Lore and Story

May 21, 2014 [Video] The Story of Diablo's Creation Hi all. I decided to give story telling a try and chose to do Anu & the Dragon as my first. Feedback and constructive critisism would be very welcome! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drKT_xW_WHQXilith0 May 21, 2014
May 19, 2014 How is Diablo killed at the end of Diablo 3? If it was that easy, just like slaying a normal monster, why bother with all that soulstone business at all?UmurAkay1 May 19, 2014
May 19, 2014 So what is the TRUE nature of the Dark Exile? The Dark Exile, one of the most iconic parts of the Diablo backstory.. I recall it adding so much depth to the story reading it in the Diablo 1 manual. Than Diablo 2 threw that curveball.. you all know the moment.. when you defeat Izual.. and he reveals to you the whole thing was just a ruse. The Prime Evils purposely got "exiled" to the mortal realm so they could get their greedy hands on those soulstones. One of the coolest aspects of the Diablo series got retconned into lie. And even the Lesser Evils were aiding the Three, indeed confirming it was all a ruse. Then along came Diablo 3. It re-retconned the Dark Exile into being real again.. complete with Azmodan and Belial really being in the civil war and really having rebelled against the The Three. Uh, what? Now on the anivserssary, Blizz released the "Story of Diablo" feature on the Game Guide, and it also sticks to the version of the story where the Dark Exile wasn't a ruse at all. What am I supposed to make of this? Izual was bluffing? A mix of both stories.. ie the rebellion was real, but The Three losing the war was staged? What really went on?Paz1 May 19, 2014
May 19, 2014 Tiamet and the Prime Evil Is there any real appreciable difference between Tiamet and the Prime Evil that was Diablo in the end of the game?MaxPower2 May 19, 2014
May 19, 2014 There can be, only one? Just read some notes from the recent Anniversary Dev Stream on DiabloFans that said.. "After the death of Malthael, the combined Prime Evil Diablo was released, rather than the individual Evils" http://www.diablofans.com/news/48075-more-info-from-the-anniversary-dev-stream-gambling Tyrael also says, after Malthael is defeated that Diablo is released, not giving a sense of all of the evils, but Diablo as a singular enemy. Are we really only going to face Diablo from now? Never again the other evils he combined with like Mephisto, Baal, etc ? I'll be honest, I will be pretty disappointed if it's just Diablo from this point. Part of the fun in Diablo lore wise for me, is it wasn't just a singular leader of the Infernal Hells, but a large army lead by numerous badasses. And with Heaven not really backing us, the odds seemed so overwhelming against Sanctuary and it's inhabitants, which made for a dark and interesting challenge like "How can we possibly win against all these awesome enemies?" But now Heaven is more or less supporting Sanctuary, and only one enemy of Hell to defeat (Diablo as the singular, Prime Evil), which we already have defeated, is this still a challenge? Even without Heaven's support, the Nephalem is more than capable it seems to defeat Diablo again. I for one would welcome the return of ALL the evils, traitors banished (Inarius, Lillith for example), and whatever else can be thrown at us. Otherwise, I don't see Diablo as a game franchise, lasting longer than another xpac, or even being that interesting in the next. Sorry to sound pessimistic, I just love the lore, characters and want to feel like there is still a lot more to come story wise for us. Like Warcraft and Starcraft, there is SO~ much Blizzard can do with the lore in game and I hope they don't fall short of reaching out to deeper and more challenging adventures for us in Diablo.Kinetic1 May 19, 2014
May 18, 2014 Obtaining A prisoners Journal Has there been a fix to this bug yet? i looked it up and there was a thread about it that was shut down by Tsarnis (whom i am assuming is a blizzard employee of some sort)... he said Hi Everyone, While we appreciate all of your reports about this and other issues in this forum, this issue is listed in our Known Issues list. The issues we have listed there are issues that we are aware of, and in most cases plan to fix. I'd encourage everyone to read over the known issues list from time to time. We would prefer to avoid cluttering up the forum with reports of issues that we have listed in Known Issues if possible, which is why that list exists. Thanks again, and see you all in-game! but if you go and look at the known issues list it isnt there, and there appears to be no fix. i have run through this event a couple dozen time and havent gotten the book drop yet. Has been fixed in RoS 2.1.0Garh19932 May 18, 2014
May 16, 2014 just got a new smart phone i want to load it will ebooks (short stories, novels) from diablo? where can i download and what should i download? thanksveryparanoid1 May 16, 2014
May 13, 2014 Who is this character? http://i2.wp.com/www.adriacraft.net/images/stories/news/2013/Sep/17/reaper_of_souls_portraits.jpg Second row, in the middle, looks like an angel, with the robe and no face. Next to general thorion (wolf helm face) Did I miss him in the campaign perhaps, hmmmm, he somehow seems familiar!mvm1993 May 13, 2014
May 13, 2014 Achievements Anyone feels like doing achievements with me?KB240 May 13, 2014
