[Guide] - Max EXP/hr in Patch 1.0.8 (solo)

Monk
Prev 1 7 8 9
I try to kill elites as soon as possible because they mess with the kill cycle. What I do is group the elites together with a big mob. The EP explosion chain usually damage the elites quite a bit. For Goblins, I still go out of my way to kill them because of the gold drops.
While I do not use Druin's build, but a more traditional TR build, and do not level up as quickly as he does, mainly because I kill everything and still pick up many rares (always the optimist), I have a lot of experience rushing in act 2 and I thought I'd share my findings in this thread.

Act 1 is indeed better than act 2 xp-wise. I'd say it gives 10-15% more xp per hour. But mainly it's easier, because act 2 contains a few monsters which can be a real pain when using WoL, which is considered as a "projectile" attack.

Namely: Rock Giants and Dervishes (Sokhar is especially dangerous is this regard) can reflect your WoL and when they do you usually die, because you can't absorb 50+k of dmg. And getting one-shot is not fun.

Morevover the Storm Halls contain a lot of Toxic Constructs which are often found in packs by themselves, without skeletons around them to trigger your LS before you hit them. Even when trying to get them from a distance using WoL, you'll get a lot of incoming dmg from the poisonous explosion they release upon their death.

Act 1 on the other is a lot easier to manage.

I'd say the difference between the two acts amounts to 2 MP levels, that is, say you clear act 2 easily on MP5, then you can do the same in act 1 on MP7.

So, conversely, if one wants to use Druin's build in act 2, one probably needs more eHP than in act 1.

I hope those pieces of information will be of help.

Best regards.
Have you tried more extensive priming of the Crypt? I.e. letting the Mothers spawn two/three times before going on killing spree? Read that it was worth it for group farming, but not sure for solo play...
Hey great build! I'm gearing over from Tempest Rush so my EHP is a bit low and I have to run on MP5. That said, I just got toast for 90 mobs with one blow :D

Please would you add some notes on gearing to this post or the more build-specific post? I loved what you did on the TR guide. What do you think of IAS for this one, seems it wouldn't help much?
Thanks for the guide :)

In one of your videos you could have saved the enlightenment shrine, and then taken the waypoint back from festering to the second level of DC netting you the extra experience throughout decaying crypt.
- Just adding my 5c to improve your technique
12/13/2013 02:37 AMPosted by Nixor
Thanks for the guide :)

In one of your videos you could have saved the enlightenment shrine, and then taken the waypoint back from festering to the second level of DC netting you the extra experience throughout decaying crypt.
- Just adding my 5c to improve your technique

Thanks! I am really glad to enjoyed the guide.
Hey Druin, love your vids but got some questions. In an old vid you run with Crippling wave which I use now and can manage mp7 so far with around 125k dps, 500 res and 45k hp. But now you use FoT and I can see that your crit is high but my crit is only 46% would that be enough? Tried it but feel like I am dying to much. Would ofc love to do mp10 but not sure what I need to upgrade for it to work. More hp and res maybe?

Thanks again for making me try a monk and finding my way back to D3!
Imo there is no big difference between FoT and CW for FoM runs, so don't worry about that. I hope you only use the soj for getting the elites, after that a good hellfire or a litany is a better choice.

For your gear, I'd try to squeeze a bit more vit in somewhere while focusing on DPS:
- Cold res on head is a wasted affix, get vit/all res/armor/life%/phys res instead
- Get some vit on your pants
- Get SOJ with WoL cc for getting the NV stacks faster
- Get cc on Nat ring
- Higher dex on amu, gloves, chest, boots and bracers
Just wanted to say thanks for the guide. Coming back after along break with a little balance left when I sold all of my stuff and this looked like the most fun from the videos. So far it's been a blast.
I have no idea whats wrong....I mean i am playing on mp4 which i can do quite well with whatever build...thing is I cant generate spirit that well like druin does in crypts for example...am i doing something wrong i ran out of spirit very quickly @_@ ....any tips or hints?
FREE BUMP FOR NICE GUIDE!!
I LOVE this guide. Lot of work and effort was put into it. Will be bookmarking it and using it as a reference as much as possible! Thank you very much for taking the time to make this.
02/03/2014 11:33 PMPosted by HellSentMe75
I LOVE this guide. Lot of work and effort was put into it. Will be bookmarking it and using it as a reference as much as possible! Thank you very much for taking the time to make this.

Thank you very much for the kind words.

It is truly my pleasure to help out where and when I can!

If you have any other questions that I might be able to help with, just let me know.

<3