Suggestion: Stop VPN bans

General Discussion
We are not permitted to connect to classic B.net with a business ISP, universities are businesses and are included in the restriction.

So, they are not part of the conversation.

What's left?

Residential ISPs!

Which is all that Blizzard supports when connecting to B.net.

Who, at home, would need a vpn?

Hackers/criminals? Yes. Torrenters stealing copyright content/criminals? Yes. Dark Web illegal content/criminals? Yes. Adult Entertainment Junkies/degenerates? Yes. Battle.net hackers/black marketers/criminals? Yes.

Legit B.net gamers? No.
Hahaha
07/01/2019 01:02 AMPosted by AtomicPunk
We are not permitted to connect to classic B.net with a business ISP, universities are businesses and are included in the restriction.

So, they are not part of the conversation.

What's left?

Residential ISPs!

This is a very GOOD response. The conversation would have ended a LOT better if you responded with this specifics rather than taking a militias approach in a rage against anybody who is simply trying to clarify or express a different view.

However, I would say it would be a LOT better if Blizzard could come up with a way to differentiate people who genuinely made a mistake from those who they are trying to ban.

As we all know, unlike some 20-30 years ago, now days depending on the nature of their job, people work from home a lot. Also people work after hours a lot too. So it is not uncommon for people to take their company laptops home and need to do some work after hours.

People also go oncall a lot (Back then when I used to work in Operational Support, I get calls in the evening, and weekend very often), so it is very much possible that people are in the middle of a D2 game, and they get a call to resolve a critical issue. So they stop playing, connect to their company networks from home, resolve the issue and instinctively open D2 again while forgetting to log off from company networks.

Or they could be doing some jobs after hours, their brains get tired, so they take a break, play a game or two and forget to disconnect from company networks before opening the game.

In those cases, it would really be great if Blizzard somehow has a way to differentiate those honest mistake from real hacks.

If Blizzard doesn't have such a capability to distinguish between the two, then they can't... but don't go on flame people for wishing Blizzard to have this level of capability.

People. Who. Work. From. Home.

Anyway, this is the last comment I'll make in this thread since it's leading nowhere. Discussing with people who don't know absolutely anything about computer security and IT technologies in general, and yet for some reason has some very strong opinions about this subject they don't know !@#$ about isn't really productive.
07/01/2019 06:40 AMPosted by OShogun

Ooooh, all those self employed D2 players busy building a business while playing video games with a vpn. I understand now.

Anyway, this is the last comment I'll make in this thread since it's leading nowhere. Discussing with people who don't know absolutely anything about computer security and IT technologies in general, and yet for some reason has some very strong opinions about this subject they don't know !@#$ about isn't really productive.

I absolutely agree.

p.s. if anyone wants to entertain this further you can find me on discord. Glyph#5255
07/02/2019 01:30 AMPosted by AtomicPunk

Ooooh, all those self employed D2 players busy building a business while playing video games with a vpn. I understand now.

What does it matter to you if people use VPN services? All of your statements are categorically false. You sound like a retired boomer.
07/02/2019 08:27 PMPosted by BattleBot
07/02/2019 01:30 AMPosted by AtomicPunk
...Ooooh, all those self employed D2 players busy building a business while playing video games with a vpn. I understand now.

What does it matter to you if people use VPN services?
It doesn't matter to me. Blizzard blocked free vpn's for a reason, they are not going to stop. They are not needed to play on b.net. All of you should should quit your crying over the matter. You sound like a bunch of hens. lol