Lore and Story

Apr 1, 2015 ** NEXT Diablo ideas for DIABLO 4** so are the blood shards in any direct connection to the black soul stone? and is kaldiah collecting all the blood shards to reconstruct the black soul stone for her master " diablo" in the next expansion to the series will she be mentioned or used? cuz im confused at her purpose. did i miss something with her lore. if so plz inform me thanks :pTinyTauren14 Apr 1, 2015
Mar 26, 2015 Psychology -Stare Into The Abyss I saw this, and started thinking about the Diablo franchise. "It's a standard roguelike, but it asks the question 'what would exploring these endless dungeons do to a person psychologically? So while you're trying not to get your party killed, you're also trying to have them not become insecure, arrogant, or outright insane. It's DARK, it's BRUTAL, full of DESPAIR, and hopeless in all the right ways and yet...you'll find yourself soldiering on."-Extra Credits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBtYHKhvbyc#t=176 Is this not what Diablo should be about? Now, one of the things folks complained about was D3 heroes being too upbeat and forever true believers in themselves and their cause -albeit I suppose some of it comes with their increased power level. While weaker characters can have more desperation, power corrupts they say. However, Reaper of Souls managed to aesthetically recapture some of that old Diablo feel. But I'd also like to see something new in future Diablo Expansions and Games. Sure, our "heroes" have slaughtered tens of THOUSANDS of frightening creatures, and delved into dark places, but...what if it had a lasting effect on us? Do you really believe that a person could go a Diablo style military campaign or personal quest and come out "completely normal"? When we return from the fields of desolation and dark places under the earth...what do we bring back with us? Not in our sacks alongside our gold...but in our hearts? Now, Demon Hunter and their Hatred/Discipline does embody some of this, and we get stories from followers like Kormac the Templar about his Order he lauds so much isnt so noble. But...I want MORE of this. Now we saw what happened to original heroes. While the Warrior/Aiden was direct mind control, the Sorcerer went batshat insane. The Rogue ... I feel that when we fight demon lords they should rest assured they wont be destroyed forever, and go back home to hell knowing they've inflicted wounds on us that are as hard to heal as the festering wounds dealt by The Butcher, not cut in flesh...but engraved on our souls. For example, Azmodan was the Lord of Sin -but how much sin do our characters commit, or temptation do we face? If even "Valor shall turn to wrath", what can happen to us and could our characters stop it? At the very least in dealing with him we should have seen NPC characters we trusted and loved slip, and make us question our faith in "humanity" (descended from Angels and...Demons). I feel these themes would make for interesting stories.Mijuu3 Mar 26, 2015
Mar 26, 2015 Leah Dead or Alive What do yall think? I think she is still alive and will show up in an expansion. The wizard class says at the end of the game that she won't stop until Leah's soul is at rest so I assume she is dead but there's always that possiblity that they find some way to revive her. Then there is the loose end of Adria. I feel like the search for Leah and Adria will be the topic of the expansion they do I assume.Thrawn33 Mar 26, 2015
Mar 26, 2015 What alot of us love about Diablo 3 and EXP I do read a lot of forum posts and I am really saddened by many peoples lack of enthusiasm for the game. So I'd love to take this time to give some positive feed back to the whole diablo 3 team, and maybe an idea to consider. First I'd like to say how awesome I feel the game is and where it is headed, sure there are always game balance issues to address, but I feel you guys have done a wonderful job and love the new content you are constantly providing us, even the little ones when the do arrive. It has kept my interest and I do not understand why more people do not feel similar (not that they are not entitled to their opinions, but must you be so negative?) I maybe have 120 dollars invested into the game, plus the expense of the internet and game computer, but when you consider I've gotten thousands of hours of entertainment from it, What a Value! So best of all my wishes to the entire Diablo III staff, even those no longer with us! One of the main gripes you read about on the forums largely have to do with how many people feel diablo 2 is superior to 3. (I disagree due to the hacked nature of things, but anyways) This lead me to the thought, wouldn't it be great to be able to replay the storylines from Diablo 1 and 2 with the Diablo 3 engine, and before the naysayers gripe, I mean the graphic and animation engines not the game play engine, that should remain true to form. I'd even be willing to pay for such and animal. Just a thought to consider. Kudos Blizzard - may this reach the ears of staff, I love your product.SirRocketh1 Mar 26, 2015
Mar 26, 2015 too many false replies on this forum so many dont even know the lore and replies questions with false statements it's too tiring to correct those people to make sure OP gets the real answer to their question come on guys... if anything, ask here, i can probably answer most questions, but never with false informationBeerPark3 Mar 26, 2015
