Killing Hell Temptress in WSK level 3.

General Discussion
I was just running WSK again tonight and I ran into those Hell Temptress in WSK level 3, which actually annoyed me a lot.

They are not difficult to kill, but for some reasons, it requires more effort than killing other monsters to kill those off.

Now there is also a different variation called "Hell Witch" in Throne of Destruction. Comparing those 2 monsters, I notice:

1. Hell Temptress is physical immmune while Hell Witch is ice immune
2. Hell Temptress is physically much bigger than Hell Witch.

But otherwise they appear to be qutie similar in the sense that:

1. Both shoot those "blood star" magic from a distance.
2. Both would use a meelee kick attack when you get in their meelee range.
3. Both cast some kind of curse on you (lower your defence, amp dmg, etc...)

For some strange reasons, it is much eaiser to kill Hell Witches than to kill Hell Temptress.

I mean the Hell Temptress are NOT difficult to kill. They die to a few Fireball shots pretty quickly. However, every time I run into a group of Hell Temptress, they always come in a group of 5 or more and all of them would shoot a volley of their blood star magic, and for some reasons those blood star magic look so big that they fill up half of my screen. Sometimes there are so many of those blood stars that my eyes go dizzy and my merc gets killed before I even realize what is going on. So while I can still handle those, but the experience of killing them can be quite annoying. Fireball just doesn't seem to stun lock them like it can stun lock other monsters for some reasons and a lot of the time, they manage to retaliate a shot to me which breaks my fireball flows and forces me to retreat a bit before I manage to start shooting fireballs at them again.

At the other hand, I don't feel so annoyed killing Hell Witches in Throne of Destruction. Hell Witches seem to be quite straight forward and killing them is a relatively easy job.
The strange thing is, since those 2 monsters are so similar to each other, I expected them to be killed equally easily.

Didn't think the experience with killing them are so drastically different.
Long range approach (takes more time, but safer): Mass fireball spam at them. Your fireball has the longest range of any spell in Diablo 2, take advantage of it. Zig-zag teleport between fireball volleys to avoid the blood star spam. Watch your merc, because he can get easily overwhelmed when a huge glob of the blood stars hit him.

Close range (quickest way to kill, but more risky): If you have enough FCR, you can telefireball packs of them fairly easily. Wait for the target pack to fire their first volley of blood stars, then teleport right into the pack and start fireballing. Getting close in will make them try and melee attack you, which if you have enough life/defense/reduction you should be fine. Keep an eye for closing blood stars from other packs and be ready to teleport away in a hurry.

Side note: If you happen to get the temptresses spawned with the frenzy Death Lords, you are in for a rough ride. Recommend extreme caution if trying to clear with cold/fire sorc, or just teleskip the level.
07/01/2019 07:22 AMPosted by TheDarkJedi
Side note: If you happen to get the temptresses spawned with the frenzy Death Lords, you are in for a rough ride. Recommend extreme caution if trying to clear with cold/fire sorc, or just teleskip the level.

You get those Frenzy Dudes spawn with Hell Witches in Thrones too.

By the way, do you know the reason why Hell Witches are far less annoying to deal with compare to Hell Temptress? I thought they more or less belong to the same category of monsters so theoretically they should be equally easy or equally difficult to kill.
The Hell Temptress fire resist is 66% instead of 50% for the Hell Witch.
I was just having a moment to remember what I saw last night when playing.

It now occurs to me that it seems their AI are slightly different in some ways.

I remember that Hell Temptress don't seem to chase you when you retreat (or maybe they do, but they only chase a very short distance before stopping). They more often would stay where they are. When you think you are prepared to fight them again, the moment they see you they just start shooting blood star and filling the entire screen with those blood star again. This makes it annoying in the sense that while it is not enough to kill you, but your merc 90% of the time just recklessly walk into those blood star and lose more than half of his health.

Hell Witches at the other hand, seem to be more eager to engage you in melee after firing a few blood stars at you. I seem to notice when I retreat (teleport or run back), one or two of those will give chase and break their formation and I just fireball them easily.

