Lore and Story

Aug 24, 2011 Welcome! Please Read Welcome to the story forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss all aspects of Diablo III lore with your fellow players. Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy, so we ask that you take the time to read through the forum Code of Conduct and guidelines before posting. Code of Conduct: http://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct Posting Guidelines: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3074657442#2 Important Reminders: Search The search function at the top of the community site is extremely effective and robust. Before you create a new forum topic, please be use it to search for similar topics, blog posts, or web pages that may contain the answer for which you are looking. Making a new thread on an existing subject can result in your thread being deleted or, if you continue to re-post the same content, the loss of your forum privileges for spamming. Rating The forum rating system can be used to promote positive discussion, demote unhelpful comments, and even report posts that violate the forum Code of Conduct. By hovering over a post you'll be presented with several options, including a "thumbs up" (Like) and a "thumbs down" (Dislike) icon. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon will rate the post up. If enough people like a post, it will gain a Highly Rated status and appear at the top of related search results. Highly Rated posts will also have a highlighted background. Clicking the "thumbs down" icon will expand a drop-down menu which will include "Dislike," "Trolling, "Spam" and "Report" options. "Dislike" will rate the post down. If enough people dislike a post, it will be darkened, and with a lot of dislikes it will be hidden completely. You can also quickly report a post as trolling or spam, or use the report function to fill out a more comprehensive description of a violation. Please note that you can only rate each post once. Use your power wisely to help foster a positive and helpful forum community.Daxxarri1 Aug 24, 2011
Dec 12 Diablo III Class Short Stories- Updated As we draw ever closer to the worldwide release of Diablo III on May 15, we have been unlocking more information and short stories for our heroes of Sanctuary on our Diablo III launch site. In case you missed the new short stories we've released, we have all five of them listed for you here. Monk- Unyielding by Matt Burns ... Barbarian- Wayfarer by Cameron Dayton ... Demon Hunter- Hatred and Discipline by Micky Nielson ... Witch Doctor- Doubtwalker by Matt Burns ... Wizard- Firefly by Michael Chu ...Nethaera78 Dec 12
3h Diablo 3 Usage Rights I saw an Overwatch GMV on youtube and I'm wondering if I could make my own version of that in Diablo?Doodle0 3h
6h Why isn't the Eternal conflict over already? So, we see in D3 that with enough power Hell can finish the war by invading heaven and corrupting/destroying the Crystal arch. That's their endgame. But what about Heaven? Can they win the war? Can they somehow purify/destroy/lock Hell and the Abyss? If not, why exactly do they bother with attacking hell? It's not like they achieve anything by doing so, so why not just defend? And if they do have an endgame... THEN WHAT ARE THEY DOING??? The Nephilim are backing them up right now, so why not end the eternal conflict? It's not like anything can stop them, the Prime Evils are dead, the demon hordes are decimated and the most powerful creatures around are either in heaven or backing up heaven.Krabator0079 6h
1d petition for d2 remaster i am sure there is alot of us wanting it, but how many?SPEEDY11 1d
2d (spoilers) Why does the PC ask Myriam this? I've played through the vanilla game, with Myriam and Leah both with me the entire way (except the fourth act, of course). Myriam knew Leah. She commented on Leah several times during the story. Now, in Reaper Of Souls, I've discovered Myriam trapped under some rubble in Westmarch, and as she tags along with me for a bit, one of the things she says is something to the effect of "I can tell that you still feel guilty over Leah's fate." My monk's response is "How do you know that name?" Uh, maybe because she was THERE? I don't understand this.Aguy1 2d
5d Paladins Are Paladins ever coming back? When I first started playing Diablo Paladins were my favorite character. They are still mentioned in the lore. Sropping them from the game in Diablo 3 was almost a deal breaker for me. I have stayed and played all kinds of characters but still deeply miss my Pally.Shonomercey18 5d
Jul 9 Paladins vs Crusaders from Nevalistis Nevalistis: The Templar order remains an enigma to many on the outside, and there are rumors abound regarding their exact founding and purpose. Though the Templars profess a dedication to the Light and seek to rid Sanctuary of demonic corruption, they are not officially sanctioned by the Zakarum church, while the Paladin and Crusader orders were founded within it. Rather, they have risen from the ashes of the Paladin order after it fell to corruption, and they view themselves as the new, pure continuation of that faith. As for Paladins and Crusaders: A long time ago, the Paladins headed west under the command of Rakkis seeking conquest, a historic march which ultimately ended in the founding of Westmarch. Meanwhile, the Crusaders – an elite group of fighters who rallied under a different Zakarum leader – headed east on a secret mission to search for a way to cleanse their faith of the perceived taint left behind by Mephisto. Unlike the Paladins, the Crusaders have never been corrupted, and in