Mar 26, 2015 Diablo 3 Storyline in error? *SPOILER ALERT* Read this and comment if you have already finished the game through at least one time and or if you don't care to know certain details of the game you haven't discovered yet. *AT YOUR OWN RISK* Okay for the many people who have discussed this topic on many many different forums since the games Alpha and Beta releases and etc. I think that I will attempt to settle this matter once and for all.... (not to boast) sense I have a pretty good well rounded memory that retains nearly everything. (I suggest reading everything before you post/remark *please*) So first thing is first. Is the storyline in Diablo 3 fractured from the previous two games story arc? I would have to say that it is. And in order to prove this I am going to do a recap of all the games and make a detailed list of the things in Diablo 3 that contradict the previous games. The recap is just to help let people know. 1) Diablo/ Diablo + Hellfire Okay this game centered around the idea that King Leoric had gone insane from Diablo's twisted presence through Lazarus. Which resulted in his timely death and his son being possessed by Diablo. In this game Cain is warning the player that at the end of the entire mess; if he succeed. He/She must destroy the soulstone that holds the soul of Diablo. For by doing this it will banish Diablo back to the black abyss forever. We all know that the "Warrior" who defeated Diablo changes his mind and jams the soulstone into his own head believing Diablo could be controlled by his own will. This action lead to the events of Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction. 2) Diablo 2/ Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction This game beginning with the dark wanderer (A.K.A. "The Warrior" from the last game) destroying Tristram and finally giving somewhat into the control of Diablo. We find out many thing throughout this game about the Soulstones and the plan to corrupt the World Stone at Mt Arriat in the Barbarian highlands of the north. during the way we find out that the prime evils and the lesser evils can not officially be killed. (which is confirmed in a cinematic trailer with the archangels vs the demons in Diablo 3 when Diablo says he can not be killed and will eventually resurface). That they are in fact "upon death" sent to the black abyss to wait for a time when they will respawn back in the burning hells, which supposedly prevents them from coming back to "Sanctuary" (unless summoned or something else happens). Well during the course of the game the Three Prime Evils and Two of the Lesser Evil's are actually vanquished. Mephisto's SoulStone was smashed in Hell first, and then Diablo's after he was defeated. The Third Prime Evil Baal was killed, however it never showed what happened to his partial SoulStone; whether it was destroyed also or, if because it was so damaged; that it couldn't house him at all. ****None the less; AS TYRAEL SAID IN D2LOD ending, "We are too late Mortal, The Worldstone has to be destroyed because Baal had already corrupted it with his touch." the Worldstone was destroyed and DID NOT HOUSE THE SOUL OF BAAL****. So Here we have all three prime evils SENT BACK to the Black Abyss (not hell) and two of the lesser evils sent there as well.Lazarus16 Mar 26, 2015
Mar 25, 2015 Seeking information laws of the heavens? Just after a bit of lore assuming its out there after reading the Sin war trilogy recently I noted that there was a truce/pact between heaven and hell to not interfere with sanctuary as it grew but seeings as thats like what 3000 years before the events of Diablo 3? And the fact that the demons obviously had been influencing sanctuary in-between that time I'm curious as to where exactly these "ancient laws of the high heavens" that Imperious spouts on about to Tyreal are about and when they came to be? Was it just to make the speech sound better or is there actually some lore behind the laws? Any insight would be great its just bugging me.Disharmony2 Mar 25, 2015
Mar 25, 2015 Bul-kathos a Holy Warrior? I don't like to use in game stats as a source of lore, however the Bu;-kathos's Oath default weapon damage is Holy and well Holy is an element of the Divine. So does the spirituality of the Barbarians and Bul-Kathos come from a divine purpose? Obviously real life religion does not teach that "Holy" is an element that does "damage" or "healing" like in many video games, but the manipulation primal elements such as earth, fire, lightening, wind, water, ect. are considered miracles. With that note, this seems to fit the defenders of the World-Stone quite well. Any thoughts?warrior97584 Mar 25, 2015
Mar 25, 2015 Diablo version of WoW - thoughts/ideas Just an idea and would love to hear everyones feedback as well as ideas for it. Ive been checking out the map of Sanctuary as well as reading a number of posts from people who would like to see some diablo 2 areas again. I think it would be great to be able to travel to places like kurast and lut golein as well as being able to venture out into the wilderness to discover what is out there in the world of sanctuary as well as being able to venture into the realm of hell where the hell forge resides. Perhaps keep the diablo feel however change it so you nee to see a class trainer to gain an upgrade some skills that can on be gained via reaching a high enough level. I will be checking every now & then as well as putting up any ideas I can think of aswell. I'm quite interested to hear what your ideas will be.R4GN1S4 Mar 25, 2015
Mar 24, 2015 Ist rune D2 history/source/meaning hi,<br/><br/>Was the ist rune symbol created by blizzard or is it a copy of a viking rune say? If so what does it originally mean/which letter is it?<br/><br/>Any help truely appreciated.<br/><br/>Olliemysticpig0 Mar 24, 2015
Mar 23, 2015 Weird thought .... When ever Leah has been with you, it's really been Diablo following around and helping the whole time. o_O; Kind of ood that he's been helping the very person who kills him lol.Runemane1 Mar 23, 2015
