Lore and Story

Aug 24, 2011 Welcome! Please Read Welcome to the story forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss all aspects of Diablo III lore with your fellow players. Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy, so we ask that you take the time to read through the forum Code of Conduct and guidelines before posting. Code of Conduct: http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct Posting Guidelines: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3074657442#2 Important Reminders: Search The search function at the top of the community site is extremely effective and robust. Before you create a new forum topic, please be use it to search for similar topics, blog posts, or web pages that may contain the answer for which you are looking. Making a new thread on an existing subject can result in your thread being deleted or, if you continue to re-post the same content, the loss of your forum privileges for spamming. Rating The forum rating system can be used to promote positive discussion, demote unhelpful comments, and even report posts that violate the forum Code of Conduct. By hovering over a post you'll be presented with several options, including a "thumbs up" (Like) and a "thumbs down" (Dislike) icon. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon will rate the post up. If enough people like a post, it will gain a Highly Rated status and appear at the top of related search results. Highly Rated posts will also have a highlighted background. Clicking the "thumbs down" icon will expand a drop-down menu which will include "Dislike," "Trolling, "Spam" and "Report" options. "Dislike" will rate the post down. If enough people dislike a post, it will be darkened, and with a lot of dislikes it will be hidden completely. You can also quickly report a post as trolling or spam, or use the report function to fill out a more comprehensive description of a violation. Please note that you can only rate each post once. Use your power wisely to help foster a positive and helpful forum community.Daxxarri1 Aug 24, 2011
Dec 12 Diablo III Class Short Stories- Updated As we draw ever closer to the worldwide release of Diablo III on May 15, we have been unlocking more information and short stories for our heroes of Sanctuary on our Diablo III launch site. In case you missed the new short stories we've released, we have all five of them listed for you here. Monk- Unyielding by Matt Burns ... Barbarian- Wayfarer by Cameron Dayton ... Demon Hunter- Hatred and Discipline by Micky Nielson ... Witch Doctor- Doubtwalker by Matt Burns ... Wizard- Firefly by Michael Chu ...Nethaera78 Dec 12
10h Could Diablo possess a nephalem next? I was pondering where they might take the story whenever D4 comes out, and given how Reaper Of Souls ended I figured that maybe the villain in the next game could be a nephalem gone bad. Maybe even one of the PCs. They can kill Prime Evils and Archangels, so Tyrael's not worried without reason. But then I remembered the name of the franchise, and that the Lord Of Terror is loose again. (Thanks for that by the way, Malthael. We're all really grateful for it. >_> ) He's going to show up in a fourth installment, natch. As usual, he's probably going to need to hijack somebody else's body, given how his last one was destroyed and he was stuck in the Black Soulstone. So we have the possibility of a nephalem using their powers for evil, and we also have a near 100% certainty that Diablo will find somebody else to possess...what if these two occurrences are related? What if the nephalem turns evil because Diablo possesses them? Are nephalem immune to that, or could this happen? Because if that's what happens, then we're talking about an incarnation of Diablo with not only the power of all seven Evils, but also the power of a nephalem. And THAT would be one hell of a tough adversary, wouldn't it?Aguy7 10h
2d I heard that story in this game is weak ... To be honest i've never played Diablo game before and only one ARPG i did played was the first Witcher. Last week i jumped into MOBA games and played Heroes of the Storm a little. I really liked it but almost instantly felt that i need something similar but story driven. I've spent couple of days searching for a best candidate and i choosed this game although i read the story is weak. I've just finished ACT I with my 35lvl Wizard and i don't know what are people talking about but the story makes perfect sense and after reading about the Diablo lore, watching some cutscenes from previous games and reading everything i found in ACT I ... i think the story so far is great and the game as a whole is a big surprise for me! I don't know if this is gonna be worse later in the game (and i don't want spoilers please) but so far i'm having really good time with it. I just wanted to say it.Zloba12 2d