their journeys abroad have honed new skills and talents that set them apart on the battlefield. To put it a different way, think of the Crusaders as the “veterans of the veterans.” They take zealotry to an entirely new level, finding comfort and strength in their unshakable confidence in their cause. Their only goal is to find a way to save their faith; any other objectives will fall to the wayside should it ever threaten to impede their quest. Whereas the Paladin might meddle in a town’s affairs — settling disputes, converting new followers, burning some witches — and then move on, the Crusader, despite brandishing a similar level of intimidation, would quietly enter the town, ask a few questions, restock their supplies, and then depart, leaving little more than confusion in their wake. (To give you perhaps a more relatable image, if you were put a Crusader in space, he’d probably be a lot of like Hicks in Aliens. Very experienced, a little easy going on the surface, but doesn’t fool around when stuff hits the fan.) More specific details on the Crusader will, naturally, be covered in Reaper of Souls (as well as in Acts I-V). However, if you really dig that sort of lore, definitely keep an eye out for the DiabloWikiBook of Tyreal. You can expect to find some good juicy historical tidbits on several of the orders, the Crusader’s included.Avalon0 Jul 9
Jul 9 What happened to the Paladin Where is the Paladin in D3? Which character/hero replaced the PaladinGerhard1 Jul 9
Jul 7 Diablo 3 writing (mild spoilers) It's taken me 6 years to get over diablo 3 not being enough like diablo 2. There is a number of personal reasons that I accept responsibility for in this regard, but this one I am a bit confused about. It's not necessarily the plot that is bad, but I feel like the writing is abysmal. So, I wanted to make a post here and start something of a discussion based on "Is the writing bad, or am I just jaded?" (quotes from the game will be paraphrased) The first argument I would put forward are the bosses constantly sending messages to the player... Really stupid and pointless ones. In act 4, you go in to destroy these portals the demons are using. You kill all the dudes, and Diablo says "you will never destroy the portal!" You left click the portal once, and it explodes. Apparently these demons having nothing better to do than watch the player's actions and make commentary. This is happening throughout almost literally the entire questline, every time you do something, someone shows up and says "you wont be able to the next thing!" and I feel as a whole this adds a lot of doubt about the competency of the villains. A more subjective issue I had was the emphasis on the nephalem, as all people on Sanctuary are technically nephalem by definition. It's fine to say our heroes might have inherited more power than the average person, but I kind of feel like we're attributing most of their success as due to what they are born with and less what they make of it. From time to time the dialogue just seems to kind of insult the players intelligence. All of the plot twists could have used more subtlety. Playing Reaper of Souls, Adria in the battle says "You never even suspected a thing!" When a character is introduced as Adria the Witch, pretty sure everyone suspected something. In closing, I've been dealing with depression for several years, and had been when the game came out, so it is entirely possible that my negative mindset has exaggerated the flaws and trivialized the strengths, so, do you have any particular parts of the game where you think the dialogue was put together well or the writing just seemed to be noteworthy? Am I just grumpy, or could blizzard have done a better job here? I've tried to be as diplomatic as I could be here, I apologize for not doing a very good job with it. As exemplified below. (butterfly demon? c'mon)MoobyNooby6 Jul 7
Jul 5 Human Firms How would Malthael and Auriel look like in human form? Would they look similar to Tyrael? If one had to make a wild guess?TyroneBigums1 Jul 5
Jun 29 What happened to Gillian? WARNING: If you have not beaten Diablo 3's normal mode, there are spoilers within this thread. Gillian was said to have left for Caldeum with Adria before Tristram was overrun. She supposedly helped Adria raise Leah while Adria "disappeared". I assume Adria disappeared to capture the essences of the Prime Evils in the Black Soulstone, as they were being killed by the Hero in Diablo 2. Somehow custody of Leah was given to Decard, if someone could fill me in on that, that'd be great. At the end of Act 3 in Diablo 3, Adria betrays them and goes through a portal, not one to heaven. Adria could've possibily went to a hideout of some sort that could lead us to Gillian, but it's very doubtful. Some people actually say that Gillian is dead, but there's plenty of evidence that proves she's alive and dead... Dead: Body in Diablo 2's Tristram found near the corner of her house. Ogden - Gillian Gossip: "Gillian, my Barmaid? If it were not for her sense of duty to her grand-dam, she would have fled from here long ago. Goodness knows I begged her to leave, telling her that I would watch after the old woman, but she is too sweet and caring to have done so." Alive: Rumors say that she'd have an important role within the game. Diablo 3 Lore - Gillian's Diary Part 2: "To think I was once afraid of Adria. She is going to take me to Caldeum with her soon. Caldeum! I never thought to see it with my own eyes... Though it saddens me to leave Ogden and his wife, Adria assures me that she will find a cure for my nightmares." The body found at Tristram could've been her grandmother's. Her grandmother, named Despira in a D3 Lore, was said to be able to see in the future, she could've told Gillian to leave if she knew what was going to happen. My theory is that if Gillian is infact alive, I think she will play a role in the Diablo 3's expansion. Little or big part, I really hope she does because I'm at a lost as to what had happened to her. Also, Adria and the Black Soulstone (Last seen falling from the Heavens after Diablo dissolved) are definitely going to be in it, and if not, there will probably be a Diablo 4. So my question to you guys, What do you think happened to Gillian? Note: If you have any claims about what happened to Gillian please provide evidence and proof.Patriarch5 Jun 29
