Movies, Books, and TV

May 12, 2014 As a New Superhero in the Big Leagues: Trust me, the whole elaborate costume and going to the bathroom thing sucks. I guarantee, when you see a hero flying across downtown, or hurling cars at some bank robbers, or ripping a hole in the time/space continuum to disrupt a villain, there is a 90 percent chance that they are doing so while carrying a ten inch plus log around with them, because they just have not had the chance to engage in the elaborate ritual of removing all or part of the costume to drop a deuce... they are all stacked and packed. Unflattering I know, but hey, this is the truth. I don't care how gorgeous you find some of the female heroes with their ultra elaborate costumes and their ethereal gazes, I just know for a fact that they are constantly letting out these little toots and holding back a veritable log jam because it would take them a good forty minutes to get everything off, handle their business, then put everything back on. To be fair, it does not take twenty minutes for all heroes to take off their gear, or at least the parts of the outfit related to what we are talking about here; it all depends on the style of course. The worst offenders always start with the full body, absolutely skin tight unitard; if you see one of those on a hero,then you just know that they are having gastrointestinal issues. Those single piece, full body wraps are killers, I mean, they are so form fitting that you can see the entire muscular definition, right down to the six-pack abs...the hero is wrapped like a sausage casing. There are no two ways about it, if your in the sausage casing based outfit, you are going to have to peel that entire thing off before you can sit on the pot. To make it worse, chances are a hero is going to have way more going on than just the skin tight sausage casing, that is just the foundation of a typical outfit. There can be up to twenty accessories that have to be removed first before you even get to peeling off the unitard. There could be shoulder pads, jet packs, multiple utility belts, elaborate three piece glove/gauntlet combo packs, you name it. My hypothesis is that some of the women heroes may have learned early on that it is easier to go for the sassy bikini based bottom with the thigh high boots for utilitarian purposes only. It seems that management will not really except all female heroes going the shorts and boots rout, I guess because then it starts looking like a theme or uniform and not the "individualistic, yet working together" atmosphere they promote. Only the veteran female heroes who figured this out quickly had their thongs and boots grandfathered in because their look was already established; all the newbs' outfits start with a colored sausage casing as a base then diversify from there. I think the male super heroes have it the worst. Tight buns shorts and boots are just not happening for whatever reason. The only exception seems to be that one guy who can talk to fish and rides the nuclear powered jet ski--he doesn't get called upon that much unless it is a special water based operation--but he gets to wear shorts all of the time and life is good; heck, if he needs to relieve himself, even a number two, he probably just lets it go in the water while pretending to check out his ski's "right rear turbo thruster". His easy access to his own !@# is enviable. The other day was absolutely embarrassing. We were battling this team of villains right in downtown with probably 500 people looking on from behind police lines. Things were going great and we really had the bad guys on the ropes. Then this one new guy, who is your standard super strength type, s**t his pants while he was ripping out a telephone pole to use as a baseball bat. For reasons I will never understand, he went with an all white sausage casing outfit with only his boots, gloves and belt being ultra stylized... bad choice. He pulled the telephone poll out of the ground like a real champ, but in that moment of exertion he had a blow out, and his a** and all down one leg went brown. He had to finish the fight like that, there are no "time outs". This is what happens when heroes can not easily take care of their business, they just keep putting it off all day long, hoping to deal with it when its time to undress for the day. My outfit of the year award goes to this one villain named "Shotgun Pappy", he is just ridiculous and actually kind of awesome. His super power is his absolutely uncanny ability to utilize his pair of sawed off shotguns. I have seen a few "gunnys" as we call anyone who specializes in firearms, but Shotgun Pappy is unique in his style. He wears an old school, one piece. red long underwear complete with the buttoned poop flap thing in the butt and a pair of dusty boots that are not even laced up good. He is straight up out of one of those old western movies where the guy with the scraggly beard and long underwear comes out onto the front porch and starts blasting. He has total style as well as an excuse to have easy access to his a**. All other gunnys I have seen, be it hero or villain, go for the macho soldier look of some kind and again have to deal with taking off tons of stuff to take a crap. I kick $%^, and no one can say that my ability to cook anything within 50 feet of me like an insane microwave oven is run of the mill, so I feel I have the right to change my outfit to something more conducive to taking a leak whenever I feel like it. I am going to march on down to engineering and demand that they redesign my outfit immediately. I don't care that I have had this same look since I joined the team over two years ago and the media is used to it, they are just going to have to get over it. If they give me any -*!@ about it, then I am going to rebel and insist that I be the first male hero to wear short shorts and knee high combat boots and they can just deal with it. WeaponWorld0 May 12, 2014