May 13, 2014 Trag´Oul doesn´t cares about sanctuary? Since the ancient times of Sanctuary Trag´Oul has been searching and protecting the balance,trying to free the world of Sanctuary from the presence of both angels and demons.My question is now,why he didn´t appear when the reapers atacked indiscriminately the humans,endangering the balance. Has Trag´Oul another idea about what balance means?,I thought about it,but he helped humanity,instructing necromancers...so this means he really cares about humanity.. but didn´t appeared yet. Can someone enlight this question or explain his or her thoughts about it? sorry for my english ,Im spanish and i dont know if i explained myself well.Aqua6 May 13, 2014
May 12, 2014 Olde Town IPA I am all for easter eggs, but this one takes me out of the world. Where in the world of Sanctuary is India?Apostle1 May 12, 2014
May 12, 2014 Dirgest and Liria (Spoilers)? Well now that Dirgest is free what role might he play in the future? If there is another expansion will he be an extension of the sidequest or could he play a larger role? I would compare this relationship to Lycander x Philios whose daughters formed the Sisters of The Sightless Eye and the Amazons of Skovos. I'm thinking Dirgest was a deserter from Hell, maybe a Lieutenant of Azmodan (Master of Avarice)? His very essence was "Desire" which limited him to visiting Liria at night because "desire rules the night", and he captured her heart by showering her with gifts. Zei/Shen says the "World is in danger", which makes me wonder how powerful Dirgest is relative to the demon lords (of course we beat them before, so maybe no big deal?) He is said to have committed "Crimes against his people". But what is a "crime" to demon? That aside, I'm wondering just how the helen-of-troy Shen/Zei can remember ANYTHING. Albeit he says he is losing his memories. I thought most people lost their memories world wide due to intervention after Uldyssian's sacrifice. I also thought all the Ancients lost their immortality because of the changes Inarius made in the Worldstone. Do you suppose Shen/Zei could have stolen a tiny piece of it and altered its properties? It seems he may have trapped Dirgest in a precursor of the Black Soulstone (man made rather than deifacted).Mijuu0 May 12, 2014
May 10, 2014 In Strange Eons Even DEATH May Die (2nd Xpac) That is not dead, which can forever lie. The tentacles of Lovecraftian Horror have found their way into many mediums. Videogames are no exception, and Blizzard is somewhat familiar with it. We have not seen any in the Diablo franchise, albeit we have gotten bits and pieces of it in books. What if....Diablo got a 2nd expansion, and this dealt with the Nephalem and their encounters with other entities from beyond? Angels and Demons are NOT the only immortals. There are many others which come from stranger places and are far older. http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Trag%27Oul http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Covetous_Shen http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Dreamer ... I feel an expansion of this nature could tread a lot of new ground, albeit it might be more appropriate as Diablo IV with 4 full acts unto itself.Mijuu2 May 10, 2014
May 10, 2014 Something Seems Off About the Reapers... I just noticed something and thought it might be interesting to bring up. In Diablo, Angels are shown not to be beings of flesh and blood but instead are more like energy beings inhabiting a shell of armor. The only notable exceptions to this rule are Tyrael, who threw away his immortality and thus became mortal, and Izual, whose soul is bound to that of a demon. This made me wonder why, when we see Reapers that are of Angelic descent (like Anarchs, Exarchs, Winged Assassins) why are they comprised of flesh mainly? Wouldn't they be more energy-like like some of the humans who've been forcibly transformed into Reapers? For that matter, what exactly goes on during the Reaper transformation? I mean, we see energy-being like Reapers in the form of Reaper Archers but then there are more flesh and blood Reapers in some of the Angelic Reapers and some of the human Reapers. Is this some sort of power of Heaven we don't quite know about yet? It's sure not a power of Hell, given Malthael's stance of things (and yes, I know he fused himself with the Black Soulstone during the fight with him, but that was at the very end and was more or less a gamble for him since he needed an edge against us when he realized he was losing). Or could it be something more? Remember, that Malthael said in the lore books littered throughout Pandemonium that he heard whispers that he then followed. What could these whispers have been? Could it have been his own head playing tricks on him as he was walking the path towards madness? Or could there be another power at play here that was pulling Malthael's strings? One that differs from Heaven, Hell, or the Nephalem? If so, who or what could it be? A really messed up Inarius (getting tortured for a long time can screw a person up; just ask Izual)? Lilith? So many questions! What do you guys think?Shade12 May 10, 2014
