feeling unsafe

General Discussion

But we are not talking about some random person its now the 5th "hacked" guy who had over 1000$ items on his acc.
All those guys had an authentificator.

This current situation has nothing to do with mistakes. It seems like they are all just cashing out their accs without losing anything.
When RoS comes a lot of stuff will get BoA and they use mystic to upgrade or reroll the old stuff which will become BoA.

Thats a WIN-Win situation.

Blizzard should look into this EXACTLY. Those players traded anyway outside the rmah. So they violated the rules ANWAY. This situation right now makes me worry a LOT.

You are spot on ... these guys are definately cashing out ... not sure why you care so much though, he put in 4k hours of time to cash out a few thousand $$$

yeah this sounds far more likely. this thread and the 'don't buy these items' thread seem very contrived IMPO. I still find it hard to believe that Blizz employs the Sgt. Schultz method of gear tracking, especially when we are "always online"
Just work for the CIA. Then you can track down and disappear anyone who hacks you.
11/19/2013 12:05 PMPosted by Edestron
with the hacking of the worlds best monk, are any of us safe if its that easy?

There's a lot that you can do to help keep your account safe. While no method is 100% effective, the more steps you take to securing your account, the less likely it is to be compromised by a third party.

Here's just a few simple steps you can take:
  • Never, ever share your Battle.net account e-mail with anyone. It's also highly recommended to use a unique e-mail address for your Battle.net account - don't use it for any other service.
  • Use a unique password for your Battle.net account. It's advised to use a unique password for every account you have, Battle.net or otherwise.
  • Change your password on a regular basis. The more frequently you do so, the better.
  • Use additional verification methods, such as the Battle.net Authenticator. Every additional step of verification adds another layer of security, and it's a great service to use. More and more online services offer similar security steps, such as SMS verification. We also offer the SMS Protect service, and I definitely recommend it.
  • Never, ever click on suspicious links. If you don't know where it came from, don't risk it! No anti-virus software is perfect, and there's never a need to open yourself up to unnecessary vulnerabilities.

If you're ever concerned that your account may have been accessed by an unwelcome party, we have a ton of great resources for helping you ensure your account is secure, recovering access to your account, and requesting an account rollback if applicable.

Our Customer Support folks are here to help, but remember: account security is ultimately the responsibility of the account holder. Exercising care with your account and practicing safe browsing habits will help you avoid this kind of experience.
Also use Linux
11/19/2013 03:41 PMPosted by Nevalistis
with the hacking of the worlds best monk, are any of us safe if its that easy?

There's a lot that you can do to help keep your account safe. While no method is 100% effective, the more steps you take to securing your account, the less likely it is to be compromised by a third party.

Here's just a few simple steps you can take:
  • Never, ever share your Battle.net account e-mail with anyone. It's also highly recommended to use a unique e-mail address for your Battle.net account - don't use it for any other service.
  • Use a unique password for your Battle.net account. It's advised to use a unique password for every account you have, Battle.net or otherwise.
  • Change your password on a regular basis. The more frequently you do so, the better.
  • Use additional verification methods, such as the [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battlenet-authenticator"]Battle.net Authenticator.[/url] Every additional step of verification adds another layer of security, and it's a great service to use. More and more online services offer similar security steps, such as SMS verification. We also offer the [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/battlenet-sms-protect"]SMS Protect service[/url], and I definitely recommend it.
  • Never, ever click on suspicious links. If you don't know where it came from, don't risk it! No anti-virus software is perfect, and there's never a need to open yourself up to unnecessary vulnerabilities.

If you're ever concerned that your account may have been accessed by an unwelcome party, we have a ton of great resources for helping you [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/account-compromise-what-to-do"]ensure your account is secure[/url], [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/recovering-a-compromised-battle-net-account"]recovering access to your account[/url], and [url="https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/compromised-diablo-iii-account"]requesting an account rollback[/url] if applicable.

Our Customer Support folks are here to help, but remember: account security is ultimately the responsibility of the account holder. Exercising care with your account and practicing safe browsing habits will help you avoid this kind of experience.

Might add this to the list;

-Always keep all your software updated, especially for;

Security programs
Operating System
Flash Player
Java
Pdf reader (Adobe reader etc.)
Office programs
Video programs (VLC etc.)
Browser and browser plugins.
11/19/2013 03:45 PMPosted by KingD
-Always keep all your software updated

Great advice! There's so much you can do to stay on top of account security, sometimes it's easy to miss a step.

Anyone else have security tips to share?
11/19/2013 03:53 PMPosted by Nevalistis
-Always keep all your software updated

Great advice! There's so much you can do to stay on top of account security, sometimes it's easy to miss a step.

The best way is to use a virtual machine. There is literaly nothing can happen at all.

No idea what those guys are worried about.
Just checm vmware for example.
What I don't get, is why bother with hacking accounts now? With the price and such of things dropping since the death of the AH is only months away?

I think there is more to that story then we know.
He played a game. You made him sound like he contributed to your country's GDP.
Having a good character doesn't mean people are shielded against poor internet browsing habits.

It's a pretty bad argument to defend BoA.
What I don't get, is why bother with hacking accounts now? With the price and such of things dropping since the death of the AH is only months away?

I think there is more to that story then we know.

Just for the fun of it?
11/19/2013 03:43 PMPosted by Baconan
Also use Linux

Didn't they ban all accounts using Linux cause you need the program "WINE" to run D3 lol?
linux users were not banned. I play using WINE just about every day
11/19/2013 05:00 PMPosted by hal8999
linux users were not banned. I play using WINE just about every day

LOL

Red or White?
Never, ever share your Battle.net account e-mail with anyone. It's also highly recommended to use a unique e-mail address for your Battle.net account - don't use it for any other service.

I've been doing this for 5 years and not once has it received a single dodgy email.

Seems to be only now that this method is catching on.

11/19/2013 03:53 PMPosted by Nevalistis

For that email, use authentication as well. Gmail has a similar system to battle.net authenticators:
https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Also, learn how to spot fake emails, in-game game master spoofs, phishing scams etc:
http://us.battle.net/en/security/theft

For passwords:

- Never use the same password for multiple accounts.
- Use complex passwords with numbers, letters and symbols.

A recent hack on Adobe identified the 20 most common passwords used by not-so-smart users:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/the-20-most-popular-passwords-stolen-in-adobe-hack-20131106-2x03o.html
gee thanks for all the fancy tips :D
Authenticator.
Unique Email.
Don't click on any link.

play offline and you can't get hacked

opps. my bad. right... DRM
If your stupid enough to have your account hacked then stiff !@#$%^s. They have the authenticater for a reason, its how you use your account that keeps it safe.
11/19/2013 07:39 PMPosted by SALUTE666
If your stupid enough to have your account hacked then stiff !@#$%^s. They have the authenticater for a reason, its how you use your account that keeps it safe.

From a somewhat informal survey years ago, about 40% of WoW players use an authenticator.

A news report from a few months back indicated that less than half of all Windows users have antivirus, despite some of them being free to download and use.

Some people really shouldn't be anywhere near a computer.