Improvements to Meteor

Wizard

Barb has a team of ancients, DH has assorted animals, WD has assorted dead animals, Monk has Mystic Ally....why does wiz have no follower?

Familiar?

I refer to a follower as not just an animation. A follower is something that monsters can see and interact with. ie, you can use you follower to tank (as well as do damage)

Familiar is just an animation. It works like an armor spell or a passive. To me that's not really a follower.

Familiar?

I refer to a follower as not just an animation. A follower is something that monsters can see and interact with. ie, you can use you follower to tank (as well as do damage)

Familiar is just an animation. It works like an armor spell or a passive. To me that's not really a follower.

we can get a couple of ourselves using mirror image lol
-There is no real change to Star Pact except a further cost cut. It looks even less appealing now that it did before.

That's one of my big issues with Star Pact right now, the casting cost reduction isn't even big enough to make it worthwhile in any way; easily the weakest Meteor Rune. Add to that you can't even get a damage bonus from Conflagration OR Cold Blooded with it and it just... stinks...

My idea for a buff to it, would be changing the rune to function like the "Armageddon" Druid skill from D2 - turn it on, and for 30 seconds random arcane meteors fall from the sky all over the screen. I think that would be a nice way of making the skill function in a truly new way that enabled some more creative use of it in builds.
10/22/2013 07:27 AMPosted by TheRaven
-There is no real change to Star Pact except a further cost cut. It looks even less appealing now that it did before.

That's one of my big issues with Star Pact right now, the casting cost reduction isn't even big enough to make it worthwhile in any way; easily the weakest Meteor Rune. Add to that you can't even get a damage bonus from Conflagration OR Cold Blooded with it and it just... stinks...

My idea for a buff to it, would be changing the rune to function like the "Armageddon" Druid skill from D2 - turn it on, and for 30 seconds random arcane meteors fall from the sky all over the screen. I think that would be a nice way of making the skill function in a truly new way that enabled some more creative use of it in builds.
Tbh, the issue isn't the reduced cost of Star Pact. That's actually pretty nice.

Rather it's that that Blizzard in their infinite wisdom reduced the proc coefficient by 15% at the same. WTF! APoC is our best mechanism to pay for Meteors, so that's like basically the absolute dumbest thing Blizzard could have done. :p One step forward, and one step back at the same time. At a minimum Star Pact needs its proc coefficient raised to 0.125. You know it's pretty sad when people that are doing single target Meteor spamming tend to prefer Liquefy over Star Pact.
Latest datamine changes:

Meteor Cost: 40 Arcane Power / Summon an immense Meteor that plummets from the sky, crashing into enemies for 506% weapon damage as Fire. The ground it hits is scorched with molten fire that deals 169% weapon damage as Fire over 3 seconds.
◦Molten Impact : Increases the damage of the Meteor impact to 2504% weapon damage as Fire and the molten fire to 836% weapon damage as Fire over 3 seconds. / Adds a 15 second cooldown.

◦Meteor Shower : Unleash a volley of 7 small Meteors that each strike for 230% weapon damage as Fire.

◦Comet : Summon a Comet that deals 583% weapon damage as Cold and has a 20% chance to freeze enemies for 1 second upon impact. / The impact site is covered in a freezing mist that deals 195% weapon damage as Cold and Slows enemy movement by 60% over 3 seconds.

◦Lightning Bind : If the initial impact causes a Critical Hit, the electrified Meteor duration is increased to 8 seconds and enemies are rooted for 4 seconds. / Meteor's damage turns into Lightning.

I'm still digesting all the datamine changes but my initial reaction to this is pretty much "woohoo!"

-A nice damage buff across the board on base meteor damage! Almost doubled!

-Molten Impact: Still not as cool as Pulsar but at least the 3s DoT damage is way up from what it was. The DoT quality is hugely important when you have such a long cooldown like this.

-Meteor Shower: More than double damage per meteor! Pure awesome here.

-Comet: Still holding to pretty much the same formula as before. Still seems pretty underwhelming as damage (778%) really lags behind the others despite higher base damage.

-Lightning Bind: Same as it was but with a slightly longer root time on crit. Still looks strong but not quite so dominant over the other runes now.

I like that they've gone and made the runes that are meant to do more damage, actually do a lot more damage. Before it was Molten (480%) vs Shower (728%) vs Liquefy (420%). Now it's Molten (3300% /w cooldown) vs Shower (1610%) vs Liquefy (957% w/ root). The choices are a little more deliberate.

-dolynick
10/22/2013 07:44 AMPosted by dolynick
I'm still digesting all the datamine changes but my initial reaction to this is pretty much "woohoo!"

OMG those dmg buffs!
(*prays for good procs*)

Also, Spark, Scorch and Frozen Orb all sound sooo tantalizing!