Sold a ring --> Lost my desire to play

Monk
So I've played my Monk for a while now, never really selling a big ticket item. I'd sold exactly 1 item for between 100m and 200m, and that was my biggest sale to date.

I was always pretty happy though, because I made slow and steady improvement. Every 10 paragon levels or so I went up about 1 MP level. That feels like a nice steady rate, and you get to MP-10 at p100 at that rate, so it all works out, right? (It's slowed a bit lately, but clearing MP-8 before p90 doesn't seem impossible.) I'm sitting at 125K dps/1.25m ehp, and very happy with it.

So I'm leveling up SF-ish Demon Hunter and at the beginning of Act-3 (I've just recently hit level 60) a 0-dog Skull Grasp drops. I sell it for over 300m. My entire Monk probably cost between 200m and 250m not counting crafts, so this should make me happy, right?

... I dunno. I've always been a just-spend-the-cash immediately kind of guy with this character. That gold from one 100m+ item that I sold last time was spent in a week on my current weapon and shield. But I know zip about this newer, high-end market, so I take some time to get to know it. In the mean time, I craft all my backlog of DEs up. Might as well.

I seem to somehow be precisely in the middle of the !@#$-hole of the economy. Much of the gear I bought does not seem like it's still worth what I paid for it. That's great, right? If my boots aren't worth 40m anymore, then 40m should buy me better boots than what I have now, right? Nope, it'll cost 100m, for another 60 stats on those, and I'll lose a tad of mitigation. (And those who know me, know I love me some mitigation and value it much higher than almost anyone else.)

Remember when I said I bought my weapon and shield together for less than 200m? Well, I can't seem to find a significant upgrade for either for the cash that I have. My pants are only worth 10m, but an upgrade to get another +20 AR on them is out of my price range. Too many sidegrades out there.

But beyond merely having the cash and not being able to find something worth spending it on, it seems like merely selling a higher cost item has made me less likely to want to play. Like my whole way of scrapping along has been interrupted.

I think I'm going to have to just spend the cash on whatever upgrades ASAP. Maybe it's just hard to be motivated to go play the slot machine when I've already got more cash in my pocket than I can find a decent use for. The thought of "All I need to do is find another of my best drops ever and I'll actually be able to afford a not-quite-gg weapon" doesn't seem to be too helpful.

Anyway, that's what's up with me this past few weeks. Not really playing my Monk and don't know what to do with all the cash I've suddenly got. I know, I know... such a horrible burden to have :)
I totally feel you...that happened to me about a month ago. I didn't find a good item but I realized i had 1,000 fg just sitting on jsp from my d2 days. Cashed it in at the time for about 430M gold. Went nuts on my wizard (which in the end was kind of a waste - he's a CM and hit 3.01 breakpoint but only has 150k dps). Hit the middle class gear wall like you.

So I went back to my monk and upgraded her a little bit, and I hit the wall like again where there's no middle class gear.

My suggestion, make a new build and gear it. I made a tempest monk. Required getting some spirit regen gear, soj/inna's radiance/inna's belt to complete the set for constant SW. And I bought a good skorn. It was total like 25M in gear, but it entertained me for a while.
Stopped picking up rares like 9 months ago.

Stopped picking up legendaries like 6 months ago.

Stopped playing the game like 3 months ago.

We need new content now. It's pretty pointless to play.
I quit once and came back - sort of. Now I only play the challenges I set up for myself. Other than that spend more time on the forum than I do in the game.

Spear
Stopped picking up rares like 9 months ago.

Stopped picking up legendaries like 6 months ago.

Stopped playing the game like 3 months ago.

We need new content now. It's pretty pointless to play.

I think I quit like ... shoot, I don't even know. Gotta be at least 6 months ago?

