"It was the wrong choice to play offline in D2"

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 18 Next
Remember, angry mob, all they need you to do is buy the expansion once and they can call their game a success again.
"Nobody will remember if the game is late, only if it's great"

I remember

Bah, that stuff you remember? It basically never happened.

I know, because Jay Wilson said so!

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/55504-diablo-ii-memories-are-not-reality/
lol, what a load of crap mr. Martens. Why can't you just be honest and say the real reason for not including an offline mode (Piracy and hacking)?
I also find it incredibly amusing how he says its straight up more fun to play with other people, even though everyone likes to play games differently. Its his opinion that its better with other people, i personally love to solo. And with the amount of people who played public games, ( a minority ) I'm not alone.

Best part about his opinion is he's managed to help create a very anti social game, not to mention a poor multi-player experience. Im sure everyone remembers how stupid it was to party up pre inferno nerf. Everything he says does not translate to what D3 is.
This sort of attitude has become pretty much par for the course with Blizzard, though, unfortunately. “You may think you know what you want, but we know better.” And sure, game development – good, confident development – requires that mentality to some extent, but there’s a breaking point. A time at which it’s worth noting the constantly erupting volcano of demand and considering a new approach. Or at least not writing it off in a, frankly, sometimes dismissive fashion.

That essentially sums up what I dislike about modern Blizzard. Because of past successes, they are extremely self-confident, to the point where they outright dismiss the notion that fans might possibly know something they are doing is a bad idea.

Well... we tried to tell them with the AH before the game released, they didn't listen, where did that end up?
We tried to tell them about the low level cap before the game released, where did that end up?
We even tried to tell them about the horrible loot and we were dismissed and told it was placeholder.

Just have to wonder how many times they need to be proven they are not omniscient before they decide to listen to fan feedback to improve their games.
11/13/2013 05:06 PMPosted by Miraa
This sort of attitude has become pretty much par for the course with Blizzard, though, unfortunately. “You may think you know what you want, but we know better.” And sure, game development – good, confident development – requires that mentality to some extent, but there’s a breaking point. A time at which it’s worth noting the constantly erupting volcano of demand and considering a new approach. Or at least not writing it off in a, frankly, sometimes dismissive fashion.

That essentially sums up what I dislike about modern Blizzard. Because of past successes, they are extremely self-confident, to the point where they outright dismiss the notion that fans might possibly know something they are doing is a bad idea.

Well... we tried to tell them with the AH before the game released, they didn't listen, where did that end up?
We tried to tell them about the low level cap before the game released, where did that end up?
We even tried to tell them about the horrible loot and we were dismissed and told it was placeholder.

Just have to wonder how many times they need to be proven they are not omniscient before they decide to listen to fan feedback to improve their games.

weapon animations in beta
Id all
open way point system (coming in RoS)

That list can go on forever... Pretty sad state of affairs.
11/13/2013 05:04 PMPosted by Wesker
lol, what a load of crap mr. Martens. Why can't you just be honest and say the real reason for not including an offline mode (Piracy and hacking)?

Martens "...offline characters can be hacked and hex-edited to hell and back, right?"
you know those those really dumb people you only see on the internet... it seems like bliz reps are those people.
11/13/2013 05:10 PMPosted by Dirk

Martens "...offline characters can be hacked and hex-edited to hell and back, right?"

Okay, what about piracy?
Martens: We didn’t make that game. That’s the straight-up answer. We did not make that game, and we’re not going to turn this game into that game. We have the online mode because we learned a lot over the many, many years that Diablo II was in development.

I don't understand this. The console version of D3 and the expansion has offline mode. Didn't blizzard make that game?
11/13/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Xort
Martens: We didn’t make that game. That’s the straight-up answer. We did not make that game, and we’re not going to turn this game into that game. We have the online mode because we learned a lot over the many, many years that Diablo II was in development.

I don't understand this. The console version of D3 and the expansion has offline mode. Didn't blizzard make that game?

Yeah, that vapid answer is even more insulting when you consider they DID make that game, only it was for the PS3. Then again, this is from a Blizzard employee, so I'm sure he's probably so accustomed to doublethink that he forgot he was using it.
11/13/2013 05:10 PMPosted by Dirk

Whats your point? Offline is offline. Martens said it himself, offline save files can be manipulated which means they cannot be allowed to join the secure online community with that character or any offline character.

It sucks when your friend or brother is online and he wants to join this game, but you realize you’re an offline character and he’s an online character, and there’s no way to transfer over because offline characters can be hacked and hex-edited to hell and back, right?
11/13/2013 05:02 PMPosted by rootguy
Remember, angry mob, all they need you to do is buy the expansion once and they can call their game a success again.

Blizzard: We don't care about your internet problems.

Customers: Well.. we don't care about your product either.

Win
RPS: OK, now the big one. The auction house is out, but the online requirement is still in. You’ve explained that it’s all about community and whatnot, but would adding in a simple option to play offline really hurt? I mean, the game’s already that way on console, and it’s not like your community would just up and disappear. Plus, if they did, I think that’d mean they never enjoyed being online with your game in the first place.

[b]Martens: It’s interesting when you’re in the moment in gaming culture – when you’re playing the game right now – we see its flaws very well. When we look at the long history, it becomes sort of a rosy past. I don’t think people necessarily remember how mad they themselves were that they had an offline mode and online mode in Diablo II.

This will probably be controversial for me to say. People will be like, “I wasn’t mad!” But I was there at the time, and then I studied this for a living. It sucks when your friend or brother is online and he wants to join this game, but you realize you’re an offline character and he’s an online character, and there’s no way to transfer over because offline characters can be hacked and hex-edited to hell and back, right?

And then we had that split between expansion characters and normal ones as well [in Diablo II]. The community was inherently divided.
He is flat out WRONG.

Considering that a core mechanic to the game involved creating a brand new lvl1 character and building it. These two hypothetical people can play together with no problems.

Who was ever mad about this? I started single player first. Then I re-rolled multiple characters on b.net.

Blizzard has done more to divide the community than single/multiplayer ever has. First by alienating the true core fans then by continuing to add mechanics that are flat out not Diablo.

As always, the devs seem to have some warped twisted view about what the game used to be. I don't buy any of that BS.

It's all just PR statements trying to calm us down and salvage what is left. Blizz wants to protect their assets from piracy. Pure and simple. It has nothing to do with 'our' gameplay experience.
At the risk of getting perma banned again... Kevin can go pound sand.

I've not done the "not buying this" line before so all I'll say is that it's highly unlikely I'll buy RoS. The attitude exuded in that article is the same hubris-filled [edit] Jay got famous for. Fool me once, shame on you...

The whole ubiquitousness of the internet line is so vastly blown out of proportion. Yes, a lot of people "have" an internet connection. Percentage wise very few people have an internet connection. Of the people that have an internet connection, it is, again, very few who have high bandwidth/low latency connections.

I agree with those in this thread have mentioned Blizzard is resting too much on its laurels. It's no wonder why WoW is bleeding players.
He is really out of touch.

It's sickening to listen to this tool; he either never played

D2 or his version of reality differs greatly from

the many people that did.

The amount of mistakes they made with D3 is huge, and yet

he talks like there weren't any.
11/13/2013 05:14 PMPosted by Wesker

Okay, what about piracy?

What about piracy? Srsly, just how many more copies of vanilla D3 do Blizzard think they're going to sell, that piracy will still be an issue for this game? How many sales of RoS are they willing to forego, in order to protect future sales of the base game... when they can't sell any more copies of the base game? Even the well-received console versions aren't selling.