AU/NZ Crypt Run Group & Resources

Aus/NZ General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 14 Next
11/22/2013 03:36 PMPosted by rkelly
Just a tip for you Monks that run crypts, Cyclone Strike + Palm = WIN! Monks with no palm...get it. Sick of these lame excuses "I don't like playing with Palm". Get over it, you're in crypt runs! Palm = Fastest way to kill !@#$ in there (if the dps kill the palmed mobs that is).

You need to understand that everyone has different play styles... I was one that said i dont like playing with palm and i dont... you get over the fact not everyone has to play YOUR playstyle....
Thanks soooo much for stickying this. Now Mugsy, you the work starts lol.
11/22/2013 03:55 PMPosted by bob778
What i find is a good way to get people in your game is to open up social and leave a message saying that you have an open crypt SO come and join :D

You do some very nice prep work Defender

Thanks Bob :)

That's what I do, keep social open. BTW had Wiz from my friend list jumped into crypt I was prepping and started clearing mobs out. I asked to not to kill yet as I'm prepping atm, he apologised and left the game. Logged out completely.

Talking about monks - had one in crypt run recently "belling" all the way. You can imagine DH with RF and two CoB WDs setup hot point and... bang, Bell goes on. I made some suggestions in personal chat what be the most efficient skills for monk in a crypt party.

Just in case guys you are reading this, nothing personal, we just trying to max efficiency and get most of the time left before the RoS hits :)
11/22/2013 04:09 PMPosted by Cotea
... you get over the fact not everyone has to play YOUR playstyle....

I welcome knockback in HC as the way to protect myself and my mates when get surrounded, but please, no knockback gear and skills in crypt runs. Ppl wouldn't be happy if I put Windforce on my DH.
CRYPT RUN ROLES AND PROCESS GUIDE

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. What is a crypt run?
2. Roles crypt runners fall into
3. Getting into a crypt run
4. Process for running the crypt

1. WHAT IS A CRYPT RUN?

"Know what it is that you're asking for" - Master Mugsy

A crypt run is an organised team killing spree focused around the Act 1 "Decaying Crypt" area in order to maximise the group's gain of XP.

The Decaying Crypt, due to its high density of Wretched Mothers (the spewing femme zombies), is able to reach insane levels of mob density other areas of the game cannot. As such, a team of crypt runners taking advantage of this game mechanic as well as Nephalem Valor stacks, can gain more XP through preparing and running the crypt properly as a team than tackling the game in it's usual linear format.

There are little things that can be done to add more XP to the run such as luring mobs in Fields of Misery to the Decaying Crypt entrance for slaying after the crypt is run, or prepping the Weeping Hollows which can also have a high density of wretched mothers.

Different groups of players may vary the crypt run process to their liking.

2. ROLES CRYPT RUNNERS FALL INTO

"The team that works together, gains together. The player that works for themselves, gains a kick." - Master Mugsy

Everyone has a part to play in a Crypt Run. So lets start at the beginning of the process, finding the crypt...

- Crypt finder: This has traditionally been the duty of the crypt prepper but all crypt runners can look for a crypt essentially. If you find a crypt, broadcast the number of Crypt Preppers or Woods Preppers you need.

Key Roles

"You fall into one role or the other. Know your role in the Crypt Run" - Master Mugsy

- Crypt Prepper: has geared themselves adequately to prepare a crypt (i.e. low damage, high toughness, high healing). This player runs through the crypt a few times to "tickle" the wretched mothers into spawning more zombies to increase mob density. The crypt prepper will finish the prepping at the start of the Crypt Level 2 where it is usually safe and has no mobs.

- Woods Prepper: All players will get more XP at a higher NV stack. Festering Woods has always had a high density of elites. Woods Preppers will weaken (and only weaken, NOT KILL) the elites in the area so that when all players are ready to gain NV stacks, everyone goes to the Woods together and gain the NV stacks together.

Smaller Roles

"Added value = Added XP" - Master Mugsy

If there is already a player prepping the crypt and Woods Prepping is progressing well with just two (or even one) players, a fourth player can attempt one of the following:

- FoM Prepper: This is where a high toughness player draws mobs to the crypt entrance in the Fields of Misery. Do take note that the crypt prepper may have done this already before running the crypt.

- Hollows Prepper: A second prepper could trigger off the wretched mothers in the Weeping Hollows and lure mobs back to the town entrance from the weeping hollows. Prep by waypointing to the cemetary and run back to town, taking mobs with you and tickling the wretched mothers. Do this a few times and the Hollows should add a nice bunch of xp.