May 9, 2014 Leah must remain DEAD: here's why Leah. We kinda liked her and was going to take the place of Decard Cain. But Diablo possesed her and, well, it didn't end nicely. Listen, she has to remain dead. Albrecth and Aidan remained dead. Tal Rasha remained dead and Sankekur remained dead. If Leah returns, there's no reason why all the others can't come back. If you tell me "But wait, the reason is, the last person possesed can return" or "After Malthael was destroyed, her soul lingered around" or "You must go to hell and save her soul" it will end up looking, unless you do a superb storytelling job, as an excuse to have the girl back. Because if you can bring her back, there's no reason why you can't bring back Aidan, for example, or Tal Rasha. Or Cain. Or King Justinian, or whoever, you get the point. And saying "But wait, we have to save Leah because she was nice! She was our friend!" is like saying "She's more special than the gazillions who died during the whole war that Diablo 3 was." If you think inside the universe, how can you say that Leah's life is worth more than Thomas (a character in Storm of Light), for example? But there's another reason. There was tragedy in Leah's death, it was cruel of Adria (and Diablo too, but particularly Adria) to use her just like a vessel (although I don't feel Leah was such a multidimentional personality). If you bring her back, you lessen not only the tragedy, but the shock (or however you want to call it) of death itself. We've seen this in the Warcraft universe, which is fine because Warcraft is fantasy, but Diablo is dark fantasy. Fantasy with horror. Thing don't go well for the good guys; if the hero wins, chances are he'll pay with his life. That's good, that's the way it should be, you're fighting demons, after all, you're fighting hell. Reaper of Souls was an excellent, excellent step in this direction, things were gloomy and dark again, doom was certainly in the air. If you bring the girl back, the mood will get dull again. Because there are no stakes. She can be brought back? Oh, okay, then death is no biggie. The ending can be a happy rainbow where we can all slide in hands with Aidan and Blood Raven and everyone else who died. And every character in the future who dies, will make you think "Why can't we resurrect that guy too?" More importantly, if the Nephalem dies, why can't he (maybe the biggest hero of Sanctuary's history) be resurrected? Leah can but the Nephalem can't? You know what they say in comics, right? "Only Uncle Ben stays dead." Let's not set a precedent in Diablo with this.WhiteZombie16 May 9, 2014
May 7, 2014 Was Malthael correct in his goals? Would like to hear what you guys have to say. No flaming amongst each other (only reason I say that is because this is a pretty touchy subject and I know people will get mad lol), keep all statements constructive and mature to whatever level you can please.Whirlwind1 May 7, 2014
May 7, 2014 Zoltun Kulle - one vastly misunderstood man. Never posted in here before but I enjoy the story of D3 a lot and I just wanted to point this out. Even though Zoltun Kulle is given the voice of a sadistic demon...his goals really aren't so terrible. He's trying to free man from its involuntary involvement in the never ending war between Heaven and Hell. Yes, I realize that he goes to some considerable lengths, albeit evil in nature, but I really feel like he's not as bad as the other villains in the story. I mean, he almost immediately knows about Leah, "I wonder if your friends know what you truly are." He recognizes Tyrael as the savior of man, and the embodiment of justice, "Whatever else he may be..." He encourages the Nephalem to rise above their petty tasks. He's just not so bad. And as SOON as he makes good on his word (which he COULD have broken as soon as he regained physical form), the Hero kills him... I don't know, I just feel as if he had potential as an ally. Oh, and on a terribly unimportant/insignificant note, the Hunter's Journal Part 3 says that each step was "harder than the next." By that reasoning, he and his comrades should have had no problem getting through the Vault of the Assassin...I mean, if each step is easier and easier.... lol, probably just a goof in story writing. Thanks for reading this, haha.Melkor59 May 7, 2014
May 6, 2014 RoS ending (spoiler) btw, Diablo is free. Again. Seems a bit lacklusterKeltari0 May 6, 2014
May 5, 2014 Tyrael - more powerful as a Mortal? Isn't it widely accepted that Humans have the potential to surpass every other being in terms of power cuz of the power of the Human Spirit and yadi yadi yada? So Tyrael basically traded Angelic powers for the potential for unlimited power. Should that even be allowed?.?BattleBra12 May 5, 2014
May 3, 2014 Hero's becoming so powerful.... That heaven and hell have finally noticed. Diablo 1, your just regular joes who defeated waves of hell and the hero thinks himself strong enough to hold diablo...cool idea and cleaver but never really says much in how everyone got so damn strong, not to mention no one in the realm of heaven or hell seems to care or notice. Diablo 2, your still supposably regular joes again who then continue to defeat waves of hell, and 3 lords of hell. So, you know after playing d2's story when I was young I always thought it funny that the hero's of the game had literally in fact became the strongest people in the world. I thought it even cooler to think they would then become the strongest people and take OVER THE WORLD and FIGHT HEAVEN (Two ideas that are for the next expansion). It's actually crazy to see some of these idea's i thought of actually kinda of happen...i.e going to heaven and the idea that the story is finally realizing that the playable characters really are waaaay to powerful that you'd wonder why no one notices of even cares, but they did, which never happened in both d1 and d2. I know it's different because now the playable characters for diablo 3 are called nephalem but it's still a really sweet moment to have those young idea's coming to life. Hope that made sense.monkeycowman1 May 3, 2014
