Loot 2.0 Question

General Discussion
With smart drops, will I be able to MF for my wizard on my monk? Or, would I have to just play my wizard to get wizard gear?

I think it would be pretty lame if I couldn't just MF for my other characters on my favorite/most fun character.

If this hasn't been discussed, we should discuss it here. How would you guys feel about this, or how do you feel it should be?
If we assume the same model as what is on the console, all I can say is "the biggest complaint with loot is not being able to find upgrades for your followers".
What is 'MF' mean?
10/16/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Gewalt
If we assume the same model as what is on the console, all I can say is "the biggest complaint with loot is not being able to find upgrades for your followers".

I am fine with many average legendaries dropping, as long as the best legendaries are very rare and when they do drop, they are always some what good. I really hope it is not easy to find good items in loot 2.0. I want the hunt, more than I want the hunted. Without the hunt, I am nothing. (Illidan anyone?)

10/16/2013 02:10 PMPosted by Fragbait
What is 'MF' mean?

Magic Finding, it's a term you use when you are actively looking for items.
This is a good question, and I've seen it brought up before. Not every item that drops for you in Loot 2.0 will be a smart drop, so it'll have a chance to be something one of your alternate characters (or followers) wants to use.
That would be a very useful option to have - choosing the focus of your smart drops.

As for followers, I feel smart drops should automatically have a sub-focus on whichever follower you're using. Like say 75% are smart drops focused on you, and the other 25% are random, then somewhere in there should be like 5-10% that is all follower item-types.
10/17/2013 01:48 PMPosted by Grimiku
This is a good question, and I've seen it brought up before. Not every item that drops for you in Loot 2.0 will be a smart drop, so it'll have a chance to be something one of your alternate characters (or followers) wants to use.

This is true with the console version. While a large percentage of drops are smart there are some that aren't.

So far I haven't been able to determine what criteria the games uses when choosing the stats on the non-smart. It SEEMS like if I have a follower, the chances are higher that the non-smart drops will roll for my follower rather than just be completely random though I have not done thorough testing to validate this guess.

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that I will be able to find items for all my characters no matter which I am playing :)
10/17/2013 01:57 PMPosted by Audial
This is true with the console version. While a large percentage of drops are smart there are some that aren't.

I hope it'll be the other way around for the PC.
Smart drops should be a very small pecentage imo.

10/16/2013 02:21 PMPosted by Kenorwox
I am fine with many average legendaries dropping, as long as the best legendaries are very rare and when they do drop, they are always some what good. I really hope it is not easy to find good items in loot 2.0. I want the hunt, more than I want the hunted. Without the hunt, I am nothing. (Illidan anyone?)

This is indeed how it should work. Finding legs is fun even if they are less than the one your char is using as long as they are useful or could have been useful for a certain class/build. But if it rains BiS or near-BiS items, the game won't last long.

Don't know Illidion, but I'd guess the Predators (from the movies) think alike ;)
I have all five sixties on console...and I've noticed an increase in drops for my other classes...usually in the form of class specific legendaries...eg. last night a warriors vow dropped while playing my Wizard, and a a mask dropped while playing my barb. Could just be RNG tho :)

Grimiku, will Smart Drops activate when an item drops that is useless to the character it drops for? Like for example, a rare or legendary quiver drops for your Crusader: Will there still be a chance for the Smart Drop to add strength to it?
10/17/2013 02:02 PMPosted by Kenorwox

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that I will be able to find items for all my characters no matter which I am playing :)

Take this quote with a grain of salt my friend, I'm sure in reality there is some truth to it, but I doubt things will be purposely dropping for the sake of your other alts. It just doesn't seem practical, nor the Diablo way.
10/17/2013 03:07 PMPosted by zSnakez
Take this quote with a grain of salt my friend, I'm sure in reality there is some truth to it, but I doubt things will be purposely dropping for the sake of your other alts. It just doesn't seem practical, nor the Diablo way.

I don't want things purposefully dropping for my alt characters. I just want items that aren't "smart drops" for the character I am playing on atm to be the only items that drop.
Finding items for other characters doesn't seem like the Diablo way? Uh.

Anyway, smart drops might sound good on paper , as in 'useful items dropping', but to me it sounds like it only builds upon the current flaws of itemization.

Smart drops supposedly drop items that are tailored to your class?
But items shouldn't be tailored to a class in the first place.
There shouldn't even be specific stats that are meant for one class.

Stats should be good for specific skills, not universally good for whole classes. That is just boring and harmful to item and stat diversity.
I still don't understand about "smartness" of loot, can you clarify this plz
If I want an Inna pants with Intelligence, should I play monk (as Inna is a monk set and smartness will be biased towards my current class items) or Wizard/WD (as smartness will increase a chance to roll Intelligence to any item that might be dropped)
10/17/2013 03:14 PMPosted by Shadout
Stats should be good for specific skills, not universally good for whole classes. That is just boring and harmful to item and stat diversity.

Unfortunately, original development of D3 doesn't seem to have taken this into account. While there are items that provide small boosts to different specific skills, the majority of focus appears to have been on overall dps.

The result is that in many cases an entire set of gear can be taken from one class and dropped right onto another totally different class and still work. While the classes generally have specific items that players desire for each class, most items appear to be cross-class functional.

And I agree. In my opinion, it's boring as all get out.

The smart drop system is interesting and helps make the console version entertaining, especially during the leveling process. But, players can still run into the "can't find an upgrade" wall fairly quickly.

Hopefully, further refinements will come with Loot 2.0.
still don't understand about "smartness" of loot, can you clarify this plz
If I want an Inna pants with Intelligence, should I play monk (as Inna is a monk set and smartness will be biased towards my current class items) or Wizard/WD (as smartness will increase a chance to roll Intelligence to any item that might be dropped)

The way it works is that playing your wizard would increase your chances of the pants dropping with intelligence. But that even if you played your monk, there would be a possibility of intel pants dropping anyway.

Just better odds at what you want by playing the class you want to have the item.

Then, if you're playing one class but a class-exclusive item drops for a different class, will the smart drop stats be for the class that can wear it, or for the class you're currently playing (even though that class couldn't wear it anyway)?
i honestly dont really like the smart drop system very much. i mean it would be perfect if it would only guarantee the specific stat on classgear and maybe a increased chance of finding smartdrops for the class you play.

the system in the console version is to much. it feels like the game gives you the items you need (which is intended in a way) however the problem is that it just doesnt feel as good if you get a good item drop. i am not saying i want bad loot to drop but i would definitely want to see more loot drops for other classes and my follower as well. because as the op has stated if you want to farm stuff for another class, and that should be possible, the smart drop system is a real problem.

so maybe only 40 % of the items should be smart drops. the rest is random with class specific items always have that classes primary stat guaranteed.
As far as I can tell (the way it always worked for me) on console if an item drops that your character cannot use ( like a manticore drops while your playing your barb ) it will always have the main stat of the class that does use it.