Also I am not sure if I was seeing this incorrectly last night, but the size of the blood star shot by Hell Temptress look significantly bigger than those shot by Hell Witches.
As far as the WS2/3, I love the fetish blowdarter spawns. Tons of 'em, they die quick, plenty of drops. I like it when the specters, storm casters and burning souls spawn too. (increased rune drop chance)

"Burning souls?!" you say.. Yeah that's right. The zig-zag teleport/walk approach comes in handy to get close to them while avoiding their lightning. Lets say your general direction is to move right... Teleport right, then immediately walk up or down a few yards. This advance/parry approach will dodge most incoming projectiles from all monsters. When you spot the pack of burning souls, teleport into the pack the instant you see them cast their lightning which is almost always immediately when they come on screen, and fireball the pack, they die quick.

Obviously you want a healthy amount of lightning resists and life tackling these guys. It's probably not advisable to do this if there are multiple burning soul packs in the same room. If you are trying to find a good vantage point to start your next attack, run in an outward spiral pattern. Do not walk directly away or towards any of them in a straight line if you can help it. You need to be agile and accurate with mouse movement, and it helps if you don't have the reaction time of the average sloth. :)
07/01/2019 04:38 PMPosted by TheDarkJedi
As far as the WS2/3, I love the fetish blowdarter spawns. Tons of 'em, they die quick, plenty of drops. I like it when the specters, storm casters and burning souls spawn too. (increased rune drop chance)

Yea, the specters, storm caster and souls all die pretty quickly. I don't particularly mind the fetish dudes, but I don't quite fancy them either. They are in large numbers so that's good about them, but they are fire immune so they are a bit annoying to kill with Orb. I'd be much happier if they are not fire immune so I can fireball them easily or drop a meteor or two since they tend to clump together very tightly.

07/01/2019 04:38 PMPosted by TheDarkJedi
The zig-zag teleport/walk approach comes in handy to get close to them while avoiding their lightning.

I just teleport into them if I can. If not, I teleport back a bit preferably into a "turn", and when this happens they usually break formation and start chasing me and die to my fireballs.

Sometimes I just outright tank their lightening damage. I was able to create a "prismatic amulet of Squid" last night (magic ammy + 6 P gems). It gives me +20 resist to all (6 less than the +26 to all I was using before) and +71 HP (why can't it be of whales suffix, dammit....). I think +20 resist is the highest you can get on resist with this formula.

So I now have over 990 HP and together with +75 lightening resist, I can survive 2 full volleys of lightening from something like 5-7 souls before having to think about healing, and I just kill those ouls before they can kill me.

So yea, souls don't scare me any more.
Sanctuary Shield.
07/02/2019 01:35 AMPosted by AtomicPunk
Sanctuary Shield.

I don't think Sanctuary Shield is really going to help in my instance because:

a) I already have pretty good resistance. I can tank quite a few of those lightening hits from sous before even thinking about healing so I am not overly concerned with resistance at this stage.

b) The blood star magic shot by those Hell Temptress appear to do physical damage, or at least partially physical. They apparently are blockable by a shield, which leads me think it is treated as a physical missle attack rather than an elemental attack. Also I notice my HP drops significantly faster when hit by those blood star while under amplified damage curse compare to when I am not cursed. So it looks like damage reduction (which Sanctuary doesn't offer) would help more in this case. Happy to hear your thoughts or suggest otherwise.
You should make some Youtube videos if you aren't already. I'm sure this is the type of game play people want to see, learn from, and of course criticize. Sure beats watching the news these days.
07/02/2019 04:26 PMPosted by BFG9000
07/02/2019 01:35 AMPosted by AtomicPunk
Sanctuary Shield.

I don't think Sanctuary Shield is really going to help in my instance because:

a) I already have pretty good resistance. I can tank quite a few of those lightening hits from sous before even thinking about healing so I am not overly concerned with resistance at this stage.

b) The blood star magic shot by those Hell Temptress appear to do physical damage, or at least partially physical. They apparently are blockable by a shield, which leads me think it is treated as a physical missle attack rather than an elemental attack. Also I notice my HP drops significantly faster when hit by those blood star while under amplified damage curse compare to when I am not cursed. So it looks like damage reduction (which Sanctuary doesn't offer) would help more in this case. Happy to hear your thoughts or suggest otherwise.
Blah, blah, blah, blah! I'll say it again, Sanctuary Shield.