Finally Caved

General Discussion
From the Wiki
Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPG, action/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined sub-genre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games.

Because Diablo 3 is one........

OK, D3 has the action... so what part of this game is RPG? ..in any way, shape or form?

No part, because all elements of RPG have been stripped completely.

Unless you could clarify otherwise, I would Love to hear about it...
From the Wiki
Action role-playing games (abbreviated action RPG, action/RPG, or ARPG) form a loosely defined sub-genre of role-playing video games that incorporate elements of action or action-adventure games, emphasizing real-time action where the player has direct control over characters, instead of turn-based or menu-based combat. These games often use combat systems similar to hack and slash or shooter games.

Because Diablo 3 is one........

OK, D3 has the action... so what part of this game is RPG? ..in any way, shape or form?

No part, because all elements of RPG have been stripped completely.

Unless you could clarify otherwise, I would Love to hear about it...

From the Wiki
A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines

Because Diablo 3 does that too.....
From the Wiki
A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development. Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines

Is that so?
What role does anyone act out in D3?
We follow a direct scripted scenario and have no choice in anything within this entire game except what skillset we want to use and what gear we are going to wear.
What character development do we have? Oh, that's right... none, we just select what is given to us on yet another scripted system of hand holding, or better yet, being drug around on leash and collar.
If anything, this game would fit nicely on an Arcade Machine.
D3 cannot be anymore simplistic than it already is. It's mind numbingly simplistic..
From the Wiki

Is that so?
What role does anyone act out in D3?
We follow a direct scripted scenario and have no choice in anything within this entire game except what skillset we want to use and what gear we are going to wear.
What character development do we have? Oh, that's right... none, we just select what is given to us on yet another scripted system of hand holding, or better yet, being drug around on leash and collar.
If anything, this game would fit nicely on an Arcade Machine.
D3 cannot be anymore simplistic than it already is. It's mind numbingly simplistic..

Barbarian, Monk, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter, Wizard, and soon Crusader. Acquiring and choosing gear and skillsets is character development. Soon we'll be able to increase stats and secondary attributes with the new paragon system. ARPGs are an outgrowth of arcade machines.. No one ever (correctly) said ARPGs were deep.
Diablo was considered a dungeon crawler, Diablo 2 set out to be more of an ARPG which dungeon crawler can fall into, D3 is neither of those.. D3 has been stripped to the core, all elements of RPG are gone, it has become a linear hack n slash with no meaningful choices throughout the entire game.
You can think of it as one for the sake of the series if you really want to, but it's just not and that's all there is to it.
Maybe the expansion will bring back some of the RPG which I kind of doubt, but as it stands it's a childs game with no depth at all.
-isometric hack n slash-]

"No one ever said ARPGs were deep"
What? the term RPG implies deep.. whether it be pen and paper, video game, or whatever.
Ignore the guy with the loose definition of what "RPG" is in the gaming sense.

In the table top sense he is correct, however under his definition every game made is an RPG.

CoD? Playing the role of some soldier.
Civilization? Playing the role of a leader.
etc

In the gaming world RPG generally refers to character customization and creating some identity with your individual character. Something which this game lacks severely.

You can continue to argue semantics with him if you want though.
Semantics aren't really important and the RPG term has been well corrupted for quite some time.

We can agree that D3 qualifies loosely as an ARPG and also that it sucks.
Diablo was considered a dungeon crawler, Diablo 2 set out to be more of an ARPG which dungeon crawler can fall into, D3 is neither of those.. D3 has been stripped to the core, all elements of RPG are gone, it has become a linear hack n slash with no meaningful choices throughout the entire game.
You can think of it as one for the sake of the series if you really want to, but it's just not and that's all there is to it.
Maybe the expansion will bring back some of the RPG which I kind of doubt, but as it stands it's a childs game with no depth at all.

What? the term RPG implies deep.. whether it be pen and paper, video game, or whatever.

No, All Diablo games have almost universally been considered ARPGs. They have in a large part defined the genre. If Diablo isn't an ARPG nothing is. Depth isn't a criteria of RPGs at all. You've been given the information. If you choose to be willfully ignorant it's your choice.
Semantics aren't really important and the RPG term has been well corrupted for quite some time.

We can agree that D3 qualifies loosely as an ARPG and also that it sucks.

