General Discussion

Jul 11, 2012 Remember the whole "D3 on Consoles" thing? http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-among-potential-buyers-for-activision-blizzard-report-6386412 I hope you guys are familiar with XBL... the yearly subscription service that lets you play Xbox 360 games online! /cryScourge7 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Nerfed what is Nerfed??Francois5 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 In Response To All Nerf Threads WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I saw this demon hunter the other day, he had 130k DPS because he stacked crit/crit damage and he can kill things a lot faster than me. His build must be overpowered. :((((((( I also saw this wizard the other day who had 90k dps with a similar gear setup and could kite/slow mobs forever while doing damage to them. Obviously overpowered as well. To top it all off, I've seen these like... videos of these people playing monks and these WDs using their zombie bear as tanks and they can like.. totally solo stuff without taking like... any damage at all! That's totally gamebreaking. Oh, and don't get me starting on barbarians. They're totally using whirlwind and sprint and like... they're actually killing stuff instead of dying in 3 hits. SO OVERPOWERED! IT'S ALL GAMEBREAKING, GAMEBREAKING I SAY! The only solution here is to nerf. Nerf everything, nerf all the classes for using their abilities and actually being able to do stuff on their own.Predator0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Moving Characters in the CHR list Hey Blizzard, Can you allow us to move our characters around in the list? I always like to keep my "main" on top. Can you allow us to sort this list of characters the same way you did for WoW? Thank youPimpablo3 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Nerf Hammer! Anyone notice that instead of fixing this game they just decide to nerf the crap out of it, and say everything else is working as intended.... And get an Authenticator! Srry im bored :/xTweeks0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 How to see DPS I see a lot of people saying how they are doing XXX Dps, yet see no screen that shows it. I saw a few videos (from beta) that had a character screen, (that showed DPS) but i guess is no longer in the game? Is there some in game way to show this or are they just doing the calculation manually?Xarkar4 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Nerfed What is Nerfed?Francois0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 THIS IS PART OF WHAT THE GAME NEEDS! This link shall be self explanatory, so I'll leave you all with it: (I don't know if it has already been posted, but if it has, sorry for that!) ... All in all, I would really like to see all of those features being brought in the game in an upcoming patch (hopefully 1.0.4?)!Hynad6 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Input limit reached? Input limit reached. Please wait to perform more actions. I was just disconnected after leaving a public game. Anyone else getting this?Xivia4 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Just did a duo NM Pony run with twink weapons Me and my GF just did NM pony runs to level our chars with twink -18 level req weapons... We were 1 shotting mobs that are +5 levels higher than us, and it felt incredible. I really hope they some how manage to finally let us feel "overpowered" in inferno, instead of some sort of nerf to game play every other patch.Whanbullets0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 RHAH/AH Item Comparison I have been waiting for Blizzard to fix the comparison windows in the RMAH/AH so that it shows the changes to your LIFE/DMG/PROTECTION like when you have it in your stash, too many times I have compared items and thought, ya that is better, spent 850k and then realize that in fact it is not better b/c of some sort of stupid thing. So when is this going to be done?KhalDrogo0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 RMAH Commodities... YAY! Too bad the rest of the game is still broken... Why blizzard must you insist on breaking the game even more buy putting crap in there that has nothing to do with the game its just another way for you to make an extra few bucks? Arcane still broken, frozen orbs.... Still broken... (Love being perma frozen till i die!) We have cooldowns but the nmes dont? Auction house is broken... yeah its broken... 100mill for a weapon that if you spend 1mill on its only 30 dps less (not all weapons but crap like that is in there)? rly? Glad to see the general chat is fixed though! and it only took 6 hrs this time! seriously WTF Blizz? Ohh and btw my Barb is too OP it makes it thru act 1 w/o dying me thinks i need to get nerfed.xTweeks0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 'Activate a Game Key' I 'purchased' the game with the Annual Pass, and I thought the game would've been pre-activated or something of the sort. My E-mails don't contain a Key as far as I know and or remember. Anyway of locating this?Holderofligh22 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 This actually looks... FUN...Take note Jay Wilson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVcsv3XWIAgSlingshot3 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Anyone getting gay !