Jun 18 Obelisk of Vyr Vyr built the black obelisk to harness energy from archons. Archons are powerful Protoss units in Starcraft. Vyr was just trying to construct additional pylons. Change my mind.mattplaz0 Jun 18
Jun 16 Diablo 3 Necro not the same as Diabpo 2? I read in a lore somewhere that the d2 and d3 necro are different. What's the difference exactly? we're the d2 characters not nephelems?aryanSPARTAN5 Jun 16
Jun 16 Where to go if Diablo 4 were to be made? I have no idea if Blizzard will ever consider making Diablo 4. But if they did, here's the Lore foundation that I think would profit them to adopt ... so Stay Awhile And Listen. First off, what is the "genre" of the Diablo game series, starting with Diablo 1? Yes, it's a dungeon crawling hack 'n' slash with a horror thematic to it as the background. But I'm talking about how the game is structured in terms of basic assumptions about the Player Character and the world they're (inevitably) fighting in. At its core, the Diablo series is about the PC being the UNDERDOG, up against forces more powerful than it is possible to comprehend. In Diablo 1 ... the PC was a mere mortal who was descending into a "hell under Sanctuary" until finally confronting Diablo himself ... the Lord of Terror. There wasn't anything particularly special about the PC, other than the fact that they persevered against "incredible odds" to finally win through and "beat the game" in the end (although that victory sure felt like a pyrrhic one given what happened afterwards!). But the key thing was that the PC was no "annoited hero" whose coming was foretold in the ancient texts (that Deckard Cain rambled on about at length). The PC had no "destiny" to fulfill. It was Mortal against the Lord of Terror, and the default assumption was that the Mortal really ought to lose. The point I'm making here is that the PC was "no one special" and the Big Bad™ was The Lord Of Terror. In Diablo 2, the PC once again was just a "mere mortal" ... albeit one who was "trained" or skilled in ways that the characters of Diablo 1 were not. So we got mortals who were a bit more powerful/skillful to play in Diablo 2, but they weren't pre-destined to succeed at everything they did. We were still basically playing "adventurers" who survived in the world of mere mortals. At best we could say that the PCs of Diablo 1 were basically "amateurs" while the PCs of Diablo 2 were essentially "professionals" as far as being mortals go, but they were still mortals. And to top things off, if Diablo 2 we not only had to go up against the Three Brothers but also Andariel and Duriel into the bargain! We even fought through the barren wastes of Pandemonium, the hellfires of the River of Flame, and all the way into the Chaos Sanctuary itself in order to defeat Diablo (again)! And then there was that whole weird thing about dragging the scene back to Sanctuary in order to off Baal at Mount Arreat and have Tyrael smash the Worldstone. Don't look at me, I wasn't consulted about the writing for Lord of Destruction. So in Diablo 2 ... our PCs were more "heroic" but they were still (mere) mortals, while the Big Bad™ wound up being not just Diablo but The Three Brothers. Then we get to Diablo 3 and ... wait, what? In Diablo 3, the PC is cast as being this bizarro superbeing, the Nephalem, who is the culmination of thousands of years of ... um ... something, something, homina homina ... pay no attention to the Angel of Death behind the curtain. You start the game assuming that just like before your PC wasn't all that special. Skilled maybe, but not the living embodiment of prophecy. Anyway, long rambling rant shortened ... your PC is quite explicitly NOT a "mere mortal" in Diablo 3, but rather something (and someone) NEW to the eternal battle between Angels and Demons. Even more importantly, "the Nephalem" manages to not only defeat THE PRIME EVIL but also the Angel of Death (who used to be the Angel of Wisdom, but gave that up for a new hobby). Basically, Diablo 3 sets up the PC as being THE MOST POWERFUL BEING IN THE COSMOLOGY, since they're essentially a reincarnation/reconstruction of the power of Anu. So then, where does that leave things with respect to maybe making Diablo 4? In order for the game to "work" conceptually, while remaining true to the Diablo mythos and game genre, the following baseline assumptions need to be present. The PC needs to be the underdog in this fight. The PC needs to be going up against the Biggest of the Big Bad(s) available. There needs to be an open question as to whether or not the PC is up to (let alone will survive) the challenge that the game is presenting. Well after defeating Angels and Prime Evils in Diablo 3, there really is no question as to who the Biggest Bad™ is going into Diablo 4 ... and it's not Diablo. Not by a long shot. No, the Biggest Bad™ in the game lore of the Diablo mythos is the Nephalem(!).DoubleTroubl16 Jun 16