5d Don't Even Bother With a Story for D4 Stories in video games, unless well done, DETRACT from the gaming experience. None of the other popular games like Overwatch or Fortnite have much of a story at all. The gameplay is better because of that choice. They should consider doing the same for D4. Set the right tone and mood, and otherwise let people play and imagine their own story, instead of forcing some cheesy plotline or dialogue down people's throats. It would work so much better then what they did for D3 and also save the developers a lot of time and money. Win-win.MarigoldRan23 5d
6d World of Diablo For the sake of the argument, assume that the long-term project is World of Diablo, i.e. Diablo meets WoW a/k/a a Diablo MMO-RPG. So, what's the story? Are there any unknown areas that can be expansions (I would assume that the game would launch with the known world)? Anything else?Robert16 6d
Nov 13 Legacy of Blood Cover has #1? Is it only this cover on the books that has a # on it?GoosePants2 Nov 13
Nov 12 Stop bring back bosses from previous games I find it incredibly annoying how D3 is basically a remake of D2, with a few new things. Whatever happened to innovation and creativity?Secretempest5 Nov 12
Nov 11 How Can Diablo Teleport to the High Heavens? Before I say anything else, I would like to mention that I have played neither D1 nor 2. I don't know if my question raises an obvious answer. I just began Act IV and right before you go to the High Heavens, the portal that takes you there was summoned by Diablo himself. Isn't it too convenient that the prime evil has the power to summon a portal that takes him straight to his enemy's doorstep? Shouldn't it be a little harder than that? And how come a mere mortal such as my puny level 46 DH is allowed through the Diamond Gates? Did I miss a piece of lore here? I love this game, don't get me wrong. I hardly have anything to complain about and this isn't a complaint. I guess I'm just questioning the realism of an unrealistic game, lol.misterRosen2 Nov 11
Nov 9 Tyrael--Not the Archangel of Wisdom For Us FACT: Tyrael has broken the ancient law of the high heavens...brazenly. FACT: Tyrael didn't recognize the daughter of Diablo despite her glowing red. FACT: Tyrael taught the Horadrim how to create soulstones, which were used by the Lords of Hell to unite in Diablo. FACT: Tyrael destroyed the Worldstone without having a clue what the consequences would be. FACT: Tyrael let Adria summon the 7 Lords of Hell in to Sanctuary because some mortal 70-year-old witch overpowered him. FACT: The only reason Tyrael hasn't plunged the universe into perpetual darkness is because some unnamed Nephalem punched Diablo to death on the Crystal Arch. FACT: Tyrael somehow also managed to screw up hiding the Black Soulstone after all of this. FACT: The only reason Baal was free in the first place is because Tyrael couldn't stop an elderly man that weighed about 80 lbs from pulling the soulstone out of Tal'Rasha. FACT: For no apparent reason, Tyrael appointed himself Archangel of Wisdom despite divine providence creating him as the Archangel of Justice. Tyrael also renounced his angelic citizenship and is too extreme for normal Sanctuarians. It's time to send Tyrael a message that Enough is Enough. This election, vote for a candidate that knew exactly what was going to happen and told us so in Act 2. My name is Zoltun Kulle, and I approve this message. Paid for by Friends of Zoltun Kulle for Angiris CouncilAstinus3 Nov 9
Nov 8 D:I Lore will be AWESOME [#nope] Sean Copeland said: ... So... What we know for now about Diablo Mobile Lore: - Resurrection of the Blood Countess (Because ressurecting fallen characters is cool) - Curator - Zoltun Kulle Copy - He doesn't know he is a Zoltun Kulle Copy - Zoltun Kulle Archives. No, these are other Archives! Because Kulle created lot of Archives. So we hear you like archives, and we put more archives in archives. - Pieces of the World Stone spilled over various parts of the Sanctuary (seriously?), - Three brothers are dead, soulstones destroyed - but Blizzard said: ... - "Great" idea" - The story will take place in the 20-year range between 2 and 3, but "it will strongly refer to the genesis of Diablo, to the creation of humanity, blabla ..." (what?) - In the game will be Valla, we know her from Heroes of the Storm (promotion must be!) Her history is typical for demon Hunters: "demons destroyed the village, now I'm trying vengeance - I'm so vindictive". You can read story same as Valla in "Heroes Rise, Darkness Falls" and you can watch similar in DH trailer to D3: https://youtu.be/T0ujTQBIObo Thats all about "awesome" loreanubin9 Nov 8
Nov 6 Question about the new rereleased books Are the books the black road, legacy of blood, or kingdom of shadow related to any other diablo books that have been released? They’ve rereleased these, so I’m wondering if I can pick them up and not worry about missing story. I may of asked this before but couldn’t find my topic.GoosePants4 Nov 6
