So..Diablo planned to die and then die again?

Lore and Story
After playing D3 a couple of times (as well as D1 and D2) I couldn't shake off the feeling "what the hell"?

Whole story of D3 is based on black soulstone and fact that Diablo planned to be contained in it since day 1 (awakening in Cathedral in Tristram). But that just doesn't work anyhow. Chronologically (roughly):

1. Diablo and his brothers has been captured by Horadrims with soulstones. Diablo has been hidden inside Horadrim Cathedral. OK

2. Somehow either before his capture (I'd like to note- he's been imprisoned for few ages or more) or after he managed to contact with Adria and managed to convince her to fulfill his plan.

Something's already wrong here isn't it? Either Adria is about 1000 years old or somehow Diablo managed to summon her while being imprisoned few hundred meters under ground. Even if somehow he'd managed to set all this in motion he would have to actually know about black soulstone. But how if Zoltan created it after imprisoning brothers? But that's not all.

3. Aidan and Adria land in Tristram. Adria aids Aidan in defeating Diablo (and puts soulstone in own head).

Ok- so Diablo planned to free himself and then get killed? So why was he so tough? Also, Adria gives not a single hint that she's got a plan to help Diablo. She's mysterious, yes... But apart from fact that she appears in Tristram when everyone else flees, she seems totally honest. Is she embodiment of Belial or what? Damn- even he wasn't especially cunning, and she's playing wildest trick in the world- sorry Sanctuary. What would have actually happened would every single adventurer fail? It's not easy to kill lord of terror after all. Better yet- why try to flee and take own form?! He took over whole kingdom with ease, would he want, he could actually do whatever he wishes.

4. Aidan- currently Dark Wanderer- goes to the east... Creating quite a mess on his way. On his way he frees Baal and Mephisto. Mephisto is killed and Diablo is killed as well...

AGAIN. It's quite risky plan when it involves TWO deaths... And again- what if adventurers would fail in their quest?

5. Baal reaches mount Arreat and corrupts Worldstone.

It's a tricky one. Is he some kind of loose end in Diablo plan? Throughout whole D2 story I seemed for me like brotherhood had some kind of plan involving all three of them. Baal even succeeded- partially.
So what if he wouldn't be killed and his sould wouldn't go to black soulstone? It seems like serious overlooking in plan- maybe Diablo should make sure that Baal dies before him for sure?

6. 20 years passes... Another overlook. To set things in motion, Leah had to be born, Tyrael had to fall from haven and both Baal and Azmodan had to leave hell. Of course it'd be highly unlikely that they'd stay content with their warm domains... But what if they decide to wait... 100 years? Leah is long dead, not mentioning Adria (unless she really was 1000 years old when D1 events took place). No one knows about about black soulstone- and surely no one knows where to find it. Because Leahs powers were needed to invoke Zoltans ghost, even if someone finds his head, he won't know what to do with it. Everything before point this can be dismissed. But how any plan can base onsuch incredibly unlikely set of events?

Extra point:

Leah- it's known that she has some sort of power in her. She's raised by Cain... Who seemingly completely ignores it. Why does she have such otherworldly power? It's not after her mother as it's totally different kind of power, it's definitely not after Aidan- he was a warrior after all. And Adria trains her, apparently knowing source of Leahs power and yet- no one is concerned. Until it's too late of course...

Summarizing- I'm deeply disappointed with D3 story. It has dozens of flaws, is incoherent and seems like it's been created by someone who barely read through lore. It's especially sad as D2 story was basically D1 story expanded. We've had almost everything in place, there was no single thing (until D3 story has been revealed) that wasn't back in D1. Granted- it wasn't too complicated story, but it had dozens of smaller plots perfectly fitting into lore. D3 seems like trying to do this, but it's tripping over its own foots- not mentioning about good connection with previous games of the series.
I'd love to answer your questions, but I have to leave for work... like 10 minutes ago. I'll reply a bit later.
Spot on... They went too far with this Prime Evil thing not exactly setting the puzzles in place and not thinking about the story overall, many plotholes and bad twists.
2. Somehow either before his capture (I'd like to note- he's been imprisoned for few ages or more) or after he managed to contact with Adria and managed to convince her to fulfill his plan.