@# lag? Ever since maintenance yesterday. Lag and rubber band when bar is green. Then every 2-3 mins, I get over 1000+ PING! WTF IS THIS !@#$!?Felizio14 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Diablo 3 Endgame Suggestion: 'Survive or Die' I came up with this idea a few days ago and also made a video about it. Currently, D3 is lacking endgame content for people that cleared inferno and farmed already many hours for decent gear. You could always find better gear, but right now there isn't much point to do so and if your gear is already 99 % perfect, people tend to get bored to farm the same route every day (it's getting repetitive). My suggestion as end game is a gameplay type called 'Survive or Die' (SoD). Survive or Die takes place in an arena like Ring of Trials or Ring of Valor. It's not PvP, but PvE. SoD consists of 12 rounds, each round lasting 3 minutes. In each round, a range of different monster spawns and attacks you. More and more monsters spawn and you have to fight them off to stay alive. After 3 minutes passed, all remaining mobs of this round die and the next round begins. Every 3 rounds, there would be a boss that's hard to kill and gives additional points. There would be a score for each game (you can see the current score of your game live), and you get points for each monster killed and bonus points Bonus points could be for example goblins that randomly spawn and need to be killed quickly, if you go for goblins and risk your life you could end up dieing. Difficulty wise, each round gets harder than the previous one. For example, R1 could be A2 monsters, R2 A3 monsters, up to R10+ which would contain very strong monsters that aren't even in game yet. With a score and ranking system, people would finally have something to strive for. Improve the gear and try to beat your previous SoD score. Or try to optimise your playstyle, spec and teamwork. SoD should be doable solo and in 4 man groups which require teamplay. A multiplayer mode, where you queue up and get matched against other opponents (for example 4x 4 player groups) is also possible, and you would see the score of each team live while you are doing the SoD game. Here is the video which contains a more detailed explanation and kind of an example of this system used in an old korean MMO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emPHJpxFwwI I think this could work very well in Diablo 3 and would make the game much more attractive to people who cleared it and also increase the longevity of the game. Let me know what you think about this gameplay type and if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask them.Moldran17 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Re: Diablo3x.com 10 cool ideas I just want to say that these ideas would greatly improve the game. ESPECIALLY the ideas involving more character customization. Adding that factor would make it a ton more fun, instead of relying solely on items. My main point i want to get across in this post would be about the pvp. before it's released and ends up being flawed, I want to suggest an idea for you blues to think about. instead of just plain pvp and tournaments and such, i think incorporating a gambling system would be awesome. There could be normal pvp brawl modes and high stakes modes. Where you fight for items. Winner takes all. This would add a whole level of excitement to the game. But, more character customization is still in order for that idea. if you're fighting for items, skill should be a huge factor in pvp rather than just good items.Cstanner170 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 WW Barbarian makes me have fun Seriously. Being able to kill and not die every 14 seconds in act 3 actually made me have FUN for the first time in weeks. Albeit the loot sucked, but the combat and killing was fun cause i felt powerful and useful. all classes should be this way, or maybe we should all be boring useless chars who continue to die, thats fun rightGrafx6 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 New patch and game is up to date cycle Just got back from spec-op the line, inversion, tom clancy gt future soldiers. Man some good games. Eletricty down at home, play with laptop wireless for diablo 3. Hell on earth again, can't log in with the same problem lol.LionHeart0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Can we please hurry up and fix this? Can we PLEASE get a lock action bars option?? I am SO TIRED of pulling my skills off of my bars and losing all my stacks. It is VERY ANNOYING especially when you have been farming for hours. People have been asking for this for weeks, and yet yesterday you fix the RMAH for 3 hours and STILL haven't implemented a feature which is in EVERY SINGLE GAME WITH ACTION BARS I have EVER played. Fix this, please. I am becoming overly annoyed with this game. Also, I wanted to use the RMAH.... but guess what? You need an authenticator. I played WoW since Vanilla, I never got hacked, and I never wanted an authenticator because I always thought to