External Hard Drive use on a MacBook Air with Mojave?

Mac Technical Support
I'm running on a 2014 MacBook Air, with OS Mojave.

The only Blizzard game I play is WoW, and it runs perfectly well on my Mac. The thing is, my internal HD has only 120 GB of space, and WoW takes up most of that (I only have 9.5 GB free).

I have an external HD that has plenty of space to hold the files for WoW. Initially, I had the Battle.Net app stored on my internal, and through the app I installed WoW onto the external. When I tried to run it, it either didn't work (The WoW icon kept bouncing on my Dock), or it would open a region select window, and upon trying to confirm my region, it just froze up and refused to respond.

To clarify about when I tried using the external, I had the "Battle.net", "Blizzard", and "Blizzard Entertainment" folders in the Application Support folder in the library. I had the "World of Warcraft" folder on the external, and all of the WoW files were there.

Is there any way for me to play WoW on this mac, but have the actual game files of WoW stored on my external so that I have more space on the internal?
Heya Bloodhound22,

I highly recommend installing the Blizzard launcher to the main storage drive that has your MacOS on it.

The games are fine to install on external drives, but the external drive will need to be APFS formatted. Our games will not work on a Mac using NTFS, exFAT, or FAT32 file formats.

Drive Formatting instructions is available through the Apple website. For questions and assistance with that process, please contact Apple directly.

Side note, be sure to use USB 3.0 or faster transfer speed external drives. USB 2.0 or slower transfer speeds will not work for our games. Generally they will freeze/disconnect while loading or encounter other strange errors due to the slow transfer rates.
6-7-2019 at 1:33 PM - PDT

@Kaldraydis,

Late last year in the WoW Mac Tech Support Forums, I read that WoW "does not yet support APFS Format"... IF this is still true, then Bloodhound22 should use HFS+ Format for the External Drive.

I've prepared my drives in this way:

[Hackintosh - iMac 18,3 Profile:]

Primary MacOS SSD in APFS Format, Battle . net App on Primary SSD in Applications Folder, Blizzard Games on Tertiary Drive, (Internal in my case), in HFS+ Format.

All games work well, no issues to report.

[cMP 5,1:]

Primary SSD in HFS+ Format, (standing by to Upgrade to Mojave which will convert to APFS), Battle . net App on Primary SSD in Applications Folder, Blizzard Games on Tertiary Drive, (Bay 4 - Internal), in HFS+ Format.

All games work well, no issues to report.

Both my machines are on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 - (17G7024). The cMP 5,1 has a Mac NVIDIA GTX-970 4GB GDDR5 VRAM Card - Primary Card, and a Secondary EVGA GTX-1050 2GB GDDR5 VRAM Card.

The Hackintosh - iMac 18,3 Profile System has a MacVidCards' NVIDIA GTX-1070 8GB GDDR5 VRAM Card - Primary Card, and a Secondary EVGA GTX-1050 2GB GDDR5 VRAM Card.

Patiently awaiting Apple and NVIDIA to halt their corporate hostilities and get Mojave Web Drivers released.

IF Bloodhound22 IS on Mojave and has accidentally Formatted his External Drive as APFS and is having these issues, then per suggestions I've read in WoW Mac Forums he should try reformatting the External Drive in HFS+.

UNLESS; however, Blizzard has fixed WoW recently, and the WoW Forums have NOT caught up to this fact and now APFS is working for WoW - as you are suggesting.

Please clarify. Thanks.

[EDIT:]

1:53 PM - PDT

Forgot to mention, I think it was also recommended that GUID be set for the External Drive as well.