Jun 16 Leah a true Demon (Super Spoilers) Looking back... theories Was Female Prime Evil Diablo, Leahs True Demon form? (different from possessed forms of Aidan and Albrecht) Theory, what in fact happened was that Leah was not possessed like Aidan/Albrecht but transformed into her true form and then absorbed the prime evils powers. Leah is Diablo's daughter, was mentioned by Adria. And might have never been the daughter of Aidan. And Adria herself was a demon? Maybe she already became a demon right before or while she carried Leah. Or maybe she was always a demon but in disguise. Making Leah probably a demon, only taking a Human form? Could we see Leah coming back as a demon boss in the future? Or a powerful demon ally? Some would say, Leahs soul in hell would be rescued in future franchise. What if she didnt need rescuing & her essence/soul rightfully sits within the realm of terror beside her fathers. And that now she can come and go freely as she wished from hell. Was the Prime evil defeated partly due to Leah holding back against her friend the Nephalim?Sabrac2 Jun 16
Jun 10 Witch Doctors and Diablo 2 Is there lore regarding the relation between the Witch Doctor and the flayers/fetishes/witch doctors from the jungles of Diablo 2's Kurast? The only reference I've seen is that they were demons.deLicio3 Jun 10
Jun 10 Tal rasha wanted to be released It just occurred to me, as I recall the cut-scene in diablo 2 played just before entering act III. That one scene depicting the wanderer entering the tomb with Marius, who was instrumental to removing the soulstone from the body of Tal Rasha Marius was drawn by the phantasm and voice of Tal rasha, urging him to bring about his release. There is nothing to suggest that that wasn't actually Tal Rasha, pleading to be released from the prison. The face, emanating from the demonic visage is embalmed and human. It is assumed to be a simple deceptive trick but why would Marius fall for that? When Tyrael calls him a 'Fool', its more along the lines of he meddled with things beyond his scope to grasp. And drastic measures must be taken, that is leaving Tal Rasha in that state of polarised containment, even though he's sufferingPrincePookie3 Jun 10
Jun 9 Who canonically defeated the Prime Evil? Basically, who actually defeated the Prime Evil in Diablo 3? In Diablo 1, it was a Warrior, a Rogue, and a Sorcerer, who end up being Aidan, Blood Raven, and the Summoner, respectively. In Diablo 2, Deckard Cain mentions in his book that it was the combination of the seven heroes that managed to defeat Baal in LoD. However, the Book of Tyrael and Storm of Light only briefly mention whoever it was that defeated Diablo, and it almost seems to point that it was only one hero. So, which one of the heroes actually defeated him, or was it a combination of the heroes again?Thunderclaww36 Jun 9
Jun 8 Greyhollow island haven't played in a while started again yesterday and noticed greyhollow island in adventure, anyone knows whats the point of this part? is there some sort of questline i can do here? only quest i saw was when i entered talked to the half dead person on the floor and then nothing. tried to find out what to do on the forums but all i see is ppl who talk about the journals wich they can or can not find. much obliged for the helpPluizebol2 Jun 8
Jun 6 How to win me over in a new Diablo project. Diablo 1 is what got me into online gaming back when I was 13 years old in the late 90's. That being said, Declard Cain was such an iconic character for me, and for many others I'm sure. Fast forward, Deckard Cain was killed off in Diablo 3. This really set a negative tone for the game, for me personally. I would love it If there could be a way in the story where some item or artifact, or something is discovered and the only one who could of helped us in a pivotal turn in the story would of been to have Cain's knowledge on the artifact to help drive a part of the story arc. Since Deckard Cain is physically dead, maybe we can travel to where his soul is and save him. Maybe Hell has set aside a special area to torture him due to his past deeds in helping us, maybe these methods of torture can reflect past memories of the series? i.e. Deckard Cain never escaped Tristram and is still trapped in the cage while goblins, skeletons, shamans, even Griswold is in this tortured memory. After saving him and we succeed in our mission(s) can we can send him up to the Archangels where he'll have a place with them and continue to live in the story some how. He is a playable character in Heroes of The Storm, so I'd like to think that there is more life left in him. You can even add a new skin to Deckard Cain in HoTS based on how he could look in the new game once he has been saved, maybe even saving him unlocks a skin in HoTS to encourage players to look into HoTS. Please, I just want to see Deckard Cain back in the game.Paynstar0 Jun 6
May 28 So... What's Next? With the ending of Reaper of Souls, we were left with at least two cliffhangers - the fact that Tyrael straight up said we'd end up choosing to be good or evil, and the whole debacle with Lyndon's brother and said brother's wife. Are we going to get a continuation of the story soon, or...?degrootpeeps4 May 28
May 18 Please Consider Blizzard!!!! What about events that could feature old (d1 & d2) bosses? Familiar faces are always nice and refreshing! Seeing the butcher for the anniversary event was really cool. D3 needs more content and lore! I loved D2s bosses; Andariel, The Summoner, Duriel, Tal Rasha, Mephisto, (obviously Diablo), and Baal.Plant4 May 18
