Read a thread the other day but got me thi...

Wizard
Someone said something about hoarding gems and other craftables... I believe Melkor.

He talked about having T* materials for crafting; gems, brimstones, tears, essences and tomes.

Now I hoarded at RoS release after the initial spike of Rubies, I gathered 400k FSQ ruby. On the announcement of AH Closure I sold all of them, and have more gold than I know what to do with.

So that's the reason for my post. Would I be better off investing in more gems, crafting up T* RS gems(I will elaborate in a bit) or just sitting on the gold? To early to tell? Thoughts? Ideas?

Elaboration: I have a feeling FSQ will no longer be dropping for us in release, which isn't announced yet but it seems highly likely that we will be seeing gems like Stars and things dropping just completely bypassing the incessant ammount of crafting needed to progress gems. (remember when people struggled to do inferno at launch? We crafted up hell mats to get FSQ and then made Stars. Very few actually had anything beyond that just because of the crafting costs... that is, if you had leveled your JC at that time). *This is all opinion*
I think it's likely that we will be at least seeing the next level up gem dropping (perfect square I believe). Possibly the star as well but I don't think they'll go too high up the list as drops.

-dolynick
When they introduce the ladder, don't everybody starts with 0 balance in gold, consumables and everything else?
09/19/2013 09:32 AMPosted by Neuron
When they introduce the ladder, don't everybody starts with 0 balance in gold, consumables and everything else?
That's pretty typical with a ladder system. Fresh start. Without AH it would be completely fresh.
09/19/2013 09:32 AMPosted by Neuron

That's what I would expect but it would be only for characters entered into that ladder season. It doesn't apply to characters not created specifically for that season.

-dolynick
IMO, wait til gems floor again then buy up. It seems that at every single announcement Blizzard makes, gems/tomes spike for a day or two.. people get antsy and go f*cking nuts with trades. I remember you saying you ended up with 11b or something?

On ladder, I won't have the time to grind too much so the only reason why I would play ladder is to get exclusives that I could palm off to my non-ladder characters. Fresh start means more time investment required. Not for everyone unfortunately :(
Ended up with lots of gold, but not all from this financial hiccup of the AH. I made about 5000g on each gem i bought with the spike. I had alot to start with but this was by far the largest "flip" ever done.

I was hoping there was something I was missing of anything either data mined or speculated in the next 6 months that would help sway our descisions in the matter. Sadly I'm no psychic and like this last announcement, I'm sure Blizzard will have more.. Lets hope we prepare accordingly.
I'm just gonna wait til it settles a bit again... then BOOM... reds and greens will be filling up my stash :)
Lol Bang.. T= trillions and I was joking! I do have millions of craftables. But not trillions.

No, the market spike from a few days ago was atypical. Not because of the prices the gems rose to, which were high (though nothing compared to goldpocalypse) but because of the short amount of time that the prices rose and fell within (sub 8 hours from spike to trough).

The next move is a steady, climbing rise. Won't be visible intraday or even interday, but over the next few months, the average costs will uptick.

UNLESS -

Blizzard announces something that would change this trend, which I realize you are pointing out, Bangarang. I would speculate that now is the time to acquire. But I can be wrong. I was wrong....once. Jk Jk. Twice.
If you're going to be holding some gems it's probably better to hold FSQ than RS until more is known. With AH closing and if there's no other easy replacement source for crafting materials or even gold other than what you are able to pick up, it could be that they're lowering the crafting costs in both materials and gold.
09/19/2013 10:45 AMPosted by dominatus
If you're going to be holding some gems it's probably better to hold FSQ than RS until more is known. With AH closing and if there's no other easy replacement source for crafting materials or even gold other than what you are able to pick up, it could be that they're lowering the crafting costs in both materials and gold.

Yes and no.

On one hand, gems can't be "down crafted", so prematurely upgrading limits the levels you can execute a trade by capitalizing on the highest profit margin.

On the other hand, if you sit on them and we find out he higher gem levels will be dropping...you can get stuck holding the biggest worthless bag of commodities in history.
Trying to flip gems is a guessing game, basically. You might win, you might lose. Worse, any advice you get on here (including this very post) is suspect, because people might just be trying to manipulate the prices. If I wanted to sell a ton of gems, you could bet on it I would be telling you (and everyone else who happened to read) to buy "because prices are sure to go up further when RoS gets closer". If I wanted to buy a ton of gems, I would right now be telling you to dump yours "because prices always crash a couple of days after going up". Standing to make a profit brings out the worst in people.

Me, I'm sticking with normal flipping. If you have any brain at all, it's risk-free profit, every time.