We aren't the hero.

Lore and Story
Zoltun Kuule is. We're the villain.

Zoltun wanted to protect humans from angels and demons by making all humans nephilim (I refuse to spell it with an A). We off him and then sanctuary gets invaded. Lots of people die that didn't need to. They could have been nephilim like us and been strong enough to survive.

He created the black soul stone. Without him sanctuary is screwed. We're unnecessary however. Diablo would have been stopped with or without us. Zoltun would have had an army of nephilim if we didn't interfere. He's the only one who was absolutely integral to defeating Diablo.

Finally, Zoltun wanted to preemptively attack the angels before they wipe us out like they almost did already. Reaper of Souls proves he was right all along. Angels really were still planning to wipe out humanity.

Pretty much everything bad that happened in Diablo 3 was a direct result of the actions of either the players or Tyrael. The whole first act is just fixing Tyraels screw-up. Act 2 we refuse to join the real hero and then kill him. Act 4 is the direct result of handing Adria the soulstone. Act 3 is the only one where our ragtag band of retards isn't actively making things worse. If I was really in control of what my character was doing I'd have joined Zoltun in act 2, curbstomped Tyrael over act 1, then raised our invincible nephilim army and invaded both heaven and hell. I for one welcome our new sandy overlord.
Is he the hero that Sacntuary deserves?

I'm sure we'll see people talking about Kulle for quite some time. I for one, like Kulle, agree that humans are superior to Angels and Demons, and that both divine forces will eventually need to be removed.

Why do you demand to spell 'nephilim' by its Biblical spelling?
11/12/2013 02:55 PMPosted by Chris
Why do you demand to spell 'nephilim' by its Biblical spelling?

Because that's how it's spelled. It's not something Blizzard made up. It's a real word. They need to spell it right. Intentionally misspelling something doesn't make them kool or xtreme regardless of what their marketing department may have lead them to believe.
Yes, it is a real word, but while the Diablo version of them are heavily based on the Biblical ones, there are pretty wide differences that make them unequal. Enough to where I think it's totally fair to rework the name so that it's a product of the franchise, instead of a product of something else. It's not to be "cool" or anything like that, but rather, to set itself apart and stand out from any other usage of the term.
11/12/2013 07:06 AMPosted by Lachryphage
Zoltun wanted to protect humans from angels and demons by making all humans nephilim (I refuse to spell it with an A). We off him and then sanctuary gets invaded. Lots of people die that didn't need to. They could have been nephilim like us and been strong enough to survive.

TBH, his whole "we can all be gods" speech sounded a lot more like "I and my friends can be gods". Besides the obvious flaw of never actually explaining how the black soulstone could make people nephalem, theres another problem- mass production. Even if they could make factories for soulstones, theres no way theyd be able to capture enough souls.

He created the black soul stone. Without him sanctuary is screwed. We're unnecessary however. Diablo would have been stopped with or without us. Zoltun would have had an army of nephilim if we didn't interfere. He's the only one who was absolutely integral to defeating Diablo.

See above. best case scenario, he would have been too late.

Finally, Zoltun wanted to preemptively attack the angels before they wipe us out like they almost did already. Reaper of Souls proves he was right all along. Angels really were still planning to wipe out humanity.

Given that it was made pretty obvious that Malthael has gone rogue, this doesn't even really need a counterargument. Youre just blatantly twisting and misinterpreting things to suit your point.
Kulle didn't really matter though either, did he?

Since the worldstone was destroyed by tyrael the nephalem would reappear from humans again en masse anyway.
I really liked Kulle and still don't fully understand why had to kill him. I mean his last words were a warning that we were being used as a pawn in a bigger scheme and our response was... to kill him? Just doesn't jive well, Blizzard made him to likable and not evil enough. The person in the Book of Tyrael is definitely a very evil man but the one in the game wasn't so bad.

I would like to see him again now that we've learned the error of our ways, he is immortal isn't he?
Given that it was made pretty obvious that Malthael has gone rogue, this doesn't even really need a counterargument. Youre just blatantly twisting and misinterpreting things to suit your point.

He suddenly disappeared one day and nobody knew where he was or what he was up to. They only even knew he was still alive because a replacement was never created. That's a far cry from knowing he was about to steal the soulstone and attack humanity.

11/15/2013 05:39 AMPosted by Blame
Since the worldstone was destroyed by tyrael the nephalem would reappear from humans again en masse anyway.

So how come the PC is apparently the only one?
11/18/2013 09:43 AMPosted by Lachryphage
He suddenly disappeared one day and nobody knew where he was or what he was up to. They only even knew he was still alive because a replacement was never created. That's a far cry from knowing he was about to steal the soulstone and attack humanity.

I was referring to the mortal's perspectives, not from the Angel's. When he reappeared for the first time it was quite obvious he was not a normal angel.