I'm not even looking forward to the expansion tbh. :/

Might just need to find a new game altogether.

edit: Ok, best I can figure is that it's been at least 7 months since the last edit I made to my guide was on 4/5 telling people not to friend request me in game asking for advice.
I just d/l torchlight 2. Here is what I thought about it compare to what D3 currently have to offer:

- Starting the game with your OWN MINION PET is freaking AWESOME
- PET can sell item for you & a pick up list while you quest / farm
- RANDOM generated MAPS / DUNGEONS / Open world events!!
- OFFLINE / ONLINE PLAY
- Even green / blue items can make a difference
- Ability to enchant / disenchant as you like
- I DON'T NEED AH TO ENJOY THE GAME OR RECEIVE UPGRADES
- BLUE SET ITEMS!!!
- MAX 133 SKILL PTS
- 27 skills with 9 passives!!
- Ability to learn other SKILLS FROM SCROLLS
- My pet can summon total of 9 minions of his own from scrolls picked up

Currently at level 32 & it has been a BLAST!!!

With this TORCHLIGHT 2 & PS4 around the corner I will just stay off this game & see the new contents / expansion is worth it to come back.
Yeah you get to a point where you can't upgrade without a ton of gold. Kind of where I'm sitting, no upgrades for less than a few hundred mils. :( Just keep truckin
11/11/2013 01:57 PMPosted by DaRupp
hit 3.01 breakpoint
Thats your problem you could gain a lot more dps if you dropped down to 2.74. Yes its not as good as 3/01 but if you can gain 20-50k dps from switching out some stuff then its worth it. Meaning dropping the inna;s pants for blackthorne and getting a better dps amulet. I know its always nice when you sell an item for a lot but you need to spend it wisely. Trust me i had the same problem last year (when gold was actually worth something) Sold an item for 300 mil spent it all in a couple days on some rings which turned out to be useless after a patch hit a couple days later.
I have found a few drops that sold for 100 mil+. It sucks when I don't have something I'm gearing for because I always spend the gold, even if it's on SoJs...but when I'm trying to do something I don't have the gold. I'm just glad I don't manage my real money like I manage my Diablo gold. : )

You could always do a budget set challenge. : )
11/11/2013 04:38 PMPosted by Jt3z
hit 3.01 breakpoint
Thats your problem you could gain a lot more dps if you dropped down to 2.74. Yes its not as good as 3/01 but if you can gain 20-50k dps from switching out some stuff then its worth it. Meaning dropping the inna;s pants for blackthorne and getting a better dps amulet. I know its always nice when you sell an item for a lot but you need to spend it wisely. Trust me i had the same problem last year (when gold was actually worth something) Sold an item for 300 mil spent it all in a couple days on some rings which turned out to be useless after a patch hit a couple days later.

100% - it was so stupid going for 3.01. I thought i had the scratch at the time to do it right...you need like 2b a slot to do it right at the 3.01 bp. Oh well, live and learn.

My monk is pretty much better in every way (well except crowd control) than my wiz now...plus monks are more fun to play...
Haha, sound very negative!

It is true! I will quit the game once my second monk hit P100. I'm still considering whether I will continue the game even the pre-expansion patch or new expansion. I spent all my gold to upgrade my monks. They looks good to me, so I don't have any motivation spending time on D3 in future. LoL
11/11/2013 04:59 PMPosted by DaRupp

100% - it was so stupid going for 3.01. I thought i had the scratch at the time to do it right...you need like 2b a slot to do it right at the 3.01 bp. Oh well, live and learn.

My monk is pretty much better in every way (well except crowd control) than my wiz now...plus monks are more fun to play...
Yea to make 3.01 work well you need gear worth a LOT. You could easily fix you wiz if you change a few things out. 200k should be easy to get to.
I also feel you OP. Sadly D3 has become painfully boring to me. I've sold off all my gear of value and converted gold to $. Not really anything that exciting but I was happy I cleared enough to pay for the xpac and now I'll just wait it out. Nothing worth even playing for at this point.
farming for paragon levels,
grind keys and open portal for ubers,
help other players of the community,
rally friends to join u in group farm,
save up ingredients in anticipation of AH closing down

these are not something boring to do, I still can't wait for my fourth monk to hit paragon hundred, it might be stupid to dedicate to a video game to this extent but i don't think it's a good habit to have to give up on something once it becomes boring, even though u once loved it and played it like u mean it.

i hope Diablo III has a bright future ahead

XFC-
For the love of everything manly!!!!; you know what I thought of when I read the OP

:kamel: <3 :cookie:
Definitely in the !@#$-hole of the economy...

