Suggestion: Stop VPN bans

General Discussion
Dear Diablo II team: I know, resources are thin on the ground and making a structural change may not be in the cards. But please, could you stop banning players using VPNs?

I get it: When the rule was put in place, a VPN was a rare beast and possibly a red flag pointing to nefarious activities.

But things have changed over the years; an increasing number of people use a VPN, sometimes occasionally, sometimes permanently, for a multitude of valid and legal reasons, including basic computer security.

I surmise that, by forcing players to disable their VPN to play your game, you are effectively making the whole infrastructure far less secure, on top of putting some of your players at risk.

And those temp bans when you forget to turn it off are unforgivingly annoying.

Thanks for your attention.
And what, have the game plagued by spam bots again? These spam bot owners slam the servers and games every 30 seconds with walls of text and whispers trying to get you to go to their website to buy illegally sold Blizzard IP. You know the type of people I'm talking about, the ones who need to use a vpn to hide their illegal activities from the authorities. You know, paedos, hackers, copyright infringement torrenters, all of whom also plague the D2 servers.
No thank you.
Signed.

I can understand that they don't let you connect from a known VPN IP, but flagging your keys and preventing you from connecting at all, from a regular connection, for several days or weeks is just plain stupid.

A VPN is a must-have in a lot of countries these days. Simply forgetting to disconnect your VPN before launching the game shouldn't reward you with a week-long ban. A lot of legit players are falling victim to this.

Surely there's got to be another solution to preventing spammers and bots. Even if there isn't, I'd rather be able to play the game with bots and spammers than not being able to play at all...
Why do you need VPN? What kind of nasty stuff are you into
06/25/2019 11:31 AMPosted by ConanTheBarb
There are a lot of people who need VPN for work related tasks. Some tasks require their system being connected to the physical network domain of their work-place, so a VPN is the way to do it.
06/25/2019 12:23 PMPosted by TheDarkJedi
06/25/2019 11:31 AMPosted by ConanTheBarb
There are a lot of people who need VPN for work related tasks. Some tasks require their system being connected to the physical network domain of their work-place, so a VPN is the way to do it.
yes but i am pretty sure you are not playing Diablo 2 over your companies VPN in their network.
06/25/2019 12:27 PMPosted by Birze
yes but i am pretty sure you are not playing Diablo 2 over your companies VPN in their network.
Yeah, but people get done with their work related task and forget they have their VPN open, they decide to play Diablo 2, Blizzard sees the VPN connection and slaps them with a restriction.
06/25/2019 12:34 PMPosted by TheDarkJedi
Yeah, but people get done with their work related task and forget they have their VPN open, they decide to play Diablo 2, Blizzard sees the VPN connection and slaps them with a restriction.
Then it still seems that from this small player base Diablo 2 has left, there must be a big chunk if people using their company VPN and forget to switch them off after work.
06/25/2019 12:34 PMPosted by TheDarkJedi

So stop forgetting the VPN is open, that isn't blizzard's problem to deal with? They are dealing with the issues on battle.net

including basic computer security.

No. I have an idea why you might think this but I am 99% sure the reason _you think_ is not the correct application for this...

I'm pretty sure Blizzard didn't pull notes from a random hat and just decide to make this a thing because they were bored. (maybe they were but still) this solves problems and anyone dedicated enough will get around these problems. It's just a bit harder to bot now (and I don't mean johnny the 12 year old kid in his parents basement).

I don't see a valid reason to use a "VPN", if you can tell me a valid reason that I can't refute then I will switch the way I think about this, but until that day comes the "VPN bans" are completely and irrefutably justified. Prove me wrong.

sometimes permanently

Okay, what? That means temporarily; unless you are multi-boxing or something?
06/25/2019 02:38 PMPosted by Glyph
I don't see a valid reason to use a "VPN", if you can tell me a valid reason that I can't refute then I will switch the way I think about this, but until that day comes the "VPN bans" are completely and irrefutably justified. Prove me wrong.

If you live in China and many other countries, you literally need a VPN to protect your privacy and to be able to connect to stuff at all.