May 1 Dungeon location Where can I find the "court of the lying emporer?MadGramps1 May 1
Apr 28 Stop bring back bosses from previous games I find it incredibly annoying how D3 is basically a remake of D2, with a few new things. Whatever happened to innovation and creativity?Secretempest2 Apr 28
Apr 27 Adria Bring her back in Diablo 4, she chose to become a demon and they can always come back and as a witch she can easily disguise herself back into human form, it will make a much interesting story making her character cryptic. Diablo sent her away until she is needed, when Diablo returns she can easily be summoned as she is now ascended into a Demon and be sent back into sanctuary the cultists have not given up on her. Have her disguised as a Royal Advisor like Lady Prestor, as she manifests her plan to bring Diablo into Sanctuary.Lyra1 Apr 27
Apr 25 Diablo ur uncle & Mephisto ur grandfather? So is Diablo your great uncle and Mephisto your great grandfather? So Humans/Nephalims are descendants of Inarius and Lilith. And Lilith is the Daughter of Mephisto. So Humans have a strong lineage to Mephisto. Also since Diablo is Mephistos brother, that makes Diablo an Uncle. I wonder if Mephisto has ever staked a claim on humans being his, since technically they are his grandchildren.Sabrac1 Apr 25
Apr 23 Leah is alive? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYkPkwUkryA&t=0m50s In a new Diablo legendary skin for Heroes of the Storm, he has some interesting voicelinesKosuna16 Apr 23
Apr 18 joke What did the Witchdoctor say to the Maiden of Lust? I heard you like fetishes.fallprince0 Apr 18
Apr 12 I hate the lie of this game Supposedly after the destruction of the world stone, nephalem are being born now with great powers and abilities, and we play characters that are nephalem. However, in reality it is not our characters that are powerful but our equipment. Strip down the most uber 70 rift running toon of all his equipment and he'd be hard pressed to kill zombies in act 1. This is the result of a LIE. And bad writing. We are not powerful, our equipment is. Therefore the story of the nephalem SHOULD be that they were the creators and harbingers of powerful weapons and armor and that only they could wear them, and that now that they're back can again wear and fight with powerful equipment. Then the game story wouldn't be a lie. /end rantVindictivus18 Apr 12
Apr 11 I heard that story in this game is weak ... To be honest i've never played Diablo game before and only one ARPG i did played was the first Witcher. Last week i jumped into MOBA games and played Heroes of the Storm a little. I really liked it but almost instantly felt that i need something similar but story driven. I've spent couple of days searching for a best candidate and i choosed this game although i read the story is weak. I've just finished ACT I with my 35lvl Wizard and i don't know what are people talking about but the story makes perfect sense and after reading about the Diablo lore, watching some cutscenes from previous games and reading everything i found in ACT I ... i think the story so far is great and the game as a whole is a big surprise for me! I don't know if this is gonna be worse later in the game (and i don't want spoilers please) but so far i'm having really good time with it. I just wanted to say it.Zloba3 Apr 11
Apr 9 Villain in-depth lore? I haven't read all lore and actually am not interested normally since lore has come from adventurers when I listen to it. And enemy lore has been about getting the black soul stone so I'm wondering if there is more beefy evil lore in D3 other than the visceral thing like "I'll eat you alive" thingy. Will be very much appreciated if I'm pointed int eh direction of getting this kind of lore. ThanksZahory1 Apr 9
Apr 9 So Leah is Diablo's daughter... Leah is Diablo's daughter... Adria is her mother... meaning Adria and Diablo...... HOLY MOTHER IN THE NAME OF !@#@!#?!!?!? Before we think about how rough it'd be while 'making' Leah... WTF WAS ADRIA THINKING!?!?!? But then of course, Adria is a witch, and she could've just absorbed some of Diablo's power or used some of his blood and created Leah.... BUT STILL!!! EDIT: I guess it also could've happened after the hero of d1 puts the soulstone in himself and becomes the dark wanderer and then meets adria...Wazzalisk26 Apr 9
Apr 8 Suggestions for the Future of Diablo. Initially, I did post this in General because I didn't know how to navigate myself in the forums. I still don't but I did find this page about Lore and Story, so I'll try posting it here as well. I recently went through the lore and some suggestions popped into my mind that I'd love to see in the game. I am not requesting an answer on wether or not these suggestions has already been contemplated to be implemented into the game, I simply want my ideas to possibly light a spark for future development. Take it as you may. 1. To start things off, I'd like to say that I adore the lore and would like the Story Mode to get a bit more sunshine than it's currently getting. 2. I think it is obvious that we all expected to fight Imperius at the very first play-trough. Act IV already has a lot of bosses and this may be a reason why we didn't get to fight Imperius. Another reason could be because another boss would follow directly after and this would seem tedious. Anywho... Naturally, we wouldn't kill angels (let alone archangels) but if they were standing in the way of the defeat of the Prime Evil, who knows. Auriel, Itherael and Tyrael would surely want to help fight Imperius but the archangel of Valor had many angels at his command and could possibly hold the three captive during the fight. And like in the fight against the Prime Evil, combat could be hindered (and ended) by the same event as in the Imperius-cinematic before the Prime Evil fight. If nothing else, I would love to see the Imperius fight as at least a bounty. 