Nov 5 Inspiration from real stuff DH lore reminds me a lot of European inquisition/Spanish inquisitors. I mean minus the part where they are taking revenge from their homes invaded by demons, they seem so aesthetically similar in morals to the historical inquisition. Torment and torture of their enemies to confess their "sins" seems to be part of their philosophy too, they do it on demons all the time. Which leads me to question. Do DH also take part in witch-hunts aside from killing demons? Does their philosophy include only vengeful acts on demons or other enemies too.TyroneBigums0 Nov 5
Nov 5 Is Leah an anti-vaxxer? It never sat well with me that Leah thought demons were "just stories". The events of D1 & D2 were unquestionably put into history books. There should be evidence of the destruction and horror left behind all over Sanctuary. D:I is supposesly set in the 20 year span between D2 & D3. 20 years??!?! Somehow Leah never encountered any evidence or people who lived through the events? Now we're told there was even more demon stuff going on and bits of corrupt worldstone all over Sanctuary. Which leaves even less time for the calm and peace of D3 before the star fell to come about. Even less time for the entire population to forget about the demons or collectively decide to treat them as just stories. How is it that Leah doesn't believe Cain about the demons? Did she grow up under a rock? The only explanation I see is that Leah, despite overwhelming evidence from everyone around her and the world she lives in, refuses to change her mind. Is Leah the Sanctuary equivalent of an anti-vaxxer? Her story wasn't that well developed to begin with before being killed (in my opinion). This just makes her even less credible as a real individual and not merely a poorly implemented plot device.Seeker2 Nov 5
Nov 4 Book of adria Now that blizzcon for the most part is over, when can we expect the lore book to be released? Can we see it sooner than next year? Currently on Amazon it states the the estimate lease date is between Nov 26 til January 1st.. Now that is pretty absurd! Any news about this would be. Much appreciated!AncientYs0 Nov 4
Nov 4 Leah a true Demon (Super Spoilers) Looking back... theories Was Female Prime Evil Diablo, Leahs True Demon form? (different from possessed forms of Aidan and Albrecht) Theory, what in fact happened was that Leah was not possessed like Aidan/Albrecht but transformed into her true form and then absorbed the prime evils powers. Leah is Diablo's daughter, was mentioned by Adria. And might have never been the daughter of Aidan. And Adria herself was a demon? Maybe she already became a demon right before or while she carried Leah. Or maybe she was always a demon but in disguise. Making Leah probably a demon, only taking a Human form? Could we see Leah coming back as a demon boss in the future? Or a powerful demon ally? Some would say, Leahs soul in hell would be rescued in future franchise. What if she didnt need rescuing & her essence/soul rightfully sits within the realm of terror beside her fathers. And that now she can come and go freely as she wished from hell. Was the Prime evil defeated partly due to Leah holding back against her friend the Nephalim?Sabrac10 Nov 4
Nov 4 Prequel or Sequel? Assuming D4 is announced soon, will the story be a Prequel, i.e. the story line is before D1 or a sequel, after D3? I'm kinda hoping for a prequel, something leading up to the start of the D1 story. Maybe some overlap. Not exactly sure why, but I see more room for creativity in a prequel story line. I feel any story after D3 will be pretty constrained. What do you think/want?Caracal3 Nov 4
Nov 4 Where to go if Diablo 4 were to be made? I have no idea if Blizzard will ever consider making Diablo 4. But if they did, here's the Lore foundation that I think would profit them to adopt ... so Stay Awhile And Listen. First off, what is the "genre" of the Diablo game series, starting with Diablo 1? Yes, it's a dungeon crawling hack 'n' slash with a horror thematic to it as the background. But I'm talking about how the game is structured in terms of basic assumptions about the Player Character and the world they're (inevitably) fighting in. At its core, the Diablo series is about the PC being the UNDERDOG, up against forces more powerful than it is possible to comprehend. In Diablo 1 ... the PC was a mere mortal who was descending into a "hell under Sanctuary" until finally confronting Diablo himself ... the Lord of Terror. There wasn't anything particularly special about the PC, other than the fact that they persevered against "incredible odds" to finally win through and "beat the game" in the end (although that victory sure felt like a pyrrhic one given what happened afterwards!). But the key thing was that the PC was no "annoited hero" whose coming was foretold in the ancient texts (that Deckard Cain rambled on