myself, "Wouldn't it suck to have to carry around a keychain or my phone 24/7 just to be able to log into WoW? What if I lost my phone? What if I lost my keys?" So I avoided it like the plague because I had a feeling with the type of person that I am it would be a bad idea. Well, to use the RMAH they say I need an authenticator, fine. I did not want to use the authenticator to log in, like I NEVER HAVE, so I click the "Do not use authenticator to log in" button. Then why is it that 50% of the time I log into D3, or SC2 it asks me for my authenticator code???? I put the authenticator on a phone that I don't use anymore because it sits at home in a drawer, and I knew the odds of losing it were low. Even with the checkbox, it STILL asks me to use my authenticator... from a phone that I barely ever even CHARGE. I am becoming OVERLY ANNOYED with Blizzard and all this crap. It's always something it seems like these days. I just want to FARM. Thanks, SlickSlickers33 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 the pinnacle of good itemization Not sure if you guys have seen this Diablo 2 story before. But I recall being awestruck at this guy's determination and skill. Even if you've read it before, it's worth reading again. http://wiki.theamazonbasin.com/index.php/The_Poorman_takes_on_Uber_Tristram If the poorman is reading this: my hat goes off to you as it did when you first accomplished this feat. Kudos. As for why it's relevant. This is exactly what D3 needs in terms of itemization and what all aprg's should strive for in terms of build and item variability.cardboardbox1 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 How a poor monk fights inferno Diablo..... ....and wins! I'm not super geared.... Here's me! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY6Bc_ZYh48 Stats show at the end. Here's the skill/rune build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aYgiXQ!YZU!aaYZYc .....now I need better internets and a more stable Diablo 3 and maybe Hardcore next! Hope this helps some of my fellow monks.Seratha11 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Blizzard read this and let it humble you... Invictus6 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 ASIA server duplicate weapon??? there are 2 high end bow in the AH,but WTF the properties are all the same as each other..... duplicate bow?? http://www.flickr.com/photos/23735760@N04/7549140964/in/photostream weapon 1 http://www.flickr.com/photos/23735760@N04/7549149802/in/photostream weapon 2 http://www.flickr.com/photos/23735760@N04/7549152374/in/photostream/無聊的路人甲17 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Class with the best value? What class do you guys think is the cheapest to gear well or has the best value without spending extraordinary amounts of gold to be godly? Shouldn't it be the ranged classes like DH or Wiz since they don't typically require all resistance which is ridic expensive? I have a decently geared DH with 85k DPS (no SS) and no resists and I can farm Act 2 without dying. I can't do Act 3 as well, but still - I didn't have to pay for AR.LeSeanMcCoy18 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Unable to log in D3 Hi i am from Asia (Singapore) , whenever i try to log in , it prompts me this message: A new patch from Diablo 3 is available , the game will now close and apply the patch automaticaly, you will be able to continue playing after the patch has been applied ! however no patch at all ?? can anyone guide me how do i log in ?Stalker4 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Blue Please Read! - IAS/Crit Question This is my response and my questions about the comments you guys made on the Sticky regarding the reason for the IAS nerf, and question about Critical Strike Chance/Damage. Read below: ... The reason for the IAS nerf still doesn't make any sense. Currently, as a Barbarian it is extremely lucrative to take skills that work off Critical Strikes. Your skills SPECIFICALLY work off of Critical Strikes making it DOUBLY important to stack Critical Strike Chance. Not only does it raise your damage considerably, but it increases the effectiveness of certain builds leading players to take THOSE skills over others. For example, Battle Frenzy + Into the Fray Rune combined with Wrath of the Berserker + Thrive on Chaos SYNERGIZE. In addition to this, players lean HEAVILY towards Axes/Maces over other types of weapons because with the Weapon Master passive, you gain 10% Crit Chance. I will reiterate, this is not a problem that players gravitate towards skills and attributes that SYNERGIZE WELL, the INVERSE is actually true. It shows GOOD design when you create skills that synergize well with attributes and itemization. Diablo 3's problem is that there isn't enough of that. Itemization is incredibly linear and the skill design is fairly poor leading players to be pulled towards OBVIOUS "builds". What you guys should have done instead was take the information you gathered based on IAS and what players were doing with their builds and replicated that so players had that same benefit with OTHER builds stacking OTHER attributes. You guys do realize that currently, irregardless