Mar 22, 2015 A possible female barbarian story It's been noted that the male barb has a detailed story, but the female barb doesn't. The male barb is believed to be the same barb that fought in the battle against Diablo 20 years earlier, but the female is just a warrior girl with an unknown story. Here's my thought: The barbarian homeland was destroyed, the basis of their society was gone, so anarchy followed. Virtually all the warriors in their society have historically been men, and the men protected the women. However, when their society collapsed, many of the men were either killed, or went rogue. The female barbarian is a woman that took up an axe and fought out of necessity. Let's face it - the barbarian method of combat is not something fancy with any official training. Anyone with sufficient will and strength can become one. This woman, like a few other women near Mount Arreat, took up arms and became barbarians simply to survive. Had it not have been for the collapse, she might be back home baking cookies and taking care of babies, but with the men either dead or turned to chaotic evil, she had to fight. Like the male barb, she ultimately plans to return home to rebuild and reestablish order. In my view, she's not some macho woman that wants to pound her chest and prove a point; she's simply the result of circumstance and a bad situation. When faced with the option of either fighting of being gang-raped and murdered by savages, she chose to fight.Starblazer0 Mar 22, 2015
Mar 22, 2015 For those who miss real dialogue... I was reading through the D1 wiki and stumbled upon a section with all the dialogue from the various characters in D1. Even 20 years later some of this dialogue is really awe-inspiring. It perfectly set the tone for the game and was very well written, some of it is just downright creepy. I'd love for anyone to argue that the dialogue from D3 can even hold a candle to that found in the original Diablo: Adria about Ogden: "Earthen walls and thatched canopy do not a home create. The innkeeper Ogden serves more of a purpose in this town than many understand. He provides shelter for Gillian and her matriarch, maintains what life Farnham has left to him, and provides an anchor for all who are left in the town to what Tristram once was. His tavern, and the simple pleasures that can still be found there, provide a glimpse of a life that the people here remember. It is that memory that continues to feed their hopes for your success." Gillian about King Leoric: "I don't like to think about how the king died. I like to remember him for the kind and just ruler that he was. His death was so sad and seemed very wrong, somehow." Cain about Farnham: "Poor Farnham. He is a disquieting reminder of the doomed assembly that entered into the Cathedral with Lazarus on that dark day. He escaped with his life, but his courage and much of his sanity were left in some dark pit. He finds comfort only at the bottom of his tankard nowadays, but there are occasional bits of truth buried within his constant ramblings" Cain about Wirt: "The story of Wirt is a frightening and tragic one. He was taken from the arms of his mother and dragged into the labyrinth by the small, foul demons that wield wicked spears. There were many other children taken that day, including the son of King Leoric. The Knights of the palace went below, but never returned. The Blacksmith found the boy, but only after the foul beasts had begun to torture him for their sadistic pleasures." Dialogue like this really created such a dark, hopeless, and mysterious atmosphere, something that is completely absent from D3. There are so many other good quotes in the wiki and I encourage people to go back and read them, its a glimpse back in time to when this series really could call itself a masterpiece.Lordess2 Mar 22, 2015
Mar 22, 2015 How might a Necromancer look like I really, REALLY wish the next hero to be a Necromancer, and he might look like this NPC, Mehtan I found yesterday playing a Bounty in Act II (he even has some skeletons summoned!) http://s8.postimg.org/fnre9itfp/d3necro.jpg Looks very nice! Oh, how I miss commanding 15 skeletons, plus 15 skeletons archers plus a golem...Escarlata5 Mar 22, 2015
Mar 21, 2015 [Exp. Pack idea] Diablo 3: Nephalem Archives Now, I'm aware that the idea has been covered a few times within this forum, and I'm sure a lot of what I'm about to post is already mentioned elsewhere. However, I'd love to see more development in the ideas within. I've been involved with the Diablo series since the launch of Diablo 2, and to be fair... it's still my all-time favorite series in gaming. And things I've been missing are (what I would see) as simple improvements that could add an ever-abundant amount of replay-ability and could be a fantastic base to which the game could evolve from. So without further ado, let's get into this. Storyline: - In Westmarch (Act 5), there could be a transitional doorway into a library of sorts with hallways within cataloging the history of the Nephalem and their battle with Diablo and the forces of Hell. These catalogs are basically portals to each act within Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 (with the expansion packs). You enter each portal, and spawn in the corresponding main town to see your ghost representative (as you've seen on your way to Malthael) waiting for you to give you a brief rundown as to what the previous Nephalem had to go through to make way for the way things are today. You're essentially given the task to complete the quests and challenges necessary to progress the storyline and re-live the history. Boss fights could be unchanged from their respective games, and all that would be necessary would be a re-skinning. Keeping the monster types, monster skillsets, and map layouts true to the originals... only to upgrade the quality of the visuals. Gear: - In the main library, you could have a librarian/vendor that sold Archive-exclusive gear (Archive Legendaries and Archive Sets) that could be purchased using Rare Tomes that have chances to drop from elites, Void Ore which come from quest turn-ins, and Pendants from boss fights. This gear (set and legendary) will pay homage to the games of old, offering