about at length). The PC had no "destiny" to fulfill. It was Mortal against the Lord of Terror, and the default assumption was that the Mortal really ought to lose. The point I'm making here is that the PC was "no one special" and the Big Bad™ was The Lord Of Terror. In Diablo 2, the PC once again was just a "mere mortal" ... albeit one who was "trained" or skilled in ways that the characters of Diablo 1 were not. So we got mortals who were a bit more powerful/skillful to play in Diablo 2, but they weren't pre-destined to succeed at everything they did. We were still basically playing "adventurers" who survived in the world of mere mortals. At best we could say that the PCs of Diablo 1 were basically "amateurs" while the PCs of Diablo 2 were essentially "professionals" as far as being mortals go, but they were still mortals. And to top things off, if Diablo 2 we not only had to go up against the Three Brothers but also Andariel and Duriel into the bargain! We even fought through the barren wastes of Pandemonium, the hellfires of the River of Flame, and all the way into the Chaos Sanctuary itself in order to defeat Diablo (again)! And then there was that whole weird thing about dragging the scene back to Sanctuary in order to off Baal at Mount Arreat and have Tyrael smash the Worldstone. Don't look at me, I wasn't consulted about the writing for Lord of Destruction. So in Diablo 2 ... our PCs were more "heroic" but they were still (mere) mortals, while the Big Bad™ wound up being not just Diablo but The Three Brothers. Then we get to Diablo 3 and ... wait, what? In Diablo 3, the PC is cast as being this bizarro superbeing, the Nephalem, who is the culmination of thousands of years of ... um ... something, something, homina homina ... pay no attention to the Angel of Death behind the curtain. You start the game assuming that just like before your PC wasn't all that special. Skilled maybe, but not the living embodiment of prophecy. Anyway, long rambling rant shortened ... your PC is quite explicitly NOT a "mere mortal" in Diablo 3, but rather something (and someone) NEW to the eternal battle between Angels and Demons. Even more importantly, "the Nephalem" manages to not only defeat THE PRIME EVIL but also the Angel of Death (who used to be the Angel of Wisdom, but gave that up for a new hobby). Basically, Diablo 3 sets up the PC as being THE MOST POWERFUL BEING IN THE COSMOLOGY, since they're essentially a reincarnation/reconstruction of the power of Anu. So then, where does that leave things with respect to maybe making Diablo 4? In order for the game to "work" conceptually, while remaining true to the Diablo mythos and game genre, the following baseline assumptions need to be present. The PC needs to be the underdog in this fight. The PC needs to be going up against the Biggest of the Big Bad(s) available. There needs to be an open question as to whether or not the PC is up to (let alone will survive) the challenge that the game is presenting. Well after defeating Angels and Prime Evils in Diablo 3, there really is no question as to who the Biggest Bad™ is going into Diablo 4 ... and it's not Diablo. Not by a long shot. No, the Biggest Bad™ in the game lore of the Diablo mythos is the Nephalem(!).DoubleTroubl66 Nov 4
Oct 27 book of adria Can diablo book of adria be on language PL?talerz040 Oct 27
Oct 17 Age discrepancy? So, if I understand it correctly, it was the destruction of the Worldstone at the end of Diablo II LoD that allowed for Nephalem to be born again. According to the lore, there is roughly 20 years between the events of D2 and D3. As a result, one has to assume that the character that we play in D3 can't be older than 20 years. Possibly just 19 if we assume that the Worldstone would have to be destroyed before the time of conception rather than birth. Now, looking at the portraits, it looks like the DH or Wizard could possibly be that young. The Necromancer looks decidedly older but let's leave that one out - perhaps meddling with death makes you look old. But what's up with the Barbarian, Crusader, Monk and WD? For all of those, the male portraits definitely look older than a guy in his early twenties. Come to think of it, somehow this doesn't seem to necessarily apply to the female portraits but let's not go there...Pja17 Oct 17
Sep 28 Tyrael doesn't understand how to eat, so... ...does this mean that he also doesn't understand how to do the things which everybody who eats eventually have to do? "Did the Archangel of Justice need somebody to toilet-train him?" is what I'm asking here.Aguy2 Sep 28
Sep 10 Love to rescue Inarius in a fourth game He doesn't deserve to suffer like he has, and like he still is. So if they make another game, I hope that we can either free him or at least put him out of his misery.Aguy1 Sep 10
