You want a PoE thread? Here you go

Games & Technology
11/07/2013 09:46 AMPosted by Thyaliad
am talking about the actual GAMEPLAY, not just superficial numbers which you kept on bringing up.

Do you know what GAMEPLAY is? It encompasses EVERYTHING to do with a GAME minus audio and visual elements, if you want to deny it and call it "superficial" then you're just ignoring parts of gameplay because that's part of player interaction, if it was so superficial don't allocate your stats then go play D2 to hell without ever putting your stats into anything, i'm sure the grand difficulty you're seeking is very well there HAHA.
I didn't know removing choices that were available in D1 and D2 was an improvement in D3 however superficial it was or not.

11/07/2013 09:46 AMPosted by Thyaliad
In fact, D2 removed what IMO, were the key aspects of Diablo 1. The tension. The scares. The feeling that you were never really safe, that you were never really stronger than the monsters.

Uhh what? Have you ever run into magic immune enemies in D2 Hell or not? D3 it's +1 affix. Lol... as I said elsewhere there's no real danger in D3 except a lagspike of disconnect death.
D2 has a LIGHT radius you know that right? tell a 5 year old to play Diablo 2 they'll be either scared once they go into a dungeon or underground level, tell them to play diablo 3 it's like ponies and unicorns flying around. Tension. Lol, you're how old and you can't fathom this concept how?

D1 enemies get progressionally harder through each level, which is adopted by D2 where enemies are nigh unstoppable to certain roles by the time you reach hell. Did YOU even play D1? D3 Diablo is a sissy compared to Diablo 2's Diablo, compared to D1's diablo who's a badass
Do you know what GAMEPLAY is? It encompasses EVERYTHING to do with a GAME minus audio and visual elements, if you want to deny it and call it "superficial" then you're just ignoring parts of gameplay because that's part of player interaction, if it was so superficial don't allocate your stats then go play D2 to hell without ever putting your stats into anything, i'm sure the grand difficulty you're seeking is very well there HAHA.
I didn't know removing choices that were available in D1 and D2 was an improvement in D3 however superficial it was or not.

You know... if you stopped cherry-picking bits and pieces of my post, then maybe you will understand what I am talking about.

I played Diablo 1 for the tension, the scares, the atmosphere, the tactical combat. I didn't play Diablo 1 to add stat points into Strength. Hence, to me those stats are superficial. They were not the core of the game.

But in D2 it was the opposite. Stats and skill trees were a major part of the game. Not the tension, tactical combat etc.

11/07/2013 12:27 PMPosted by KradisZ
Uhh what? Have you ever run into magic immune enemies in D2 Hell or not? D3 it's +1 affix. Lol... as I said elsewhere there's no real danger in D3 except a lagspike of disconnect death.

Magic immune guys are NOT scary. Merely frustrating. Big difference. Immune guys were in D1 too, but characters have ways to deal with them. Even sorcerors, who were bound to have lightning, fire and magic spells at that stage in the game. But in D2, if you were a fire sorc for example, and you encounter a fire immune pack, well too bad for you.

And like I said, I have to win the D2 2x just to get to the challenging part. In D1, it was always a challenge.

And no real danger in D3? Maybe you should play solo self-found and use non-cookie cutter builds. There is a reason why people are complaining that most builds in D3 are non-viable in higher MPs.

And besides, why on earth do you keep bringing up D3? I am talking about D1 vs D2.

D2 has a LIGHT radius you know that right? tell a 5 year old to play Diablo 2 they'll be either scared once they go into a dungeon or underground level, tell them to play diablo 3 it's like ponies and unicorns flying around. Tension. Lol, you're how old and you can't fathom this concept how?

Light radius in D2 did squat in a game when you character is grossly overpowered compared to the enemies you face. It might as well not be in there. The only time it really mattered was in that blacked out sun quest in Act 2, even then I wasn't scared at all because my character was slaying demons left and right.

And if those kids played D1, they would be having nightmares for several weeks. D1 was a way scarier than D2, you can't even deny that. If you find D2 to be anything close to remotely scary, then lol.

And again why the heck do you keep bringing up D3? D3 was not scary. So what? Neither was D2.