I don't agree actually, I don't think D3 even loosely qualifies as ARPG, and I think that you think it does simply for the fact that the previous 2 actually did.
And yes, it sucks. That part is fact
No All Diablo games have almost universally been considered ARPGs. They have in a large part defined the genre If Diablo isn't an ARPG nothing is. Depth isn't a criteria of RPGs at all. You've been given the information. If you choose to be willfully ignorant it's your choice.

lol, this guy... You've given Me information?
Comedy at its finest.. I've been gaming pretty much on a daily basis for 27 years, I know what an RPG is and what qualifies as one.
D3 isn't.

But, think what you want, all you kids do it nowadays anyway, changing the meaning of things on a whim to fit your personal criteria.

Not going to continue arguing any further.
I'm in the same boat. I tried to do the achievements to keep me interested, got most of them done but I am not a fan of the rare monster spawns just so boring having to continually reset...I also can't do HC. In fact I just recently bought D3 for the console (360) and am enjoying playing through that with a few friends so that is nice and refreshing I guess.

OP two questions -

First - how/when did they increase the monster AI? I must have missed that. They increased the monster density but as far as I know the monsters' AI (and especially boss fights) are still terrible and boring.

Second question - I understand how you are bored, but man how are you gonna quit less than 2k elite kills from 100k!
OP, if you are that bored try a different class. 98% of your 100k elite kills are with a monk. You might be surprised to find out how little you really know about other classes. It may give you some temporary relief from the boredom.
Omniscient

As someone else suggested, sometimes just taking a break from the game works well at restoring some lost enthusiasm for it. I think to, in reading/watching videos about all the changes that are slated for the expansion, it makes currently playing this game seem especially limited. I play now only in short bursts. There are no 'marathon sessions' left in me for D3. I've recently taken to shifting up the music I listen to while playing, which seems to have helped somewhat. The updates have been painfully few and far between. We all need something new to chew on.

This suggestion listed below can help too. Unless you're on full tilt, in which case, just back off of it completely for awhile.

11/18/2013 05:32 AMPosted by KillerElite
You might be surprised to find out how little you really know about other classes. It may give you some temporary relief from the boredom.

Happy Trails
11/17/2013 11:30 PMPosted by DamienJohn
RoS and 2.0 pretty much directly address the concerns you had with the game, namely the reward loop and replayability. It doesn't make sense to me that you only might return considering how much time you've invested. :P

It makes perfect sense if you've learned the one steady lesson that the D3 dev team has taught us over this past year and a half. They don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

OP is absolutely right when he says he plans to wait and see what RoS actually does offer.

Are we seriously going to sit here and pretend that the D3 dev team hasn't continually dangled a carrot over our heads before a patch/fix/change w/e only to go in a completely different direction again and again.

I'm right there with you, OP.
11/18/2013 03:25 AMPosted by Zymurgeist

Barbarian, Monk, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter, Wizard, and soon Crusader. Acquiring and choosing gear and skillsets is character development. Soon we'll be able to increase stats and secondary attributes with the new paragon system. ARPGs are an outgrowth of arcade machines.. No one ever (correctly) said ARPGs were deep.

Let me tell you about my favorite RPG.

In it I get to choose between playing as a plumber who is sporting a red outfit, or one that is sporting a very trendy green one. I always choose the green one because it fits my personality better and I relate more. These characters go on some crazy adventures in a fictional kingdom. I don't know if I agree with their philosophy, of jumping everyone that they see, but I guess they do what has to be done.

Much like D3's very complex, in depth storyline of killing the devil, these two characters primarily concern themselves with rescuing the princess. Crazy broad keeps going missing and I really feel for these guys when they put in levels of effort, only to realize that the princess was being kept in another castle. Silly princess! It's a bit of a raw deal, searching for princesses and only finding mushrooms. It really builds suspense because I get tingly with excitement every time I enter a castle because I never know if this is the right one or not.

And decisions, wow, don't even get me started!!! I was playing one level, I already had chosen fire elemental damage, but when I hit this box, a wind elemental weapon dropped. I had to choose then and there whether to stick with my fire build, or switch skills to the air elemental build. The air elemental is capable of some sick moves, like fly and hover, but the fire elemental does some pretty brutal ranged damage. Needless to say, I went with the air elemental because my character wearing green likes forests, and it makes sense that he should be able to fly to one whenever he wanted and hang out with the animals and just chill in the trees.