exclusive set bonuses and special effects that will roll random main and secondary stats when purchased. Items: - Bringing back some classic items that could either be in an exclusive Archive-only stash, or possibly rolling them into the main game would really give some alternatives then just farming gear. With the addition of new material drops from the game usable at the vendor, you could also use these materials to purchase Runes (only up to a certain level or Rune, though, like a THUL or ORT). From then on, you'd have to talk to Deckard Cain in a town, as he's holding on to the Horadric Cube, and combine them to level them up. Using these in multi-socketed white items to give them specific runewords which give the item specific skills and bonuses. Using runes in a different way, you could add a socket to gear or even allow a secondary re-roll on stats (additional to what the Mystic can do). You could also bring back small and large charms to improve skill strength (maybe you could have a large charm that gives you a permanent rune to a skill, like Polar Station for Sentries) and for small charms you could give elemental damage or resistance. Special Interest: - With the ability to gain access to Old Tristram, you could once again get to the Cow Level by finding Wirt's Leg and using some Rare Tomes to create the portal. - Taking a tip from World of Warcraft, the introduction of a Guild Bank could really benefit the feeling of comradery, especially since trading is non-existent. How this impacts Vanilla and RoS: - Since bounties, rifts, and greater rifts still benefit endgame playability, you could introduce the Archives as a Zone to go to, to farm bounties. You could also introduce all the act-bosses and monsters into rifts and greater rifts with their own skillsets to help diversify the endgame experience. Pros: - There really isn't a need to change the layouts, maps, and creature sets from the previous titles. So, upfront development won't be nearly as daunting as creating something from scratch. - This could add an extreme amount of replay-ability, in the form of farming different zones/events to keep from getting bored with what's available. - Nostalgia could bring back a lot of D2 and D1 fans, and possibly incur huge gains in the community. Cons: - Foreseeable development challenges, like how to handle the special abilities of monsters (like Duriel's frost cloud). I would love to create a running dialog on the design of this potential expansion pack, as I feel as though it's a smaller investment for a massive gain. Feel free to leave your 2 cents beneath, and I'll try to keep this post up to date to suit new ideas.toyomatt840 Mar 21, 2015
Mar 21, 2015 Preist new char ???? They should make a preist for party heals it would be a good group char for grifts 40+ it would make a diffrence in the exsisting grifts what is yalls thoughts on this subject ?Theresa4 Mar 21, 2015
Mar 21, 2015 War between Heaven and Hell Question. It's been eating at me for a while and I'll admit I have not read all available publications for the Diablo Story. But I got a few questions. First, are we suppose to assume the war between heaven and hell is based off the Judeo-Chirstian lore about fallen angels and jealously ect? If not, why are they fighting because obviously they where at war before the creations of the nephalem/humans. Next question, why do the forces of Hell want Access to the high heavens but the high heavens care not about the depths of hell ? If it's because of the cleanliness why does Diablo muck it all up when he gets up there, and why don't they just clean up the depths of hell. This is a serious question. I personally feel if that any realm the devil himself ruled would be bawling as hell and everyone would want to be there because he would want to make it as appealing as possible to the humans. Lastly, is it ever hinted that is someone or something that created both the entities of heaven and hell ?Michael2 Mar 21, 2015
Mar 15, 2015 "...as Fate lies shattered forever." 2-nd expansion? Fate = Itherael?Draco0 Mar 15, 2015
Mar 15, 2015 Isendra and a male Wizard Sadly, I think this is a plot point that Blizzard is going to completely ignore, but between the Zann Esu's prohibition against teaching boys, Isendra's violation of that prohibition, and the Viz-Jaq'taar's mission of killing renegade mages, you could make a very interesting story.Paviel0 Mar 15, 2015
Mar 8, 2015 Sir Daniel Fortesque Reference? I am re-playing through act v, and noticed a subtle conversation with Diadra the Scholar who says: "According to the Records, King Rakkis had a strong jaw, hair as black as night, and wore gleaming armor over his muscular...." I was just wondering if this is a shout out to one of the greatest games of all time 'MediEvil' as Sir Daniel Fortesque is described in very similarly in legend (well, before he loses his jaw, eye and uh.. body) . Anyway, just curious, because if it is, that is amazing.Orchamedes0 Mar 8, 2015
Mar 5, 2015 You know what I hate the most about Diablo 3? Cain never says "Stay awhile, and listen." Him saying that was bread and butter in Diablo 2. I miss his gruff commanding voice that I heard every time I went back to town in D2. Shame on you for not adding that :( EDIT: I actually enjoy D3, this is sardonic.Taidel3 Mar 5, 2015
Mar 3, 2015 cant get the myriam surprise convo after i kill adria nothing pop up its the last one i need of all conve help me pleaseDaycon1 Mar 3, 2015
Mar 2, 2015 Zoltun Kulle - anton lavey?? Question for Blizzard. Did you designed dark horadrim Zoltun Kulle by founder of the Satanic kult Anton Szandor Lavey? because his name Zoltun sounds like hungary name Zoltán and is as bald with goatie like him. Although i dont think LaVey was like 3k DPSFizius1 Mar 2, 2015
Feb 27, 2015 convo myriam surpise ? cant get it even if tried lots of different waysDaycon0 Feb 27, 2015