Something's already wrong here isn't it? Either Adria is about 1000 years old or somehow Diablo managed to summon her while being imprisoned few hundred meters under ground. Even if somehow he'd managed to set all this in motion he would have to actually know about black soulstone. But how if Zoltan created it after imprisoning brothers?

The overarching plan with Adria was hatched after Aiden contained Diablo by putting the soulstone into his head. It is mentioned in the Book of Cain that after Aiden re-emerged from the Cathedral that he and Adria spent "long nights behind closed doors" in Tristram. So;

-Diablo lures a powerful hero to become his host

Then>

-Aiden/Diablo conspires with Adria, who has knowledge of the Black Soulstone, in the grand scheme to become the Prime Evil.

09/25/2013 06:46 AMPosted by Mixxer5
Ok- so Diablo planned to free himself and then get killed? So why was he so tough?

Well, he wasn't so tough. He was defeated. If he had simply sat there and let himself be killed then it would all be a bit suspicious wouldn't it? :P

Keep in mind that in accordance to the lore the Warrior traveled alongside a Rogue (Blood Raven) and a Sorceror (later, The Summoner). So his fighting against the heroes was no more than an elaborate charade. As far as the lore is concerned he could have very well defeated the heroes, but he chose not to.

Also, Adria gives not a single hint that she's got a plan to help Diablo. She's mysterious, yes... But apart from fact that she appears in Tristram when everyone else flees, she seems totally honest.

Adria is obviously wicked in nature and was drawn to Tristram with the re-emergence of evil. She also has knowledge of the Black Soulstone and is perhaps already plotting how she can utilize it's power. I'm not sure how this is a hole though, she has no reasons to go and reveal that she actually has evil intentions..

AGAIN. It's quite risky plan when it involves TWO deaths... And again- what if adventurers would fail in their quest?

But that's just it, the adventurer's didn't fail and it's perhaps because Diablo didn't let them fail. Again, an elaborate charade.

5. Baal reaches mount Arreat and corrupts Worldstone.

It's a tricky one. Is he some kind of loose end in Diablo plan?

Perhaps. Or perhaps Diablo just had faith that the hero was powerful enough to slay Baal. (P.S- the hero was powerful enough to slay Baal) ;)

20 years passes... Another overlook. To set things in motion, Leah had to be born, Tyrael had to fall from haven and both Baal and Azmodan had to leave hell. Of course it'd be highly unlikely that they'd stay content with their warm domains... But what if they decide to wait... 100 years? Leah is long dead, not mentioning Adria

Leah being born - well she wasn't going to "not" be born. :P
Tyrael's fall from heaven - Nothing to do with Diablo/Adria's plan, rather concerns the End of Days Prophecy.
Belial and Azmodan leaving Hell - They've always wanted to enslave Sanctuary. With the Prime's out of the way and Tyrael being recreated after being destroyed by the Worldstone explosion, why would they wait? This actually supports the idea of Diablo's plan; he knew that they would take the opportunity to invade Sanctuary with him and his 2 brothers out of the equation.

But how any plan can base onsuch incredibly unlikely set of events?

Leah's birth - Inevitable
Belial/Azmodan's invasion - a given
Tyrael's fall from heaven - unrelated

No one knows about about black soulstone- and surely no one knows where to find it. Because Leahs powers were needed to invoke Zoltans ghost, even if someone finds his head, he won't know what to do with it.

The Black Soulstone was known about by Adria, and the decapitation of Zoltun Kulle was written about in Tomes. Cain's book is one such tome, and that was with Leah/the Hero.
Whole story of D3 is based on black soulstone and fact that Diablo planned to be contained in it since day 1
I'm not so sure about that. I am almost positive that his plans in Diablo III were incepted between Diablo I and II, while possessing Aidan.

2. Somehow either before his capture (I'd like to note- he's been imprisoned for few ages or more) or after he managed to contact with Adria and managed to convince her to fulfill his plan. Something's already wrong here isn't it? Either Adria is about 1000 years old or somehow Diablo managed to summon her while being imprisoned few hundred meters under ground. Even if somehow he'd managed to set all this in motion he would have to actually know about black soulstone. But how if Zoltan created it after imprisoning brothers? But that's not all.
My statement above covers this.