Apr 30, 2014 Small Lore Error [RoS Spoilers] Hello! There is an error with the lore book "Discovery of Sanctuary: Part 3". The icon used for Diablo is that of his form in D3V; the Leah-hosted body. The icon should depict his base form, example being that which we see in the Wrath animated cinematic. The Diablo quote even mentions that the humans are newly discovered, so he cannot yet have a host, let alone the feminine traits of Leah. Edit: And if I'm not mistaken, Baal is depicted using his Tal-Rasha host. Tal-Rasha did not exist at the time of this quote as Sanctuary was just created / discovered.Crim2 Apr 30, 2014
Apr 30, 2014 Terrible dialogue Dear Blizz, can you please stop having such cringe-worthy, child-oriented themes and dialogue? While I'm in my mid-20s and perhaps that isn't your target audience, but please, sometimes your games come off like old Yugioh episodes... For examples, look at that stupid Magda dialogue in A1 or Diablo "taunting" you in A4. Seriously, listen to each and just roll your eyes. On a side note, what is with this focus in your games were the PC is pretty much a walking god? I mean, in D2 and old WoW you were but a person in a larger world. However, nowadays you may as well be called Arnold, have an M4 with M203 and ALL of the "bad guys" turn into no-name extras... So: Childish dialogues - check. Ridiculous focus only on the player character like they are some god among men - check. (Just look at how badass Tyreal was in D2 and now he - like all other characters - are just worthless). So please, can we have games where the dialogue/environment matches the rating? Kkthx.Lagrangian3 Apr 30, 2014
Apr 30, 2014 So angels and demons have sex and produce us? us = Nephalems, i mean. Seems kinda nasty...pandas16 Apr 30, 2014
Apr 29, 2014 Someones long lost daughter... So, to explain things; I had an idea for the game a while ago.. It was for combining 2 items of the same type together to get shared stats from each item.. I dubbed it 'Fusing', but I doubt I make a thread for it.. Anyway, I even concocted a very short story to go along with how it could be introduced and could even be carried further for more lore... *Please note; This is just 'fan-fiction' ... I stopped after I realized I wasn't going to post the idea in the forums since I didn't think it would lead anywhere.. But it did make for an interesting short story, so I decided to not let that go to waste. If I had kept going it would have probably gone in the direction of her finding out her real father had been murdered by protecting the very thing that had made her travel to this area. And of course there are numerous other routes you could go with the story.. I hope you enjoy or enjoyed the story... If you did, sorry it wasn't longer! If you didn't, sorry it was so long!EvilDread0 Apr 29, 2014
Apr 28, 2014 Jamella and Halbu (Spoilers) If you are a big Diablo 2 fan of Jamella and Halbu like me and wanted to know what happened to the pair.... I am sad to inform you that I have found the Ghost of Jamella and Halbu quest in Pandemonium Fortress Level 1. They were killed my Maltheal when he took over the fortress. For specifics, I recommend finding the quest and read what they have to say. RIPDierdrea2 Apr 28, 2014
Apr 28, 2014 What do you think Baal really looks like? From Diablo possessing Albrecht and Leah we can see their physical form tends to adopt traits, albeit subtly, from the host... Enough to at least cause recognizable differences. So that makes me wonder... We have a Tal Rasha version of Baal on D2, which I feel gave Baal a more humanoid face and a dignified manner, but what would a more neutral look for him be?CapnMuffin7 Apr 28, 2014
Apr 27, 2014 Had a weird dream Stay with me on this as it may get a little... odd. But I had a dream about the next expansion and for some reason it was about some sort of 'parallel dimension' that the Nephalem travels to and helps those folks out. And in this 'dimension,' or alternate reality (or whatever), the angels are bound to evil while the demons are good. I imagined Tyrael to be an aspect of corruption or injustice, while Diablo would be an embodiment of joy or happiness. In this case there could be a 'white soulstone' where Zoltan Kulle was the only Horadrim who was not corrupted, when attempting to stop this 'evil' Angiris Council from doing something sinister. That was the majority of my dream; however, I do find this to be a potentially awesome idea. Adria could be good and Cain could have been evil... maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.Tassadar1 Apr 27, 2014
Apr 27, 2014 *SPOILER* Discussion of RoS ending So Diablo has been freed, due to Malthaeal absorbing the Black Soulstone to try and end the Nephalem, and when he died, unleashed Diablo. Now, is it regular, beefy Diablo or Prime Evil Diablo? What do you guys think the next expansion will be about? Even Tyrael begins to fear the Nephalem.BigParde21 Apr 27, 2014
Apr 26, 2014 So, what changed in Sanctuary after RoS end? So, in general terms, in Diablo 3 all big demons are put together in a black stone (I still don't understand how putting the most dangerous beings together in a stone is a intelligent idea), and then Diablo is reborn more powerful and badass than ever (and with b00bs). Then, in RoS, an angel decides to kill all humans, and when we fight him, he decides to absorb all demons that are in the black soulstone. So when he dies, someones says "oh, but now Diablo (and I suppose the other demons) are free again", so....are we in a worse situation than at the beginning of D3?Kalsten4 Apr 26, 2014
Apr 26, 2014 If Prime Evil bested angels If evils unite themselves to be the Prime Evil which bested angels, why can't angeris council form to be Prime Angel to match up with the evils? Like Pure Evil vs Pure Light, does not need a nephalem to finish the job. Sorry, English is not my primary language, please forget about my grammar mistake. =)Ivangoh2 Apr 26, 2014