3. GETTING INTO A CRYPT RUN

Being a team oriented killing spree, you'll obviously need to get into a party. There are two main ways of doing this: via the crypt channel, or adding crypt runners to your Friends list (or do both!)

4. PROCESS FOR RUNNING THE CRYPT

"Know the path and you shall get where you want to go" - Master Mugsy

a) Get a good bunch of crypt runners into your friends list and/or get into the crypt channel (see section 5 above)

b) Find a crypt and assemble a team for prepping the crypt and prepping the woods by either broadcasting via your status or through the channel how many crypt and/or woods preppers you're after. Any free players around will likely respond.

OR

You could be lucky to be invited to a crypt run where someone has found the crypt. But don't expect a free lunch and do make an effort to helping find the crypt ;-)

N.B. Some players are assembling their teams first before everyone goes to search for a crypt. This is cool too.

c) Either prep the crypt or prep the woods... or if this is being done sufficiently, prep the FoM or Weeping Hollows.

d) When the crypt is prepped, the crypt prepper may need to change characters and will ask someone to TP to their location at start of the Crypt Level 2. Who ever does that cannot use their portal from that point onwards. It's best not to leave the crypt until the crypt prepper comes back so that there are two players who can portal to the crypt level 2 after gaining NV stacks (in the event the player with the Crypt lvl2 portal disconnects for whatever reasone) ).

e) When things are prepped, go to Woods to gain NV stacks as a team. The team can reach 3-5 NV stacks depending on elite packs that have spawned.

f) After gaining stacks, head to the Crypt Level 2 (portal for those with it, TP via banner for other players), run the crypt, and enjoy the Paragon level ups.

g) Run FoM or Weeping Hollows for extra XP.

h) Lather, rinse and repeat. Always repeat ;-)

To go back to start of the crypt run resource guide, click here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10433163735?page=1#1
11/22/2013 04:39 PMPosted by Septimus
Now Mugsy, you the work starts lol

And done!

Don't have time to proof read though so if anyone finds a spelling mistake or grammatical error... TOUGH :-P

lol
11/22/2013 06:37 PMPosted by Mugsy
"Lets Kill $h!t!" - YDFWM, the originatory of the Crypt Channel

Yo Mugsy your time and effort is noted.
NIce work on crypts from those I have run with on this thread :) Keep up the community, it makes for a great way to make new friends
11/22/2013 09:29 PMPosted by YDFWM
Yo Mugsy your time and effort is noted.

No probs mate. Just doing my part for the community.

Now, off to enjoy a bag of jelly babies at the movies ;-)
Terrific work Mugsy. Just one suggestion to making this better for everyone and easier for you.

Make the OP the roster and create a new thread or threads for guides/resources that are currently in it.

Finding other players for crypt runs is THE one thing that everyone visiting this thread so far is interested in. Not only will it make it easier for people to find other players if it is in OP, it will make it easier for you to edit.

If you want, you can have a TL;DR version of the guide, etc you have written up, but I would just create a new post for any new content you have written up and link to it like you have for the existing posts.

Keep it simple otherwise people get lost and you'll create more work for yourself. Hope it helps.
11/22/2013 03:36 PMPosted by rkelly
Just a tip for you Monks that run crypts, Cyclone Strike + Palm = WIN! Monks with no palm...get it. Sick of these lame excuses "I don't like playing with Palm". Get over it, you're in crypt runs! Palm = Fastest way to kill !@#$ in there (if the dps kill the palmed mobs that is).

I agree, EP is hands down one of the most effective skills to have in your bar for crypt runs. Essence Burn is the best rune IMO coz it will slice it's way through a pack of white trash like a hot knife through butter, whereas you have to keep applying TFIW.

But, if someone doesn't want to play that skill that's their choice. If you're recommending EP, that's great. If you're trying to tell others how to play, not so great. I think we should debate effectiveness, but we shouldn't tell others how to play - that's not how we do things here. Feel free to not invite non-EP monks in the first place if you feel that strongly about it or just leave the game if you don't like it. Otherwise, your recommendation is noted and it gets a +1 from me.
Excellent stuff here Mugsy. Great organisation skills, and great suggestions from you Abend.
11/22/2013 04:09 PMPosted by Cotea

You need to understand that everyone has different play styles... I was one that said i dont like playing with palm and i dont... you get over the fact not everyone has to play YOUR playstyle....

