Why BoA will not stop RMT or BOTS.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 11 Next
How do you even transfer the bot account into your own account? You would have to play the bot account separately... and be excluded from your friends list on your main account that has your other Blizzard games on it. And then there's the inconvenience of having to re-log into different accounts to play a different game.
See and there is the issue, you WANT to play a harder MP you are not FORCED to play a harder MP. You can CHOOSE to play the harder MP level. If you dont have the gear to survive then you arent going to have much fun right.

Man this is one of the clearest explanation of "forced to buy" argument...

11/15/2013 04:39 PMPosted by Kookymunster
Umm.. Hello?? this is not the real world, This is fantasy! So maybe you need to to understand what a concept is..Because attempting to mix a fantasy game with real world issues is not a very good concept, And can lead to delusional thought patterns.

Sure it does.Patterns like "you must earn", or "you must deserve" your stuff". This one of such patterns, you have a point Sir.

Will they tell me what to drink too, if I get thirsty and need a break?

Personally, IDGAF how they want me to play it. It's my spare time, not theirs.

Very rude, but correct.
11/15/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Nephalem
They want you to play the game to find gear to play with.

Will they tell me what to drink too, if I get thirsty and need a break?

Personally, IDGAF how they want me to play it. It's my spare time, not theirs.

Soon they will tell us what we can eat. You can't eat bananas today, because not all people are rich enough to buy banana.
The only real way I see a "bot" making any profit as far as say 3rd party sites is power leveling. That being said , why would someone buy a game and expac just to have someone ELSE play for them?
They wont be able to collect legends and sell them (boa) gold is only useful for crafting and repairs and objectives in game from screenshots give a TON of gold. Yellows CAN be worth something but only to specific people, there wont be as much "cookie cutter" in the xpac so its just NOT worth their time. Selling accounts is a risk most people wont take. Only takes a few hours of grinding yourself to max level or with a team its been cut to under 20 mins now.
So the only people botting worth it it seems would be a program on your own account with automation (bot) and with new monster affixes etc, it would take at least weeks to tweak that out to be efficient assuming you had all the patterns down tight and had the gear to survive.
Just seems all counter intuitive to PLAYING a game.
Its like buying a book full of crosswords that are already all completed for you, whats the point lol
11/16/2013 12:40 PMPosted by Angst
why would someone buy a game and expac just to have someone ELSE play for them?

the exact same argument can be used for item sales.

why would someone buy a game and expac just to hve someone ELSE find items for them?

clearly your line of reasoning never worked.
11/16/2013 12:40 PMPosted by Angst
Its like buying a book full of crosswords that are already all completed for you, whats the point lol

Huh?! You got a book of crosswords already completed?
How much you asking for it??
I need it so my gf thinks I'm great a x-words!
Please man.. please. Just name your price. I HAVE TO HAVE IT!
What the OP fails to address in my opinion is the impact of botting or account selling with a BoA system in place compared to the impact of them without a BoA system.

I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that botting will continue to be rampant and that account selling may even increase ten fold. But because of the added effort required and the added sacrifices needed to obtain the rewards, it's going to be SUBSTANTIALLY less rampant than it is in an open trade.

There's no way you can convince the market would be as bad as it is now if we had BoA from launch. Open trade would reach these levels but it might have taken another year to reach that point. BoA could easily take 10+ years to reach this same point.

The amount of players willing to flip-to-win are far greater than those willing to pay a 3rd party site to farm with for random drops on good faith for hours at a time. It's 100% good faith as well. There's no way to detect if the seller is holding onto a chase legendary. They could keep all of the nat rings and mempo helms they wanted and you'd never know. So long as they drop you low to semi-high desirable legendary's you'd be known the wiser.

Expecting a mass amount of players to easily give up their account name, achievements, profile history, gear, gold, re-establish friends lists etc to buy an account with a gear upgrade is also false. There are a TON of sacrifices to be made to get this one temporary advantage. Are we to expect that this 'pay-to-win' account player will simply buy new accounts every time a new popular build hits the market?

The negative impact of BoA on the total economy of the game and on cheating will likely be a tiny fraction of the current impact. 1/100th of the impact of an open trade game might still be a generous (albeit made up) figure.
The same principal applies to illegal drugs. They are illegal, there is border security to try to catch it coming in, and it does result in some being taken out of the system but it can never catch everything.

+1, very good association
Where are a lot of gamers = money , where is money = botters/hackers or people who will always trick the system
There is no such thing as an ideal society where everything goes perfect .This are just facts of life .
11/16/2013 12:59 PMPosted by SoulScar
The same principal applies to illegal drugs. They are illegal, there is border security to try to catch it coming in, and it does result in some being taken out of the system but it can never catch everything.