Apr 26, 2014 The Dirgest's Gem. What's the full story? I'm interested in the story of the Dirgest's Gem that Shen is seeking, and I was curious if anyone knew any more about it. PS: I would love to go after the Dirgest in an expansion or something.CulixCupric12 Apr 26, 2014
Apr 24, 2014 how the heck do soulstones work? I'm confused as to what soulstones do. So originally the prime evils went around causing evils and stuffs without the need for soulstones. then one day the horadrim trapped them in soulstones. when diablo and mephisto's soulstones were destroyed at the hellforge, it was said that they died, baal said "my brothers would not have died in vain" so why didnt the horadrim just destroy the soulstones in the first place?? Baal's soul stone was stabbed into TalRasha, Marius took it out, that freed Baal, but for some reason baal needed the soulstone back, why? It seemed like the prime evils needed the soulstones to manifest themselves but originally they didnt, whys this? When the dark wanderer stabbed diablo's soulstone into his head, he turned into diablo while keeping the soulstone there, why does Baal need marius to remove the soulstone from his body, then get it back from him??? Catwomán15 Apr 24, 2014
Apr 22, 2014 Tower of The Damned/Act III [Spoilerish?} WONDERING: Within the area, WHAT are those titanic figures? Is there any lore on them in game that I missed? Why are they imprisoned? Those would make some GNARLY bosses for an expansion.Mijuu25 Apr 22, 2014
Apr 22, 2014 Diablo in Diablo III - The prime evil? I'm not sure if this is a gameplay or a lore topic. It's probably both. When I first played Diablo III and Diablo became the prime evil I thought "Oh sh..". But when I fought him he was just .. Diablo. He did the same tricks he did in Diablo 2 as regular Diablo. I expected him to combine the powers of his siblings. I expected a Diablo with frost aura, poison bullets and ice shards, ring of fire, "beam of death" etc. Have the developers been lazy or is there a good explanation why Diablo only uses his own powers as the prime evil?Cjreek2 Apr 22, 2014
Apr 21, 2014 Comparing the diablo's Kind of a tone shift over the years, no? http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p358/bob493/comparison_zps0cf41969.pngLinuxpenguin0 Apr 21, 2014
Apr 20, 2014 Diablo's defeat was part of his plan. Everything that has happened was part of his plan. Allowing his lesser brothers to win so the prime evils can be banished. Getting Aiden to stick the soul stone in his own head as well as some other powerful beings to try to contain mephisto and baal. The destruction of the soul stones. The black soul stone so he could merge with his brothers and even his defeat in the high heavens in diablo 3. Diablo is a better liar than Belial. Before marching into the high heavens he tells Adria to go until he calls on her. Why would he call upon her? A human if he ultimately thought he was going to win the entire conflict right there and then? He didn't. Case in point.. Diablo is defeated. We meet Adria and what do we learn? Diablo sent her a vision that we were going to free him. A vision that came true. Diablo was communicating through her from the black soul stone. He has the ability to foresee the future at this point which meant that he likely knew he'd lose. He knew malthael would get the stone and he knew he would be defeated. Malthael destroys the stone but something happens.. the pieces begin to fuse with his being. Diablo gets free.. how does this effect diablo? Did he gain some of the essence of malthael? What makes the nephalem so powerful is they're a mix of both demon and angel if Diablo gained angelic essence while containing the power of his brothers.. Further something about this seems fishy. Look at the front of the box and look at malthael's silhouette. Notice the position of his scythes. The way his body is shaped. It's artistically cool that they made it to be similar in the silhouette of diablo. Is this on purpose? What if the moment Malthael touched the black soul stone diablo began spreading some of his influence and began guiding Malthael and twisting his own desires to his purpose? This is just some speculation on my part. Feel free to add or disagree but I think it's interesting. I think Diablo's end game hasn't happened yet and his plan is still in progress. Diablo has always been content to lose battles so he can eventually win the war.Reslin11 Apr 20, 2014
Apr 19, 2014 Rate The Story Thus Far Tell blizz what you thought of the story in D3 so far. I'd give: 3/10 Too predictable and cliche. Starcraft and Warcraft had way way way better story lines and plot twists. And no, the story in sc2 is also a big let down.Schizer15 Apr 19, 2014
Apr 18, 2014 <removed> <removed>Slisk0 Apr 18, 2014
Apr 17, 2014 Angels, Daemons and gender... So, to my understanding... the angels (particularly archangels) and daemons (particularly the lesser and prime evils) are simply each a representation of a concept belonging to Anu. After Anu splits the evils from himself in the form of Tathamet, and they both destroy each other, they are then "broken down" further into individual concepts. Tyrael for Justice, Imperius for Valor, Diablo for Terror, Mephisto for Hatred etc. Since they are just the representation of a particular concept, why do they have to be gender identified? Admittedly a lot of the daemons and evils do a good job of appearing quite androgynous (largely due to the fact that they have non-humanoid forms, like Baal for example) and we can see from Diablo that he can take a male or female form as he chooses. But certainly the archangels all seem to identify as specific genders, even though they don't actually need to breed, they're born from the crystal arch. So... what's up with that? I in no way want to cause any kind of rant about sexism or anything like that, it's not my intention here. It just doesn't make sense to me that divine beings with no need or motivation to procreate should have any form of identifiable gender.Almightygir6 Apr 17, 2014