D1 enemies get progressionally harder through each level, which is adopted by D2 where enemies are nigh unstoppable to certain roles by the time you reach hell.

They were nigh unstoppable because of affixes and having really bloated amounts of HP. D1 didn't have to rely on that. They got harder because they kept switching up tactics. Those dark knights ran up to you and hit hard and fast, while succubi and those teleporting dudes will try to avoid you at all costs. Doesn't help that they often ran deeper into unexplored territory, and can shoot from far beyond the range of your screen.

And again, I have to win the game 2x before I can get to the challenging part.

Did YOU even play D1? D3 Diablo is a sissy compared to Diablo 2's Diablo, compared to D1's diablo who's a badass

What is this? Where did Diablo himself enter the discussion?

I really think that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. You keep deviating from my original subject of D1 vs D2 and kept insisting on bringing up D3.

And since you love bringing up D3, then fine I shall talk about it.

Let me set the record straight about what I think.

D3 is NOT perfect. It has MANY flaws. However, not being like D2 is NOT one of those flaws. Do you finally understand where I am coming from now?
11/08/2013 10:23 AMPosted by Thyaliad
I played Diablo 1 for the tension, the scares, the atmosphere,

Okay let's get one thing straight, Diablo 1 isn't a HORROR GAME. Enough said.

And Tactical combat? Please. This isn't a strategy game, nor is the genre of Hack and Slash. It's entirely brainless, you're in the wrong franchise if you're playing for scares, tension, edge of your seat moments and asking for tactical combat across any Diablo title rofl.

And no real danger in D3? Maybe you should play solo self-found and use non-cookie cutter builds. There is a reason why people are complaining that most builds in D3 are non-viable in higher MPs.

Solo self found? sorry I'm going to use every feature given in a game to make the most efficient progress out of it, not deny myself and restrict myself to self found. That's what hardcore gamers do, they make workarounds or do the most efficient thing, not limit themselves to stupid self imposed rules. Non cookie cutter builds? LOL I don't even look up builds, I was running CM Wizard in May 2012 before any build was even deemed CM that's how stupid the skill selection was, Who cares about higher MP it's just elevated numbers pre-inferno nerf and pre MP had everyone crying it was too hard rofl, if it's non-viable in higher MP then those skills are useless thus making skill selection and skill build very easy to choose from. Duh. Also it means having those skills in the pool are entirely useless and should be removed if they are 0% useful in higher MP. Why make the game harder on yourself by limiting yourself to things like Self Found LOL. If you had to MAKE the challenge for yourself then the game itself is already a cakewalk.

That's like saying "Hey I got a nuclear warhead launcher but I'll take the BB gun instead" <- Sounds retarded.

Oh yeah and guess what I am self found since no one had good items back then and the highest DPS was 50k a year and a half ago on D3. Now it's like what? 2.4 million? LOL broken game. From one extreme to the other. The core of Diablo is to slay monsters not be scared of waiting for jump scares or creep scares. Killing a fire enchanted strong mob in D2 is pretty f***ing scary if you ask me considering it can one shot your char if you're on hardcore at Hell.

You don't get scared when your character can kill billions of mobs in D2 D3, but you get scared in D1 when you're overpowered by a few mobs and monsters that was aggrovated by a light radius. Rofl your logic, seriously.
Those dark knights ran up to you and hit hard and fast,

You DO KNOW THERE ARE "EXTRA FAST" and TELEPORT mobs in D2 RIGHT?... It's like you're engrossed in Diablo 1 and have extreme nostalgia for it and completely decide to ignore Diablo 2's elements which possess very much what Diablo 1 has with LOTS OF CONSIDERATION that I KNOW that they're made by the SAME PEOPLE. But it feels like YOU don't know that.
You know... if you stopped cherry-picking bits and pieces of my post, then maybe you will understand what I am talking about.

It's not cherry picking if you're the one ignoring parts of gameplay. According to you building a character and determining where your stats go is superficial and isn't part of the core game in an RPG? Yeah okay, having scares and tension is superficial too then in an ARPG which you think is part of the core game. Flawed logic at best. If you're the one so serious on nitpicking stop talking about gameplay since all you speak about are aesthetics. Gameplay has nothing to do with scares, atmosphere and tension in an ARPG hack and slash bud.