Ok- so Diablo planned to free himself and then get killed? So why was he so tough?
He did that so that he could find a very powerful hero to possess instead of frail Albrect.

4. Aidan- currently Dark Wanderer- goes to the east... Creating quite a mess on his way. On his way he frees Baal and Mephisto.
Just to clarify, Mephisto was actually freed before Diablo was.

5. Baal reaches mount Arreat and corrupts Worldstone. It's a tricky one. Is he some kind of loose end in Diablo plan? Throughout whole D2 story I seemed for me like brotherhood had some kind of plan involving all three of them. Baal even succeeded- partially.
I agree. It is a little sketchy, this part of the story. It could be as simple as just a failed demonic scheme to corrupt humanity, and probably is just that.I don't really know if the corruption or destruction of the worldstone played any part in any 'grand plan.'
Leah- it's known that she has some sort of power in her. She's raised by Cain... Who seemingly completely ignores it. Why does she have such otherworldly power? It's not after her mother as it's totally different kind of power, it's definitely not after Aidan- he was a warrior after all. And Adria trains her, apparently knowing source of Leahs power and yet- no one is concerned. Until it's too late of course...

It's assumed that Leah inherited her power from her witch mother, this is directly stated in the game.

Leah: "This damned power I have... Uncle Deckard said it came from my mother."

For all we know this power grows stronger in generations and hence she is more powerful. Of course we come to learn that the power is in-fact inherited from Diablo but there is nothing in the game that contradicts her having such power. Definitely not a plot hole.

Summarizing- I'm deeply disappointed with D3 story. It has dozens of flaws, is incoherent and seems like it's been created by someone who barely read through lore.

I respectfully disagree. Although some flaws are apparent, none of those you listed are among them as they are all easily explained. Overall the storyline ties in quite nicely with the first two games and does well to expand on the Diablo mythos. In my opinion of course.
Well, your posts actually present this story a bit better but still:

1) Assuming that this plan bored after Diablo took over Aidan, it must have been a backup plan. The Black Soulstone wasn't even finished and there was no way Diablo could predict that it would actually work.

2) It's plausible that it was Diablo who 'tapped' the souls of 5 Evils as he met with them all as Aidan, Adria did it for the Belial and Azmodan. Still, the BSS wasn't completed, they never had a chance to examine it... But let's say Diablo knows much about magic and BSS is similar to normal Soulstone, then he could pulled it off.

So, I think the Black Soulstone plan should be considered as a just-in-case scheme. Based on cards that could be rendered useless but actually proved usefull. Human-Demon offspring Leah is an ace that helped Diablo, Black Soulstone actually proved to be working properly. Many variables, some setbacks in the original plan, so Diablo was desperate enough to go for the Prime Evil thing.
Indeed the Black Soulstone wasn't finished, but it could have very well been at 90% completion and all it needed was for Kulle to infuse it with a bit more of his power to stabilise the stone so that it doesn't go berserk when powerful souls begin to fill the stone--evident that since he did not finish his spell channelling when confronted by the nephalem, Leah had to use inferior magic to constantly channel at it to stabilise it. Although I'm also pretty sure that the spell Adria taught Leah to channel at the Soulstone secretly helps to attune the stone to Diablo's control while stabilising the powers of other Evils emanating from it.
And with the Black Soulstone being such a grand experimentation by a prominent Horadric figure as Zoltun Kulle, I'm sure there will be information on it left behind somewhere that either Diablo hearsd rumours of its existence after years of being on Sanctuary, or Adria found out about it during her journeys. She might have already known about it since her days in the Dark Coven because Belial knew of its existence.
Either way, she was drawn to Tristram after leaving the Coven, Diablo emerged from his prison under the Cathedral as the dark wanderer, they both met, Adria pledged her allegiance to Diablo, and then they hatched the Prime Evil grand scheme.
I do agree that the plan is stupid because it involved Diablo himself being killed *again* in Diablo 2 just so that he could eventually be born again in Diablo 3. I guess he enjoys being killed again and again just to become stronger with each reincarnation on Sanctuary.
I like your post so I'm going to go and post my response and theories about it.