Feb 27, 2015 Only Diablos soul is released? Something I have been thinking about of late. So, defeat Malthael and apparently Diablos soul has been released... would it not mean the other 6 evils would be released also? Their souls were trapped within which I think would mean they all have equal chance of being released. Yes Diablo became the prime evil however that was only due to having a vessel and channeling the power of the other 6 evils whom are trapped within the black soulstone.R4GN1S3 Feb 27, 2015
Feb 26, 2015 Cinematics missing, I finished all of normal I finished all of normal and almost all nightmare now, but some cinematics aren't there, I can't watch the ones between acts, the one with Tyrael (as an angel) and Imperious talking is completely missing for example, as well as others. I only have like 3- the intro one, the one after you kill Magda and one other one, what's going on?thesnare77722 Feb 26, 2015
Feb 25, 2015 Fallen Hound - Beast? Fallen Shaman - Enemy type is Demon Fallen Peon - Enemy type is Demon Fallen Maniac - Enemy type is Demon Other Fallen Ones in Diablo III - Enemy type is Demon, with an exception I noticed last week! The Fallen Hound enemy type is Beast? They may have been beasts before the burning hells, but not any more. Am I over-thinking this, or do you guys think that the Fallen Hounds should also be Demons?Mike0 Feb 25, 2015
Feb 22, 2015 discovery of sanctuary I have spent the last 6 hrs. doing runs in the battlefield of eternity (season) and have not found any ancient corps. No wonder everyone is !@#$%ing.BlackHawk3 Feb 22, 2015
Feb 17, 2015 Where do souls go? After rereading the Book of Cain I came upon this interesting passage: "Anu had passed into a benevolent place beyond this broken universe- a paradise of which nothing is known and yet represents perhaps the greatest-kept secret of Creation. Longed for, but unimaginable." So this learns us that Anu's soul has passed on to another realm. So, could this be the place where human souls go after their death? Also, where did Tathamet's soul go to after his death? And do you guys think that souls of angels (and maybe demons) go there too, as it's been stated that when an angel is reborn it's not the same one (like a new aspect of Wisdom will be born, but it won't be Malthael)? A last question, did this realm already exist before the Universe was born, as the fragment seems to suggest that? Therefore what created it? Give me your thoughts.hylk0 Feb 17, 2015
Feb 16, 2015 Warriv What did you do to Warriv. It is just sad,Fizius0 Feb 16, 2015
Feb 16, 2015 old diablos 2 areas bring them back. give us the old boss/areas in adventure mods diablos 2 blacksmiths hammer anyone? Bump Wish they would bring the old areas back along with some of the quest.(update the areas old boss everything and add into diablos 3" idea behind this is the search for the black soul stone fragments) charsi quest for the legendary black smith hammer to add a personal socket.Saddin3 Feb 16, 2015
Feb 16, 2015 Bring Back Andariel, side quest, Personally, Andariel was one of my favorite bosses. I think it would interesting to have a patch create a back story adventure quest or quests. It would span as a telling of the stories when the Lesser Evils overthrew the three primes. This would obviously take place before the events in the first Diablo but close to when Diablo was below the bowls of tristram. Is there anyway we could start a petition on this to get support?SAL19790 Feb 16, 2015
Feb 13, 2015 What if Diablo 3's story was actually good? What if I was a story exec at Blizzard and the writers brought me the story and said "this is what we want to run with" ("this" being the story we have come to know and cringe at)? Here's how I would rework it. PROLOGUE The fact that there is no unique prologue for the individual classes is a HUGE miss for the storyline. I get that "Diablo is about the action, not the storytelling" but the reality is the more compelling the story, the more invested I am in the action. Without a good story, Diablo isn't an "ARPG", it's just a twitchy click-fest; there's no real way to ROLE PLAY if there isn't a story to role play in. Furthermore, it's one way to distinguish the classes (and at least motivate people to actually TRY them) and would have opened up the game to the creation of individual introductory plots that would not only give players a reason to play the different classes, but create a story arc that actually explains WHY THE HELL the different classes (who are presumably from different parts of the game world) all find themselves in Tristam to begin with (apart from there is something sinister afoot). It doesn't really make sense they just happen to be there just as things are going down. Also, why not try to work those same story arcs into something that transverse the entire game? This would be a little extra work, sure, but it would give the game a little more replayablity since each class would have a unique storyline to play thru, thus players would feel a little extra incentive to play each class. (When playing multiplayer, the dominate story arc would be based on the class of the host.) Also, it is in the prologue that the PC learns the Town Portal spell, because a hero should always know before leaving on a quest how to get home. ACT 1 So Act I should start with the PC arriving at Tristam (because of "reasons" explained in the Prologue) and finding it the hot mess we are familiar with. HOWEVER, rather than have the undead rising coincide with a falling star, it coincides with the passing of a foreign convoy from Caldeum thru Tristam, initially assumed to be a bunch of merchants (but who will later in the Act to be revealed to be the young king and his entourage). This would remind the players familiar with D2 with the Dark Wanderer etc. Also, it makes more sense than "the aspect of Justice cause the undead to rise because 1) How is it just for those same dead to then murder