Apr 17, 2014 Short story on Imperius/expansion. As the heros weapon pierced through Mehpstio's heart.... Mepisto whisperd.... "You will be mine... in time...." How many times has this been now? Tyreal thought. The fifth seige on sanctuary the hero had faced, and stopped? Tyreal could not remember for he too was tired. Without the soulstone to trap the prime evils. The prime evils had been relentless in their assault on sanctuary. Sanctuary had turned into the feilds of eternity thought Tyreal grimily. "LONG LIVE THE NEPHALEM, LONG LIVE THE HERO" the remaining warriors cheered as Mephistos ashen corpse was scatted by the wind. Joy and laughter would surely follow thought Tyreal, as they had just stopped the fifth invasion of the burning hells. There is a cause to celebrate. "You have done well hero, tonight we shall celebrate in your name!" Said Tyreal, as he looked into the heros eyes. Tyreal was taken back at what he saw. For it was not joy he saw or relief of the battles end...but hatred. Hatred burned in the heros eye. "CELEBRATE? FOR WHAT! WITH WHO?! Who's left? TELL ME TYREAL? Kormac, Eirena...EVEN LYDON! They have all gave their life's fighting. WHOS LEFT TYREAL TELL ME WHO IS LEFT FOR ME TO PROTECT? The warriors? Who in time will surely die? EVEN YOU are not safe from this endless war. It only took the burning hell's 10 years to lay waste to our land, we grow ever smaller in number Tyreal.... what should happen if I too die in battle? When will the angels help us? Are they to watch us get slaughtered? Angels and humans alike hate the demons, yet the angels wont help. We have proven our worth countless times slaying the prime evils." The hero paused... if taken back by his ourburst of anger. He added in a softer tone, with a look of exhaustion on his face "They cant be beaten Tyreal... there is no cause for celebration. These demons can only be beat back..never defeated without the angels add." With this he was turned his back and walked into the night. 10 YEARS LATER~~~ Tyreal held onto the hero's hand as the hero moaned in pain combating Mephisto's corruption. Who knew that all those years of combating the demons would have weakened the heros mind and soul to this extent. For the hero to fall so easily into his/her own hatred of the demons, the hero had stepped into Mephisto's domain. And now withers at mercy to the Lord of Hatred. As the corruption of Mephisto sweep-ted through the hero, Tyreal knew the hero was not gonna win this battle. This was the battle that would fell the champion of sanctuary. "Had this been the primes evil's plan all along?" Tyreal thought. To corrupt the hero through his countless battles? The hero has sacrificed his whole life battling demons. With no one to help him. The hero was the only reason that sanctuary had not fallen into the hands of Diablo and his brothers. The hero was a living avatar of all the best traits the angels had, the hero was wisdom, hope, justice and valor and the hero alone decided the fate of sanctuary. Tyreal couldnt help think, if the angels.... if the high heaven itself could have done as much for "good" as the Hero. Dark thoughts clouded Tyreals mind, he began hating both himself for not being stronger, and his brothers for not helping the Nephalem. All those years battling the demons, if only Heaven sent help... things would have changed. "NO" Tyreal thought as he shrugged his dark thoughts. If he allowed himself to give into hate, he too would be claimed by Mephisto. Tyreal gripped eldriun tightly, he would not allow the hero of sanctuary to become corrupted and turn into a minion of the burning hells. No Tyreal would end the hero's life now, while he was still a human. Tyreal raised eldruin as the hero nodded and whispered "..Iam sorry...sorry for leaving before you..." A tear rolled down Tyreals face.... it was his first tear... his first pain of feeling the lonelyness of sanctuary. He did not shed a tear whenLlyndon or Kormac died...not even for Eirena. Tyreal swung eldruin meaning to give the hero a swift death, but a blaze of yellow light appeared. Eldruin was knocked out of Tyreals hand. "Demons?!" thought Tyreal. "Have they came to protect the corrupted hero?" As the yellow light faded, a silhouette appeared. Wings... Angelic ones, bright gold like the dawn. "..Imperius" Whisperd Tyreal. "Why now,? Of all times? Had he come to land the killing blow for himself?" thought Tyreal.LoveMyEmo2 Apr 17, 2014
Apr 17, 2014 Favorite class story? Not just your personal character (though few are as fleshed out individually as, say, the female wizard), but their total overall lore, including origin and culture. Originally it was the barbarian for me, as their story actually continued from D2, becoming far less proud and more fatalistic. Now I think it's the crusader; they're a strong, noble group that cannot be corrupted and have powerful cultural links, ensuring the continued propagation of the whole, but never neglecting how important the individual is.hexR1 Apr 17, 2014
