Blizzard needs to resolve server instability

General Discussion
I'm gonna start off positive. I'm really enjoying the new ladder, the fact that theres already bots is irrelevant to me, people seem more eager to help quest or mf with you now. The fact that the ladder is even reset still after so long is incredible. This game is truly a relic of a different era of gaming, and it still holds up. The different upgrades they have done the account features are very convenient and I appreciate them... but they have caused their own issues.

Now I'm gonna be negative. I've been playing since the ladder reset (sorc at 85, nec at 73), and in these 9 days since then, where I play most days, sometimes every other day, I've had 7 games disappear on me. I have not lost any items so I'm not asking for anything back, but it is still incredibly annoying. Now I've also played on bnet for the past 4 ladders, so I'm familiar that games will sometimes disappear and then you get fail to join for 15 mins before you can rejoin... But it seems to me this 15 mins of FTJ is archaic and needs to be removed since. The alternate solution would be to fix the servers properly so games don't drop for no reason, but I'm not sure it's even possible, could be a core D2 bug for all I know.

The reason I'm posting about this now is because previously I would get about 7 disappeared games over the course of 6 months. Now it's about 1 a day. This is unacceptable in my opinion. It completely ruins the flow of playing and takes you out of it. It really is feeling like they are catering to people who bot just so they can do ban waves and re sell more copies of D2. Because a bot certainly wouldn't mind waiting 15 minutes but as a person I'm quite annoyed by it every day now.

Anyways my 15 mins is about up... so what do you think? Do you think D2 ladders will even be running for many years longer? Or will they keep it running as long it's profitable, hence the recent deterioration in quality?
Yeah, getting dropped from a game and having to wait 15-20 minutes is a pain. Lvl 85 sorc here.

In my experience, it's cause is due to connection problem between you and Blizzard, even if your connection seems to be perfectly fine doing other things. Somewhere along the connection path there is likely some intermittent loss and/or occasional ping spikes which wrecks havoc on UDP connections. Diablo 2 uses both UDP and TCP for gameplay. TCP has error correction for dropped packets and corrupted packets, and the packets must be received in order. UDP does not have correction for dropped packets and very weak correction for corrupted packets, and can arrive in any order.

I have had this problem happen many times before, and it happens a lot more frequently when my connection is having trouble. I had it happen 2-3 times last season, I've not had it happen once this season so far. Several years ago I had trouble with my ISP for about a 6 month period due to an overloaded node where I was, which made Diablo 2 unplayable at peak usage times.

Perhaps you should make a log of when the drops happen, that way you can zero in on time frames where it's probably not best to play.
I'm having great time this ladder enjoying my progression and trading in game items for items. I have a lvl 84 barbarian whom has just arrived in the Flayer Jungle and I have a lvl 74 Sorceress who has just arrived in Hell.

I'm experiencing the same issues mentioned above by Toby and Jedi, but I'm also experiencing daily game crashes, a mild desync at times, I also get blacked out square patches on The River of Flame, I sometimes get a complete blacking out of the game when leaving or joining a game which I can't window key out of the game right away to close the app.

I also get a similar blacking out but there are some distorted colours of reds and yellows. This particular problem happens in random areas and not in town. The only way out of this is to rapidly window key and close the app, as save and exit is not accessible. Because I only play hardcore I find this all very unnerving.

Edit: On doing my Hell Diablo quest (solo of course) Lord De Seis changed his aura from Fanaticism to Holy Freeze after I taunted away all his minions from him and killed them. Also, Blood Raven cursed my merc with either Howl or Terror? I kill her a 1000 times per ladder and I've never seen this.
I've noticed a lot of servers crashing this season, and even before the season started. Makes me think there's some troublemakers behind it. Hope it gets fixed soon either way. Connection interrupted and unable to make games for a while is the result of the server crashing.
I hope you're listening, Blizzard? This connection interruption needs to be looked into. If there are criminals crashing your servers to create dupes, you need to find them and take legal action, using a heavy legal hand to make an example of them. Forget the fines, ask to have them locked up for 2-5 with a 350lb cell-mate named Spike so they can play the mommy and daddy game with him.
Just now on the back end of the River of Flame a crowd of Abyss Knights where firing their spells at my merc and I while we took out a pack of Urdars, but the spell projectiles were not showing - we were getting hit, sounds and damage, just no spell visuals from the AK, though they were going through the spell casting motions, which is really weird to look at.

Edit: It happened twice, one pack of AK after the other. Both cases were unique packs and the both had Amp.
06/24/2019 05:12 AMPosted by AtomicPunk
I hope you're listening, Blizzard? This connection interruption needs to be looked into. If there are criminals crashing your servers to create dupes, you need to find them and take legal action, using a heavy legal hand to make an example of them. Forget the fines, ask to have them locked up for 2-5 with a 350lb cell-mate named Spike so they can play the mommy and daddy game with him.

It's because you are playing too many hours per day, it is agaisnt the rule to play more than 15 minutes at a time per hour, Only make two games per hour, and wait 20 minutes between two game creations.

Follow the rules and no restrictions, Like everyone.
06/25/2019 07:05 PMPosted by ktsr

It's because you are playing too many hours per day, it is agaisnt the rule to play more than 15 minutes at a time per hour, Only make two games per hour, and wait 20 minutes between two game creations.

Follow the rules and no restrictions, Like everyone.

Those are the old restrictions... and have since been upped. Anyways I'm talking about something completely different. When you are sitting in a game playing and after 20 minutes it just drops everyone and then the game doesn't exist. This is what makes me think it's entirely on Blizzard's end, whether their fault or not is up for debate tho.

Anyways I'm pretty sure that they are not listening. Or if they are they sure don't want to give off the impression that any of these issues matter to them.