of build/class stacking Critical Strike Chance + Critical Strike Damage + Primary Attribute and taking skills that synergize with Crit is the OPTIMAL route for ALL players right? There is no diversification. It is exactly the same thing as IAS but not as potent.carrotfeets1 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Game is up to date, yet need to update? I used the game launcher to play the game, yet, when i tried to log in, i cant play, due to needing the game to update, but when i click to update, my luancher opens up and says game is up to date... WTF? whats the issue here?Taiga0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 I hate character development - D3 FTW Seriously, who wants to spend time allocating stats and skill points? This is an action rpg, emphasis on the action and I don't want to interrupt my gameplay by having to think about builds and stuff. I just want to click things and watch them blow up. This game is great, it blows the likes of Gauntlet Legends and Castle Crashers clean out of the water. Haters get lost. The loot is spectacular. I never have conflicts about what item to use, because typically the only way an item could be an improvement over another one is if it is the same item with bigger stats. Drops are fine. If you were meant to get a really powerful item, you would. Every time I kill a vortex arcane jailer shielding group and it drops a couple blues and a ilvl56 rare I just shrug and say "it wasn't meant to be." In short, learn to auction house, stop complaining, and enjoy the freedom you have been granted in this game to play without taxing your mental facilities too much. You only need to worry about finding better gear and have multiple ways to obtain it, via incredibly rare drops, spending dozens of man hours farming gold, or the luxury of spending cash and getting great stuff instantly. DIABLO 3 GLORIOUS!!!!!Conquest398 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Update Fail Bliz, can you do something about synchronizing your updates for all servers and home regions? What's the point to have a weekly update that locks players out for hours, and then to find that there is an update that will not patch and update (because it is not available to the home region), cause the game to terminate unexpectedly. I believe you can do better than this. Either synchronize your updates for all, or stop complicating things by have server region and home region. It worked fine in WOW, why try something horribly frustrating in D3? Fail...Seiphyer0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Inferno loot will not change At least not on the scale that these kids on here are demanding. You will not get only ilvl 60+ items in Inferno simply because that would be against just about the entire game. To say this game is random would be a lie. The areas hardly change, maybe a few different side quests. But to try and take the one completely random thing (loot) and make it drop only top tier items in Inferno? This game is RNG for a reason. Yeah you are going to get a lot of crap, but when you finally do get something that is an upgrade for yourself or an alt, it will feel a lot more rewarding (imo) than buying it off the AH. But to each his own, people are still going to complain.JaySleezay8 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 PC on super cool amulet : ) phoenixshade4 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Nerf Barbs Nerf barbs and make game balance again!SaleBG0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 I log in and it says patch required then it will close and say diablo 3 already running and not patch and this will continue to loop the newest patch 1.0.3b or what everLedinplanter8 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Possible way to fix botting? CAPTCHA I remember playing Dungeon Fighter a long time ago, and they had captcha tests randomly thrown into the game every once in a while...granted, DFO is still full of bots (mostly because of !@#$ty coding imho...horrible segmentation and background clutter...too easy to crack), but don't you think this would be a good start? Not saying it should be done while in a dungeon, but when in town it wouldn't hurt right? With luck, this could reduce the number of botters significantly, and only people with human solvers on standby could hope to keep the same level of cashflow going. What do you guys think?Lament14 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 OBVIOUS buffs to elite mob affixes? Right, I just login to try out the 1.0.3b patch with such a small patch note and try out what would it be to farm act 1 but by the time I reach the first mob with desecrator affixes I soon notice that I was used to stand on the pool of thing with my LoH being only 300 and 1.79 hits per second, 800 all resist and 8000 armor barb now feeling so hurt that if I don't keep running away from the pool of desecrator I'd die soon even I got a lucky drop and an AH bid item two days ago which upgrade me to 1.89hits per second, 950 min resist (that's on poison) and 1050 fire resist. HOW DARE YOU DOING NINJA BUFF SO OBVIOUSLY WITHOUT PUT IT IN YOUR PATCH NOTE?? I have had enough for your stupid changes by these 2 months, you said you did nerf ias for 50%, and turning it to be ~60%, its "ok" that I did not buy ias stuffs from AH and the 2 rings with a tal rasha's chest armor is from my own loot but it was the first time I feel so frustrated that you made my hard farming result of increasing DPS being droped to way back, Then when I'm still accepting that you nerfed drops from environmental objects, !