Sep 7 Question about the Black Soulstone I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Black Soulstone first appeared in Diablo 3. So... How did the 3 prime evils and 2 of the lesser ones got trapped in the Black Soulstone before Zoltun Kulle finished it? Did they just transported themselves there? I've been replaying Diablo 3 this past week and this answer just eludes me.Pachanga5 Sep 7
Sep 3 New Mage Class Ideas based on Lore. Hello, I ve been doing some research about Mage Clans of Sanctuary, Here is some of them: Ammuit; they focus on manipulating reality and illusion, they could be a Mesmer class. Ennead; they focus on manipulating physical world through enchanting and transmutting matter, well they can be an Enchanter kind of Class, but thing is they look a bit OP, based on this lore. Also unplayable. Maybe someone can give ideas about it. Taan;they living in jungle, little known about them. Only member we saw is Ormus, in Kurast. He was doing some healing and some items. So they could be an Alchemist class. Makes some potions, using their weapons,doing some explosive spells maybe. Also they could use some alchemy stuff, gives them buff. They can burn, poison, even freeze their enemies. So their spells can be very effective but, with long cool time. Also their mana jar, could be some alchemy bottles, so they could do some magic based on that? Vizjerei; well this clan is very known clan every book and game includes them. But they mostly sided with evil. They have demonic rituals and demon summoning powers, but that gave me an idea, why don't we play as evil in new games? A storyline, sided with demons fight against Tyrael and other angels, in new game there could be a conflict about it. A war between, human sided with angels versus human sided with devils. (Flesh eater Barbarians etc.) Zann Esu; well in Diablo 2 we played as Sorceress, who can cast spells, lighting, ice and fire. Well, they are cool and totally playable class, but they only have female members. If you make a game that you can choose your gender, they can be only female class. Also, I have one class idea, they are a bit exception, because there no Lore that I've seen. A class about people who have possesed demon hand. They use spells through their hand, also fight as a Rogue Mage class. They can cast some demonic powers,(not summoning) sided with angels. They can use their hand as claws with physical damage. They, can be good people but outsiders. Also their class may have a demonic illusion powers. So which eliminates Ammuit. Or they can be new version of Ammuit.Amazonhan0 Sep 3
Aug 30 Horadrim In the Dark Exile Scrolls, it mentioned 10 Horadrim but excluded Natala and no disclosure of Nor Toraj. When the cube was to be hidden away, 7 of the 9 concurred. One wouldn't, Zoltun Kulle, but who's the other? What did Natala do to save them?TobiPhoenix0 Aug 30
Aug 21 Abd al-Hazir and Timeline I was trying to check some info about Sanctuary and i found out all Abd al-Hazir's texts and timeline is no more... is there any reason for this? or you erased it because that's no canon?Arkan2 Aug 21
Aug 19 Kanai's Cube and the Horadrim lore Those short texts under every recipe raise several questions. ... What dark method did they use to craft the cube ? Did they use human sacrifice or summon demons and use them as material ? ... Who was the Horadrim who didn't avert his/her eyes ? Was that Tal Rasha, as he was the leader and brave enough to sacrifice himself to imprison Baal ? Was that Kulle ? Was he intrigued by cube's power, just like how he felt about the soulstones ? ... Did someone of the Horadrim die in the process of making the cube ? ... Who was the one who called the other 9 together ? Only 2 out of 10 Horadrim involved in the creation of the cube objected. I think one of them was Kulle. Maybe he was power hungry and refused to let go of the cube's infinite capabilites. But what about the other Horadrim ? As described in the texts, the cube has physical form and was forged first, then enchanted. Why didn't they destroy the cube and burn the design blue print instead ? ... What did Natala do to save her colleagues ( probably about the cube, but what exactly ) ? Lorewise, after we found the cube and use it under Kulle's instructions, the Nephalem's progression become tied to the cube. Every of our actions is to provide materials for the cube's transmutation power. Is this the "corruption" mentioned in the Dark Exile Scrolls ? Is it starting to take effect on us ( the player character ) ? This could hopefully be explored more in D4.Kazi1 Aug 19