Play style....YOU'RE in crypt runs. Play style is kill !@#$ fast and move onto next game. Get over being all this is how I want to play and help out the group. You can play your style in pubs or solo imo.
11/24/2013 12:52 AMPosted by rkelly
Play style....YOU'RE in crypt runs. Play style is kill !@#$ fast and move onto next game. Get over being all this is how I want to play and help out the group. You can play your style in pubs or solo imo.

These are Crypt Runs in Aust/NZ. Here we do things politely and politely doesn't include telling everyone how to play their character. Your suggestions would be taken much more seriously if you made them as suggestions, not as "this is how it must be done".
11/24/2013 01:50 AMPosted by Septimus

These are Crypt Runs in Aust/NZ. Here we do things politely and politely doesn't include telling everyone how to play their character. Your suggestions would be taken much more seriously if you made them as suggestions, not as "this is how it must be done".

Nah it's the way it is coz he was being a !@#$% about it. I don't mind people playing whatever, but when I first told him about it...he went all defensive on me. Hence the post :) moving on, RoS going to change all that :P
I don't know if this has been said before but a few things I have seen that I think is rude play for the person that prepped the crypt.

1 the person that prepped the crypt is point. Don't go of in front of them engaging another pack while they tidy up behind you!

2 if the person that prep leaves and goes to kill the fields go with them and help! Don't go to town and identify items and leave them alone!

3 if they are killing the kW, HELP and if you die port back and help!

I have had players join just for the crypt then sit in town organising there loot while I am alone in the fields, great for them. Then they say GG and log out! GG for who?. I like a full team to get the bonus EXP but feel used by the few players that do this.

Most are good, just venting

Regards
LameDuck
I feel ya LD, but again, it's just what happens when you coop with ppl you don't play with often. I've had all sorts of runs like this, but the worst experience IMO is when you prep FOM and half the group leave after Crypt. Two solutions that will make runs more effective, less angsty and, therefore, more fun:

1. If it's your game, set the rules when ppl join. I can't believe I'm citing Archimonde, but he never has problems in his runs because he copies and pastes his little rules for Crypt Runs when you join his game (1. Route, 2. Run fast, 2. Follow flag of person who prepped). I hope he doesn't see me giving him props...

2. If you join someone else's game, ask: what route? who is leading? how fast? etc,etc. If you don't like the answer, leave. Or, as has happened to me, no one answers your questions...leave :P

Save your sanity and avoid problems from the get go where possible. Plus you'll find yourself very quickly playing more regularly with like-minded players as you get to learn more about preferences, play styles and skill this way.
11/24/2013 02:07 AMPosted by rkelly
Nah it's the way it is coz he was being a !@#$% about it. I don't mind people playing whatever, but when I first told him about it...he went all defensive on me. Hence the post :) moving on, RoS going to change all that :P

Ok. thanks for clearing this up. Lets move on and your right, ROS is going to be great.

@Abend and @LameDuck. You are soooo right too. I had a bad night tonight. After multiple crypt preps, I had randoms coming in, then running amok by themselves, and leaving as soon as we finish the crypt. When I have spent the last 20 minutes finding and prepping the crypt, the last thing I want is for someone to come in and spoil the run. I very nearly called it a night. Thank heavens for some sanity when people i play with regularly came into my game.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

11/23/2013 09:43 PMPosted by abend
Make the OP the roster and create a new thread or threads for guides/resources that are currently in it.

Yeah, I thought about this and also the order of the sections so that the Roster would be up front. Simply put, I didn't think anyone would read up on the etiquette part unless they had to go past it on the way to the Roster.

But I've got an idea. For now, I've stuck the link to the roster post in the quicklinks. Will do the major rearrangement when I get a spare moment later today/this week.
After multiple crypt preps, I had randoms coming in, then running amok by themselves, and leaving as soon as we finish the crypt. When I have spent the last 20 minutes finding and prepping the crypt, the last thing I want is for someone to come in and spoil the run.

Yeah, this is the sort of stuff I wanted newcomers to be aware of with forcing them to look at the actual guide and at least scanning the etiquette section in order to find where the roster was. It's not going to deter those who plan to crypt jump but there are some players who might be more considerate if they understood how much effort goes into finding and prepping a crypt.

But then I could just put the etiquette section and the roster in the OP.

I should be getting back to doing crypt runs more regularly now that I'm not traveling for work and don't have a weekend full of going to the orchestra and Doctor Who screenings. Watched that episode about 3-4 times yesterday - lol

And Nikki's back too! Another regular to run with :-)