innocents? and 2) why do these dead create the rising of MORE undead outside of the range of Tryael's influence, and 3) his influence clearly doesn't cause the undead abominations, or corrupt the goatmen; that can be blamed on the Coven, so why not blame them for everything? The player will later discover the that undead rising are part of a secret plot by the existing lesser evils to create a massive undead army to harry mortals and prepare for a massive demon invasion. (A tip of the hat to Warcraft). When the player first arrives to town they are are told that Cain and Leah went to the Cathedral to research the undead scourge and see if there was anything that could be done to stop it. THIS is when we get a nifty in-game cut scene (just some flashing lights, camera shakes, and loud noises) that intimates the crashing of the star into the church. The PC is rushed to the church to see if Leah and Cain are OK. Leah is met for the first time just outside the cathedral wounded and about to be made undead lunch. The hero saves her and she relates why they were in the church and how Cain is still missing and assures the Hero she will be fine finding her own way back to Tristam, but she intends to stop off at Adria's hut on the way back to see if there is anything useful there as well. (The hero will confirm that the path has been cleared of undead and is safe.) Game proceeds as usual until the scene where the player typically meets Cain for the first time. Instead of meeting Cain for the first time, the PC enters the room with the door that has to be opened with the crown. Instead of being locked, the door is open. As the PC approaches the door, we are introduced to the spirit of the Skeleton King who stops the PC, shuts the door, and magically seals it, and then leaves us to fight with the usual mobs. Upon defeating them the PC decides to head back and see if Leah knows how to get past the locked door, which she just so happens to know because she read something in Adria's journal (which she found in the hut off screen) about using the crown to undo the King's magic and as a means of making him destructible again by making him part of the material world (because as a spirit he is an indestructible influence). Also, the journal reveals that Adria is Leah's mother, which is the first time she has ever heard of this (this makes more sense, since keeping her separated from Adria was supposedly a means of protecting Leah -it wouldn't do any good if Leah knew all along and might feel compelled to seek her out). Game continues as usual. After defeating the SK we enter the chamber and find Tyrael barricaded and fending off legions of undead with his sword, which has been shattered and consists of only the hilt and the base of the blade. He is protecting a dying Cain who has been grievously injured by the collapse of the cathedral, and who is half-buried under rubble. Tyrael has no memory of who he is or why he is here, or how he got there, but he instinctively knew that he was obligated to protect Cain at all costs (as it will later be revealed because he caused the collapse, and the aspect of Justice would feel compelled to make amends as best he could). Cain is dying (it makes no sense that he could survive a crashing star and falling at least 2 stories and evade hordes of undead, but couldn't stand a little mystical torture later in the game), and with his last words he leaves us a cryptic message about the heavens and demonic invasion, and then a final command: find Adria and protect Leah. He then dies, the hero and the angel return to Tristam. Upon returning to Tristam, Leah receives the bad news rather stoically -she is in shock and doesn't know how to take it all in. She thanks the stranger for protecting her uncle for as long as he did, and then notices strange markings on his blade that match markings from Adria's and Cain's journals. When asked where he got the blade, he doesn't remember, but he recalls it being next to him in the crater in the cathedral. It is decided that the other blade pieces need to be found in order to better understand what the markings mean, and so the quest for the blade shards continue as usual. When the final shard is collected, Maghda enters the town and holds it hostage. The hero fights valiantly, saves everyone, but not before she escapes with the stranger in tow. Leah, who has been studying the journal, realizes that she might have inherited the same magical powers as her mother, which she uses to fix the blade, which is clearly angelic in origin. This is the first mention of any powers/abilities with regards to Leah. The Skeleton King is dead, but clearly his rising was at the hands of this Coven which has revealed itself, who have something to do with the undead hordes as well (again another tip of the hat to Warcraft), and the stranger needs to be rescued before being corrupted. Game continues as usual. When the stranger is rescued, hordes of mobs start flooding into the area. The hero tosses the stranger the sword, thinking an extra hand will help. Instead, upon grasping the sword the stranger temporarily turns into the angel Tyrael (as depicted in earlier games) and becomes a total badass, wiping out all the mobs before returning to his mortal self, this time with all his memories (and sword and armor) intact. The temporary transformation is explained to be the last vestiges of heavenly power from the sword before it exhausts itself forever. (So no saber blasts in act 3 to open siege doors, you don't get to selectively have super powers with your swords). He also remembers that he is the one who was the falling star, and voices his regret at inadvertently causing Cain's death. This admission is not well-received by Leah, who now feels she should blame or lash out at him. Her response is softened by the fact that Tryael didn't mean to do it, and the fact that he initially came to help the mortals, but she still ends up with something of a chip on her shoulder. END ACT ILilhellraisr21 Feb 13, 2015