3. Last we heard from Lachdanen was: "And now I wander, cursed by my once beloved king. Evil gnaws at my bones, and I cannot risk putting my beloved Tristram in danger should I fail to contain that which tears at me. I must venture down into the labyrinth to die alone." To me, it seems that once he hears evil voices in his head, he realizes that his king wrestled with these mad thoughts for years. If the good Leoric could not best Diablo, how could he himself stand a chance? Or maybe he's stronger because of the sacrifice he made to try and spare his city? Either way, I'd love to see a corrupted Lachdanan as possibly a unique mob to kill in a bounty. If he somehow managed to find peace, maybe even a quest-giver. 4. Regarding the renegades Inarius and Lilith, Auriel writes: "In the end, Lilith was banished and Inarius was given over to the demons, who have tortured him in the Hells eer since." Now, I realize that Lilith was one of the übers in D2 so maybe we could leave her be. But regarding Inarius, wikipedia states: "The Lord of Hatred took the proud archangel and his followers captive. He bound Inarius with tremendous chains and slowly tore the wings from the back of the angel. Great barbed hooks were then used to stretch out the once glowing skin and his features were distorted by vile powers. [...] To this day, Inarius is said to be trapped in Hell within a chamber of mirrors, his eyelids torn from his face as he is forced to gaze upon his misshapen form for all eternity." I realize we already went to Hell and back and back to Hell and back again but maybe we could find a chamber of mirrors with a lidless and misshapen angel therein someday? 5. We have a Barbarian in both games, the Sorceress is like the Wizard, the Paladin is like the Crusader, the Necromancer is coming soon but the Witch Doctor was kind of all about summons as well and the Demon Hunter is kind of a mix between the Assassin and the Amazon. Monk is a cool new addition and even though some might look forward to a Druid-like class in D3, I have a suggestions for a future class. The name is not important but to be a nephalem they could be children of Inarius and Lilith or some other of the Angels and Demons that fled the Eternal Conflict. Maybe instead of male/female, we could choose Angel/Demon. The implementation of the story could be that they had been put to sleep by someone somewhere and only arose because of recent events or something of the like. 6. My last numeral is about the characters that we play as in D2. In the second game, we learn that the characters we played as in the previous one has all succumbed to the darkness. Moreina the rouge captain became Blood Raven and the Sorcerer guarded Horazon's Journal. The Warrior becomes the Wanderer who becomes Diablo and in D3 we also learn that he is king Leoric's eldest son and Leah's father. All we know of the characters in D2 is that the Necromancer took an apprentice and the Sorceress trained Li-Ming. I would love to meet any of the characters or defeat their corrupted counterparts in the future. This is all. I realize some requests might be too much. But if only one is taken into consideration and possibly put into fruition... At least I've made my voice heard ("words read" :S). Thank you for reading!Feryx20 Apr 8
Apr 6 A magical question Hello everyone I have some questions about lore to ask you. - Knowing that arcane magic is not a new magic born from the end of the world stone, because it was used by the mages before, where does it come from? - The demonic and arcane magics were prohibited at the same time, are they the same thing ? (so the kind of magic that Vizjerei mages used ?) -Does the magician also use elemental magic spells ? (or just arcanic power shape in ...) Thank you in advance for your response, and sorry for the mistakes, English is not my forte. :)Tingor2 Apr 6
Apr 3 Why Did Maghda Kill Deckard Cain? I'm playing through the campaign again with the new Necromancer and it occurred to me that Maghda had absolutely no reason to kill Deckard Cain. In fact she had every reason not to. She tells Deckard Cain to repair the sword or she'll kill Leah. Deckard then asks Maghda why she wants the sword. Maghda monologues like a good Disney Villian and tells him her master Belial wants the sword. Then Maghda proceeds to mortally wound Deckard Cain instead of Leah? She attacks the person she needs to complete the sword? And only because he asked a simple question. It's not like he was refusing. If Maghda felt it would take long to convince Deckard Cain to do what she wanted why not just teleport them all to some dungeons? And I thought Leah was a stupid character but Maghda actually beats her by lightyears. It's honestly the worst writing I've seen in a long time and I can't believe I didn't notice it the first time around playing it years ago.BrainstrmSrg25 Apr 3
Apr 3 Are the still seven evils or just Diablo now? After the purpose of the black soul stone was reveled, we saw Diablo become the "Prime Evil". Now that Diablo was defeated, do the demon lord's souls revert to being seven different entities or just one singular entity which is Diablo? If they return to being seven evils and were free what would the other six do to diablo? even now are they fighting as seven entities?or is it just the prime evil now. I'm curious to what are your take on this.Bhisham62 Apr 3