May 12, 2014 Future Blizzard books we'd like to see Personally, I'd love to see a novel about Zoltan Kulle. I thought he was one of the more interesting characters in D3 and I think his backstory would make a great novel. I loved Arthas: Rise of the Lich King and I think a similar thing could be done for Kulle. Make Kulle the central character and show his fall from a powerful Horadrim to the mad mage he is now. Could even end with his death (I think he'd probably have laughed to the last breath, knowing that someday he'll be back). Speaking of Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, bring Christie Golden back for a Kulle novel. I really like her other work and she's already shown she can do a villain-centred novel with Arthas.HauntedFrog0 May 12, 2014
May 12, 2014 10 *Amazing* Comics Waiting For Ladder :) Courtesy of me :) Have finally been ripping through my backlog of awesome comics and also revisiting some old gems and so here are my pick of the litter. Oh yes, and feel free to add your own suggestions! I'd personally love to find some gem that I haven't as of yet read to fill some time. Rules: - No Manga. Okay, except for one (explanation follows) - The series must have either completed or broken 100+ issues. Nobody likes to get into something and then have it not go anywhere. - These are mostly for mature audiences only. And trust me, at least half of these *will* scar you if you are not ready for them. So, in ascending order of awesomeness. 10) Green Lantern (DC). Rebirth through Blackest Night. Yes, this overlaps a little with another comic I've mentioned here, but in my opinion it deserves to be on this list. The Green Lantern was never one of my favourite heroes until I got into the continuity a few years ago. Despite the crappy movie, it's easily DCs strongest overall recent single comic aside from Batman which is likely why nearly all their big crossover events for a long time were Lantern Based. Not going to go into too much detail here since there is a *lot* of ground to cover, but everything from the return of Hal Jordan in Rebirth, through the Sinestro Corps, War of Light and Blackest Night was solid damn gold and absolutely needs to be read. 9) Civil War (Marvel). Have never been a Marvel fan but this got me into them at last. A brilliantly told crossover involving essentially the entire Marvel universe regarding legislation that forces all superpowered individuals to make their identities known to and be employed by the government. It was really good, really topical reading even now and for fans of the Marvel movies who never really got into the books, it's easily the best place to start. 8) Hitman (Garth Ennis) No, it has no connection to the bald headed videogame character. Probably the least known major Ellis series, which is a pity. While not quite as brilliant as his other stuff (which is like saying 'this prime steak is not quite as delicious as a prime steak with cheese served by a supermodel') it's still a fantastic read. Loosely connected to the DC Universe, it's essentially a story about a mildly superpowered good-at-heart Hitman and his eventual evolution into a semi hero. It's both extremely funny, very touching and pitch black at times and has easily the single funniest supporting character ever to grace a comic book. 7) Punisher MAX (Various). Oh yes. If you saw and enjoyed Punisher: War Zone...this is the series it is very loosely based on. Not all that much to say since the Punisher is a fairly well known character, but this vision of him is the darkest and absolute best yet. The series ran for about 80 issues and ended really well. At least two of the arcs could well be the most movie ready Marvel material yet unseen. 6) Hellblazer (Various). Forget the horrible, horrible Constantine movie. This fantastic saga has some of the best writers and artists in the business, and follows the life, ascension, decline, redemption and struggles of John Constantine, a scam artist and general rogue who, due to his natural skill with demonology and the occult, constantly finds himself drawn into dangerous situations, often with horrible consequences for himself and his friends. It's pretty grim stuff, but well worth reading and is probably the best long-running semi independent book on here. 5) The Walking Dead. Yes, the TV show is okay. But the book that inspired it is far, far, far better. This is the best Zombie Apocalypse story ever told and is still ongoing. If you are a fan of the series or of Dawn of the Dead style zombie movies, read this. Again absolutely not for the squeamish. 4) Transmetropolitan (Warren Ellis). A brilliant story about a counterculture Journalist working in a cyberpunk future, mostly revolving around his quest to bring down first one, then another president. It's part Fight Club, part Blade Runner and part insanely original freaking awesomeness. Very hard series to summarize, but easily one of the best comics ever written. Where to get? The sixty odd issues can be found fairly easily in 10 Volumes. 3) Berserk (Kentaro Miura). Okay, yes. It's a manga. Yes, it's actually pretty hard to find the full series outside of Japan and even harder to find a legal English translation anywhere. But for anyone who likes Diablo, this may be one of the best things you've ever read. Forget the movies and the terrible series - this is *the* gothic fantasy story. Still ongoing. Where to get? Good luck on this one. You can read it online, but I'm never sure exactly how legal that is. Still - if you can, highly recommended. 2) Preacher (Garth Ennis). Yeah. No real explanation needed. If you haven't read this gem, remedy this as soon as possible. Where to get? Like a lot of the comics on this list, you can get the Collected Editions from various online stores. Be warned - I've never met someone who hasn't been at least changed somewhat by reading this. Or at least scarred. 1) The Boys (Garth Ennis). Wait...something on the list above Preacher? Sacriledge! Only...not really. This recently finished and the 80 odd issue run of this absolutely insane, incredibly disturbing and genuinely touching story may be the single best thing I've read in the graphic novel medium. It essentially revolves Hughie, a 30-something Scotsman who's fiance is horribly killed by a superhero. He is recruited by the Boys, a small group of vigilantes who work in the shadows to keep superheroes inline and eventually to prevent their takeover of Earth. The entire thing takes place in a pretty brilliant parody/merger of Marvel/DC universes and serves amazingly well as a gigantic deconstruction of the entire genre. On top of this it's main characters and the conflicts that develop between them are easily on par with Preacher, alongside easily the best written and most believable romance I think I've read in any format, ever. Again, like all of Ennis's stuff - this is absolutely going to scar you. Very, very, very dark stuff ahead. Where to get? Easy to find Collected Editions. So...thoughts? Anything I left off the list?Starbird10 May 12, 2014
