i have no interest in transmog

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 25 Next
10/29/2013 05:26 PMPosted by Lylirra
Okay, so stupid question: Will I have access to the appearances of the identified legends I already have, or will I have to find/craft new ones to gains those appearances?

Not stupid at all.

Legacy Legendaries that are already identified will definitely not unlock an appearance. We're still determining whether or not unidentified legacy Legendaries will work the same way/have the same restriction. Once that decision is made, we'll be sure to let everyone know. I'd definitely recommend checking out [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11337855/"]Vaeflare's blog[/url] in the meantime; lots of great details in there!

FYI: legacy (in this case) = items that drop before the pre-expansion patch goes live.

I'd personally prefer if no current Legendary (Unid or not) would unlock appearances, that way appearances are a little special instead of anyone being able to stock up on them now and get them right away come RoS.

Also, I hope transmog gets a toggle off feature (if off, you see items' original appearance) - part of the fun in public games is seeing other players' tactics such as gear changing. If all their gear looks the same that would really have a negative impact on my public game experience.
10/29/2013 04:49 PMPosted by Lylirra
Cosmetic slots are pretty sweet! Though, perhaps not the best solution for Diablo III specifically. We feel the transmogrification system is a little more robust and a lot easier for players to maintain, especially in terms of item management.

I can definitely appreciate not having to hoard items just for transmog, so thanks for that, but I still dont see transmog being "worth" the binding of gear, which I guess is my primary reason for disliking the way the system is currently configured.

I'd personally prefer if no current Legendary (Unid or not) would unlock appearances, that way appearances are a little special instead of anyone being able to stock up on them now and get them right away come RoS.

I completely disagree. Why penalize someone who finds them now? What does it matter to you if someone saves a few legendaries to have ready for transmog?

Finding future transmog legendaries gives a new excitement for pre expansion loot hunting. Currently, there are very few types of rare items to pick up, and a minority of legendaries that are really powerful.

I am currently storing up items. This afternoon, I dropped a 1hand crossbow. Seeing as I've still never dropped a good calamity (the weapon I've always wanted to main), I got real excited. I pick it up and realize its a Dawn. The dawn is useless, I know its an automatic brimstone. Now, saving for transmog, I atleast get excited to know I can use it for future transmog. Into the mule account it goes.

Allowing us to save them now, gives a small amount of excitement in seeing that wonderful beam of light drop again.
Speaking of which, why doesn't the demon hunter have a helm like the concept art final stage? With the horns and stuff. You guys basically made the ultimate set, and then didn't use it.
The Natalya set does have a helm with horns.. But it looks very silly compared to what is shown in the concept art, and the set is nowhere nearly as armoured as that artwork. The male version of the set looks more like he's wearing a waiter's waistcoat with a stupid horned masquerade mask and a cape.
I would agree with you about showing off rares if that didnt mean your toon looked like complete butt. I have knowingly given up some character power because I cannot stand how the cookie cutter barb gear setup looks. blue stripper shorts, black chest, dark blue boots, with a nice samurai helm to top it off. Looks like a very colorblind,confused overweight samurai got lost in a horror movie.

Transmog lets us look cool while wearing cool gear. Win-win.

Also with the thing about binding legendaries, the one thing i like about that is that means theres a ready market for trash legendaries. got a low roll sword? Sell it cheap to some guy for transmog. Beats vendoring it.
There's finally a really cool feature being added to the game and people complain?!! I don't get it. People ask for lame things like unnecessary death penalties and pointless items, but when it comes to great features they say they don't want it. Hey devs, please DO NOT listen to these kind of people. They want the game to fail and most of us want it to be even better than it already is. Please do transmog as planned. I have items that are the same design and color and I want to change them, but you can't with dyes. Hopefully we can alter and customize more in ROS!
Okay, so stupid question: Will I have access to the appearances of the identified legends I already have, or will I have to find/craft new ones to gains those appearances?

Not stupid at all.

