Warcraft 3 - Mac - 1.31 problem

Mac Technical Support
Hello, i am having the same issue as most Mac users since 1.31 patch!!
I can't play warcraft 3 anymore unless i type the following command in a terminal:

exec /Applications/Warcraft\ III/x86_64/Warcraft\ III.app/Contents/MacOS/Warcraft\ III -graphicsapi OpenGL

Moreover CustomKeys are not working anymore.
I know mac users is just a small part of warcraft 3 community but could you please tell me if you intend to fix it before warcraft 3 Reforged?
Hi Bonaventure,

I had the issue with CustomeKeys on mac as well and found that if you place the CustomKeys.txt file within the Warcraft III/x86_64 directory it worked for me.

*Worked = was working* -- now I can't get the program to open as it crashes as soon as I start the program :( -- I am starting warcraft by double clicking the app in the x86_64 directory. When I try the terminal command you have above. I can hear the game sound but I do not see the game window. If I close the terminal the sound goes away.

Let me know if placing the CustomKeys.txt file in the Warcraft III/x86_64 directory works for you.

If you have any further pointers on the terminal command you are running for me that'd be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Another mac user trying to play this game. . .
Hi mongo,

The terminal command is still working for me (i'm on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5).
But the CustomKeys.txt, even if placed into x86_64 directory does not work.

I think you might have different behavior regarding the Mac computer you have and OS.

In my view only a patch can fix this.

Good luck my friend!
06/22/2019 08:06 PMPosted by mongochubxz
Hi Bonaventure,

I had the issue with CustomeKeys on mac as well and found that if you place the CustomKeys.txt file within the Warcraft III/x86_64 directory it worked for me.

*Worked = was working* -- now I can't get the program to open as it crashes as soon as I start the program :( -- I am starting warcraft by double clicking the app in the x86_64 directory. When I try the terminal command you have above. I can hear the game sound but I do not see the game window. If I close the terminal the sound goes away.

Let me know if placing the CustomKeys.txt file in the Warcraft III/x86_64 directory works for you.

If you have any further pointers on the terminal command you are running for me that'd be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Another mac user trying to play this game. . .

First I wanna say that command made the game playable again! There were blatant graphics and stability issues, which got worse on the switch to 64bit, and making it run under a presumably different graphics API worked. StarCraft II literally has the ability to changed APIs within the menus, and seems odd Blizzard hasn't made that an across the board UI feature. Either way, this is definitely something Blizzard needs to fix!

On the quoted post, I have noticed a bug where if you are on a different space than where the game opens then the game itself might not manifest visually. I find this happens consistently when I leave but don't quit the game, and then click on the WarCraft dock icon when on a different space. Hope that makes sense. The work around is to make sure you are on the game's space when you are opening the game. I have most games specifically set to space 3, so I just know to go there. Hope that helps!
Update: its still crashing, but a lot less. The most annoying crash continues to be while its saving, because the save is literally lost, forcing me to start the level over. Looks like I'll have to start using my nuanced constant saved procedure of bouncing off more than one save file name ...