D3 Needs Competition, Why Not Competitive PvE?!

General Discussion
Hello fellow Diablo players (and hopefully Blues, too!),

I’d like to outline an idea I’ve just come up with meant to improve the endgame—and, therefore, the replayability and longevity—of Diablo 3.

Before getting into it, though, I’d like to preface my proposal by saying that this idea is by no means meant to replace direct PvP as a form of competitive gameplay; ideally, something along the lines of what I will detail below would coexist alongside PvP, as well as Ladder.

Now, as the title states, the idea is to implement a competitive PvE mode.

What do I mean by competitive PvE, though?...read on!

Concept

Essentially, with this game mode (or event or whatever would be done for its implementation), players within a group would each be given an identical dungeon to complete individually. So, everyone would be playing the exact same dungeon, but on their own (and these dungeons would be entirely randomized like with the Nephalem Rift system). The goal of each player would be to complete the dungeon before the other players in the group (completion would entail killing the boss on the final level of the dungeon). Then, once the second to last player has completed the dungeon, the event will end and each player will be awarded a number of resplendent chests based on their place (with a group of four players, 1st place would get 4 chests, 2nd place 3, 3rd place 2, and 4th place 1. Or, for a harsher system, 1st place would get 3, 2nd place 2, 3rd place 1, and 4th place 0).

Obvious Problems and How to Address Them

Now, there are two obvious problems I see that can be easily addressed (let me know if you think of anything else, even if it completely destroys the idea).

1) An obvious, abusive strategy could be to use a high mobility build to get to the end of the dungeon as fast as possible without ever fighting any monsters. However, my solution against this is that each level requires the players to kill a percentage of the monsters therein in order to proceed to the next level. Alternatively, there could be a specific monster that drops a key to unlock the door to the next level (think like Doom, when you have to collect the colored keys to get through the exit for the level you’re currently on).

2) Finishing the dungeon before the rest of the group means that you have to sit around waiting for the other players to finish. For this, upon completing the dungeon, waves of enemies would begin to spawn until the other players have finished, so that those players who have finished have something productive to do (and there could even be a chance for treasure goblins to spawn during this, though that might be a bit much).

Additional Note and an Alternative (but similar) Idea

Something else that I thought would be really cool with this is group versus group competition. So, you’d have, say, four groups of 2-4 players each grouped into a mega-group together, and each individual group would cooperate just as in normal group play to complete the dungeon, but it would of course be in competition against the other group(s) involved.

An alternative—though, in my opinion, less interesting—idea would be to have, instead of a dungeon, just waves of enemies (like the Jar of Souls event). And there would be a time limit, and players would be ranked on the amount of monsters they killed over that period of time.

Conclusion

Whether you like this exact idea or not, I think that something along these lines would be very beneficial to Diablo 3, making for a better endgame experience, increasing replayability and longevity, and encouraging player interaction.

I’d like to hear the community’s thoughts on this (and Blues!), so comment away!

And thanks for reading!

- Nick

TLDR; Basically, group members race to individually complete a Nephalem Rift dungeon, and are rewarded for what place they finish in.
bump
Who said they want longevity?

All current signs show that they don't!

They want to hype everyone up, so they buy the RoS box.

Then they want everyone to be DONE with the game in about 20-40 hours.

After that you are just unnecessary server load to them!
Who said they want longevity?

All current signs show that they don't!

They want to hype everyone up, so they buy the RoS box.

Then they want everyone to be DONE with the game in about 20-40 hours.

After that you are just unnecessary server load to them!

While there is every possibility that you are correct, I highly doubt that this is the case.

Of course, we'll never truly know which of us is right on the matter; that being the case, I'd rather assume that Blizzard does care about the game, and contribute constructive criticism instead of fabricate wildly cynical conspiracy theories.
I believe that when Blizz adds ladders it will be more than enough competition for this game.