What's Blizzards real motivation to kill the AH?

General Discussion
Lylirra posted: "On the other hand, it's become increasingly clear that despite the benefits the auction houses provide, they ultimately undermine Diablo's core gameplay and warp our ability to deliver a great in-game experience. A big part of Diablo is the thrill of battling demons and finding epic loot. While buying epic loot in the auction houses might be more convenient, it doesn't feel anywhere near as heroic as plowing through a pack of fearsome-looking monsters and having them drop that one awesome item that seems like it was made for your character."

This is complete BS, the AH doesn't take any time away from my gameplay of slashing through mobs. If anything it makes it easier not to be burdened by to picking up blues and yellows, yeah I know loot 2.0 will fix the junk drops, but without the AH I need to start worrying about breaking down gear for reagents, when before I could just pick up a few items from the AH. Obviously I have been killing demons as I have 5 max characters and one above 60 paragon so the AH doesn't detract from my gameplay. Kill the RMAH if you have to, even kill the AH in hardcore mode but what purpose could there be to kill them all, Blizzard?

I submit to everyone the real reason Blizzard is killing the AH: THE BOTTOM LINE!!! It's all comes down to money. Think logically about this one, the cost to maintain the AH could be staggering, how many items are there on the AH at any one time? The server maintenance of the AH could be insane, plus the payroll for database personnel and who knows what other costs there may be and all of this being done at level comparable to WoW's AH but with no subscription fees to offset the cost, I think Blizzard's hope was that the RMAH would compensate for the GAH. I understand why but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

I'm sure some people will have some nasty comments about my post, and I feel sorry for anyone who does. I'm guessing it would be by the folks that are getting their way. Just know you're not getting your way because you qq'd, this was a decision made by Blizzard to save money. You know what would make me respect Blizzard more, if they came out and were honest about why they are killing the AH. I'm sure we won't be seeing a blue post at the bottom of this thread and I wouldn't be surprised if they went so far as to pull this post down even.

-Sincerely

Disappointed Blizzard Gamer
"they ultimately undermine Diablo's core gameplay and warp our ability to deliver a great in-game experience."

Ya because of greed... they could include good drops but their ability to do so is WARPED by their greed....
motivation?

the MAJORITY wanted it GONE

what you fail to realize is that yourself and all the other whiners on this forum currently are in the MINORITY

its not an I won post or a qq

auction houses are not meant to be in diablo, plain and simple. they tried it. it worked miserably.

come april you won't be crying.
You read into things too much. It is not money. It is as stated that core gameplay is undermined by AH.

People don't find upgrades...ever. Without the AH I would not be where I'm at. Not in a few 1000 years would I be anywhere close. This is the problem. Diablo is meant to farm and find stuff useful. Once you have used the AH killing things is now worthless because the odds of finding an upgrade are astronomical.

"But no one made you use the AH." No s*** Sherlock. That is not the point. The point is the AH takes away from what the game is about. It affects drops in game way too much.

Now, with 2.0 coming and less loot they realized that not are we going to see less loot, but it will be less loot and still crappy thanks to the AH affecting drops. So, a very simple answer to fix a lot is get rid of the problem.

As someone who used the AH to turn a profit I am glad it is going away. I stopped playing because I can't find an upgrade anymore and the crap that does drop is so sad that I can't sell it. I'm excited to get ridiculous weapons in 2.0 and change my build and find weapons that are diverse.

The patch and the removal of the AH can not come fast enough.
motivation?

what you fail to realize is that yourself and all the other whiners on this forum currently are in the MINORITY

+1

We dont want to have a lottery loot system impossible to find upgrades, then play auction house simulator.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150764997?page=3#49
I forgot to mention that, my character in PC would not be where he is without the auction house.

My console character is far beyond superior of my PC character with no auction house needed.
I forgot to mention that, my character in PC would not be where he is without the auction house.

My console character is far beyond superior of my PC character with no auction house needed.

Because they designed it that way.... They could implement a gold action house into the console version and it would still be fun. You guys are throwing the baby out with the bathwater on blizzards shoddy credibilty and flipflops and trusting them with this AH issue....

Plz awnser this. How would gold ah make console diablo 3 less fun? If there were THOUSANDS of items that made using different skills fun you would NEED the auction house. But blizzard is lazy and its customers are stupid. So they get away with it.
Its simple. Its not the way Diablo is meant to be played and its ruined the longevity of the Diablo 3 series!!!!

It is simple that simple. If they leave it up for RoS and Loot 2.0 is wil eb short lived.
Agree. They probably don't make as much $$ from the RMAH to offset the cost of maintaining both AHs anymore.
Imagine the human resources and payroll cost just for a freaking 30 cents transaction. Not to mention taxes, paypal, and a whole lot of other legal messes to deal with. Obviously, Blizzard will never just gonna come out and say it.

Because they designed it that way.... They could implement a gold action house into the console version and it would still be fun. You guys are throwing the baby out with the bathwater on blizzards shoddy credibilty and flipflops and trusting them with this AH issue....

Plz awnser this. How would gold ah make console diablo 3 less fun? If there were THOUSANDS of items that made using different skills fun you would NEED the auction house. But blizzard is lazy and its customers are stupid. So they get away with it.

It would be less fun because the AH would affect the drop rates!!!! No one would find good gear on there either and would be in the same position as the PC. AH = Affected Drops = NO FUN!!!! I like finding upgrades all over the place on the console. It is fun and I'm actually using builds I wouldn't dream of on the PC version because gearing for a different build on the PC would cost $250+.
09/18/2013 09:57 PMPosted by ForTheHorde
You know what would make me respect Blizzard more, if they came out and were honest about why they are killing the AH.

And your conclusion was formulated based on assumptions. You maybe correct, but it is still just an assumption. The opening of Lylirra's post could have been the honest reason you talk about. Though you're mind is elsewhere hoping to hear a different "honest" reason.

Anyways, the reason is not important. What is important is the popularity of the game, and actions taken to make it so. Judge the end product, and not about the "how". Your business is to play the game and enjoy it. Let the company decide on the "how".
motivation?

its not an I won post or a qq

auction houses are not meant to be in diablo, plain and simple. they tried it. it worked miserably.

come april you won't be crying.

nice 12,000 elite kills. yet another example of the No AH all self found "player" (i.e., random forum troll that doesn't play the game)
The are many people which spend 100% of their in game time AH flipping.

The AH takes away the from the significance of what any given individual player can find with only a handful being able to find worth while items.

These are the basic reasons for the AH removal. You can choose to accept and understand this or pointlessly rant on about conspiracies.
They already milked the AH completely dry.

Just look at DIII in it's current state, the game is basically unplayable.

Blizzard would likely sell more copies of the expansion with the AH removed.
nice 12,000 elite kills. yet another example of the No AH all self found "player" (i.e., random forum troll that doesn't play the game)

people stopped playing diablo 3 because it is boring. The auction house has a lot to do with it and also reflects that. I stopped playing along time ago had 25 million laying around since then so i got on to see how much dps i could get.

i went from 120k to 200k with 25 million gold. Now why should i start playing the game again? I have decent dps, i can farm pretty well. Because there is no point in actually playing the game. All i would be doing is going around picking up rares and selling them to vendor so i can get enough gold to get the next upgrade. At this point finding an upgrade is VERY unlikely.

Diablo has always been about building a character and finding loot to fit that character. Diablo 3 is currently about getting gold to get high dps items off the auction house to pad your dps numbers. The build aspect barely affects gameplay. Getting rid of the auction house is a HUGE START in getting back to what made diablo 1 and 2 good games.