Rumor has it...

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
10/19/2013 09:07 PMPosted by Recluce
Like I said, to each his own, but I still have the right to laugh at what I see as stupid behavior. There is no jealousy in my criticism. There has never been a time where I have given a crap about someone having more than myself.

If you find people spending money in ways that make them happy stupid behavior what does that say about you? I am not sure why something has to be tangible to not be "stupid" to buy. Is going to a sporting event tangible? All you have when you get home is the memory.

Do you plan on spending $6,000 on a sporting event? Lol.

Just because it makes them happy doesn't exempt them from my opinion.

To some people, buying and eating laundry detergent makes them happy. To some people, buying and doing the drug "krokodil" (which causes their skin to deteriorate) makes them happy, but reduces their life expectancy to months. Do I think they're stupid? Absolutely.

There was a post in this thread about something being "within reason". Usually things that are unreasonable to the masses will be ridiculed. Spending $6,000 on an in-game item that isn't real, they don't own and will most likely be subject to a massive value loss is unreasonable to me and a lot of people. So, if you do it, be prepared for ridicule.

It really doesn't matter if you're a millionaire or dirt poor, $6,000 is a lot of money. Just ask anyone with brains who has a lot of money if they would set $6,000 on fire. My assumption is they would tell you no.

Like I said though, to each his own. They can do whatever they want with their money. That's the great part of being in a (relatively) free world. It's also okay for me to laugh at it if I find it funny.
The guy is a botter

I suppose you have never been to the Augusta masters then. Tickets for the whole four day event run a bit under 5k. I never have either, because I find golf boring (besides the fact that I don't have the money for it). Because I find golf boring does that make the people that spend 5k to watch it stupid? Does that make their purchase stupid?

The bottom line is judging the way other people spend their money when they are happy with their purchase and feel like they got their moneys worth is just a narrow minded douche thing to do. It just screams of "I know the smart thing to do and anyone that does something different must be stupid."

While you are laughing at them I am just pitying you.
I have a difficult time understanding this type of thing.

Isn't the whole point of these games to challenge ones-self in the journey to attaining a nearly invulnerable state?

How is it possible to continue playing after attaining the point where game mechanics can be totally disregarded and face-rolled without concern due to an overgeared status? Sure, it may be great fun for a few hours, but wouldn't a lack of any challenge at all have a short shelf life?

What comes next? I suppose logging into the profile page to stare at the godliness?
Has anyone noticed the issue with the boots he's wearing?
They are suppose to at least roll some intelligence on there, but there is none.
Has to be a dupe, wouldn't be surprised if the ammy is too.

I guess they must be legacy.

Well, considering that the current version is called Zunimassa Trails, it has to be legacy. Indeed it is. It is only the Zunimassa Trails that ALWAYS has int and Vit on it. The Journey had 2 RANDOM magical stats, showing why you could get ones without any int on them.
10/19/2013 09:36 PMPosted by Recluce

I suppose you have never been to the Augusta masters then. Tickets for the whole four day event run a bit under 5k. I never have either, because I find golf boring (besides the fact that I don't have the money for it). Because I find golf boring does that make the people that spend 5k to watch it stupid? Does that make their purchase stupid?

The bottom line is judging the way other people spend their money when they are happy with their purchase and feel like they got their moneys worth is just a narrow minded douche thing to do. It just screams of "I know the smart thing to do and anyone that does something different must be stupid."

While you are laughing at them I am just pitying you.

Then pity me if that's how you feel. It doesn't change my stance, nor do I really care what anyone thinks of me.

I flat out say, I think it's stupid to spend $6,000 on an in-game item. It defeats the purpose of the game itself.

On that note, do I think people spending $5,000 to go to a golf outing stupid? Yes, I do. Am I a douche for thinking so? Perhaps, but I still think it's a waste of money. Am I right or wrong? I am neither. It's called an opinion, my friend.
10/19/2013 09:59 PMPosted by StoneOld
I spent plenty of money on things I want and plenty on things I need. Though, spending thousands of dollars on things you don't own and is nothing more than a few 1's and 0's with no real value is completely lolworthy.

Like I said, to each his own, but I still have the right to laugh at what I see as stupid behavior. There is no jealousy in my criticism. There has never been a time where I have given a crap about someone having more than myself.

These two passages are subtly revealing. You say you laugh at the ridiculousness of someone spending thousands on something that they, "don't own and is nothing more than a few 1's and 0's with no real value," and follow that up by saying that, "There has never been a time where I have given a crap about someone having more than myself."

The fact that you would choose to express that particular stance in that way is an indicator that you do indeed care about whether someone has more than you, and in particular, you care about the fact that this Barbarian has that amulet, and you don't. So while you may profess your nonchalant dismissiveness, you may feel differently in private.

StoneOld

That actually has nothing to do with the barbarian owning more than myself. You're not very good at twisting arguments around in order to support your opinion.

How does me laughing at the situation have anything to do with me being jealous of him owning a better amulet than myself? Lol.

I'm laughing because I think it's stupid to spend that much money on an in-game item. A point that I've made glaringly clear. It has nothing to do with whether I care or not.
I have a difficult time understanding this type of thing.