Anyway, I am really having fun playing this game. I think I might level up a few more toons. I really don't know whether to try another green plumber but this time pick a different skillset to specialize in, or try the red one. I think I might play the green guy again, but play a water elemental plumber. I heard that the skill, swim, can be pretty awesome and I need the water armor to equip it.

Man, I love this ARPG!!!
Let me tell you about my favorite RPG.

In it I get to choose between playing as a plumber who is sporting a red outfit, or one that is sporting a very trendy green one. I always choose the green one because it fits my personality better and I relate more. These characters go on some crazy adventures in a fictional kingdom. I don't know if I agree with their philosophy, of jumping everyone that they see, but I guess they do what has to be done.

Much like D3's very complex, in depth storyline of killing the devil, these two characters primarily concern themselves with rescuing the princess. Crazy broad keeps going missing and I really feel for these guys when they put in levels of effort, only to realize that the princess was being kept in another castle. Silly princess! It's a bit of a raw deal, searching for princesses and only finding mushrooms. It really builds suspense because I get tingly with excitement every time I enter a castle because I never know if this is the right one or not.

And decisions, wow, don't even get me started!!! I was playing one level, I already had chosen fire elemental damage, but when I hit this box, a wind elemental weapon dropped. I had to choose then and there whether to stick with my fire build, or switch skills to the air elemental build. The air elemental is capable of some sick moves, like fly and hover, but the fire elemental does some pretty brutal ranged damage. Needless to say, I went with the air elemental because my character wearing green likes forests, and it makes sense that he should be able to fly to one whenever he wanted and hang out with the animals and just chill in the trees.

Anyway, I am really having fun playing this game. I think I might level up a few more toons. I really don't know whether to try another green plumber but this time pick a different skillset to specialize in, or try the red one. I think I might play the green guy again, but play a water elemental plumber. I heard that the skill, swim, can be pretty awesome and I need the water armor to equip it.

Man, I love this ARPG!!!

lol... excellent response, loved it.
On that note, Super Mario RPG was a damn good game, though I always wondered why you could never use Luigi...
Well you sure played a lot =] I'm surprised you didn't opt for Hardcore, personally, as I think you would've had a lot more fun over all >_<

No, All Diablo games have almost universally been considered ARPGs. They have in a large part defined the genre. If Diablo isn't an ARPG nothing is. Depth isn't a criteria of RPGs at all. You've been given the information. If you choose to be willfully ignorant it's your choice.

I did read the whole post. Its like they just dont read or understnad or just ignore 3/4 of the wiki links u gave.

Op i had the problem too!
Look the elitekill counter Neo is my first acc started playing this game on day1 i was SO BORED of not getting upgrades or those was way to overpriced that i just started to sell the gold i farmed on the rmah.
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Neo-2279/
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Trinity-2654/
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Morpheus-2850/
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Apoc-2358/

After i saw streamers multiboxing this game i asked if its legal... and it was...
That was like a fresh start for me.
Finally there was a reason to use the gold i farmed on upgrades which didnt cost 100 of hours playing.

I did also play just 1 char the wd and i didnt want even try the others.
When i started to multibox i was able to even play all classes and even made them all 100!
For me multiboxing made this game fun again.
And i am not done yet! 1 year of multiboxing now without itemflipping or gold buying.
Exactly the same way u play.
If u dont like to play in groups too thats a solution i would suggest.
Right now i got again the same problem. But only becasue i am done with all classes (paragon 100). I could farm 100 of hours for upgrades but its just not worth the effort.
So i just hunt elites until the next patch is comeing.

There are some videos:

My first 100 Multiboxed WD:
http://www.twitch.tv/diabloips/c/2406092
My first 100 Multiboxed WIZZard:
http://www.twitch.tv/diabloips/c/2437591
My first 100 Multiboxed Deamonhunter:
http://www.twitch.tv/diabloips/c/2497360
My first 100 Multiboxed Monk:
http://www.twitch.tv/diabloips/c/2566800
My first 100 Multiboxed Barb:
http://www.twitch.tv/diabloips/c/2803450
My 2nd 100 Multiboxed Wd:
http://www.twitch.tv/diabloips/c/3236838

I dont want to start a multibox discussion here... again.
Its just my expirience with this game i like to share because its similar to OPs situation.
The Legend of Zelda is an Action RPG. O.o

I think the term you're looking for is "rogue-like dungeon crawler" because Action RPG can encompass anything from Diablo, to Zelda, and even stuff like Skyrim.
GL, HF Omni! Hope to see you around Sanctuary again soon. :)