Diablo 2 LOD crashes on startup in macOS Mojave

Mac Technical Support
Hello,

I purchased Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 LOD recently within the last week and a half and have been disappointed in the support and performance of Diablo II on macOS Mojave 10.14.2.

The 1.14d patch has been applied to Diablo 2.

Diablo II only launches to play about 1 in 30 start attempts. When launching the "Diablo II.app" 1 of the following issues are encountered:

the Blizzard Error for Diablo II will pop up. I leave the "Send to Blizzard" check box enabled and close out the window.

the Diablo II icon continues to bounce in the dock eventually stopping after about 30-120 seconds. Game does not launch; no error message.

the Diablo II icon continues to bounce in the dock. "Force Quit" is required to end process.

Deleting "/Applications/Diablo II/Battle.net Cache" does not help in getting the game launched.

If the Blizzard Error for Diablo II pops up, there is a Crash.txt entry in "/Applications/Diablo II/BlizzardError/[CCYY]-[MM]-[DD] [hh].[mm].[ss]".

<Application>Diablo II
<Inspector.ProjectId>264
<Inspector.Module>Diablo II
<Inspector.Milestone>D2 1.14d
<Inspector.BuildNumber>77
<Inspector.Platform>OSX
<Inspector.IssueType>Exception
<Inspector.Priority>1 - Critical
<Inspector.PrimaryAssignment>.ClassicErrorReporter
<Inspector.Assignments>.ClassicErrorReporter
<Locale.Game> English
<Locale.System> English
<Game.Type> Client
<Game.Build> 79b7ae8fe1e97d05d57ebdc4b65bf012d38c797e
<Inspector.Summary:>
EXC_BAD_ACCESS (KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x342E4A78)
<:Inspector.Summary>
<Inspector.Assertion:>
Thread 0x00000303 [Stack Base: 0xbffbe000 Used Space: 12448/8388608 bytes]
<:Inspector.DebugModules>
<Inspector.HashBlock:>
Mac
EXC_BAD_ACCESS
================================================================================
Thread 0x00000303 [Stack Base: 0xbffbe000 Used Space: 12448/8388608 bytes]
0 0x0006FFBB "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 176571
1 0x0006FE68 "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 176232
2 0x0006FAE5 "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 175333
3 0x0006FB4B "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 175435
4 0x0006FB4B "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 175435
5 0x0006FB4B "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 175435
6 0x0006F61B "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 174107
7 0x0006EB5F "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 171359
8 0x0006478B "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 129419
9 0x00331644 "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 3065924
10 0x001E0CFD "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 1687293
11 0x001DD1CB "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 1672139
12 0x001DDEB1 "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 1675441
13 0x001DFA5B "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 1682523
14 0x00044E35 "com.blizzard.DiabloII" start + 53
<:Inspector.HashBlock>

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Same here would like some help, thank you.
Something helped? It seems only a mac restart does the trick?
Same here
Same here.
i have the same issue. game launched once,, but now crashes everytime on (before) startup. waiting for a fix
Hey all, thanks for the reports so far! Diablo II Checking over, the crashes are all over the place, but some what similar with the EXC_BAD_ACCESS, so permission issues seem to be the primary culprit right now. Does a fresh reinstall help? Would you happen to have Filevault on? Does it continue on a New Admin account?
I have the exact same issue. I've tried everything Caterpepi has suggested and it has not worked. I've even given diablo full disk access, a permission only one other app on my macbook.

Diablo runs fine off a fresh install, I opened it and closed it like 8 times. The crashes begin to happen after I install the patch: The 1.14d patcher directly from the blizzard website as well as the diablo in game patcher when I click on 'battle.net' for the first time. Not sure if I pointed this out earlier but to patch the second way I need to double-click bnupdate.app instead of going through the in game patcher because the game crashes while patching through diablo itself. Either way the game crashes after both patching processes.
Same issue here. Just started happening today.
Keep trying it! I am on Mac and sometimes it takes 10 to 20 times, and then suddenly it launches and remains stable until blue tooth is turned off or on.
I have not been able to find consistently reproducible steps, either way to make it fail or to have it work (failing seems to be the more common outcome), but after a restart, it usually seems to start up for me.

I'm not sure if I am imagining this or not, but it does seem to fail more often when Diablo II is in the dock, which it seems to be after running it and shutting it down. If I manually remove it from the dock, I think I have better luck launching it again without errors, though the frequency does not seem to be repeatable enough to be a pattern.

Sometimes, when it doesn't start up, I try opening the installer, which has the option to "Play Diablo II" and that sometimes works, when the shortcut does not.

FWIW, I have Bluetooth off, and don't toggle it on/off, as I do not use any Bluetooth peripherals.
This game has been crashing for 2 years on Mac now.
Still crashing and I just wasted money on the game and expansion. Blizzard can you not fix this?
To Reproduce do the following
- Download and install D2-1.14b-Installer-enGB, don't run the game
- Download and install D2LOD-1.14b-Installer-enGB, don't run the game
- if you launch the diablo 2 game, it starts downloading a patch, it closes the game, tries to patch itself and succeeds with registry errors.
- then the game crashes or never launches

Another way
- Download and install D2-1.14b-Installer-enGB, don't run the game
- if you launch the diablo 2 game, it starts downloading a patch, it closes the game, tries to patch itself and succeeds with registry errors.
- then the game crashes or never launches
Wow, I bought this game and installed it on Mojave and am having the same crash problems. This is super cool.

Remember when Blizzard fixed problems with their games and the games worked!

Blizzard sucks....