Magic find nerf...

General Discussion
I guess throw my hat into the "just remove MF from the game" party as well. Gold find is already getting the axe right?
Why couldn't they do diminishing returns for legendary mf like d2? Having 10% effect just makes it a wasted Slot. Or like others have said scrap it from gear altogether (like they said they would)
Btw i find it hilarious that this was such a huge deal a year ago and now no one, on either side, could care less.
11/14/2013 02:40 PMPosted by donk
Btw i find it hilarious that this was such a huge deal a year ago and now no one, on either side, could care less.

Well when the best items can't be sold for real $, no one really cares! heh
@Archangel: haha.. that pretty much sums up MF right there.

Anyway, if BoA becomes a reality, and trading will no longer be possible, people may quickly start caring about MF again in order to be able to increase their rng chance to progress at all. Maybe that would actually be a reason to root for MF instead. Even a small MF boost should make a massive difference with the new drop rates. Though, I don't think a casual player needs to worry about finding upgrades too quickly.
When MF gear swapping was an issue, I think farming was still generally considered to consist of elite packs. I know I farmed mostly elites.

Things have changed since then, and farming is now thought to consist of MP10 white mobs, and if the trend continues in RoS with whatever the new difficulty chosen for Torment I-V, that would make swapping itself mostly a moot point, and for general farming purposes a full set of MF gear would be required for softcore players that don't need PUR or Thorns for dps, and would still be able to survive with so many MF affix slots on that difficulty.

I'm not sure what they meant by Paragon no longer having MF exactly, but If Paragon 2 still has the assignable MF points, and with those points it would be possible to reach MF cap, then it becomes a comparison between other paragon point stat gains and the affix slot used for MF on gear.

If the affix slot wasted for MF would offer more stats through other affixes than the Paragon 2 stats other than MF, then MF would in theory not be a problem at all, and would continue as it is in 1.08, as long as your PL is high enough. This would be made possible by the forced category point system of Paragon 2. And the higher PL you'll get, the less of an issue it would be, as you can eventually max the other stats as well. But only if MF can be maxed with Paragon alone, or Paragon+Follower alone.
I'd like to see a return of targeted drops from specific unique. Specific monster hunting could be worth doing it if wasn't too specific... like Butcher having 2x the drop rate on a Butcher's Sickle for example.

So either they make drops linked to difficulty so much so that 'max MF' in a lower tier of difficulty was STILL not as 'rewarding' as the next tier up would then make MF an end-game only affix, as only folks who were already farming on the highest difficulty would bother with MF..

Unless they have MF charms in the inventory! hehe
I'd like to see a return of targeted drops from specific unique. Specific monster hunting could be worth doing it if wasn't too specific... like Butcher having 2x the drop rate on a Butcher's Sickle for example.

So either they make drops linked to difficulty so much so that 'max MF' in a lower tier of difficulty was STILL not as 'rewarding' as the next tier up would then make MF an end-game only affix, as only folks who were already farming on the highest difficulty would bother with MF..

They should've had loot tables. But they don't want us to kill the same things over and over. Didn't you forget they want us to play their way?
11/15/2013 01:37 AMPosted by dominatus
When MF gear swapping was an issue, I think farming was still generally considered to consist of elite packs. I know I farmed mostly elites.

That's a good point, although I can still imagine some people still swapping gear for elite kills. I guess the bigger issue for mf on gear is if it becomes a must-have affix. With a major nerf to mf on legendaries this isn't likely to be a problem but you have to wonder what's the point of having it at all? Personally I think they should have taken the loot 2.0 opportunity to remove it from gear rather than a nerf that makes it unviable except in huge amounts (300% mf on gear would give you 30% on legendaries which is non-negligible). Alternatively diminishing returns like I suggested before so, e.g. 100% mf would be optimal.

They should've had loot tables. But they don't want us to kill the same things over and over. Didn't you forget they want us to play their way?

Well imagine they had bounties that rewarded a 'Helm' - maybe 2% chance for a legendary. Then folks could pick speicifc bounties to target if they were really hoping for a helm upgrade... one can only dream.
It's not a choice it's an obligation.

This is a loot hunting game. You do whatever you can to improve your chances of finding loot. I'll be running MF on all 13 items slots plus my followers if possible. I expect to socket Topaz in all my helms as well.