Mar 19 A D4 Future Villain Idea (TL;DR Malthael's very essence empowered by tons of human souls, and still empowered, yet also tainted/mutated by the Prime Evil, transforms into an "Anti-Nephalem" who is hard-wired to hate everything and will stop at nothing to make sure everything everywhere ever is undone as if it never happened. Anu and Tathamet's mutual desire to destroy each other made manifest.) With the fall of so many villains, it is reasonable to ask if there can be a future to the Diablo universe, when only Diablo himself, as the Prime Evil, still exists. I would suggest that a new villain might arise in the future of the franchise, separate from Diablo. A bit of headcanon or fanon if you'd like, and suggestion for Blizzard for possible future lore. The basics of what I suggest, is a character based a bit in ambiguity both in his exact alignment, as well as his identity, however he would for most part, play an antagonistic role. He would start out, or so it would seem, as a mortal human which the player character would encounter named "Morris Masters", similar to Leah in this sense, though I actually did not use Leah as inspiration. He would be a sympathetic, friendly character, a soldier, who we end up rescuing, and would find out has been hearing a voice in his head ever since he witnessed his family and childhood sweetheart tortured and slaughtered by demons. He'd tell us that he knows he is probably nuts, but swears he really does actually hear the voice, separate from his own thoughts, saying it's a running joke between him and his platoon that it must be a god talking to him. However, he would begin to actually truly believe the voice is a deity and start worshiping it after he gets to see his brothers in arms tortured, slaughtered, and raised against him which we would arrive in time to see him holding his own against them as well as the demons and cultists responsible, helping him defeat them. He'd tell us that the only reason he was able to survive as long as he did was because of the voice in his head guiding his actions, and thus, despite terrified and incredulous of the concept, actually starting to believe it wasn't just a joke. This would be the last we'd see of him for a while, until we end up being directed to help a mysterious individual who is struggling to save civilians from a town beset by some sort of horrors blizz could decide on. It would turn out to be Morris, who has discovered that by listening to the voice, has learned mysterious forms of magic that seems to fill him with both euphoria as well as uncontrollable fury when he uses it. We'd he'd then end up accompanying us for a short time to accomplish some good deeds before at some point, we go our separate ways. Why? Morris would decide, possibly prompted by the voice in his head that the only way to stop hell from being a threat for good would be if someone can depose and/or consume Diablo, and treat the burning Hells as a prison for the wickedness of the world, and serve as its Jailor. With him volunteering/being told to do so, but knowing we have our destiny, he wishes us well and sets off on his own to accomplish his goal. However, we the player character, over the course of the story are sorta prompted to be wary of him. In addition to being told by some benevolent benefactor which blizz could decide on, saying the magic he possesses feels foul, and while recognizing the innocents he has saved, and noble intentions, senses evil within him. Once we encounter him once more, the warnings seem to have been appropriate as we begin to see his quest has led him to do terrible things he, while clearly distraught by his own actions, has been told by the voice in his head are for the greater good. The murder of orphans, and the consuming of their souls for instance, with other events being caused by him that we end up having to clean up after, and plans of him and his "Lord" that we end up foiling. In the end Morris would "ascend" to become a new Greater Evil of the Burning Hells, an enemy of both Diablo, as well as everyone else. Mastemorus, the Lord of Bane. We would be told that Mastemorus was in fact akin to a Nephalem, but not one. Something else. Something that possessed the body and slowly consumed the soul of Morris from birth. Something spawned when Malthael consumed Diablo's essence. Essence of both Anu and Tathamet, or rather, of the mutual hostility and mutually assured doom of both. A monster that wants one thing and one thing only. For all things to both cease to exist, and to have never existed in equal measure.Kratos1 Mar 19
Mar 15 Diablo's Creation Story - Anu and Tethamat I'm surprised no one's brought this up yet. Amazon.com released some sample pages of Book of Cain recently. Contained within them can be found information about a complete creation story for the Diablo universe. You can check out the pages here: http://www.diablowiki.net/Book_of_Cain To summarize, in the beginning there was nothing except a "pearl". Contained within was a being known as Anu, a collective entity of all light, all dark; all good and all evil. In his eternal dream state he basically sat back and took a look at himself, and decided to become pure, and cast away all things apart of him that were negative and evil. This shedding of impurity created a collective being of darkness, the true Prime Evil, a seven-headed dragon known as Tethamat. So the two warred together for centuries, and their final killing blows against each other created existence itself and all the known universe. At the center of this event birthed Pandemonium, the "scar of the universe's violent birth", and at its heart lies the Heart of Creation, also known as the Eye of Anu, also known as... the Worldstone. Anu's spine apparently became the foundations for the High Heavens, while Tethamat's corpse turned into the Burning Hells. And Tethamat's seven heads formed none other than the Great Evils: Diablo, Mephisto and Baal forming from the dominant three, with Azmodan, Belial, Duriel and Andariel forming from the rest. Personally I'm not fond of Tethamat being considered a "dragon". Trag-Oul is already pushing it for me, I don't think "dragons" have any place in Diablo's universe. Other than that, though, any thoughts?Thanatos12 Mar 15