Legacy Legendaries that are already identified will definitely not unlock an appearance. We're still determining whether or not unidentified legacy Legendaries will work the same way/have the same restriction. Once that decision is made, we'll be sure to let everyone know. I'd definitely recommend checking out [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11337855/"]Vaeflare's blog[/url] in the meantime; lots of great details in there!

FYI: legacy (in this case) = items that drop before the pre-expansion patch goes live.

I know my opinion doesn't hold much weight, but I wouldn't let unidentified legacy items unlock appearances. Let everyone earn them after the overhaul.
Not sure if it was mentioned before, how about Transmogrification Plans? Say I want to increase the options (library) how items can look, so I go to find Transmog plans or trade if I have more than I need. Similar to other plans.
does anyone really care how pretty my character looks?
this seems like little girls playing doll dressup

Tons of people. It's the entire foundation that makes a game like Path of Exile possible since they don't offer pay to win purchase options in a free to play game.

I could personally care less about transmog as well. Sorry, PoE, there's no way you'll ever get a dime from me regardless of how much time I put into your game. But I know there's a HUGE demand for playing dressup as you so affectionately put it.

It seems entirely possible that people like us are in the minority.
I think the feature just highlights Blizzard's failure to develop a unique identity for the game's art style and item/armor design.

Yeah function should be a primary driver for your item choices, but people don't overlook aesthetics and we should never have to cover up an item because it looks bad or it doesn't match your outfit. Items should NEVER look out of place no matter what combination of pieces you put on.

Ever play a little game called Skyrim? Notice how Norse mythology is the driving force and inspiration behind every single item design? Not once in my thousand hours of playing TES: V did I ever even ONCE consider or think to myself "Jeez I wish I could hide this item"; And the reason is simple, a common design influence just makes every single piece fit so well together.

If Blizzard had decided not to discontinue the gothic European vibe the series had to it, there wouldn't be any need for such a silly Band-Aid feature. Instead they took the WoW approach, and just make every single item set as flashy and epic looking as possible and what you end up with are a bunch of sets that look atrocious when they're not fully complete.

• Reducing the number of items that drop, but improving their overall quality

• Narrowing stat ranges on items (example: instead of rolling 1-100 an item might now roll 80-100)

• Breaking item stats into two separate categories -- Primary (stats that directly improve your character's power) and Secondary (stats that provide utility) -- that can roll independently of one another to help avoid scenarios where a stat like Pick-Up Radius is having to compete with stats like Attack Speed or +%damage

In the end, transmogrification is simply one small part of a much larger picture. We hope you'll enjoy the result. :)

I'm really glad you are taking care of screen clutter and the astronomical odds of finding something decent among the clutter. Separating affixes into primary and secondary, or something similar conceptually, absolutely must be part of the loot 2.0 solution along with more / cooler legendaries, smart drops, etc.

Of course more endgame content is cool (loot runs, adventure mode etc.)but hopefully you don't neglect pre 60 or 70 content for people like me more rerolling a lot of HC heroes.
i want less wow stuff
and more diablo stuff

We’ve no plans to suddenly starting adding features from World of Warcraft simply because they’re from World of Warcraft. We based transmogrification in Diablo III on the working model we have for World of Warcraft, yes, but the impetus for adding it wasn't because "it's in World of Warcraft, therefore it should be in Diablo III"; it was because (we feel) it provides a meaningful service to players, one that's at present missing and has been repeatedly asked for. It's not just a direct port, either; we've made several changes to the system to ensure that it makes sense within Sanctuary and fits the D3 game model.

So, the process is kind of like this:

- Identify an issue or area that needs improvement > Discuss solutions > Is the best possible solution based on World of Warcraft? > Yes. > Okay, let’s tailor it to Diablo III.

OR

- Identify an issue or area that needs improvement > Discuss solutions > Is the best possible solution based on a mechanic from World of Warcraft? > No. > Okay, cool. Let’s do something else.

NOT this:

- Let’s arbitrarily add a World of Warcraft feature to Diablo III > Does it make sense to add this feature or solve any issues? > lol, no > Find excuses to add it anyway.