May 5, 2014 Where To Find Upcoming books of Diablo 3 Hi, I read Storm of Light, quite an amazing story. I usually read World of Warcraft story line, and I know of a website that lists the up coming book releases of the story line. I want to know whether there is a website like for wow where I can see the titles of the up coming diablo 3 books releases beyond Storm of Light? Thanks.GGGGInfinite1 May 5, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 Storm of Light and reading order Hi all. I've recently decided to get into the Diablo novels, starting off with the Sin War series. Coincidentally I discovered that the Storm of Light had just been released. What really entices me about this book is that I really like Diablo 3 and its lore, and I'm looking forward to RoS a lot. This book sounds like the perfect thing to read before RoS comes out. However, I'm afraid that my experience with the book might not be the best if I haven't read the rest of the novels, or that reading this book now will make it a bit less ideal to read the rest of the books afterwards. What I wish to know is to what extent reading Storm of Light now will affect the continuity of reading through the rest of novels chronologically. If the story is somewhat concentrated around the events of Diablo 3 and RoS, without really benefiting of having read preceding novels, then I'd definitely want to jump on that now. I'd love to hear some input from the novel veterans in here. :)skauert6 Apr 11, 2014
Mar 24, 2014 Novels feat angels and demons? Hi, Can anyone recommend a good dark fantasy novel, featuring angels and demons? Much obliged.Solidpontus7 Mar 24, 2014
Mar 11, 2014 Diablo Books (Mississauga Ontario) Hi all, I'm looking to give away my copies of Diablo books. I live in Mississauga, Ontario and these would be free for someone to pick up. They're great books and I want to pass them on to another Diablo fan to get joy out of them. Contact me if you want to arrange a way to get them. Moon of the Spider The Kingdom of Shadow The Black Road Legacy of Blood The Sin War : Birthright The Sin War : The Veiled Prophet The Sin War : Scales of the Serpent Cheers, Danny dannyDOTmatesicATgmailDOTcomJVDAS2 Mar 11, 2014
Mar 8, 2014 Funny ebay auctions shared this on the Warcraft forums but maybe its more applicable and interesting to people here. Some guy has listed a Book of Cain and Book of Tyreal that are signed by Deckard and Tyreal, the voice actors anyway. Gave me a good laugh! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Book-of-Tyreal-signed-by-Tyreal-Jonathan-Adams-Epic-Blizzard-Warcraft-/221389271993?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item338bd433b9 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Signed-Limited-Edition-Book-of-Cain-Legendary-Blizzard-Warcraft-/221389270425?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item338bd42d99 Hope someone finds it funny too.Lilmilian0 Mar 8, 2014
Feb 2, 2014 Storm of Light when is the release date for Storm of light? I thought it wasn't until the 4th, but I just got one from the local book store. Only one this store had, and the label on the back has an inventory date of 1/23/14 also, been reading it for a little bit, part way through chapter 4. Awesome story, highly recommend to anyone is in inclined for this sort of thing.Blaten130 Feb 2, 2014
Jan 21, 2014 "Book of Tyrael" delayed?? Bummer, just got an email from Amazon stating that the delivery date for the "Book of Tyrael" has been delayed. Shipping date was October 3rd. From Amazon: We're writing about the order you placed on August 17, 2013 (Order# xxxxxxxx). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date: Tyrael "Diablo III: Book of Tyrael" Estimated arrival date: October 31, 2013metagraphica3 Jan 21, 2014
Jan 21, 2014 A Memory of Light The 13th and final book of the Wheel of Time series is out today!!! I'm ditching work early to go pick it up. Anyone else ready for Tarmon Gai'don?l1br4r14n4 Jan 21, 2014
Dec 16, 2013 Rat Queens Anyone read this yet? Its pretty new with only 3 issues out but pretty good, if your looking for something new check it out.Unknown0 Dec 16, 2013
Nov 7, 2013 Blizzard books should not be ebook only i was searching for Diablo/Blizzard books and found a couple are only on ebooks. specially the upcoming "stay awhile and listen" series, i hope blizzard also release this on physical books. i only currently have the book of cain but the excitement of reading other Diablo lore has led to me to aspire collecting them as long as its Diablo related. hope someone can pass this on to the big guys who decide on this things.metal13693 Nov 7, 2013
Oct 24, 2013 BNet Balance to Purchase - Diablo III Books Could Blizzard work out a way to allow the Bnet Balance we have be able to be used to to buy the D3 books: Diablo III: Book of Tyrael Diablo III: Book of Cain I won't buy these normally, but excess sales on RMAH that have gone to my Bnet Balance instead of Paypal (items that sell for like under $5 here and there)- would be good to buy these books as a semi bonus with that chump change that has built up.. Otherwise the money is only going to sit there waiting for D3 expansions... Any chance..CheehC1 Oct 24, 2013
Oct 7, 2013 "The Arrow Catcher" Recommendation Just finished reading a new book on my kindle and thought I would drop a recommendation here as it looks to be a new author publishing for the first time. I won't say much about the plot in order to not give much away, but the story is set in post-war Japan, and follows an American boy as he grows up in an elite Japanese military academy. I thought it was a really good read. Plenty of martial arts, yakuza, and more. For $3.99 you can't go too wrong in any case. At least worth a look if that sounds like your thing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKDYX46/ref=kinw_myk_ro_titleAntiquarian0 Oct 7, 2013
