FPS crippled: Physics Breakable Objects

Mac Technical Support
I am resurrecting this issue because physics of breakable objects seems to be the easiest to reproduce and single largest drop in FPS I've experienced since I've first started playing the game at launch. This issue has not improved, to my memory, and at best, it's still a huge problem.
Some time ago this thread was created, but it's been out of date for ages:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6413023608?page=2

Two ways to reproduce:
1. More time consuming: Fire bomb Flash Fire in a place such as Keep in Act 3. Find some rooms with 20+ breakable objects and break them.

2. Even easier: Zero Dogs in town.

2.1 Set max foreground FPS to 60.
2.2 Start a game and stand in town. I recommend Act 2, very little going on. Check to see if 60 fps is more or less stable.
2.3 Run around town, does the FPS dip significantly? If so, lower the resolution. Try again.
2.4 Have zero dogs with more than 2.0 attacks per second: 34+ second cooldown to zombie dogs final gift + the tribal rights, gruesome feast, and zombie handler passives, like in my profile.

2.5 Just hold down summon zombie dogs. There may be some drop in FPS while you continually summon zombie dogs. Note what it is. For me, it goes from 60 fps steady to about 30~35 FPS. One place of performance hit, easy to reproduce.

2.6 Stop and confirm FPS goes back to 60. This makes sure there was no overheating.

2.7 Now hold down summon zombie dogs and repeatedly tap sacrifice to perform the ritual of blowing up your dogs. Chunks of black canine carcasses go flying in all directions, much like when barrels blow up. This time though, my FPS is crippled. I see around 12~16 FPS on any frame rate update.

2.8 Stop and confirm FPS goes back to 60. This makes sure there was no overheating. In my case, yes, it goes back to 60 fps steady.

My setup:
Note my normal desktop resolution is 1680x1050, but when I run at that resolution full screen, Diablo 3 just can't keep up. So for months I've been playing at 1248x780 and it's made a significant difference.
Note: In the D3Prefs.txt: Setting DisableTrilinearFiltering "1" made a small, but noticeable bump in FPS.
Changing the Hardware Class from my default 3 to 2 or 1 did not appear to improve anything, in fact "1" appeared to be worse due to lower minimum FPS during steps 2.5 and 2.7 above.

First, D3Prefs.txt:
DisplayModeWidth "1248"
DisplayModeHeight "780"
ShadowQuality "0"
PhysicsQuality "0"
ClutterQuality "0"
Vsync "0"
Letterbox "0"
Antialiasing "0"
LowFX "1"
DisableTrilinearFiltering "1"
HardwareClass "3"
PCIVendor "4098"
PCIDevice "26433"

GPU specs:
Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.23
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573

Macbook pro and OS specs:
System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.2

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f4
The physics portion of the engine is a known culprit for poor performance. We're all keeping our fingers crossed that the next big patch puts in some improvements, primarily multicore functionality since the game is only supported on multicore systems anyway.

Until then, all we can really do is put physics on Low and hope for the best. Or build a Hackintosh to overcome some of the problem via brute force. I'm going the latter route anyway since the TrashCan Pro is going to blow for gaming due to thermal constraints and being saddled with FirePro cards.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
Considering they haven't already done it, it must be difficult.

Also, not supporting concurrent threads is like the dark ages of monolithic computing...

Nothing quite like brute force to overcome an obstacle.
More Power!
Considering they haven't already done it, it must be difficult.

Also, not supporting concurrent threads is like the dark ages of monolithic computing...

Nothing quite like brute force to overcome an obstacle.
More Power!

There's one person right now that takes care of the OS X game clients. One person for four games. And he's working on the Battle.net Desktop Application as well. Trust me, he knows what he wants to get done, but one person can only do so much in any given time period.
Blizzard has one person to fix crippling performance issues for an entire slice of customers?

This isn't a crowd-sourced Indie title.
10/28/2013 05:30 PMPosted by TheTias
There's one person right now that takes care of the OS X game clients. One person for four games. And he's working on the Battle.net Desktop Application as well. Trust me, he knows what he wants to get done, but one person can only do so much in any given time period.

If that's true then wow, just wow, I'm at a loss for other words.
Blizzard has one person to fix crippling performance issues for an entire slice of customers?

This isn't a crowd-sourced Indie title.

It's also rather hard to find Mac programmers these days. Keep in mind that iOS has cannibalized the lion's share of those programming for Apple devices. There are actually fewer Mac programmers around now then there were years ago.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=130003H

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=13000BX

Trust me, nobody wants to fill those positions more than Blizzard. And if I had programming experience that matched the criteria I'd seriously consider it if I didn't have to take care of my grandpa.

It's the Cocoa and Clang API requirments that are the bottlenecks to filling these positions. It's easy to find programmers for Carbon apps, but much less so for pure Cocoa apps, which will be required going forward if Blizzard is to drop SL support and move on to more modern tech.
Good news I tested in the PTR (not RoS beta):
They did add multi thread support. I saw over "200%" cpu usage in OS X 10.9 activity monitor, which means, for example, at 250%, it's using two and half CPUs more or less.

Most importantly, my FPS was up significantly from the vanilla D3 when I do the Zero Dogs explosion test. My FPS at first glance is very high, 50+fps, unless I over heat my laptop.

Mostly I didn't see dog body parts flying all over the place when I put the effects down to low/off.