It's all about having an issue to address or a role to fill first then developing a feature to fit, not vice-versa. :)

Thank you! It's really not a hard concept to grasp!

You'll still be wrong though no matter what you do, just an FYI. =P

We're still determining whether or not unidentified legacy Legendaries will work the same way/have the same restriction.

I would say that if I were voting I would vote AGAINST current legacy items unlocking appearances for several reasons.

1) It creates a feeling of angst because every time I get a Legendary now I will want to hoard it instead of identify it. This kind of upsets me because I've only found one of some Legendary types that I will likely not find again so easily like set items.

2) For the reasons stated in #1, it will cause us to feel resentful for our current Stash Space (Or lack thereof) since we will want to just fill it with UNID Legendaries.

3) It defeats the purpose of finding new Legendaries again. Because let's face it, no two legendary items will ever be created equal. There will always be those instant brimstones like Promise of Glory, Ivory Tower, and the Hellrack so finding a new one in the expansion won't serve a proper secondary purpose.

4) You'll just open the game up to more scams by players trying to "sell" (or trade) UNID items. The community generally has pretty knee jerk reactions to these kinds of things.

Now the one positive might be that some people might be motivated to log in and hunt for UNID's, but really they're logging in for the wrong reasons.

The right decision in this case would just be to make Legacy Items NOT count.

Let everyone earn them after the overhaul.

Why? What is the point of hurting players who decide to hunt some now? Read my earlier post, about how this transmog hunting is bringing atleast some enjoyment into finding legendaries!

Please, give a reason why players shouldn't be able to hunt them now? Do you want all players to start on fair ground at the expansion? Guess what, that won't happen, in a day, power players and cunning traders will have tons of them identified anyways. (Things might be more even in ladder for a bit).
10/29/2013 05:16 PMPosted by Lylirra
Breaking item stats into two separate categories -- Primary (stats that directly improve your character's power) and Secondary (stats that provide utility) -- that can roll independently of one another to help avoid scenarios where a stat like Pick-Up Radius is having to compete with stats like Attack Speed or +%damage

Now this is something new I haven't heard of.

Could you elaborate slightly more on this point or do I have to wait until Blizzcon!?

If I'm understanding correctly, this means that something like Indestructible is no longer a "wasted roll" because all items will roll at least some type of utility stat? If so, that's pretty freaking awesome if you ask me.
I support transmorg. I am actually excited I will finally be able to customize my characters looks without gimping my stats. I am looking forward to all the changes. I actually hated this game up until a month or two ago when you made all the big announcements. I have since returned and been working on paragon levels, acheivements and leveling all my alts.

I'm very optimistic for the future of Diablo 3.

We could use a couple extra slots though. I would like room for one or two hardcore characters along with having one of each(male and female) softcore character. I hate deleting my softcores just to play hardcore. =(

Let everyone earn them after the overhaul.

Why? What is the point of hurting players who decide to hunt some now? Read my earlier post, about how this transmog hunting is bringing atleast some enjoyment into finding legendaries!

Please, give a reason why players shouldn't be able to hunt them now? Do you want all players to start on fair ground at the expansion? Guess what, that won't happen, in a day, power players and cunning traders will have tons of them identified anyways. (Things might be more even in ladder for a bit).

Lol. Why not?

Droth already made a few valid points.

People should earn them after the update, plain and simple.
if u want transmog go and play WoW. d3 doesn't have anywhere near the lasting appeal to interest anyone in transmog. people will probably be done with the expansion in under 20 hours, excluding those people that want to play it the next 3 times on the following difficulty levels.
10/29/2013 06:57 PMPosted by DrothVader
1) It creates a feeling of angst because every time I get a Legendary now I will want to hoard it instead of identify it. This kind of upsets me because I've only found one of some Legendary types that I will likely not find again so easily like set items.

2) For the reasons stated in #1, it will cause us to feel resentful for our current Stash Space (Or lack thereof) since we will want to just fill it with UNID Legendaries.