Oct 1, 2013 Diablo 3 Books Hey guys so I am always in love with everything Blizzard. The stories are always amazing, I always fall in love with characters, I always fall in love with story arcs, and I always create my own stories. Probably though Diablo is one of the blizzard stories that I wanna get into more. I just recently started playing Diablo 3 again (I have actively played D1 and D2 as well) and I want to start reading some books. My questions where: Where should I start? Like what books have lore that I SHOULD/NEED to know that isn't explained in the games very well. Recommended Diablo book authors? (Favorite Warcraft author is Richard Knaak <3) Probably my favorite aspect of Diablo are the aspects of the High Heavens (Valor, Justice, Wisdom, Fate) and the angels, and the aspects/circles of Demons (Lust, Terror, etc). Is there any books that I can start reading that base around those things (Mostly angels and high heaven)? Thank you very much for the help guys :)ReigaK923 Oct 1, 2013
Sep 10, 2013 My Comic Book Men & Jay & Silent Bob videos. I went to the Baltimore Comic Con last weekend where I recorded the entire Comic Book Men panel for you! Here is part 1 of 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=too2BO3aCJg There were some really embarrasing microphone issues at the beginning of the panel. Come on Baltimore Comic Con! Get your act together! I recorded the entire Jay and Silent Bob Get Old podcast/QnA as well and I will be uploading those files tonight.mentok19820 Sep 10, 2013
Sep 5, 2013 Official 52 books in 52 weeks challenge. Our clan is doing a book challenge. If any of you are interested in participating, check it out: http://friendlyfiregaming.net/topic/4837230/1/Ragana7 Sep 5, 2013
Sep 4, 2013 Game of Thrones The books are incredible. and the series is exciting and exillerating! im only starting book 3 right now. anyone have any feed back on books 3+ ??? did you enjoy them? which are your favorites?dcb24 Sep 4, 2013
Aug 19, 2013 Journey to Wudang Series I recently read Kylie Chan's "Journey to Wudang series" (as well as her "Dark Heavens" series) and noticed some Diablo 3 references. 1) There is a small Diablo 3 reference in the second book of the "Journey to Wudang" series where the main character goes to meet the Archivist (who is a big fan of Diablo 2). Of course the Archivist is an elite ghost in Act 2. I'm pretty sure the book came out before the Diablo 3 was launched. 2) I also noticed similarities between Adria and Kitty Kwok. If you have read the series, you probably know what happens to Kitty Kwok and probably can make the same assumptions with Adria the witch. 3) I know many players of Diablo 3 want an expansion character that does both melee and range attacks. My thinking toward this is to have a character that can shape-shift into different animals (like the characters of the Four Winds). For exampe, a character could change into a tiger or snake/ turtle and have melee capabilities or change into a dragon or a phoenix and have range attacks. Anyways, I loved reading these books and I hope everyone gets to read these books as well.Junoreactor0 Aug 19, 2013
Aug 15, 2013 Book of Cain as a Nook book How come this is not available as an e-book? Would look great on a tablet or color e-reader.Vermelhus1 Aug 15, 2013
Aug 15, 2013 Question regarding the book of cain I ordered a copy of the book of cain and it arrived today, i would to ask anyone who has it, does your book have somewhat frayed and uneven pages? I am asking because mine with the exception of the first couple of pages, the rest of the pages are not smooth edged like a normal page was this intentional by the printers of the book to give it some edgy feel? regardsGorrfang1 Aug 15, 2013
Jul 20, 2013 Vince Flynn and Robert B Parker Over the coarse of about a year two of my favorite authors passed away. Both were thriller/suspense novel writers, with Parker having a more light and comical style. I was hoping to get some recommendations of authors with similar genre and style to these guys. Anything would be great. I'm currently reading the Lee Childs Jack Reacher series but after the 11th book i could use some change. thanksHaltemi0 Jul 20, 2013
Jul 11, 2013 My report on the history Blizz Had to do a paper for my business class. I decided to go for the history of Blizzard gaming. This history is not full and does omit some very important events in the companies history. However the information in it is all correct and sourced. If you're interested in the company at all this can give you a little insight, but as I said there is much more than just this. Enjoy or don't. Thanks for reading. (Don't judge me too harshly, I wrote this in 3 1/2 hours :p) “From small business to global giant: Blizzard Entertainment” Blizzard Entertainment is one of the world’s largest and most popular gaming companies. Blizzard did not start that way though. Three friends who attended UCLA turned their passion for playing video games in to a successful worldwide company. Allen Adham, Frank Pearce, and Mike Morhaime attended UCLA together. After graduating and weighing their options, the three decided to found the company Silicon & Synapse in February of 1991. Mike Morhaime borrowed $15,000 from his grandmother. $10,000 went to the company; he would live off the other $5,000 for the next 2 years [2]. The roots of Blizzard Entertainment had started to grow. In the early days of the company the three aspiring programmers had never actually made their own game. As a solution they started off by porting popular games [2]. Porting is the process of making software meant for one device or system work on another, i.e. PC to Mac. The Lost Vikings, released in 1992 was their first published work. Although they were not making games themselves yet, the experience was teaching them the tools necessary to be able to. In 1994 the company made the name change to Blizzard Entertainment, commonly referred to as Blizzard. Shortly after, they released their first title they had developed themselves, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. It was a strategy game released on the PC and allowed users to play head to head online; setting a new standard in Blizzard’s multiplayer gaming. While enjoying their success and after winning many awards for their work on games the previous year the owners made a big decision, to sell the company. Blizzard was sold to Davidson & Associates [3] for $6.75 million [4], an amazing amount for the company at that time. Although Blizzard was sold, all 3 owners would keep working and be left in charge of everything. Morhaime later said the reason they sold was that he could not physically keep track of everything anymore [4]; the company had grown too big. In 1995 Blizzard expanded and bought Condor Inc., changing the name of the company to Blizzard North. The programmers in this division were to be focused on making Blizzard’s next hit, Diablo. Diablo would debut a new system called Battle.net, this service would allow users to connect online to a massive community and play with as many other gamers as they wanted. Diablo would be released in 1996 and be the top selling game in 1997, but the company was going to face more changes. “In 1996, Davidson & Associates was bought in a stock swap valued at approximately $1 billion by a company called CUC International Inc. [3]” In 1997 CUC merged with a company called HFS, ultimately forming the Cendant Corporation, Cendant and Blizzard did not play well together. Cendant dealt primarily with things different from gaming, like hotels, realty, and shopping clubs [3]. This created great creativity and control problems, leading to a number of employees leaving Blizzard to start their own company. Despite the rifts Blizzard kept making games the public enjoyed and the company remained profitable. In 1998 Cendant sold its software companies including Blizzard. After being thrown around between sub divisions it ended up in the Vivendi Games division [3]. This turned out to be very good for Blizzard, not only did it free them of creative restraint but in 2000 Cendant’s CFO plead guilty to several charges of fraud and testified against his boss. Now having freedom Blizzard released Diablo II in 2000. The game was successful beyond what they thought possible. It boasted an intricate new online system for users to play together, and offered servers around the world; not just in America. In 2000 Diablo II was named the fastest selling pc game of all time by Guinness World Records [5]. In December of 2001, Vivendi bought Universal Studios [6]. This moved Blizzard to their new gaming label Vivendi Universal Games. In 2004 Blizzard got ready to release their greatest game ever, World of Warcraft (WoW). The game would be an MMO, (Massive Multiplayer Online) require an internet connection and allow users to gather in servers of up to 100,000 players at once. The anticipation was so great that when Blizzard supplied a local store with 2,500 copies for launch there was a near riot because over 7,000 people showed up, including from other stats, to buy it [7]. WoW quickly took the new record for fastest selling PC game ever, selling 280,000 copies in its first day. Blizzard had made a very wise decision with WoW. Not only did users purchase the retail game but they then paid a monthly subscription fee to play it. Sales records had not only been broken but Blizzard was also collecting $14.99 a month from each of those sales. In 2008 Blizzard would make its most recent major corporate change. It would be in the form of a massive $18 billion merger between Vivendi and powerhouse Activision, resulting in Activision Blizzard. The irony of this deal was that Activision had passed on buying Blizzard back in 1995 for only $7 million [8]. In an interview with the president of Activision he said, “"I was talking to [Blizzard founder] Mike Morhaime the other day and I said, 'You know, I could have bought you for seven million and instead it was seven billion.' [Laughs] He said, 'Yeah, could you imagine if I had just held out for the seven billion instead of the seven million? [9]'” Since their merge Blizzard has continue to come out with numerous popular titles including expansion sets for WoW, StarCraft 2 and most recently Diablo III. They have broken the record for fastest selling game 8 times and the record for most sold PC ever twice. Their most recent records were the fastest selling expansion ever for their WoW expansion this year, and the fastest selling PC game ever with Diablo III selling 6.4 million copies in its opening month back in May. Despites Blizzard success their parent company is having trouble. Vivendi is currently trying to sell %61 of its shares for $8.9 billion [10], they have stated if they do not find buyers soon they will open the stock to the public. Blizzard is a versatile company that has been able to prove one thing time and time again; they can make games that people love. Even in the face of turbulence they find some way to pull through and deliver to the public, this will not be an exception. Sources: [1] Clayman, David. "The History of Blizzard." IGN. IGN, Oct. 2010. Web. 01 Dec. 2012. <http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/10/22/the-history-of-blizzard?page=1>. [2] Blizzard ENT. "Blizzard Entertainment - History Retrospective." Blizzard Entertainment - History Retrospective. YouTube, 08 Mar. 2011. Web. 01 Dec. 2012. [3] "Gale Directory of Company Histories: Blizzard Entertainment." Gale Directory of Company Histories: Blizzard Entertainment. Gale Directory, n.d. Web. <http://www.answers.com/topic/blizzard-entertainment>. [4] "Co-Founder Looks at Chaos in Early Stages and Future Challenges." Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, 13 Mar. 1994. Web. 02 Dec. 2012. <http://articles.latimes.com/1994-03-13/business/fi-33584_1_video-game-development>. [5] "Diablo 2." The 100 Greatest Games Of All Time. Empire Online, n.d. Web. 3 Dec. 2012. <http://www.empireonline.com/100greatestgames/default.asp?p=72>. [6] Blizzard Entertainment - History Retrospective. Blizzard ENT, n.d. Web. 3 Dec. 2012. <http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/b20/timeline.html>. [7] Andrews, Scott. WoW Archivist: Vanilla WoW's Launch Event Was out of Control. Joystiq, 2012. Web. <http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/09/21/wow-archivist-vanilla-wows-launch-event-was-out-of-control/>. [8] McElroy, Griffin. "Activision and Blizzard Parent Merge in $18 Billion Deal." N.p., Dec. 2007. Web. 4 Dec. 2012. <http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/02/activision-and-vivendi-merge-in-18-billion-deal/>. [9] Turi, Tim. "Activision Could Have Bought Blizzard For $7 Million." Game Informer, 2010. Web. 04 Dec. 2012. <http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/01/18/news-kotick_3a00_-activision-could-have-bought-blizzard-for-_2400_7-million.aspx>. [10] Gera, Emily. "Vivendi Selling 61 Percent Stake in Activision Blizzard worth $8.1 Billion." Polygon, July 2012. Web. 4 Dec. 2012. <http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/7/2/3131508/vivendi-selling-61-percent-stake-in-activision-blizzard-worth-8-1>.Weism1 Jul 11, 2013