Feb 13, 2015 Let's calmly discuss Leah **Spoilers** If you have not played the game yet, I'm going to be talking about Leah and her involvement in the game currently and possibly in the future with expansions. Also possilby a long read ahead. *Disclamer: I have never played Diablo 1 or 2. So if anything I say here so far sounds really off, doesn't really fit in the lore, or doesn't seem to be able to hold it's own, let me know.* +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Best TL;DR I can come up with: Leah is actually Diablo reincarnated and The Lord of Terror now is no longer a fully fledged demon. This could open up bigger story arcs and put Diablo in a different light. Let me say I really do like Leah and was bummed out when she died to bring back the Lord of Terror but simply bringing Leah back from the dead will probably be going down the wrong direction. Instead let me ask you guys something and this is probably going to sound stupid and possibly in the fanboy fiction garbage: What if Leah never truly existed? What if the person that Cain considered family, was brought along adventures, fought alongside the Nephilim to bring down the demons was in fact Diablo the entire time. What if Leah was not just some vessel to resurrect Diablo but was reincarnated when Leah was conceived? This isn't to say that when you were having conversations with Leah, they never mattered. That the person that you grew attached to (or was relentlessly annoyed by.) was a pointless endeavor. When you were talking to Leah and her hopes and her desires, you were, in a sense, listening to what Diablo desired...in its most human form. Now why would Diablo, the Lord of Terror, be acting like this? Well, Diablo didn't think it was Diablo, it thought it was Leah. Think of it like someone got bonked on the head and got amnesia. They pick up a new name, get a new life, gets a new identity. Then that person gets bonked on the head again and memories of their previous life floods right back in...and they become the Prime Evil trying to destroy the Heavens. ++Okay, ready for things to get stupid? Because if you didn't like what I have said so far, things are about to get really fuking stupid.++ Now why is this impotent for Diablo? I believe if this route is taken, it will give Diablo some very interesting character development. Not only would it be giving the Lord of Terror a taste to what it is to be human but this would also grant Diablo something special. If I remember correctly, humans consist of half angel and half demon. When Leah was created, she didn't get half and half. She got a lot more demon in her than angel and it's safe to say that she was probably 1/12 angel or possibly 1/34 angel. The point I'm getting here is that if Leah is simply a reincarnation of Diablo, this means that Diablo is now no longer fully demon. It's been tainted a bit by the essence of an angel. This is a really important thing I want to stress because now that Diablo has lived the life as a human and is no longer a full demon, this could give Diablo...humanity. I'm going to try my best to explain here (and I'm probably going to fail, sorry.). If Diablo was fully demon while being Leah and was "awoken", Diablo would have not have given the time as being a human a second thought and would have even laughed at the irony with Deckard Cain taking care and raising his mortal enemy. But Diablo is not a full demon and those events may actually hold some weight on it. It might look back at those times with fondness and actually contemplate its current goals. It might look at the times at being a human and remember actually enjoying them. May even weigh whats more important to it, what would bring the Lord of Terror greater joy: to conquer and destroy the angels or to build that stupid tavern it wanted to build while being a human. With this, Leah becomes something more than just some person, she becomes morality and humanity that would be scratching in Diablos mind. She may become something that Diablo would yern to be again. Good chance I'll expand at to what I am going with here but I want to hear what you guys think so far. The creators have talked about bringing back Leah or involving her in some expansion so if you don't want her back, that may not be likely. So what would be better, for her to simply come back going, "hey guys, wow that was a crazy ride." or for her to have a larger meaning. Also on a scale of 1-10, how stupid is this?Rol40 Feb 13, 2015
Feb 13, 2015 Are all humans nephalem? I got the impression that our characters were unique, and that not every human was a nephalem.Astinus8 Feb 13, 2015
Feb 12, 2015 The story My favorite breakdown of Diablo's story. I was experiencing the exact same thing going through for the first time. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y4ozFP_xzs1lGaiqMHmZ2aEIPKhxzeW-tst_EZ5qiUw/edit?pli=1 He's pretty brutal, but I think it's necessary.SuperduperJW0 Feb 12, 2015
Feb 11, 2015 Diablo II gossip I've been playing through Diablo II, and being something of a lore nerd, I tried to get as many different Gossips as I could. (Yeah, I know I can just look them up on a Diablo wiki, but I like to hear all the Gossip in the game itself.) Anyway, for some reason it seemed like I couldn't get Jerhyn's gossip about things "getting worse by the hour," or Alkor's gossips about Natalya or the Golden Bird. Can those gossips only be heard at a specific point of their respective Acts? Were they completely removed from the game? (And if so, in what patch?) Was I just unlucky?Paviel0 Feb 11, 2015
Feb 6, 2015 i refuse to see diablo 3 as official canon if you wrote 2 good books and everyone liked it and then your dad came in and ripped up your third book and then gave it to some other guy to write and it was really bad would it be considered canon? no i dont think so its more fan fictionKevin12 Feb 6, 2015
