How to make a working Barter House.

General Discussion
So, the auction houses will soon be history, yet it would be nice to preserve the aspect of trading that has been until March 18, 2014, very much a part of all the Diablo series.

My suggestion then is to have a "Barter House" with the house acting as an escrow agent or clearing house (this means the "BH" holds all the items forming part of a transaction until the transaction is completed, in which case the items are sent across to the parties, or until its cancelled in which case the items are returned).

Here's how it would work:

1) You find some uber godly item, which you decide for any reason to trade.

2) You place the item (or indeed a combination of items, identified or not) into the BH. You can optionally also list items, (or perhaps free text comments) indicating what you'd like for the item. The item is now in the BH, and no longer in your inventory, though at any time you could cancel the transaction and recover your item.

3) The item or items become visible to anyone else using the BH, and can be searched for via normal search filters.

4) If someone has something they think you might be willing to trade your item(s) for, then they place it into the same transaction in the BH. At this point, the BH would now be holding both items. If they changed their minds at any time, they could simply withdraw their item again.

5) You could now do one of the following:

i) Accept the trade, in which case the BH sends your item to the other player and their item to you.

ii) Wait for other, potentially better items to be placed into the transaction by the other or a different player.

iii) Cancel the trade, in which case the BH returns to you and the other player your respective items.

6) Uncompleted transactions would automatically cancel after 36 hours.

This system would allow for trading that would be - almost - as efficient as what we have, but would do away with trading via gold, and thus reduces the impact of the removal of the current auction houses.

Thoughts, anyone?
I like the idea of a Barter House.. thats pretty nifty.

+1 home slice.
I like the idea of a Barter House.. thats pretty nifty.

+1 home slice.

Thanks Skeeks. Appreciated. :-)
+1
This system sounds great...if only there was some way to use a "currency" of some kind that could act as a way to gauge the value of an item. Instead of having to wait for someone to find an item that was equal to your item and hoping they want the exact item you have...that way say there are 3 people and P1 wants what P2 has, but P2 wants what P3 has and P3 wants what P1 has. With your setup that 3 way trade would never happen and all 3 people would be sitting on their amazing items for no reason. If there was some sort of...lets call it...oh I don't know...gold! That's something that has real value in our world so the concept can translate easily to the game. So say this "gold" can stand in as a way to hold a value for your item and you could sell that item for "gold" so that the 3 way trade I mentioned earlier could happen. P1 could sell his item for "gold" to P3, who sells his item for "gold" to P2, who sells his item to P1 for "gold". Man this is perfect, we gotta get ahold of Blizz and see if they can put something like that in!
09/18/2013 11:15 PMPosted by AddictedFool
So say this "gold" can stand in as a way to hold a value for your item and you could sell that item for "gold" so that the 3 way trade I mentioned earlier could happen. P1 could sell his item for "gold" to P3, who sells his item for "gold" to P2, who sells his item to P1 for "gold". Man this is perfect, we gotta get ahold of Blizz and see if they can put something like that in!

Yes, I'm offering this as an alternative to the removal of the GAH. I agree with you, the GAH is more efficient, as I've argued in a number of other threads. I'm just trying to offer up ways to stop Blizzard for removing trading altogether (or making it unnecessarily cumbersome).
09/18/2013 11:21 PMPosted by Hawkeye
So say this "gold" can stand in as a way to hold a value for your item and you could sell that item for "gold" so that the 3 way trade I mentioned earlier could happen. P1 could sell his item for "gold" to P3, who sells his item for "gold" to P2, who sells his item to P1 for "gold". Man this is perfect, we gotta get ahold of Blizz and see if they can put something like that in!

Yes, I'm offering this as an alternative to the removal of the GAH. I agree with you, the GAH is more efficient, as I've argued in a number of other threads. I'm just trying to offer up ways to stop Blizzard for removing trading altogether (or making it unnecessarily cumbersome).

