saving lives

General Discussion
i dont know about any one else, but in many games where there are allied NPCs that are under attack, i always try to save them.

even if there supposedly supposed to die "because of the number of enemies etc" its just something that ive found can be fun to try.

example the militia in the cathedral, you sometimes find them fighting the undead but die once you get in a set range or what ever triggers it.

even then, playing the hero i feel that its just something you have to try and do, but i dont want them to follow me just because like in Act 3 there should be an option to dismiss or take the person back home.

any one else feel this way with being able to save some of the doomed npcs or sending them home?
Yah but it's hard when you have to deal with too many monsters and you can't save everyone. You can either be the one that tries to save everyone and fails and feels bad for it, or you can be the one that doesn't care and lets them all die so you don't have to feel bad : (
Saving and keeping alive the npc's in a3 tower, which are being mind controlled by the succubi, is always fun. They throw their little punches all the way to the end of the map then they wimp out.
There's that soldier at Rakkis Crossing who's trapped under debris. I always feel SOOOOO bad when he dies after hanging out with my follower and me for some time.

I got to the point where I sometimes just left him under the debris, thinking, "Man, if I save him, he's gonna get impaled to death by Bloodclan Spearmen sooner or later. It's better off I just leave him there and hopefully he'll dig his way out eventually."

And then sometimes a stray projectile will blow the debris off him, prompting the soldier to follow me and I go, "NOOOO STAY BACK!"

If something like that happens, usually I'll work my butt off trying to keep him alive if I'm going south from the Rakkis waypoint to Fields of Slaughter. By the time I get to the end of Rakkis Crossing, I portal back to town and take the Bridge waypoint so he can't follow me.
Twitter: @Jaetch
There's that soldier at Rakkis Crossing who's trapped under debris. I always feel SOOOOO bad when he dies after hanging out with my follower and me for some time.

I got to the point where I sometimes just left him under the debris, thinking, "Man, if I save him, he's gonna get impaled to death by Bloodclan Spearmen sooner or later. It's better off I just leave him there and hopefully he'll dig his way out eventually."

And then sometimes a stray projectile will blow the debris off him, prompting the soldier to follow me and I go, "NOOOO STAY BACK!"

If something like that happens, usually I'll work my butt off trying to keep him alive if I'm going south from the Rakkis waypoint to Fields of Slaughter. By the time I get to the end of Rakkis Crossing, I portal back to town and take the Bridge waypoint so he can't follow me.

lol i remember i tried to do this last year, when i didn't know how the Saviour achievement works.
I thought...hey what if i save this little soldier, will it count towards that achieve?
So...I proceeded to kill all monsters and carefully not call that soldier.
Then i walked back, took him with me for a walk all the way to Siegebreaker portal.
Needless to say i was like "Whyyyyyyyyy? " all that trouble and it didn't register for the achievement.

I tried with the men enslaved by succubi, but more often than not they'd end up 1-shot by other critters.
10/28/2013 03:33 PMPosted by Tornado
when i didn't know how the Saviour achievement works.

I still don't know how it works.

I got the achievement not too long ago. Made no sense to me. It didn't seem like my teammates were dying (we all pretty much outgeared the game's content). I just... got it... randomly during the middle of a fight.

I know a while back the game popped a message up saying something like Savior - saved someone's life with X% or something, I don't know. Then your teammate dies a split second later anyway, so what's the point xD
10/28/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Jaetch
when i didn't know how the Saviour achievement works.

I still don't know how it works.

I got the achievement not too long ago. Made no sense to me. It didn't seem like my teammates were dying (we all pretty much outgeared the game's content). I just... got it... randomly during the middle of a fight.

I know a while back the game popped a message up saying something like Savior - saved someone's life with X% or something, I don't know. Then your teammate dies a split second later anyway, so what's the point xD

The other guy has to get under 5% of his total health, after which you kill all mobs around him.
I won't spoil anyone as to how to farm it.

Speaking of other times we'd save lives, i totally hated it when i came with a pack of 10+ refugees after me and the quest in Caldeum autofinishes and doesn't record them over 20 for achieve. Took me some tries to get it done.
10/28/2013 02:30 PMPosted by KORD
i dont know about any one else, but in many games where there are allied NPCs that are under attack, i always try to save them.

You're not alone. I tend to try and save as many npc's as I can, too. On your way to Wortham Chapel there is that villager who wants you to save his family in the cellar, and Leah warns him not to run off or he'll get himself killed. Well, I always run way ahead of him and clear the way as best I can in an effort to save the fool.
10/28/2013 07:22 PMPosted by Grimiku
save the fool

LOL, yeah they're a bright bunch, eh? :-)
10/28/2013 03:18 PMPosted by UMF
Saving and keeping alive the npc's in a3 tower, which are being mind controlled by the succubi, is always fun. They throw their little punches all the way to the end of the map then they wimp out.

really? I find it kind of depressing since they follow you into the depths of the earth until they die.
That guy in Wortham
The weird guys in Act 3 being mind-controlled
And perhaps most of all the angels in Act IV

THEY ALL MUST LIVE.
the other thing for me is, that using health globes etc does not effect these guys ether, once they lost that health thats it its gone, but in D2 you could use your skills or something to help them recover life.

loved it in D2 when you find the wondering barbarian warriors and you could have an army of like 8 of them marching along with you, always did my best to use whatever skills i could to keep them alive because they kicked royal azz and were very useful, was always fun running around with them, even as another barbarian.

it would be awesome if we could have something like that only expanded where you can actually interact with NPCs that you "save" and ether make them an actual follower to a lesser degree or tell them to head back to X because you got this area covered.
In beta I once saved a villager fighting a grotesque in the cathedral. After the fight was done, I watched him walk off into the sunset, so to speak. It was awesome.

But yeah, I do try to save as many NPCs as I can, especially in Act 3. I've also try to stay away from the archers on Bastion Keep's battlements so as to keep the pterodactyl demons from swooping down on them.
yeah it would have been nice if you could stop the flyers from taking the archers, maybe not all of them but some.

for me it would be an extra thing to do as the hero to pull a superman and save everyone.
a good way to add extra depth to a great game that just needs more to do.

it would be nice to know were having an impact on the game, i really liked heading back to caldeum after killing belial to see all the citizens cheering, it was a nice touch, would be good to see the npcs you save doing the same or similar.

come on blizzard give us some free areas to play in please, the game as it is is not very big and grinding for all the legendaries but the ones i need is getting harder and harder to do. please dont just use the expansion to add depth.

little challenges like saving the npcs, sending them back to town to see them again and making events more in depth than just another fight, maybe even opening up a new area to play in

ie; Diablo 1 and Hellfire, 4 levels at a time over 5 updates. Cow level, make it huge and a bit more in depth. just a few small things.
please?
It always depresses me that we can never save any of the poor archers or soldiers who get grabbed by the annoying flyers.
You're not alone. I am forever trying to save them. I guess if you want to feel heroic , go back and do it on normal and save everyone with your inferno character. I've gotten the succubi guys pretty far on mp5 inferno, but that was with a 4 party group pretty much focused on keeping them safe.
10/29/2013 01:34 AMPosted by StoneOld
really? I find it kind of depressing since they follow you into the depths of the earth until they die.

Not always so.

Sometimes, if you keep them alive, they'll get to the end of the map and tell you that they're sorry friend, but that they have to get out of there or they'll lose their minds. lol.

Oh really? I'm going to have to be more vigilant in keeping them alive!