Diablo made his grand entrance in D1. Adria, came to new tristram when she heard what was happening. My assumption is that she is just a demon worshiping witch and pledged her services to him at this point. Aiden comes to town to kill Diablo. I have not read all of the Books myself but those saying the black soulstone did not exist at this point in time I believe to be wrong. I think it very much did exist. It was made by a renegade horadrim and at the point in time of D1, cain was the last living one. So I believe that it did indeed exist.

So from here I think Aiden kills Diablo and tries to contain his essence within himself. After this I believe Diablo begins his work in corrupting him. Manages to take control for periods that he spends with Adria. They make the plans and begin their work together to put them in motion.

Diablo leaves Tristram to free Baal. They then both go and meet with Mephisto. I believe as said above it was diablo who tagged Andariel, Duriel, Baal, Mephisto and his own souls to goto the Black Soulstone. I think the three brothers then made their plans, that to be to corrupt the Worldstone and seek to draw the last two lords of hell to Sanctuary. It being destroyed by Tyrael I don't think was the origional intention but worked out regardless.

From there Azmodan and Belials lust for power and greed drew them into Diablo's web. They were killed and Adria finished what Diablo could no longer do. That and trained and prepped Leah for her eventual possesion. Her being the blood of a powerful hero, a powerful witch and a prime evil made a wonderful host. That and probably secured Diablo's concience reigning supreme since she was his blood.

From there, I think the attack on the high heavens a ruse. I think Diablo sought what the one thing he wanted the most. To be supreme and rule all creation. He knew however that as powerful as he was, mortals, us humans had a potential almost unlimited because of our heritage of both Light and Dark. This is why I think he wanted the Black Soulstone so much. Like Zoltun Kulle said, it can contain many souls and not just those of demons but that of humans and angels alike. Key part there being the Angels. I think he went to heaven to tag the souls of angels. To lure them to the now known Black Soulstone and be killed and thus absorbed into it. Making it have the power of both light and dark and thus giving a chance to make Diablo the end all.

How it goes from there I am unsure, that is my theory though.
@Valdez BSS wasn't complete at the time of D1, it is clearly stated in D3 that Zoltun Kulle finished it after entering the chamber. As someone said it could have been complete in 90%.

About the Worldstone and luring Belial and Azmodan, even Tyrael couldn't predict the effects of destroying the Worldstone. So I think it wasn't the initial plan of Diablo. And tagging Belial and Azmodan? Maybe Adria did it, maybe Diablo while being in Hell in Act 4.

Without the clarifications on Blizzard part we can only speculate about the truth but I fear that the answers might be too far-fetched or inconsistent, which is how I view Diablo 3 plot when it comes to BSS and tagging souls, Adria being an ally, Tyrael being a human and minor things that left me with bad taste like Azmodan the greatest commander of Hell, Belial the Lord Of Lies, Butterfly death of Cain etc.
In the Diablo 1 manual is written, that Albrecht is the only son of Leoric. In Diablo 3 he suddenly has two sons: Aidan and Albrecht. How do you explain that?
09/28/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Bfler
In the Diablo 1 manual is written, that Albrecht is the only son of Leoric. In Diablo 3 he suddenly has two sons: Aidan and Albrecht. How do you explain that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity
09/28/2013 02:07 PMPosted by Bfler

This retcon doesn't bother me. But even if we would stay with facts, it is possible that Aidan was considered dead as he participated in a war with Westmarch and hadn't returned as early as the bulk of Khanduras remnants. So they could have written that Albrecht is the only son of Leoric.

Diablo leaves Tristram to free Baal. They then both go and meet with Mephisto. I believe as said above it was diablo who tagged Andariel, Duriel, Baal, Mephisto and his own souls to goto the Black Soulstone. I think the three brothers then made their plans, that to be to corrupt the Worldstone and seek to draw the last two lords of hell to Sanctuary. It being destroyed by Tyrael I don't think was the origional intention but worked out regardless.

i don't know what the 3 brothers plan was exactly seeing as how the heroes stopped them before they could go further after the worldstone. was the plan mephisto's since he was the eldest brother?

it seems to me like this black soulstone plan was diablo's alone. to say if his brothers or the lesser evils knew, things would have gone down differently. also does the worldstone really matter in relation to the black soulstone? if the worldstone had not been destroyed would of belial and amzodon still invaded sanctuary? their motivation was the black soulstone was it not? would of diablo still gotten the black soulstone regardless of the events of diablo 2?