There is nothing they could possibly replace it with that could work even close to as well. Your idea is as close as it gets, the only difference is both people have to have exactly what the other person wants.

Currency/money was invented thousands of years ago, because it is a much better system for trading than a barter only economy. Could you imagine an EBay that didn't use currency but only allowed people to trade items for other items? It would die a horrible death within a month, and for a good reason.

They need to reverse their decision, they don't need to find an alternative. As much as I hate P2W crap, this is the only game that allows players to sell to other players instead of just buying from the Dev. So personally I'd keep the RMAH as well. Let crazy rich people give their money to me, I don't mind.

The entire reason they are removing the AH is because they mistakenly believe it will always replace playing the game as the best way to get gear. If they made items drop at a reasonable rate and allowed you to get powerful on your own without putting THOUSANDS of hours into the game, the AH would stop being relevant on its own without even having to remove it.
The entire reason they are removing the AH is because they mistakenly believe it will always replace playing the game as the best way to get gear. If they made items drop at a reasonable rate and allowed you to get powerful on your own without putting THOUSANDS of hours into the game, the AH would stop being relevant on its own without even having to remove it.

Someone else I was debating with mentioned that it's possible that they made the decision to remove the Auction Houses as a save face maneauver; an attempt to put weight behind their words that the new loot system will be an improvement over what we have now, because the original announcement wasn't able to convince people that the AH wouldn't still be a factor on drop rates in a post 2.0 world.

I don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds plausible.
That actually makes more sense than anything else I've heard.
Since we're posting youtube videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKERC6F7mSM
09/18/2013 11:53 PMPosted by Diablo2PVPER
WHY? THEN LOOT 2.0 DROP RATES WOULD HAVE TO SUCK BALLS.

It's hard to have a discussion on the merits and demerits of new changes when you're in every thread giving us posts like this.
I love it!

I suggested a similar solution elsewhere. I think the text box is important to give buyers an idea of what sellers want.

I also think offers should be auto-cancelled after so long. My suggestion was 36 hours to somewhat equate to the current system.
09/18/2013 11:39 PMPosted by Bomdanil
Someone else I was debating with mentioned that it's possible that they made the decision to remove the Auction Houses as a save face maneauver; an attempt to put weight behind their words that the new loot system will be an improvement over what we have now, because the original announcement wasn't able to convince people that the AH wouldn't still be a factor on drop rates in a post 2.0 world.

The decision may have also come about based on the experience players were having over on console (talking about non-hacked items) since the drop rate and quality are basically a small preview of what they plan to roll out as part of the larger "System 2.0" changes for the PC version.

As been discussed ad nauseum, the AH has been a double edged sword; most definitely made trading easier but also became a meta-game for a portion of the player base and also the main go to for gear since the RNG was designed the way it was on Inferno level items so that the AH's would not be flooded with higher end stuff.

Removal of the AH's therefore liberates the development team from having to rely greatly on wild RNG on Inferno level items as well as soul binding mechanics on a larger quantity of drops with the new systems. I myself did not like the idea of all of this account bound items entering the game as a method to force players away from using the AH.

Loot 2.0 would have been exactly that as the devs were clear in their interviews that they wanted players to play the game (not the AH) to get the best quality drops; the higher rolled items would basically end up being account bound. Any objective based system they rolled out would have account bound measures on them (this includes certain regents and crafting materials). Myself, I have other accounts besides this one. I rarely sell my good stuff (I'm one of those who does not place a real $ value on my gear) and just shuffle them off onto an alternate that I've leveled once I've gotten something better. For hardcore, it's a nice advantage to be able to share my items this way.

For console, the lack of an AH combined with the drop quality has depreciated the AH in terms of feeling like the desired destination for ones gear. As a matter of fact, the quality rate of drops may be just a little too good at the moment (there's a fine balance between monsters being loot pinatas that spew way too much good stuff versus the current RNG which leads to mostly crap). They are going to have to figure out the right algorithm to get that feel (the reward being right around the corner) correct (currently on the PC, it's just mindlessly slaying monsters as quickly as possible and getting mostly junk in return).