Feb 2, 2015 How Old is asheara? How old is Asheara? she still looking hot but its been years since the age of Diablo II to Diablo III, and how come she doesnt look old? Also what happened to Gillian and Ogden, are they still alive?Conquistador2 Feb 2, 2015
Jan 31, 2015 Barbarian Religion and Beliefs Does anyone have good info on the subject matter or a link?warrior97580 Jan 31, 2015
Jan 30, 2015 [old style idea] MUD about Diablo universe Diablo universe has very good lore but Hack n Slash games are not designed for tell in-depht. Imagine a text-based game with scroll style graphic (like D3 cutscene) without action where you are a horadrim that exploring forgotten places, looking for information and answers about misteries of what happen in Main plot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD What do you think?Tyrion0 Jan 30, 2015
Jan 29, 2015 Possible Diablo III: RoS plothole? So, unless I missed something, I don't really understand why Imperius helps the nephalem in RoS. Basically, what Malthael was doing was seeking to imprison all creatures of the Burning Hells with the black soulstone, but in doing so it would kill the humans of sanctuary since they are half demon. You would think this would be an ideal scenario for Imperius who has wanted the destruction of sanctuary and the nephalem from the beginning. Killing 2 birds with one stone; eliminating the Burning Hells and destroying the nephalem. Yet, he helps the nephalem defeat Malthael and foils that plan. I thought maybe Storm of Light would have Imperius having a change of heart or something, but as I finished it, nothing seemed to changed from his perspective. In fact, he's more angry with Tyrael and the Nephalem. The only thing I can think of for Imperius aiding the nephalem in RoS is because the Angiris Council voted to keep Sanctuary around and to leave it alone with Tyrael, so maybe Imperius wanted to stick with that decision. But, like I said, there may be something I missed, in which case, please clear it up for me.Deak21127 Jan 29, 2015
Jan 29, 2015 Let's Write a Story Together Hello, fellow Forum-Goers! Let's write a story together. Add one sentence to keep the narrative going. You can make it serious, silly, or totally insane. I'll compile the results in this first post. ... I'll begin: ------------------------------ My name is Fabrosi, and I still remember where I was when I heard that Deckard Cain had died.WordMaster47 Jan 29, 2015
Jan 27, 2015 Why Diablo??? So while i was reading through these lore forums, i realized something. If the black soulstone already had all the evils trapped inside it, when adria thrust it into leah (thats what she said), then why is diablo the one who becomes the prime evil? Why not any of the others? Is this another of many story plot failures, or am i stupid? Please help shead some light on this for me.Ravemaster5 Jan 27, 2015
Jan 24, 2015 Could Tyrael be the "hidden final boss" In the trailer, he has a sooooo weird smile when he settled the Back Soul Stone. And He said "you shall all...” Could it be "die" ,which was interrupted by Malthael and changed to "run"? I always believe Tyrael is the backstage manipulator since Diablo II. XDmyw36 Jan 24, 2015
Jan 24, 2015 Amazon She is coming... So I'm excited was catching up on the current affairs... The horadrim are investigating the Skovo Isles!!! Well guess which class inhabits the thick brush... Amazonian woman.Archangel17 Jan 24, 2015
Jan 22, 2015 FRP concerns Hello, I'm interested in diablo universe, and I read most of the books. Recently, I've joined a FRP group where we play in a diablo setting, I rolled a necromancer class and looking for information about rituals, chants, and more background information about necromancers (a.k.a Priests of Rathma). Are there any good sources to dig for more information? Internet is good, but i just can't seem to bump into any FRP material related to diablo by google. Help is much appreciated.Amandil2 Jan 22, 2015
Jan 19, 2015 Diablo's Plan meaningless? So the Wrath short movie set up the concept that the main strength of the angels over the demons was their unison, and the Diablo 3 whole story-line hinged on the fact that if the demons united they would be unstoppable. Diablo succeeded in uniting all the Prime Evils into one entity, still it's got it's butt kicked as easily as ever before!Khas7 Jan 19, 2015
Jan 18, 2015 Why not just destroy black soul stone on AoA Why not just destroy black soul stone on Anvil of Annihilation? Isn't that will banish all 7 evil lords into black abyss? Since Tyrael dare to destroy Worldstone which end up wiping the Mount Arreat, why not take the risk to destroy the black soul stone?Ildun1 Jan 18, 2015
Jan 16, 2015 Where is Mbwiru Eikura? Could Mbwiru Eikura actually be a real place? I think it might be Pandemonium since that the WD says he can hear the spirits easily in there and after gaining the power of the dead it is said that he can walk through the veil instead of merely peeking through it. Witch implies walking into Pandemonium means walking through the veil, and gaining the aspect of death buff means being a member of the unformed land.And Malthael is able to harvest the spirits in Pandemonium, witch means that spirits go there, and Mbwiru Eikura is where Spirits go.And in Act 2 with Zoltun Kulle the WD says a shadow of Mbwiru Eikura is better than anything on this world Deckard Cain said "My journey to Pandemonium has allowed me to see a new world — one that is almost too fantastic for mortal eyes. The ancient battlefields stretch before me, a desolate space that is occupied by small, scouring beasts. They search the lands endlessly, thriving off the magic that lingers from battles long past." - Deckard Cain. So a world too fantastic for mortal eyes, and the unformed land, could those two be referring to the same thing?VoidSoul1 Jan 16, 2015