@#$ it all my usable drops are from occasional drop from barrels which is FUN, and you took that away. I keep on trying to play when I've nothing to do though I played much less by that time and mostly I just keep on playing before and after the patch to see what does you guys changed. And now as I could solo act 3 alone just before the patch you just make the elemental damage from elite affixes so dumb that even act 1 elites hurts me a lot! I feel getting constantly WEAKER although my stats suggested the opposite. Worst part is it was not even in the PATCH NOTE! Is my character GETTING OLD and so he becomes weaker through time?! You have said that the end game is farming inferno for good loot and we should get easier to farm through time we have our upgrades no matter from loot or AH or RMAH, but everytime you guys "patch" something it become harder or more frustrated in some/ a hell lot of place, so you are also discouraging all players including the RMAH users to stop trying to get decent gears in all ways, BECAUSE your stealth buffs/nerf to stuffs are ALWAYS FASTER then what we could get.Chik02401 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 State of the Gold IMO(share your thoughts) I am wondering really what constitutes "well off" in this game. Based on me looking for new gear recently(after selling all my cool gear on the RMAH and leaving myself naked and re-gearin) here is what I think it is. You have: < 5 million gold you're basically on welfare and crying trying to figure out why Blizzard hates you. You can't even afford the upgrades because they seem too expensive. You take donations from nice guys who clothe you >10 million gold you're dirt poor >50 million gold you're staying alive and are in the bottom 10% >250 million gold you're doing okay >500 million You're doing well and upgrading once in a while at a good rate >750 million those Chinese botters got nothing on you. You are a beast of the market. Sadly I think I fall around the 50 million range plus and not near the 250. I did a budget barb gearing the other day for under 20 million and I realized how poor I was nowadays(I quit farming when I was better off weeks ago).Icarus3 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Asking for a Favor... Eclipze9 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Regulate forum posts selling items! I'm so freaking tired of going to class forums to look at other peoples questions or specs and having to comb through pages of people selling items because there auction slots are full. Cmon you guys don't see this also? every other post is wts godly blah blah.... blahNet2 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 ADDRESS Elemental Dmg Buffs in Inferno A week ago people have brought up concerns about the elemental damage buff / casting / movement speed in elites. I've logged over 100+ hours in the same gear in A1 and there has been a noticeable change in elites attack speed, and the elemental damage is ALOT higher. Before I could stand on mortar for 4+ seconds now it kills me in 2-3 seconds. The problem is not the buff in inferno but the lack of communication. If you buff inferno tell us. Some of us play hardcore.Bonesaw5 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Special thanks for the d2 flashback today Just started first run with new update. and a blast from the past as 15 min into the act black screen of death, dungeon goes dark can walk 40 feet each way and nothing. teleport to town fixes it and I re-enter at check point to have not 1 not 2 but 3 elite packs all molten extra fast extra health invulnerable minions in a row...so much for random. Just like drops all junk ,awesome improvement. Cant wait to see next update lol.KhulanKelet0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 @Lylirra Couple Questions! Answer please =) One thing that is burning in everyone's mind right now is the fact that level 50 items drop in inferno. My question to you is: Why do you need to be level 60 to get INTO inferno and then these items drop? Would it not make more sense that if you cannot get into inferno until level 60 that only level 60+ items would drop in that zone? What is the best way to leave feedback so that Blizzard developers may see our posts and possibly consider implementing them? I have seen quite a few decent threads with good suggestions. Any little tidbits about future itemization coming out? I know you are looking into legendaries. I was thinking more along the lines of Charms, elixirs? Different gems? Thank you!KwayZee6 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Gut-check, more rares post patch? I have had tons of rares dropping from white mobs, even before I have my 5 stack going, did I just have a lucky couple of runs or has something