Aug 17 How to win me over in a new Diablo project. Diablo 1 is what got me into online gaming back when I was 13 years old in the late 90's. That being said, Declard Cain was such an iconic character for me, and for many others I'm sure. Fast forward, Deckard Cain was killed off in Diablo 3. This really set a negative tone for the game, for me personally. I would love it If there could be a way in the story where some item or artifact, or something is discovered and the only one who could of helped us in a pivotal turn in the story would of been to have Cain's knowledge on the artifact to help drive a part of the story arc. Since Deckard Cain is physically dead, maybe we can travel to where his soul is and save him. Maybe Hell has set aside a special area to torture him due to his past deeds in helping us, maybe these methods of torture can reflect past memories of the series? i.e. Deckard Cain never escaped Tristram and is still trapped in the cage while goblins, skeletons, shamans, even Griswold is in this tortured memory. After saving him and we succeed in our mission(s) can we can send him up to the Archangels where he'll have a place with them and continue to live in the story some how. He is a playable character in Heroes of The Storm, so I'd like to think that there is more life left in him. You can even add a new skin to Deckard Cain in HoTS based on how he could look in the new game once he has been saved, maybe even saving him unlocks a skin in HoTS to encourage players to look into HoTS. Please, I just want to see Deckard Cain back in the game.Paynstar3 Aug 17
Aug 17 Witch Doctors and Diablo 2 Is there lore regarding the relation between the Witch Doctor and the flayers/fetishes/witch doctors from the jungles of Diablo 2's Kurast? The only reference I've seen is that they were demons.deLicio4 Aug 17
Aug 16 Ancients What happened to the Ancients (Talic, Madawc and Korlic) after the destruction of Mt. Arreat?mephisto19253 Aug 16
Aug 15 What happened to Gillian? WARNING: If you have not beaten Diablo 3's normal mode, there are spoilers within this thread. Gillian was said to have left for Caldeum with Adria before Tristram was overrun. She supposedly helped Adria raise Leah while Adria "disappeared". I assume Adria disappeared to capture the essences of the Prime Evils in the Black Soulstone, as they were being killed by the Hero in Diablo 2. Somehow custody of Leah was given to Decard, if someone could fill me in on that, that'd be great. At the end of Act 3 in Diablo 3, Adria betrays them and goes through a portal, not one to heaven. Adria could've possibily went to a hideout of some sort that could lead us to Gillian, but it's very doubtful. Some people actually say that Gillian is dead, but there's plenty of evidence that proves she's alive and dead... Dead: Body in Diablo 2's Tristram found near the corner of her house. Ogden - Gillian Gossip: "Gillian, my Barmaid? If it were not for her sense of duty to her grand-dam, she would have fled from here long ago. Goodness knows I begged her to leave, telling her that I would watch after the old woman, but she is too sweet and caring to have done so." Alive: Rumors say that she'd have an important role within the game. Diablo 3 Lore - Gillian's Diary Part 2: "To think I was once afraid of Adria. She is going to take me to Caldeum with her soon. Caldeum! I never thought to see it with my own eyes... Though it saddens me to leave Ogden and his wife, Adria assures me that she will find a cure for my nightmares." The body found at Tristram could've been her grandmother's. Her grandmother, named Despira in a D3 Lore, was said to be able to see in the future, she could've told Gillian to leave if she knew what was going to happen. My theory is that if Gillian is infact alive, I think she will play a role in the Diablo 3's expansion. Little or big part, I really hope she does because I'm at a lost as to what had happened to her. Also, Adria and the Black Soulstone (Last seen falling from the Heavens after Diablo dissolved) are definitely going to be in it, and if not, there will probably be a Diablo 4. So my question to you guys, What do you think happened to Gillian? Note: If you have any claims about what happened to Gillian please provide evidence and proof.Patriarch6 Aug 15
Aug 15 Diablo 3 writing (mild spoilers) It's taken me 6 years to get over diablo 3 not being enough like diablo 2. There is a number of personal reasons that I accept responsibility for in this regard, but this one I am a bit confused about. It's not necessarily the plot that is bad, but I feel like the writing is abysmal. So, I wanted to make a post here and start something of a discussion based on "Is the writing bad, or am I just jaded?" (quotes from the game will be paraphrased) The first argument I would put forward are the bosses constantly sending messages to the player... Really stupid and pointless ones. In act 4, you go in to destroy these portals the demons are using. You kill all the dudes, and Diablo says "you will never destroy the portal!" You left click the portal once, and it explodes. Apparently these demons having nothing better to do than watch the player's actions and make commentary. This is happening throughout almost literally the entire questline, every time you do something, someone shows up and says "you wont be able to the next thing!" and