Nov 15 Diablo books in order. Can someone please list the diablo books from first to last? I'm done with all the old republic and wow books. I think I would really like to get into the diablo ones. TY.Idriveavette44 Nov 15
May 23, 2013 Malazan Series: Why You Should Read It I'm wondering if anyone has read from the shared series of the Malazan books? There is Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen - derived from Napoleon's Book of the Fallen - and his four novellas, and Ian Cameron Esslemont's Novels of the Malazan Empire? Many reviews and explanations go into great detail about the plot, but that defeats the purpose because the magic of the series comes from the sense of discovery. This might be a bad analogy, but I'll compare it to the video game Dark Souls - you are not spoonfed information. The author doesn't talk to the reader, the character talks to himself, at least to some degree. It isn't written in first person, but if the character doesn't know a name of a character, a city, a creature, or whatever, you won't know either. Another character that knows the name of said creature or character will call them by name and its up to the reader to figure out that the other character was detailing the same, just unnamed. Without talking about the plot, this is why you should read these books: In 1982 best friends Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont teamed up to create a campaign for a modified version of the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons system. Four years they switched to the GURPS system and as a result the depth and complexity of the world grew in scale and size, much more of a fully realized world and reality. You might be thinking that this makes comparable to the Forgotten Realm universe, created by Ed Greenwood. Well, you'd be dead wrong. Both authors have degrees in archaeology and anthropology, and its apparent they used their knowledge and experience in creating and developing this unique world. For those that aren't completely sure about the defenition of the two, let me explain why this is so important. Archaeology is the study of human activity and people, usally by recovering environmental data and material culture - an example of material culture is studying an artifact to discover its relationship to its culture - that has been left behind by said peoples and cultures. Artifacts and architecture are most well known examples of things they archaeologists study, as well as biofacts - an excavated and important object that has left by a previous human; an example would a seed to find out what type of food might have been grown or other items that can help realize what the humans might have worn or buildt with. Anthropology is closely related in some aspects, while differing in others. While archaeology might not be defined as academic - not primarily defined as practical or useful - anthropology is. It is the academic study of the humanity. It concerns the understanding of humanity's experience throughout the ages, dealing with everything about ourselves both physical, social and cultural and how those all have evolved from their origins to now and all the time between. One of the primary focuses is to discover where we came from and how our evolution shapes and influences ourselves and our social relationships and cultures - what we do, how we act, and how we think. Sorry if that took long to explain, but emphasis is important here. These books are set in a completely original and unique world, not our own universe. This isn't a big deal in fantasy novels or games; its pretty much garunteed. However, a lot are stale because they base themselves on cliches which might've been revolutionary when the first authors of the genre invented them, be it Tolkien, Lewis, or Peake. Another reason is that along with the fantastical and improbable or impossible setting the characters are written unrealistic, or there isn't a sense of their kind and places having history and culture. Because of their knowledge, whenever I read these Malazan books it feels like I'm seeing through the both the authors' and the characters' eyes, as well as smelling what the characters' smell and see what they see. I feel like I'm breathing in that world, feeling their culture and history all around me. There are so many instances the authors point out dirt mounds, old roads grown over by nature, and many more examples. What makes this idea unique is they manage, by making the world so realized, that each of these has a past or story, ones that the authors might actually know and have fully developed in their heads and how they chronologicaly fit into that world. There are cities built over old, lost cities, ruins over ruins, and this concept never manages to feel like like the fantasy cliche of a ruin under a city for they build these areas by following the rules of archaeology and anthropology. For those who didn't like the longwinded and heavy prose of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings - talking about the history of a place they pass or come across - don't be turned off because they manage to stay away from that problem. All this mainly deals with the archaeology experience they have, but now on to anthropology. This is where they put all other creations and their races and cultures' to shame. The series is made up of plentiful amount of different races, all has complex as our own and some larger in scope, with plenty of variation between them as well as remaining unique compared to other fantasy races and beings. The other thing to mention about these races is their personalities and philosophies. The authors are unapologetic when it comes to realism. The peoples found throughout the series act in a way believable to their cirmumstances, war and violence are detailed but unglorified, there's political intrigues, backstabbers, and everything that makes people evil and stupid. Nowhere is there to be found a race and culture pure like the elves of Middle-Earth. They might think they are, but alas pride and arrogance are one of those evils that abound in humanity. And lastly, characters die both unexpectedly and expectedly, not following a pattern but what would really happen in such an instance. Yes, your favorite character is most likely going to die. Get over it. The series is compared to such great reads and George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books, Glen !