Apr 17, 2014 Act VI: Let's see your ideas~! *spoilers* Good evening, So after finishing Reaper of Souls, it is safe to say that the epic journey of the Nephalem will continue. That there will be an Act VI. I would like to know what everyone thinks about the next place we are going to. For example, I think we could go to Kurast, where we met Mephisto in Diablo 2. It is also very close to Witch Doctor's homeland (s/he is Umbaru tribe, and these people live in Kurast jungles). Since we have visited Demon Hunter & Crusader's motherland (Westmarch) I believe it logical that in the next chapter we go to another class' hometown. What do you think? Please reply telling us WHERE do you think Act VI would take place in and WHAT the Nephalem will do there. Veloric8 Apr 17, 2014
Apr 17, 2014 The real reason the Nephalem is so strong This is a super duper serious post. Have you ever wondered why the player character is a "Nephalem" and is so strong relative to everyone/everything else? It's easy. It's cause the Nephalem is a first generation Nephalem - the son/daughter of an angel and a demon. But not just any angel and demon. No, then you'd only be super strong. To be super duper strong your parents need to be the STRONGEST demon and the STRONGEST angel. That's right, your parents are Imperius and Diablo. EVIDENCE: Exhibit A: Diablo is a girl now. Exhibit B: Leah. Now where I have heard that name before? Oh right. Princess Leia. That's right, it's just like Star Wars. Leah is your sister. It was right in front of us the whole time. Next expansion will end with Imperius throwing Diablo into the core of the Death Star. At least you never made out with her. Exhibit C: Imperius sure was pissed about the Nephalem going to kill Diablo wasn't he? And he sure was still pissed even after you defeated Diablo. And he helps you kill Malthael, which ends up freeing Diablo. Why? It's cause Diablo is his Waifu. 100% airtight confirmed. Please discuss this 100% true and completely serious theory below.Drinniol8 Apr 17, 2014
Apr 17, 2014 Diablo 3 Story Rewritten There's a lot of dissatisfaction from the fandom about Diablo 3's story, including the recently launched Reaper of Souls expansion. As a fan of the Diablo lore, it was a bit of a letdown for me as well. So instead of complaining about every little detail that went wrong, I decided to just rewrite the story in my own version. Some of the things I focused on fixing include: better death for Cain, better mortalization of Tyreal, better character development for Leah, more competent Lords of Hell and Arch Angels, story that flows better from D2LoD, and consistent progression rather than becoming stale. This is my version of the story: a fan-fiction about how D3's story should have been told. For those who'd care to read it, enjoy. :) Diablo 3 Opening Cinematic *Sketch Animation* Proper introduction of the world followed by a very brief recap of the lore. Decard Cain narrates. "Sanctuary... The world of man. A safe haven hidden from the eternally raging war.. between the angels of the High Heavens and the demons of the Burning Hells. But our fate was forever changed when the three Lords of Hell, Mephisto, Baal, and Diablo, entered into our world... With the help of the Arch Angel of Justice, Tyreal, a valiant group of heroes emerged and slayed the Prime Evils! But the Worldstone that kept our world safe had already been corrupted... To save humanity from this corruption, Tyreal was forced to destroy it... Now, with the Worldstone gone, the forces of evil are on the move... The end days.. are upon us all...!" Cue epic music. *CG animation* All different kinds of demons are emerging from the beneath the earth in epic manner. Then comes Azmodan with all his fat and glory. "The time has come for the Burning Hells to consume this world! I, Azmodan, shall rule all!!!" His menacing laugh fades into the thunderous chorus of demon roars, followed by the game's title: Diablo III.BlizzGamer10 Apr 17, 2014
Apr 16, 2014 Little legal help I have been playing this game for awhile and I love the rich lore of this game and I though it would be fun to make a bestiary in the same format of like on old lost journal that the late Cain would carry around. I want to share it when I had finished but then I realized that I could be making the gods at blizzard turn there furious wrath upon me, I have already written and illustrated some pages based on my in-game experiences and would very much like to finish it but not if it's going to cause problems. pretty much anyone know if this could cause a ruckus even though I wouldn't even be selling it but just sharing it using the Diablo world as a base?ZenTempest3 Apr 16, 2014
Apr 16, 2014 Silver Spire and Crystal Arch questions Greetings, I'm fairly confused about these 2 structures in Heaven, and I was wondering whether someone could enlighten me. First, let's talk about the lore behind the Arch. It's supposed to be the spine of Anu. Can someone tell me how the Arch (pictured at the top of this image: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Crystal_Arch?file=SilverSpire.png) resembles a human spine? Anu, by all accounts, was humanoid (here's a picture of him: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Anu?file=Anu.jpg), but a human vertebral column in no way resembles 2 tall prongs in close proximity like that. Even if the Arch were just a single vertebra, the bony processes from each vertebra are spaced apart at diverging angles. So either Anu had radically differing anatomy from a human in his spine, or whoever decided that the Arch was once a spine isn't too versed in human anatomy (Cain...). Secondly, let's talk about the Spire itself, pictured here: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Silver_Spire?file=Silver_Spire.jpg. It is composed of 2 towers that converge at the top, above