Isn't the whole point of these games to challenge ones-self in the journey to attaining a nearly invulnerable state?

In a way, it's like a marathon. Some can run the 42 km., some don't. Between those that don't, there are some that want to cross the line nonetheless. Regarding this, we get 3rd parties and RMAH. As crossing the line is pretty easy when starting from the last 10 meters, it evolves into who has the most expensive shoes, who sweats the least, and so on. In their minds, that makes them better marathon runners.

It's another kind of competition. But, can they be considered as marathon runners? By definition, nope.
On that note, do I think people spending $5,000 to go to a golf outing stupid? Yes, I do. Am I a douche for thinking so? Perhaps, but I still think it's a waste of money. Am I right or wrong? I am neither. It's called an opinion, my friend.

That's fine to have an opinion. Of course you did not begin by stating as an opinion. That was your fall back after calling it, flat out, stupid or dumb, depending on your post.

Either way, your opinion in regards to others purchases is literally meaningless. You can say that purchasing a 5k ticket to golf, or 6k virtual item is stupid for you to do. And unless you were somehow deluding yourself you would be absolutely right. You have full access to knowing how happy that those purchases would make you, and how happy you would be using the money for something else. Clearly you would be happier if you used the money for something else. Hence, for you it would be stupid to spend the money that way.

You have no access to the utility function of the guy that bought that item, or the wealthy folks that spend 10k (including transportation and lodging) to watch golf. Clearly they decided that the way to get the most happiness out of that 6k or 10k was those purchases. Otherwise they would not have made them. The fact that you have no measurement of the joy they got from their purchase means you could not possibly make an even remotely accurate analysis of their decision. You have no idea whatsoever if it was a "stupid" purchase, because you only have access to one side of the equation, which for you is a big a number. Then in your head you are for some reason putting your own utility function in on the other side and determining stupid. If that is the extent of the quality of your analysis why bother even sharing it? Why would anyone care about something so boringly juvenile?

But its a relatively open forum after all. So right on, express your opinion. Say why it doesn't make sense for you if you so desire. But laughing, or calling people's free actions stupid because they do not meet your criteria is not just ignorant, but a huge waste of meaningless hot air.
The amount of posts you've made in this thread, trying to convince others that you "don't care" and how you're going defensive every single time.. prove the opposite.

But don't let me stop you! Keep going.

If I were jealous, I would have no problem stating so, just as other people have in this conversation.

What about me replying to a disputer of my comments is being 'defensive'? It's called debating. You know, the entire reason online forums exist. God forbid we argue on a forum.

10/19/2013 10:23 PMPosted by Recluce

That's fine to have an opinion. Of course you did not begin by stating as an opinion. That was your fall back after calling it, flat out, stupid or dumb, depending on your post.

We're on a forum...

What else do you think a statement in that context is going to be, fact? Lol. Do I need to start every post with "It is in my opinion that..." or is it simply implied? I would assume the latter.

You can say that purchasing a 5k ticket to golf, or 6k virtual item is stupid for you to do. And unless you were somehow deluding yourself you would be absolutely right. You have full access to knowing how happy that those purchases would make you, and how happy you would be using the money for something else. Clearly you would be happier if you used the money for something else. Hence, for you it would be stupid to spend the money that way.

Now you understand!

I think it's stupid. I voiced my opinion. You didn't agree. You voiced yours. Aren't forums grand? :)
I flat out say, I think it's stupid to spend $6,000 on an in-game item. It defeats the purpose of the game itself.

Ah, you think it's stupid because you also think they're playing D3. They aren't. In D1 it was duped items. In D2 there were editors, and as it was difficult to compete on –and let others know– who has the better gear when offline mode, the "battlefield" was on realms. D3 is just another chapter in the saga.

It's not about who's the fastest behind the wheel, but who has the most expensive car in the block. Whole different game.
10/19/2013 10:45 PMPosted by Nicator

Ah, you think it's stupid because you also think they're playing D3. They aren't. In D1 it was duped items. In D2 there were editors, and as it was difficult to compete on –and let others know– who has the better gear when offline mode, the "battlefield" was on realms. D3 is just another chapter in the saga.

It's not about who's the fastest behind the wheel, but who has the most expensive car in the block. Whole different game.

It's rather silly to buy a car that you won't drive, agree?
10/19/2013 10:48 PMPosted by Yura
It's rather silly to buy a car that you won't drive, agree?

Driving it or not isn't the point. The point is owning it. Man, I'd love to own a 1965 Shelby GT 350. I doubt I'd drive it everywhere. Then again, it amuses me when current owners talk as if they'd have won races with it.
10/19/2013 10:05 PMPosted by Skillol
The amount of posts you've made in this thread, trying to convince others that you "don't care" and how you're going defensive every single time.. prove the opposite.

Seem to me that it is very important to you that the others care.
It's not strange at all. But you should know where your obsession of jealousy come from.
10/19/2013 11:12 PMPosted by Bombus

Seem to me that it is very important to you that the others care.
It's not strange at all. But you should know where your obsession of jealousy come from.

I also gather that same feeling from any of my interactions with skillol. He seems to want people to care about him or all of the top people in the game. When in fact, most people don't give two ****s.