@#$'s The Black Company - which arguably could be the Malazan and Martin's books inspirations in terms of mood and nitty, gritty, realism - as well as Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Convenant novels - where the hero is definitely and truly flawed, like we all are. It doesn't matter what you say is better, it really comes down to whats your favorite type of tea argument. There are main commonalities are realism, but other such things are different, like a key thing that you find in Martin's books is how he goes to extreme detail on the banners, flags, sigils, ect. For those curious, when it comes to tea I prefer Earl Grey only because Jean Luc Picard does. Oh, and for those tired of cliches in how magic works in the genre, this is another reason to read. All I will say is that Warrens are - in my humble opinion - the single greatest concept to the idea of magic in the genre in the last decade or two. That is probably going to be scoffed at off the bat, but when other layers of ideas - the Ascendants, the Deck of Dragons, the Tiles of the Holds - it makes the argument much more easy to agree with. Which you'd be right to do so. Doesn't mean I'll tell you what those three concepts are, that would ruin the magic when you read the series. Thanks for indulging in reading this topic. I need to stop before I actually spoil things. There is two warning I have, however. Some of the biggest fans I know aren't afraid to acknolwedge that the first book published, Gardens of the Moon, isn't of the highest quality when compared to to the others. The reason for this is Erikson wrote it in 1991-92, but it published in 1999 and his style and skill developed over that expanse. Another warning is some might be put off by the two author's style or theme of "convergence". While the books are filled with exciting cirmustances, when compared to the "endgame" of each book, the other parts are slow - but only when compared to the end. This is because they follow the idea of the plotlines heading for a joint conclusion, so the tension rises throughout the entire book until the climax that unfolds over around anywhere from 100 to 200 plus pages - to quote Stephen R. Donaldson: "Steven Erikson is an extraordinary writer. I read Gardens of the Moon with great pleasure. And now that I have read it, I would be hard pressed to decide what I enjoyed more: the richly and ominously magical world of Malaz and Genabackis; the large cast of sympathetically-rendered characters; or the way the story accumulates to a climax that hits like machinegun fire. My advice to anyone who might listen to me is, Treat yourself to Gardens of the Moon. And my entirely selfish advice to Steven Erikson is, write faster." With that I come to a close. Once again, thanks.ArcticSwan16 May 23, 2013
May 1, 2013 Official Treasure Goblin Concept Art? I really want to make a piece of fan art with the primary focus on the "Treasure Goblin", but I can't find any official "Treasure Goblin" concept art by blizzard, even in the Collector's Edition Art book I couldn't find one. I would just try and look at him in game...but unfortunately for a rare eye condition no corrective eye-lens works for me, so I can't get a good glimpse of one. I tried google images and keep falling short of low res zoom-ins on the treasure goblin. Can anyone help me find a good concept of the treasure goblin?Blackthorne2 May 1, 2013
Apr 3, 2013 Rebirth by Lee Kang-Woo. Tokyopop's death.... Does anybody else besides me really miss Tokyopop? I miss getting all of those great series from overseas that are no longer translated for the U.S... Especially Rebirth! They made it too the 23 book in the series right as the final battle to end the series began, but then Tokyopop shut down. Its such a sad thing to see the series continued in Italian and Japanese and know that I cannot read it :'(. Its really made me consider buying books from other countries and just putting everything into google translator as I read them. hahaPyro76942 Apr 3, 2013
Mar 19, 2013 Judge DreddThe Cursed Earth Has anyone read them? I was reading a little about the story on wiki, and it looked so cool and great, very fallout 3 ish, was wondering if anyone that read it can give their opinion on it, thanks!Altair0 Mar 19, 2013
Feb 15, 2013 Peter David Benefit Auction Starts Today PAD, Peter David, is thecurrent writer of X-Factor <Marvel>. He's also written things for Babylon 5, The Hulk and well, he's been around awhile. He had a stroke just after Christmas this year. So, the artists that work on his books have thrown together some original works on ebay and are having an auction to help him get money for his bills. It has started as of today. The blog showing all the works is here: http://jkwoodwardart.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/peter-david-benefit-art-auction.htmlVhale0 Feb 15, 2013
Feb 4, 2013 Help out the Mystery Blob book! Ey Ther! This lil' Blob whispered in my ear he needed help in producing this book of drawings that kids and adults both will like! Cheque-czech it out! http://kck.st/12gKbroUser0 Feb 4, 2013
Jan 19, 2013 WTS ICE CLIMBERS 183 STR, 79 DEX, 82 VIT, 50 POISON RESSI, 74 ALL RESSI,11% LIFE ,8% MOVESPEED,-8% COLD DAMAGE and SOCKET !!!!!! Judgement#2391 for contactsJudgement1 Jan 19, 2013
Jan 7, 2013 Carl Sagan I just purchased my first Carl Sagan Book. The Varieties Of Scientific Experience: A personal view of the search for God. I'm excited to read it, much more excited to read this book than play D3.Arwwnold7 Jan 7, 2013
Jan 3, 2013 My Diablo Comic - Act 3 Got bored while waiting on something IRL so I made this... https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/530310_10151216453934302_269871333_n.jpg Don't take it too seriously :p. - MegatronMegatron1 Jan 3, 2013