which is the Crystal Arch. I'm assuming the Great Span connects these towers at some point along their height. Now in-game, we enter the Spire, fight through Spire 1, cross the Great Span, enter Spire 2, and from there teleport into the Pinnacle of Heaven, where we gain access to the Arch. The maps for both Spire levels are mostly flat, suggesting we teleported into one level of one tower and stayed at that height, which in turn implies that Spire 1 is one tower and Spire 2 is another (rather than Spire 2 being the floor above Spire 1). Why would whatever angelic architect design the Spire such that only one tower connects to the ground floor and the other tower connects to the top? It seems like a strange architectural decision to me. I played around with the idea that we wanted to cleanse both towers, but that doesn't make sense because 1. Diablo is corrupting the Arch, and our goal is to get up there ASAP. We should be taking the most efficient route up there, because if we kill Diablo, we can easily walk back down and kill all his minions. There's no reason to clear both towers before getting to the top unless the floor layout forced us to. 2. The Spire is the tallest tower in Heaven, yet we only see one floor of both towers, implying we only cleared one level. What about all the other levels that are presumably also infested with demons? Let's talk about Imperius and his angelic army. Imperius can fly. Angels can fly. As such, when we first meet him at the beginning of the act and he flies away, shouldn't he have just flown to the top of the Arch, maybe grabbing as many angels along the way as he could? We (and Diablo), on the other hand, need to walk up there, meaning Imperius should've gotten to the Arch way the hell before Diablo did. Diablo can't fly. Why did he get there ostenslbly mere minutes before we did and after Diablo did? Finally, the platform that we fight Diablo on has 2 prong things coming up from it, which if I'm not mistaken are the two prongs in the Arch picture I linked above. But all pictures of the Arch do not show a platform at the apex, so where did the platform come from? Thanks for reading.Benamin5 Apr 16, 2014
Apr 15, 2014 Adria in RoS: could have been so much better SPOILERS It was such a cool thing that you were going to face Adria in act 5 - the thought of avenging Leah and the betrayal of all by Adria was such a cool idea, along with an exchange of words before it took place. So the expectation of the encounter: a verbal exchange about her betrayal, including talking about Leah and how she got her killed and then fighting her in human form at least to some degree. But there was no such exchange or even HINT about her betrayal, but it was nothing except talk about act 5 storyline. VERY disappointing. But secondly, it would have been cool to fight her in human form for a bit since she did display powers in that form. Then when she's losing she throws herself into the pool to transform and renew the fight. Instead she immediately transforms and it lessens the sense that you're even fighting her anymore at all. Not sure what pointing this out will accomplish as you can't really change the story now. Just had to put it out there.Reason5 Apr 15, 2014
Apr 15, 2014 Vyr - Great and Powerful Wizard Does anyone have any background information on who Vyr was, I did not find anything on him in wikis or searching through forum posts. The only things I found about him are the info from the Nagelring and the new Wiz set. Cheers!Pensz0 Apr 15, 2014
Apr 15, 2014 Blood Shards (Here Be Spoilers) Ok, so I haven't seen Blood Shards discussed yet in the lore forum (and perhaps I'm just overlooking a post), however I'm pretty certain I cannot be the only person who has made a connection between these eerie red pebbles and the shattered Black Soulstone. I mean, really? Lorath and Tyrael are both unsure what these things are. No one else has ever seen them before. They have no apparent use aside giving them over to Kadalah (who appears out of absolutely nowhere). And they look a bit like glowing red flecks of stone. Now I don't pretend to know who Kadalah really is (and I would like to continue pretending Gheed could never procreate), or what her ultimate purpose is... However I am willing to risk my Stash on a useful Mystic roll that these bits of rock we are collecting are actually shards of the Black Soulstone. Which begs the question, where is Diablo and would there be a reason for him to collect the shattered pieces of his former prison? Perhaps the remnants of the stone hold power? Perhaps he needs them to be whole again? Perhaps he is making a pretty collage to intimidate the Nephalem with? I think we'll see in the coming expansion that collecting and handing over so many pieces of the stone was a really bad idea. And to make matters worse, the players did it for several metric tons of "overpriced junk". [Tinfoil hat posting area, be warned] Unless of course (and I'm just covering my bases here), the developers reintroduced Leah, used this collection as a way to explain how she rebuilt the stone (somehow), and then for reasons I am sure are quite amusing, decided to just obliterate Heaven and Hell. Because why not? At this point in the story, very few people on Sanctuary would miss either. There you go, fate is shattered because only mortals are left and they can decide their own destiny.Kveer4 Apr 15, 2014
Apr 14, 2014 bARTUC THE bLOODY Commanded his own hordes of demons. His armor makes you lust for blood and control its a great book and since it's in the lore why doesnt bartuc have some armor sets? An assassin claw?GalaxyEater10 Apr 14, 2014