From there, I think the attack on the high heavens a ruse. I think Diablo sought what the one thing he wanted the most. To be supreme and rule all creation. He knew however that as powerful as he was, mortals, us humans had a potential almost unlimited because of our heritage of both Light and Dark. This is why I think he wanted the Black Soulstone so much. Like Zoltun Kulle said, it can contain many souls and not just those of demons but that of humans and angels alike. Key part there being the Angels. I think he went to heaven to tag the souls of angels. To lure them to the now known Black Soulstone and be killed and thus absorbed into it. Making it have the power of both light and dark and thus giving a chance to make Diablo the end all.

How it goes from there I am unsure, that is my theory though.

i never thought about this, it seems very interesting to imagine how diablo would manifest with the angels also in the stone.
He just has allot of backup plans I figure. His goal wasn't defeat.
Honestly, the people who made D3 are not the same people who made D1 and D2 and instead of doing their homework they just went with their own story, which makes no sense if we consider D1 and D2 canon.

Its sad but thats all there is to it.
Honestly, the people who made D3 are not the same people who made D1 and D2 and instead of doing their homework they just went with their own story, which makes no sense if we consider D1 and D2 canon.

Its sad but thats all there is to it.

It at least follows this games absurd logic.

Azmodon literally did not care that you plowed through his defenses and offenses.
Tyreal did not think for a second that entrusting all of the prime evils to a complete stranger might be stupid.
Maghda did not think that allowing Tyreal to regain his memory may, in fact, be a bad thing.
Belial did not think that having a bunch of his demons appear as body guards as he's hiding as a child may or may not be incredibly suspicious.
Zulten Khulle did not think to at least WARN us of what was happening to the black soulstone as opposed to just blindly and violently attacking us.
And of course, Diablo's ever so lovely "IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT YOU DEFEATED MY HELL RIFTS!!! EVERYTHING IS GOING AS I PLANNED!!! MUWAHAHAHAH!!!!"
Not to mention, depending on your definition of a '' prime evil '', Diablo might not have ever been the prime evil in the first place.

IMO, the prime evil would be absolutely all evils into one being. Yet Diablo was only: Lies (From Belial), Sin ( Azmodan) and Terror ( Diablo's still Diablo...) Did I miss any other evils trapped in the stone before Diablo absorbed it?

So, Lust ( Cydea or however it's spelled ), Despair ( Rakanoth ), Gluttony ( Ghom )... All evils per say, yet the soulstone absorbed none of them, we just beat the crap out of them and left them there. Diablo never absorbed those, or at least we've never seen it, and showed no sign of it, yet he didn't show signs of Sin and Lies either, so maybe I'm just stupid.
Not to mention, depending on your definition of a '' prime evil '', Diablo might not have ever been the prime evil in the first place.

IMO, the prime evil would be absolutely all evils into one being. Yet Diablo was only: Lies (From Belial), Sin ( Azmodan) and Terror ( Diablo's still Diablo...) Did I miss any other evils trapped in the stone before Diablo absorbed it?

So, Lust ( Cydea or however it's spelled ), Despair ( Rakanoth ), Gluttony ( Ghom )... All evils per say, yet the soulstone absorbed none of them, we just beat the crap out of them and left them there. Diablo never absorbed those, or at least we've never seen it, and showed no sign of it, yet he didn't show signs of Sin and Lies either, so maybe I'm just stupid.

Andariel, Duriel, Belial, and Azmodan. the 4 "lesser" evils. Diablo, Mephisto and Baal. the 3 Prime Evils. All 7 of their souls were trapped in the stone.

the Sin lieutenants are not "evils" as such.
I am actually really surprised to see that no commenter has mentioned the fact that the fallen angel Izual gave away the secrets of the Soulstones (as mentioned in Diablo 2 by himself) to the lords of Hell.

Thus, any plan Diablo would hatch after this event in the Eternal Conflict is perfectly viable and fits with the current scenario.