Dec 28, 2012 Comics - What are you reading? As of right now, I am on a Marvel binge. Just finished up the X series (Earth X, Universe X, and Paradise X). Kinda disappointed with the ending but that's what happens when story lines get condensed and cut.KingGeedorah37 Dec 28, 2012
Dec 3, 2012 big stupid cats who love to snack tell you what, jack, im not comin back til you feed that cat because he keeps sneakin in to my little old shack and helpin himself to everything 'cept the rats cant be havin that, no sir-ee, ill throw him in the well. now you can tell im not messin around everything aint swell. tell michele that she better not eat my taco bell. cuz a bell that dont taco cant be no good im sure aint shootin a elephant sail. mystery shell. whats inside of you, i cant tell. talking bout tails. cats got one and so do dogs and so do snails. wish you wellGargak3 Dec 3, 2012
Nov 22, 2012 Any good graphic novels? Just read the last Northlanders trade, currently reading the latest DMZ, which is about to end. Picked up The Other Side and really enjoyed it. Thinking of picking up The 'Nam and Bayou. What other good stuff is worth checking out?Beerjerk17 Nov 22, 2012
Nov 13, 2012 Can anyone draw: Belial, Lord of Lies? Title ^ If so, how did you draw him? I tried to draw him but it is not working out ><Cryotron931 Nov 13, 2012
Nov 6, 2012 Diablo statues for sale? Not sure where to post this thread, as there is no thread pertaining to toys... but I was curious to see if anyone has heard rumor of Blizzard selling statues, or collectible action figures, of the Diablo franchise? Blizz has lines of Warcraft and Starcraft statues, and even Frostmourne for sale, so it's only a matter of time before they do something similar for Diablo. Specifically, I would love to own the statue given away earlier in the month from the San Diego Comic Con (http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/sdcc-2012-day-one#) to add to my collection.Kalden15 Nov 6, 2012
Oct 24, 2012 New Arcade Website Hello! I'm working on creating a series of websites under my web-company name, Crimson. At the moment, I just finished the Arcade. It has 27 games at the moment, but I'll be adding more on monthly. As you might have guessed, I'm in need of traffic, so that's why I'm putting this link here. Check it out, it's completely safe. Crimson Arcade http://crimsonarcade.weebly.com/ If you wish to post feedback, feel free do do so. Note, this will probably appeal only to teenagers, grown men, speaking from experience, probably don't find web games fun.Duke0 Oct 24, 2012
Oct 7, 2012 nuclear weapons behind a paper wall The post was deleted, if a post exposes the truth about Blizzard and is in clear opposition to the official Blizzard position, if your post gets enough attention, then this is what happens. scrooge mcduck swimming in his pool of gold coins This topic has been deleted. QEDevilpem0 Oct 7, 2012
Sep 27, 2012 Rediculious I have a moderate understanding of how things work both on the front and back end of the business. However, I must say that the product itself is unbecoming. Having played previous versions of this game I can say from an acceptable standpoint that the gameplay is unbalanced. more should be presented on drop rates. To go through half the game without seeing a legendary item worth note, is unacceptable...WhosThatGuy0 Sep 27, 2012
Sep 16, 2012 Diablo III Collectors ed Art Book is there anyway to get this without buying the collectors ed?Cullyn1 Sep 16, 2012
Sep 8, 2012 Anyone going to Baltimore Comic Con? I live in Baltimore so that is where I'll be this weekend. I bought 4 Stan Lee signature tickets so I am looking forward to that. I am going to get the following comics signed: X-Men #12 (First appearance of The Juggernaut) X-Men #16 (First appearance of Master Mold) X-Men #28 (First appearance of Banshee) Savage She-Hulk #1 (First appearance of She-Hulk) I am going to send off X-Men #12 to CGC for Signature Series grading right after I get it signed. It will probably get a 7.0 or better.mentok19821 Sep 8, 2012
Sep 7, 2012 Any Naruto fan here? I love the Naruto series. :)karumin19 Sep 7, 2012
Aug 26, 2012 Diablo 3 Flash Videos A few clips I made of some of the heroes of Diablo 3. I understand I could have used thousands of better sounds, but I hope you understand that I chose those particular ones because they were made by the character classes themselves in-game. scene 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR2i9cBWD_8 and scene 2~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-o3rn2Z3Ss&list=LLKzFzeDia2tsSFvLpMuf7qQ&feature=mh_lolzBoomie0 Aug 26, 2012
Aug 25, 2012 Diablo 3 Books heyy i never read the diablo 3 books but which book is the most interesting to read, which one catches your attention and makes you keep reading throughout the novel.Dreamcrusha4 Aug 25, 2012
Aug 17, 2012 The monk have a imba SKILL,its very imba bug first,I am a Taiwan player!The monk have a imba SKILL,can use blue Elite drop Three times now equipped,I think too much of the imbalance......Please repair quickly..... Skills name is burst boxing,Target to bleed, in 3 seconds dealing 220% weapon damage value of physical damage. If the target is bleeding during the effect of dead bodies will explode, all nearby enemies to cause the target life 30% of the physical damage,. The last time repair only repair the BUFF superposition problem,Equipment drop problem haven't repair... Monk a trip to A3 can have a pack of 63 equipment I hope to repair the vulnerability, let the game balance some of itdingo2 Aug 17, 2012
Aug 10, 2012 Diablo 3 Limited Edition Guide Book Please answer me this...anyone. I bought a the limited edition guide book as soon as i could. After reading everything i see patch after patch, changing the skill, magic find system, gem system, loot system...the list is endless. In the end this book becomes pretty much useless to me. So tell me this, why did i buy this book? I got no privledges no nothing. This is ridiculous. I demand a just explanation, or my 48 aus dollars back, ill happily return the book to you, blizzard.Dongbin3 Aug 10, 2012
Aug 10, 2012 how to unlock my account? I got the problem of ERROR 318003, and my account is locked. Someone know how to unlock it?ExtraClown2 Aug 10, 2012