stealth changed?Shaggy1 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 wds and monks...the redheaded stephchildren does anyone else feel that monks and witch doctors are underpowered? have been playing monk mainly but i don't think they are as bad as witch docors... when i play pub its always wiz, barb, or dh. not many of the rest. anyone else feel this way?fishmonkey18 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 How do I buy gold from the RMAH? please help Can we buy gold from the real-money auction house? Players will be able to buy and sell gold through the real-money auction house at whatever the current market price is, as established by the player community. http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-auction-house-general-information#q19 When is this coming?icebeam8 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 New Patch game unplayable again! So the new patch went on today. I have been disconnected or frozen to the point i had to hard reboot more then 4 times today. Doing butcher runs so of course i loose my NV. Never had this many issue before the new patch. What gives? D3 completely locking up my machine so bad i can't even get task manager to open. This is so annoying again any time a patch is applied i say to myself "what did they break now?' Getting very frustrated will server performance whether it be lag or disconnects. I did a trace route and i get time outs hoping to blizzards servers this never happened before today's patch. I have submitted a support ticket let's see what the response is...MasterDavid2 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Positive D3 Post Yeah, yeah, yeah, I am sure you all, or at least most of you will disagree with me and ask if I have a mental problem, as some of you have done to others in the forums. However, really now, is there anything about this game that is really so horribly wrong that you cannot play it? It plays fine for me and my husband. When we had major kag issues, we rebooted our internet box and that fixed the lag... completely! The game is fun, in my opinion. The only problem I have is the loot drops, they are useless for my characters. The developers know what is wrong with the game and they are slowly trying to fix it, maybe not as fast as you all would like, but the game has only been about 2 months. If I remember correctly, the same problems occured with both Diablo 1 and 2. You all need patience with new games. Not everyone will be happy, no matter what they do to fix the game or improve it. If they were to implement everything people are asking for in one large patch, people would complain because of the downtime, then people would still not be happy because it would then be too easy. I understand that some things need to be altered, and I have faith in Blizzard to do right and fix those propblems. But really, you all need to be patient. Take a break from the game for a while and come back in a month or so and hopefully you will see positive changes. But the lack of respect going around is really uncalled for and people need to start giving constructive feedback about changes they want without all the foul language. It is really unnecessary and disrespectful. If you want a good game in the end, then stop the negative bashing and start communicating as adults. :)MissTink0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Proposal for offline mode Cross-posted from the EU forums. My apologies for the wall of text, but this is a complex issue and therefore requires a detailed solution. Many people have complained about the online-only restrictions of Diablo 3, but I've yet to see anyone put forward a serious proposal for an offline mode that retained the essence of the online game. The recent discussions about Vivendi selling their stake in Activision Blizzard have made me wonder about the future of the Diablo 3 - what would happen if Battle.net closed? Could we still play? Would it even be possible to retain the same feel in an offline mode? So I started thinking about the features specific to the online game, and tried to think how they could be transferred to an offline version. Here are my thoughts as to how it might be done: GAH: When you first start up the game, the auction house could generate tens of thousands of random items and assign them a gold value based on various criteria. These items could be viewed and purchased through the auction house normally, and as the whole process is anonymous it should retain exactly the same feel as the online version. A simple algorithm could regularly iterate through the items, using fuzzy logic to place bids and make the occasional buyout. The same algorithm used for calculating item value could also purchase some of the items the player puts up for sale, with the likelihood based on how reasonably their price is set. RMAH: The same as the GAH, but the player can purchase items with real money (so Blizzard won't lose potential earnings if people play offline). They can also put items up for sale, and any money earned will be moved to a "Battle.net wallet" which can be used to make other RMHA purchases. Care should be taken not to let money actually