IPv6 is again (still?) breaking Diablo 2 & LOD for Mac

Mac Technical Support
2016 MacBook Pro 15-inch with Radeon Pro 460, fresh wipe and install of macOS 10.14.5.

Fresh download and install of Diablo 2 and LOD gets me 1.14b, connect to Battle.net which updates to 1.14d (crashes during the patch BTW, but clicking Reopen on the crash dialog allows it to complete).

Immediately, I see the issues reported in these posts:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20758758996?page=15#post-286
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20757446628#post-1

Issues:
- The framerate drops to 1fps when the map is opened.
- Also if you enter to the TCP/IP connection menu (?)

TCP/IP games not working in Diablo 2 LoD (very 1.14D) on Mac osX 10.12.5
Try to start a Lan game through the menu the game stops responding/sound cuts in and out/as does mouse curser movement. Doesn't get past the menu.

Search this forum for fixes, all indications are that there had been Mojave/APFS/etc. problems but that it should just work now, given 10.14.4 update and latest D2 patches. Tear my hair out trying various things to no avail. Give up and play my LAN game using a 2012 MacBook Air with a 1.8GHz CPU and no GPU, because it's infinitely more usable than my 2016 MacBook Pro with Radeon.

Today, after more forum searching, I see (seemingly unrelated) battle.net issues with IPv6 from several 2014 posts, so I check my settings and see that IPv6 is set to Configure Automatically. I use the Terminal commands to disable IPv6 for each network device:

networksetup -setv6off "Wi-Fi"
networksetup -setv6off "Thunderbolt Ethernet"
(and so on...)

Fire D2 back up and everything is great; I can now host or join TCP/IP LAN multiplayer games without a hitch, and I can bring up the map in LAN games without dropping to 1fps.

Conclusion: Whether this bug is a recent regression or is simply still an outstanding/open issue, this solution needs to be much easier to find in the forums; hopefully this post will help with that.

If you are playing Diablo 2/LOD 1.14d on macOS 10.14.x and you have trouble with lag/freezing/stuttering when trying to host/join a TCP/IP LAN game and/or opening the map in a LAN game, the solution is to disable IPv6 for all active network services.