I feel as a whole this adds a lot of doubt about the competency of the villains. A more subjective issue I had was the emphasis on the nephalem, as all people on Sanctuary are technically nephalem by definition. It's fine to say our heroes might have inherited more power than the average person, but I kind of feel like we're attributing most of their success as due to what they are born with and less what they make of it. From time to time the dialogue just seems to kind of insult the players intelligence. All of the plot twists could have used more subtlety. Playing Reaper of Souls, Adria in the battle says "You never even suspected a thing!" When a character is introduced as Adria the Witch, pretty sure everyone suspected something. In closing, I've been dealing with depression for several years, and had been when the game came out, so it is entirely possible that my negative mindset has exaggerated the flaws and trivialized the strengths, so, do you have any particular parts of the game where you think the dialogue was put together well or the writing just seemed to be noteworthy? Am I just grumpy, or could blizzard have done a better job here? I've tried to be as diplomatic as I could be here, I apologize for not doing a very good job with it. As exemplified below. (butterfly demon? c'mon)MoobyNooby7 Aug 15
Aug 15 Why isn't the Eternal conflict over already? So, we see in D3 that with enough power Hell can finish the war by invading heaven and corrupting/destroying the Crystal arch. That's their endgame. But what about Heaven? Can they win the war? Can they somehow purify/destroy/lock Hell and the Abyss? If not, why exactly do they bother with attacking hell? It's not like they achieve anything by doing so, so why not just defend? And if they do have an endgame... THEN WHAT ARE THEY DOING??? The Nephilim are backing them up right now, so why not end the eternal conflict? It's not like anything can stop them, the Prime Evils are dead, the demon hordes are decimated and the most powerful creatures around are either in heaven or backing up heaven.Krabator00712 Aug 15
Aug 9 Sin Lords (Azmodan's Lieutenants) (Spoilers) I've heard that Eirena talks about them once you pass one of the large flay demons in A3 but I can't seem to get her to talk about it. What does she say about them? Gluttony and Lust are covered but, I can't seem to find anything about the other 5.Graverobber10 Aug 9
Aug 8 Just got book of Cain and Tyrael, what else? Love Diablo 3 but never really read into the lore (will soon read both the book of Tyrael and Cain). What else do you recommend? How is storm of light?GoosePants5 Aug 8
Aug 4 Human Firms How would Malthael and Auriel look like in human form? Would they look similar to Tyrael? If one had to make a wild guess?TyroneBigums3 Aug 4
Jul 27 Diablo 3 Usage Rights I saw an Overwatch GMV on youtube using story clips and cutscenes and I'm wondering if I could make my own version of that with the story clips and cutscenes in Diablo?Doodle1 Jul 27
Jul 24 Diablo Bestiary: Book Of Adria Diablo Bestiary: Book Of Adria https://www.amazon.com/Diablo-Bestiary-Blizzard-Entertainment/dp/1945683201Avalon2 Jul 24
Jul 16 petition for d2 remaster i am sure there is alot of us wanting it, but how many?SPEEDY11 Jul 16
Jul 15 (spoilers) Why does the PC ask Myriam this? I've played through the vanilla game, with Myriam and Leah both with me the entire way (except the fourth act, of course). Myriam knew Leah. She commented on Leah several times during the story. Now, in Reaper Of Souls, I've discovered Myriam trapped under some rubble in Westmarch, and as she tags along with me for a bit, one of the things she says is something to the effect of "I can tell that you still feel guilty over Leah's fate." My monk's response is "How do you know that name?" Uh, maybe because she was THERE? I don't understand this.Aguy2 Jul 15
Jul 13 Paladins Are Paladins ever coming back? When I first started playing Diablo Paladins were my favorite character. They are still mentioned in the lore. Sropping them from the game in Diablo 3 was almost a deal breaker for me. I have stayed and played all kinds of characters but still deeply miss my Pally.Shonomercey18 Jul 13