Other things like the drop rate of recipes and gems will also have to be re-tuned in an AH-less world. The commodities aspect is what I'm personally going to miss the most since the AH worked well for those sort of items. I can't see bartering/trading large quantities of pages/tomes for example. A portion of the AH code could be reused and rebranded for this area.

Hopefully they will have a concrete "System 2.0" demonstration available at Blizzcon so that we'll have a better idea of what will work, and what potentially won't. The current trade window isn't going to be sufficient enough to replace the things the AH was good at.
I love it!

I suggested a similar solution elsewhere. I think the text box is important to give buyers an idea of what sellers want.

I also think offers should be auto-cancelled after so long. My suggestion was 36 hours to somewhat equate to the current system.

Thanks Xeju - and I've added your suggestion of 36 hours into the original post. :-)
09/18/2013 11:15 PMPosted by AddictedFool
This system sounds great...if only there was some way to use a "currency" of some kind that could act as a way to gauge the value of an item. Instead of having to wait for someone to find an item that was equal to your item and hoping they want the exact item you have...that way say there are 3 people and P1 wants what P2 has, but P2 wants what P3 has and P3 wants what P1 has. With your setup that 3 way trade would never happen and all 3 people would be sitting on their amazing items for no reason. If there was some sort of...lets call it...oh I don't know...gold! That's something that has real value in our world so the concept can translate easily to the game. So say this "gold" can stand in as a way to hold a value for your item and you could sell that item for "gold" so that the 3 way trade I mentioned earlier could happen. P1 could sell his item for "gold" to P3, who sells his item for "gold" to P2, who sells his item to P1 for "gold". Man this is perfect, we gotta get ahold of Blizz and see if they can put something like that in!

You might prefer gold. I personally prefer cookies.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8518432894

But in all fairness, the OP's idea is probably the more well thought out ones I have seen so far.
There is nothing they could possibly replace it with that could work even close to as well. Your idea is as close as it gets, the only difference is both people have to have exactly what the other person wants.

Currency/money was invented thousands of years ago, because it is a much better system for trading than a barter only economy. Could you imagine an EBay that didn't use currency but only allowed people to trade items for other items? It would die a horrible death within a month, and for a good reason.

They need to reverse their decision, they don't need to find an alternative. As much as I hate P2W crap, this is the only game that allows players to sell to other players instead of just buying from the Dev. So personally I'd keep the RMAH as well. Let crazy rich people give their money to me, I don't mind.

Addicted,

The funny thing is I agree with everything you've said.

At the same time however, do we really have any realistic expectation that the Devs will reverse this decision? Their credibility, such as it is, would be FUBAR. Instantly. Permanently.

I will continue to support the retention of the AH's in other threads, this thread is only about offering up an alternative, the next least worst solution so to speak, in the almost certain event that the Devs do not reverse their decision.

This decision to remove the Auction Houses is attacking the symptoms of the games poor designs, not its causes, but I think there's not even a snowballs chance in hell of them reversing it now, so we might as well try to minimise the damage done.
09/19/2013 01:55 AMPosted by Magna
Being able to barter with items makes it interesting, and certainly an option trade-to-trade, but, we'd probably end up with some sort of makeshift currencies, like what gems and runes basically became for D2. (And still, much better than the AH!)

That's kind of the irony of Blizzards decision. They can abolish gold as a reserve currency, but we'll no doubt end up on some other item, just as we did in D2, when SoJ's, then high runes became the de facto currency.

Hopefully, the system I'm proposing will do the least damage should the removal of the Auction Houses go through. Hopefully people will support this unless or until someone comes up with an even better way to trade that won't violate the Devs decision to remove (obviously) currency based trading.