Where are a lot of gamers = money , where is money = botters/hackers or people who will always trick the system
There is no such thing as an ideal society where everything goes perfect .This are just facts of life .

except making all drugs legal is a hotly contested topic. there's many reasons why the world would be a better place if the govt controlled drugs instead. i don't want blizzard controlling my, "drugs" aka, "items" but i wouldn't mind the govt controlling the drugs coming into this country. apples to oranges.
people who cannot trade are more likely to run a bot or multibox.
I should make a thread about why no one would care.

except making all drugs legal is a hotly contested topic. there's many reasons why the world would be a better place if the govt controlled drugs instead. i don't want blizzard controlling my, "drugs" aka, "items" but i wouldn't mind the govt controlling the drugs coming into this country. apples to oranges.

Meanwhile, the FDA approves thousands of chemicals toxic to your health.
I should make a thread about why no one cares.

Meanwhile, the FDA approves thousands of chemicals toxic to your health.

i have the option to buy locally grown, organic food tho. blizzard's proposition leaves no option in its place. like i said, apples to oranges.
What the OP fails to address in my opinion is the impact of botting or account selling with a BoA system in place compared to the impact of them without a BoA system.

I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that botting will continue to be rampant and that account selling may even increase ten fold. But because of the added effort required and the added sacrifices needed to obtain the rewards, it's going to be SUBSTANTIALLY less rampant than it is in an open trade.

There's no way you can convince the market would be as bad as it is now if we had BoA from launch. Open trade would reach these levels but it might have taken another year to reach that point. BoA could easily take 10+ years to reach this same point.

The amount of players willing to flip-to-win are far greater than those willing to pay a 3rd party site to farm with for random drops on good faith for hours at a time. It's 100% good faith as well. There's no way to detect if the seller is holding onto a chase legendary. They could keep all of the nat rings and mempo helms they wanted and you'd never know. So long as they drop you low to semi-high desirable legendary's you'd be known the wiser.

Expecting a mass amount of players to easily give up their account name, achievements, profile history, gear, gold, re-establish friends lists etc to buy an account with a gear upgrade is also false. There are a TON of sacrifices to be made to get this one temporary advantage. Are we to expect that this 'pay-to-win' account player will simply buy new accounts every time a new popular build hits the market?

The negative impact of BoA on the total economy of the game and on cheating will likely be a tiny fraction of the current impact. 1/100th of the impact of an open trade game might still be a generous (albeit made up) figure.

Don't know where it was quoted but the devs said that all legs will be announced when the drop in game for everyone. So that argument is out the window.
11/16/2013 10:55 AMPosted by Badfish
The argument is not made that profit for the bitter will stay the same. The argument is that it will not eliminate rmt/botting because there will still be a way to do it. As long as there is a profit to be made it will happen.

Where's the profit? Buying $100+ bucks in Diablo 3/ROS licenses to level up a toon and sell for what?

No, you haven't constructed a single scenario where botting leads to a reasonable expectation of large profits. At best you'll have bots picking up rares and gold and selling both--but the demand for these pieces will be trivial compared to the open economy today.
11/16/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Ossian
The argument is not made that profit for the bitter will stay the same. The argument is that it will not eliminate rmt/botting because there will still be a way to do it. As long as there is a profit to be made it will happen.

Where's the profit? Buying $100+ bucks in Diablo 3/ROS licenses to level up a toon and sell for what?

No, you haven't constructed a single scenario where botting leads to a reasonable expectation of large profits. At best you'll have bots picking up rares and gold and selling both--but the demand for these pieces will be trivial compared to the open economy today.

How about a total different scenario. Selling bots? If the Bot makers can't profit from running them themselves, they can sell them to people instead.
11/16/2013 01:34 PMPosted by Ossian
you haven't constructed a single scenario where botting leads to a reasonable expectation of large profits.

there's no need to. the scenario is already real. ignoring them demonstrates a strong case of ignorance, nothing more.
11/16/2013 12:41 PMPosted by Baconan
why would someone buy a game and expac just to have someone ELSE play for them?

why would someone buy a game and expac just to hve someone ELSE find items for them?

You reinforced my argument then say it never worked? it does work and hence why the AH is going and BOA is coming.
11/16/2013 01:49 PMPosted by Angst

You reinforced my argument then say it never worked? it does work and hence why the AH is going and BOA is coming.

i didn't reinforce your argument in any way tho
11/16/2013 01:37 PMPosted by KingD
Selling bots? If the Bot makers can't profit from running them themselves, they can sell them to people instead.

The bots will be very easy to inspect when made public.
In that case, they're much easier to combat as well.
The bots will be very easy to inspect when made public.
In that case, they're much easier to combat as well.

AS easy as now?
Bots are already public, there are forums where you can buy a license and a subscription for a bot...