Jul 9 Paladins vs Crusaders from Nevalistis Nevalistis: The Templar order remains an enigma to many on the outside, and there are rumors abound regarding their exact founding and purpose. Though the Templars profess a dedication to the Light and seek to rid Sanctuary of demonic corruption, they are not officially sanctioned by the Zakarum church, while the Paladin and Crusader orders were founded within it. Rather, they have risen from the ashes of the Paladin order after it fell to corruption, and they view themselves as the new, pure continuation of that faith. As for Paladins and Crusaders: A long time ago, the Paladins headed west under the command of Rakkis seeking conquest, a historic march which ultimately ended in the founding of Westmarch. Meanwhile, the Crusaders – an elite group of fighters who rallied under a different Zakarum leader – headed east on a secret mission to search for a way to cleanse their faith of the perceived taint left behind by Mephisto. Unlike the Paladins, the Crusaders have never been corrupted, and in their journeys abroad have honed new skills and talents that set them apart on the battlefield. To put it a different way, think of the Crusaders as the “veterans of the veterans.” They take zealotry to an entirely new level, finding comfort and strength in their unshakable confidence in their cause. Their only goal is to find a way to save their faith; any other objectives will fall to the wayside should it ever threaten to impede their quest. Whereas the Paladin might meddle in a town’s affairs — settling disputes, converting new followers, burning some witches — and then move on, the Crusader, despite brandishing a similar level of intimidation, would quietly enter the town, ask a few questions, restock their supplies, and then depart, leaving little more than confusion in their wake. (To give you perhaps a more relatable image, if you were put a Crusader in space, he’d probably be a lot of like Hicks in Aliens. Very experienced, a little easy going on the surface, but doesn’t fool around when stuff hits the fan.) More specific details on the Crusader will, naturally, be covered in Reaper of Souls (as well as in Acts I-V). However, if you really dig that sort of lore, definitely keep an eye out for the DiabloWikiBook of Tyreal. You can expect to find some good juicy historical tidbits on several of the orders, the Crusader’s included.Avalon0 Jul 9
Jul 9 What happened to the Paladin Where is the Paladin in D3? Which character/hero replaced the PaladinGerhard1 Jul 9
Jun 18 Obelisk of Vyr Vyr built the black obelisk to harness energy from archons. Archons are powerful Protoss units in Starcraft. Vyr was just trying to construct additional pylons. Change my mind.mattplaz0 Jun 18
Jun 16 Diablo 3 Necro not the same as Diabpo 2? I read in a lore somewhere that the d2 and d3 necro are different. What's the difference exactly? we're the d2 characters not nephelems?aryanSPARTAN5 Jun 16
Jun 10 Tal rasha wanted to be released It just occurred to me, as I recall the cut-scene in diablo 2 played just before entering act III. That one scene depicting the wanderer entering the tomb with Marius, who was instrumental to removing the soulstone from the body of Tal Rasha Marius was drawn by the phantasm and voice of Tal rasha, urging him to bring about his release. There is nothing to suggest that that wasn't actually Tal Rasha, pleading to be released from the prison. The face, emanating from the demonic visage is embalmed and human. It is assumed to be a simple deceptive trick but why would Marius fall for that? When Tyrael calls him a 'Fool', its more along the lines of he meddled with things beyond his scope to grasp. And drastic measures must be taken, that is leaving Tal Rasha in that state of polarised containment, even though he's sufferingPrincePookie3 Jun 10
Jun 9 Who canonically defeated the Prime Evil? Basically, who actually defeated the Prime Evil in Diablo 3? In Diablo 1, it was a Warrior, a Rogue, and a Sorcerer, who end up being Aidan, Blood Raven, and the Summoner, respectively. In Diablo 2, Deckard Cain mentions in his book that it was the combination of the seven heroes that managed to defeat Baal in LoD. However, the Book of Tyrael and Storm of Light only briefly mention whoever it was that defeated Diablo, and it almost seems to point that it was only one hero. So, which one of the heroes actually defeated him, or was it a combination of the heroes again?Thunderclaww36 Jun 9
Jun 8 Greyhollow island haven't played in a while started again yesterday and noticed greyhollow island in adventure, anyone knows whats the point of this part? is there some sort of questline i can do here? only quest i saw was when i entered talked to the half dead person on the floor and then nothing. tried to find out what to do on the forums but all i see is ppl who talk about the journals wich they can or can not find. much obliged for the helpPluizebol2 Jun 8
May 28 So... What's Next? With the ending of Reaper of Souls, we were left with at least two cliffhangers - the fact that Tyrael straight up said we'd end up choosing to be good or evil, and the whole debacle with Lyndon's brother and said brother's wife. Are we going to get a continuation of the story soon, or...?degrootpeeps4 May 28
May 18 Please Consider Blizzard!!!! What about events that could feature old (d1 & d2) bosses? Familiar faces are always nice and refreshing! Seeing the butcher for the anniversary event was really cool. D3 needs more content and lore! I loved D2s bosses; Andariel, The Summoner, Duriel, Tal Rasha, Mephisto, (obviously Diablo), and Baal.Plant4 May 18