I strongly disagree going away from the MF cap. Even knowing that it's 'just' 10% of MF going towards the drops doesn't prevent me from wanting to farm as efficiently as possible. It's not like I'm giving up primary stats for MF since that's an adventure stat.
11/14/2013 06:04 AMPosted by Baron
http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/the-diablo-3-podcast-121-blizzcon-2013-reaper-of-souls-interview-jason-regier-and-travis-day/

The more I read about RoS the more it sounds like a total cluster F%^& hahahaha.

Well at least i'm saving myself not wasting 40 euros on it!!
The rares though.. They won't be as mf nerfed as the legendarys.
And rares can be traded.
So.. I'm guessing we will want plenty of mf.
Well, lets say they do the following:

Easy: 0% MF
Normal: 50% MF
Hard:100% MF
Torment: 200% MF
Demonic: 300% MF
Apocalypse: 400% MF

Is sacrificing 5 affix slots for MF going to be the difference between Demonic > Apocalypse?
Well, lets say they do the following:

Easy: 0% MF
Normal: 50% MF
Hard:100% MF
Torment: 200% MF
Demonic: 300% MF
Apocalypse: 400% MF

Is sacrificing 5 affix slots for MF going to be the difference between Demonic > Apocalypse?

Looks like difficulties changed and they are implementing the legendary MF on higher difficulty as guessed above..
This is just my opinion but I think magic find should be the most sought after stat in the game. Not by a huge margin or anything but it would be fun building a char and deciding how much to balance MF with DPS and HP.

I think MF should not increase the chance of magics or rares dropping but should increase the # of set items and legendaries. More MF should also increase the quality of the drops. I don't care about magic items but more MF should increase the stat rolls on rares, set items, and legendaries.

I play HC so it would be fun to figure out a balance between stacking MF and finding good stuff at a better pace or choosing to stack DPS and HP to minimize risk.

Also, I don't understand the people saying they feel forced to use MF. 1st of all it's already capped which is a dumb idea. 2nd of all you have to sacrifice DPS, HP, or resists if you want to stack MF. Which means you have a choice and are not being forced to do anything. Capping MF and adding diminishing returns is forcing you not to use MF which is the exactly the kind of behaviour you're saying you don't want yet you agree with removing it. I don't get it.
Well, the new tooltip for magicfind makes it abundantly clear that it has a greatly reduced effect on legendary items.

so there's that.

10% of your Magic Find will be applied towards Legendary and Set Item.

This means you will need 1000% Magic Find to double your chance to find a Legendary item.

Otherwise, if they leave Magic Find the way it is just about every drop in RoS would be a Legendary or Set item. I don't really think that's healthy for the game at that point.
My interpretation of the new MF mechanics using the new set of datamined info has been released that obsoletes much of the Blizzcon information - namely the replacement of the 'demonic/apoc' difficulty and return of the console-ish Master>Torment I-VI levels. But also contained in the new data was the mention of "Legendary MF percentages" and the Blizzcon statement that only 10% of a player's MF is counted towards "Legendary MF". So basically, Blizzard wants difficulty to be the primary method to obtain the best items in the game. So here is how I think it will currently work. The wording can be interpreted differently than what I will describe below, so feel free to discuss/clarify.

Current Max MF in D3 1.08:

* - works on all tiers of items - blue, rare, legendary, set

Items/Para Max: 300%
5NV = 75%
MP10 = 250%
Shrine = 25%
4p Bonus = 30%
Max MF = 680%

From 11-19-2013 Datamine Interpretation:

Items/Para Max: 300%
Shrine = 25%
4p Bonus = 30%
Max MF for Blues/Rares = 355%
Max MF for Legendary/Set = 35.5%

Current Build's Difficulty Tiers & Equivalent Difficulty

Normal ~MP0
Hard ~MP3
Expert ~MP5
Master ~MP8
Torment I ~MP10
Torment II ~MP12
Torment III ~MP14
Torment IV ~MP16
Torment V ~MP18
Torment VI ~MP20

* - MP# equiv based off blue comments

Current Build's Difficulty Tiers Added Legendary MF%+

Normal +0%
Hard +0%
Expert +0%
Master +0%
Torment I +50%
Torment II +100%
Torment III +150%
Torment IV +200%
Torment V +250%
Torment VI +500%

* - Torment I-V assumed to sacle 50% per slider tick to 250% and Torment VI MF assumed to be doubled from _description_5

So basically, having max MF thru items & paragon only gives you an extra 35.5% chance to get a legendary to drop, and increasing the difficulty one tier is a much more efficient way than spending ~12 affix slots + Paragon to obtain. Farming for blues/rares to salvage is another matter, but probably not as rewarding.

So basically, MF in RoS is dead!? We should aim to build our characters to farm Torment VI asap!