Mar 15 So angels and demons have sex and produce us? us = Nephalems, i mean. Seems kinda nasty...pandas22 Mar 15
Mar 13 Deckard Cain's Journal still available? Been trying to find Deckard Cain's Journal. The one with audio. But so far I have only found recordings of it on youtube (like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQqh5vc7-Hk). It is really nice, and I was planning on using it to introduce a friend to the story. It used to be on a home page. So, anyone know if that still exists? And if so, have a link for it? Thanks :)Asi1 Mar 13
Mar 8 what the did i just write all my ideas for nothing just now? test pagechopper2 Mar 8
Mar 4 The Weary Blacksmith when can I get the option for this when I talk to him? cause its the only one Im missing nowLuniz26 Mar 4
Feb 4 Deities and the afterlife in Diablo? So who is this "Akarat" guy? I might be missing out on something here because I have never played any of the previous Diablo games (dont hurt me...) but from what i have heard from the NPCs in the game it sounds as if he is some sort of deity but according to the Diablo wiki, he was once just a zakarum prophet. So when they say "may Akarat bless you" do they simply mean something along the lines of "may you emulate Akarat"? Or did his enlightenment some how grant him power in the afterlife? This brings me to another question... Where do the souls of people go when they die in the Diablo universe? Or maybe there simply isnt a concept of an afterlife in Diablo? But how come the culture of the witch doctor completely revolves around the idea of the "Unformed land" where the souls of everybody, not just the people of the Teganze, go to when they die. Then there's also that one line that Lyndon utters in the Arreat crater when he jokingly says that when he was young, people told him that he'll end up in hell if he didnt change his ways. Does this mean that the afterlife in Diablo is similar to that of Abrahamic religions wherein sinful people go to hell and righteous people go to heaven to become angels? But wouldnt that be illogical considering the fact that humans were the result of interbreeding between demons and angels? I guess im over analyzing at this point but it would really be appreciated if someone can clear some of this up for me.CactuShroom5 Feb 4
Jan 11 Tyrael is the embodiment of all races He is not black. He is not white. He's not asian. He's everything. But he is definitely not black. I keep seeing people saying he is this race or that, and the answer is no. Angels don't even have races, it would make no sense for him to just be a random race.Tsu66 Jan 11
Jan 7 Podcast on the Diablo lore. Interesting? Hi. I am a podcast producer / sound designer that is fairly new player to Diablo lII. I have an idea of creating a non-profit podcast on the Diablo lore. Like historical facts on the Diablo world beginning all the way from the beginning. It would be a podcast me myself would want to hear while commuting for example. The lore taken from different wikis and other sources.... Is this something you would like to hear? And if yes, do you have more suggestions on how to organize it? Or any other suggestion on what you think would be interesting? I could produce sample to upload here if anyone is interested.OctaTracker6 Jan 7
Jan 6 Heroes from D2? What ever happens to the heroes from Diablo 2? We know the heroes from Diablo one became Diablo (warrior), the summoner (wizard), and blood raven(Rogue). They kind of just get forgotten about. You meet a necro in A2 in D3 and Li-Ming was trained by the D2 Scorc, but that's about it. I like the Lore of Diablo more than anything else.Nick8 Jan 6
Dec 31 Azkaranth cant find any detailed description on Azkaranth, really wanna know the background of Azkaranth, as his amulet remains to be the rarest and most powerful mitigation drop in the game.Zetton2 Dec 31
Dec 21 Mia of the Act V event There is something very unjustified about her. She once told me that "No one will ever remember [anything wise]." Very unfortunate to be of such a temperance, you know. Start condescending! At once!Yntrepid0 Dec 21
Dec 19 Diablo Legends Lets make a new diablo. The story is amazing, but most players just power level, get gear and grind. Make a new diablo, that incorporates the entire story. From the beginning to the end. Make it just as hard ad D1, with better graphics than D3. bring every hero created, expansion, and item. Make one giant Diablo realm, with an actual pvp system, (i.e. let anyone enter, even if they intend on killing a player (that option can be selectable)) with extended item options, like enchanting. Similar to what the cube currently gives. I think this is the way to restore the Diablo franchise back to the awesomeness that it is. If this comes into effect i'll start buying a lot of activision/blizzard stock.MtlHed6 Dec 19