leave the game, because obviously other players aren't really paying for them - if the player tries, they can just be told that their item was lost due to an error. Item creation: Items can be pregenerated and cached for later use. A filter can assess the approximate value of the item, with the top 5% being reserved for the RMAH, the bottom 5% reserved for in-game drops, and the remainder going into the GAH. In order to encourage players to diversify their tactics, the chances of dropping each item type should be inversely proportional to the amount it's used - for example if the player always uses melee weapons, give them an incentive to try something new by significantly increasing the drop rate of quivers. Item nerfs: Players tend to gravitate towards the most effective strategies, therefore it should be viable to design an automated nerf system. First you need to generate a build summary of the player's equipment by weighing up the relative emphasis they've placed on each bonus type, then you weaken that bonus type. For example, if a summary of Bob the Barbarian reveals a strong focus on IAS, the nerf system might half the benefit of IAS. If the penalty still doesn't deter him, double it. Skill nerfs: The same process as item nerfs - monitor which skills the player uses, and nerf them. In games with locked skill trees/webs, a skill nerf can be very annoying, because it can permanently cripple a previously viable build. But in Diablo 3 you can freely rearrange your skills and runes, so the player will actually be thankful for the incentive to try out something new. Farming nerfs: Just as skilled players tend to use the most effective gear and skills, so they also tend to farm the most profitable locations, and once again the nerf system can address this by monitoring their playing habits. Is the player spending a lot of time breaking jars? Nerf them. Are they repeatedly killing treasure goblins? Nerf them. Do they always hunt purple elites? Nerf them. Does the player spend hours zoomed in on Karyna's boobs? Nerf them - heck, remove the Mystic artisan from the game entirely! This will encourage the player to constantly move around and look for new places to grind, experiencing the full game rather than always staying in the same spot. Patches: The nerf system requires extensive trend analysis, so it should spend at least a few days collecting data before applying any changes. As this process can potentially require significant number crunching, the player may have to wait for a few hours of "maintenance" the next time they want to play, but as we're trying to recreate the feel of the online game this is actually working as intended. The nerfs can all be applied simultaneously in one big patch, and the process can start again. Public chat: Simulating a natural language conversation is extremely complex, and has been the subject of considerable research and debate. One of the earliest implementations was ELIZA, written between 1964 and 1966, which used pattern matching techniques that were sufficient to fool several users. The concept spawned the idea of chatbots, modern versions of which combine real-time learning with evolutionary algorithms. However for the purposes of Diablo 3, it should be sufficient to spam the user with adverts for cheap gold. Public games: Although Diablo 3 is primarily a single-player game, and most people I know either play on their own or with friends (the latter of which could be handled through LAN and direct play modes), some people do like to play with strangers online. On the surface this might sound difficult to implement, but as we're only trying to simulate the existing public games, there's already the expectation of playing with someone who's either idle, or a bot. These could be handled through the same AI that controls followers and pets.For the die-hard online fans it should also be relatively easy to introduce random disconnections, rubber-banding, and even simulated compromised accounts (perhaps even with a "hardcore" mode, that deletes your character as well as stealing your gold and gear). However I'd rather keep these optional for the offline version, if possible.KaVir0 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Pointless champion/elite pack Was playing the other day on Act II, searching for Kulles blood or something and i ran into a champion pack of those demons that run at you and blow up? Has anyone else run into them? Pointless exercise really. And they don't drop loot when they blow up on their on either. Blizzard obviously didn't think that one through...Fubar6 Jul 11, 2012
Jul 11, 2012 Irrefutable Proof of Extreme Greed Just patched my client this morning and read the patch notes which state, The following commodities are now available for trading in the real-money auction house (gold commodity trading is coming soon): Gems Dyes Crafting materials Blacksmithing Plans and Jeweler Designs Pages of Training I have gone back and forth with all the ill-will about this game, but now there is no doubt that I'm done with this !@#$ game. Really blizzard, REALLY? REAL MONEY BEFORE GOLD? Never again blizzard, you lost a 10 year paying customer.Ragnar5 Jul 11, 2012