Many hotels and also university campi are also under VPN.
06/24/2019 11:06 PMPosted by AtomicPunk
And what, have the game plagued by spam bots again? These spam bot owners slam the servers and games every 30 seconds with walls of text and whispers trying to get you to go to their website to buy illegally sold Blizzard IP. You know the type of people I'm talking about, the ones who need to use a vpn to hide their illegal activities from the authorities. You know, paedos, hackers, copyright infringement torrenters, all of whom also plague the D2 servers.
No thank you.

They blocked spambots before blocking vpns.
06/25/2019 07:06 PMPosted by ktsr
06/24/2019 11:06 PMPosted by AtomicPunk
No thank you.

No they didn't, they've been blocking various vpns for more than half a decade. The spam bots were blocked because of another vpn block that the spammer was using, shortly after that all free vpns were blocked from b.net.
06/25/2019 06:37 PMPosted by OShogun
06/25/2019 02:38 PMPosted by Glyph

If you live in China and many other countries, you literally need a VPN to protect your privacy and to be able to connect to stuff at all.

Many hotels and also university campi are also under VPN.
That's a China problem, not a western world problem. Your argument is completely moot.
06/25/2019 09:29 PMPosted by AtomicPunk
06/25/2019 07:06 PMPosted by ktsr

No they didn't, they've been blocking various vpns for more than half a decade. The spam bots were blocked because of another vpn block that the spammer was using, shortly after that all free vpns were blocked from b.net.

They did get rid of spambots before the IP restrictions, once again you are talking non sense and you are miss informed BearTribe.
06/25/2019 09:31 PMPosted by AtomicPunk
That's a China problem, not a western world problem. Your argument is completely moot.

D2 has an Asian gateway though. It's not a game for the "western world" only.

But even if you're not on china, if you connect to public wi-fis like, say, cafes or hotels without using a VPN, you are very vulnerable. So yeah, if someone wants to open up their laptop on Starbucks and play some Diablo, are not aware of the restriction and get banned for that... Yeah that doesn't sound fun.
06/26/2019 05:10 AMPosted by OShogun
06/25/2019 09:31 PMPosted by AtomicPunk

D2 has an Asian gateway though. It's not a game for the "western world" only.

But even if you're not on china, if you connect to public wi-fis like, say, cafes or hotels without using a VPN, you are very vulnerable. So yeah, if someone wants to open up their laptop on Starbucks and play some Diablo, are not aware of the restriction and get banned for that... Yeah that doesn't sound fun.
This forum and the world we live in are Western. Blizzard may cater to China, but it is a different planet with laws and corruption that do not apply to any of us outside of China.
I feel empathy for the people who are censored by their countries and governments and stripped of their rights of safely utilizing communications and having their privacy protected, as well as being able to enjoy some entertainment.

I am not commenting necessarily on allowing VPN or not, and not even talking to you in the first place. I was merely replying to the other guy that said there are no legitimate reasons to use a VPN, when there are indeed many. A VPN is a poweful tool, very used by anyone who needs to access some sort of remote network infrastructure for a number of legitimate and legal reasons. The difference between a tool and a weapon is only the user's intentions.
06/26/2019 09:25 AMPosted by OShogun
I feel empathy for the people who are censored by their countries and governments and stripped of their rights of safely utilizing communications and having their privacy protected, as well as being able to enjoy some entertainment.

I am not commenting necessarily on allowing VPN or not, and not even talking to you in the first place. I was merely replying to the other guy that said there are no legitimate reasons to use a VPN, when there are indeed many. A VPN is a poweful tool, very used by anyone who needs to access some sort of remote network infrastructure for a number of legitimate and legal reasons. The difference between a tool and a weapon is only the user's intentions.
There are no "legitimate" reasons to use a vpn unless you're an internet criminal of some kind.
06/26/2019 09:40 AMPosted by AtomicPunk
There are no "legitimate" reasons to use a vpn unless you're an internet criminal of some kind.

My university offers a VPN service in order to access their research network remotely from anywhere in the planet. I think most universities do.

I guess every researcher in the world is acriminal now.