Just logged in last night to check the AH again. A weapon that game me -800 DPS was 25m. The one that gave me +1300 DPS was 300m. Man that ramps up fast. I hadn't really bought anything for myself off the AH in months.

Anyway, that's just one facet. I just thought it weird that finally selling a decent drop (more than I paid for my current character) made me lose so much interest. Compared to what many here have probably sold.It's not even that large a drop at that. Anyway thanks for the responses...

11/11/2013 01:57 PMPosted by DaRupp
My suggestion, make a new build and gear it.

If you've heard of a build, I probably played it for a while. Well, every thing but really glass-cannoning it up, but I don't have the cojones for that.

11/11/2013 08:02 PMPosted by XinFanChen
i don't think it's a good habit to have to give up on something once it becomes boring

It's a very good habit to have for games. Seriously. If you're being bored, stop playing. Spend your leisure time having fun. It's a horrible habit to keep at hobbies you don't enjoy.

Various other people saying they're bored, too.

Yeah. At 13K kills on my Monk, I think maybe I'm just catching up to where you guys were as you started to quit.

For the love of everything manly!!!!; you know what I thought of when I read the OP

:kamel: <3 :cookie:

Look, I probably should have mentioned in the OP that I spent the morning chopping wood and wrestling a grizzly bear (I needed a new rug for my room), working up an appetite for the 3 pounds of bacon that I then ate for breakfast.

Then, after growing a beard in the afternoon, accidentally impregnating a supermodel merely by looking at her, and winning three separate triathlons, I spent an hour swimming down to the floor of the ocean and towing a pirate ship filled with treasure back up to the surface.

It was probably the secret mission for the CIA in [REDACTED] where I [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] that really sapped my energy for the day, despite the 8 cases of Red Bull I drank earlier.

Had I mentioned all that, and told you I wrote the OP while relaxing in my chair, tossing back a beer, and watching 80's action movies, you probably would have realize that the tone I was going for in my post was a more manly "Wistfully looking back at a simpler time" than the possible "Whiny complaining" that it may have come across as.

It's so hard to really capture tone correctly in a forum post. My Bad.
farming for paragon levels,
grind keys and open portal for ubers,
help other players of the community,
rally friends to join u in group farm,
save up ingredients in anticipation of AH closing down

these are not something boring to do, I still can't wait for my fourth monk to hit paragon hundred, it might be stupid to dedicate to a video game to this extent but i don't think it's a good habit to have to give up on something once it becomes boring, even though u once loved it and played it like u mean it.

i hope Diablo III has a bright future ahead

XFC-

It's a computer game. If someone gets boring playing it, it's obviously better to stop playing it. Why waste time when you don't get the fun out of it?

There was a time when I couldn't wait to get home to play D3 everyday. Not anymore though. And it's not just me. The player base has gotten much smaller after the xpac announcement.

I'm sure 2.0s and xpac will reignite the passion of a lot of former players though. I know I'll be back for it.

If you still enjoy grinding plvls, great for you. I know a lot of people enjoy the grinding. So, it's definitely nothing wrong to be enjoying it. :)
Maybe I pushed XFC over the top with my comments. :P I wasn't saying D3 sucks as a game but after playing it for 1.3 yrs (in my case) I'm just burnt out. I played wow for a number of years. It's also a great game but sometimes your interests change or the game just becomes stale. In the case of D3 the gear chase gets old. If there was some interesting content it might be one thing but I have two kids, a wife and the last thing I want to do is play a game I'm not excited to play. I don't really have that much time to commit to gaming to begin with. But hey...if some of you're having fun a year or two in and still are enjoying the game I think that's cool.
I've played Cookie Clicker more than this game in the past 9 months.
11/13/2013 07:03 AMPosted by Tarzan
I've played Cookie Clicker more than this game in the past 9 months.

Hmmm, have you ever searched twitch for streams that run 24/7 of folks jabbing at cookie clicker?