These are valid points, but I disagree. I have been saving legendary items this week. I also found my first Natalya's chest piece. It was a no brainer, to ID. I'll get lots of enjoyment out of it now. If I happen to find a new one, then I have a choice to make. Basically I see your "angst" as a fun decision.

You may be short on stash space and see them as a waste of that space. I view them as the purpose to having space right now. I know most my level 60 items are going to be worthless come expansion (after some grinding), so I have plenty of room cleared.

What is with the plural on #2?

3) It defeats the purpose of finding new Legendaries again. Because let's face it, no two legendary items will ever be created equal. There will always be those instant brimstones like Promise of Glory, Ivory Tower, and the Hellrack so finding a new one in the expansion won't serve a proper secondary purpose.

Currently finding an instant brimstone has zero purpose. I am enjoying seeing the orange beams of light again, knowing this "insta-brim" legendary atleast looks cool, and is worth muling.

(I thought all legendaries were getting reworked in the expansion anyways right, like how 1.04 legendaries were improved? Wouldnt that be a new reason to find them then come RoS? I should check further into the data mined info..just nervous about spoilers)

4) You'll just open the game up to more scams by players trying to "sell" (or trade) UNID items. The community generally has pretty knee jerk reactions to these kinds of things

I don't think a smaller amount of ignorant people possibly getting scammed should be a reason our legacy items are useless for transmog come RoS.

Anyways, good points! I'm glad to see someone back their opinions with reasoning, instead of just saying stupid things like "People should earn them after the update, plain and simple."

Late EDIT: I didn't want to make a new post. I have no problem if you're against saving legendaries for transmog, but what is the purpose of not allowing others to do so? How does some people getting an early start on this 100% aesthetic feature effect those who decide to wait for RoS?
10/29/2013 07:11 PMPosted by Judgedredd
if u want transmog go and play WoW. d3 doesn't have anywhere near the lasting appeal to interest anyone in transmog. people will probably be done with the expansion in under 20 hours, excluding those people that want to play it the next 3 times on the following difficulty levels.

I think you're underestimating the longevity loot runs/nephalem trials will bring. They(Maps) are a hit in PoE. A great feature that I would hope all furture ARPGs adopt in some manner.

When you add that amount longevity(Loot runs, no auction house, etc) character looks become important to a lot of players.

edit: add Unlimited Paragon Levels. Lots of content there. You could play this game forever.
10/29/2013 07:21 PMPosted by Wheresmymind
(I thought all legendaries were getting reworked in the expansion anyways right, like how 1.04 legendaries were improved? Wouldnt that be a new reason to find them then come RoS? I should check further into the data mined info..just nervous about spoilers)

Well, that is the intention.

But I don't know... most of the "awesome" items touted in the last legendary update like Maximus ended up being really lackluster and frankly worthless.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/maximus

I mean it has a really awesome effect, but it's so weak compared to a Skorn.

Or even The Grandfather which is a really cool looking sword ends up being worthless as well.

I mean, I have some faith that it could be pulled off looking at the datamined notes, but I always reserve some sort of pessimistic outlook because I know that Blizzard has been less than stellar on delivering new features that really live up to the hype. That and I am predisposed to pessimism. =P

I'm glad to see someone post opinions, instead of just saying "No, don't make them count", even though I happen to disagree :)

Well, these are discussion boards after all. It's extremely useful to both the development and community teams if we provide them with ample feedback and diversified discussions rather than make them fish for it.

Trust me, they love it when the community can hold a civil discussion while at the same time disagreeing with each other. It exposes more view points that can be weighed and considered. One of the best things you can do if you want to influence positive change is to remain civil in your dissent.

I find myself at odds with Blizzard just as often as I agree with decisions they have made. The main difference between what sets great posters apart from the ones that generally get ignored (or sometimes banned for misconduct) is the ability to hold a discussion with someone you don't agree with.

If we as a community learned to communicate with each other better, we might just see more constant communication from Blizzard.