Diablo III is not ARPG, IT IS ACTION-SLASHER. Look.

General Discussion
+ 1 YES
- 1 NO

+1

Taking into account 4 ppl group, no PvP, poor character customization, absence of roles in party and Disney Atmosphere I reckon that D3 is More “shooter” than Battlefield or Call of Duty. Even in those games we can see much more diversity of individual tactics/ building, while all RPG (Including ARPG) are usually based on the class individualism.

What do you think on this matter?
Sadly I agree that D3 lacks character customization, a lot of it mind you, I am not sure your OP means anything since you have chosen action slasher as a label to represent something unclear.
Yeah no doutb that right now D3 is just a "KILL KILL KILL and FARM FARM FARM" game and nothing else, thats why in RoS they will implemented more cuztomization to the characters, hope with the pass of time after the release more features will be added... and not about to wait to another EXP...
blizzard dont REALLY listen, to busy making a port for console.
RRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr THIS MAKE ME SO ANGRY!
But yeah sure. D3 does lack rp elements.

If I made the game, I'd make it with random levels as you go along with random villages and citys where you could stop and craft, pick up some quests maybe and vendor.
I would have a story, which is fine. But once that was completed, I'd try and make it an adventure with random friendly encounters and random craft opportunitys on the way.
I'd also have the vendors sell cool stuff and I'd make it void of hoarding as I'd limit both the inventory and the stash to a minimum.
I'd do it so you could randomly encounter other adventurers on the way and I think I would like a free pvp mode if people would like to fight eachother or escape when they encountered eachother, or work together ofcourse.
I'd make random bosses and I'd make the game more tactical and hard.
If there was a quest in a village to defeat the horde of undead, there would be a journey to the evil necromancers tower and along that journey you could meet other people with other quests and you could decide to share those quests.
I'd also like it if you could decide whether to be good or evil and even if that was decided while playing, so you could actually help the necromancer destroy the village.
It would be sort of a patchwork instance system where your instance overlapped into others instances so you could confront strangers randomly while playing.
I'd put the emphasis on character development and less on gear.
I'd do it hardcore for those who wanted and make it so it was possible to attain a strong character within a reasonable amount of time without dependancy on loot and emphasis on completing quests and adventuring.
But that would be a completly different game than D3.

What D3 could really use is more weight on specializing the character.
Perhaps they'll tune the paragon levels at some point allowing you different unique specializations once they've consolidated the basic functions?
Like if I took all ias, I could pick a large bonus to ias but then I couldn't get the enhanced resourse generation? If I took a mighty defense, I couldn't get the best ias..
If I specialized in firespells, I had to pick specializing in frost or lighting? Or pick some other specialization?
12/02/2013 04:19 AMPosted by Koil
blizzard dont REALLY listen, to busy making a port for console.

This. console exclusives are already confirmed. not joking.
IGN labels the game as: Genre: Third-Person Action.
No RPG elements what so ever :(

It lists Diablo 2 the same way. This is true when you think about it. D2 allows for re-spec now which removes permanency from the experience. Diablo 2 is just an action-slasher now as well.
People get so angry that this game isn't what they thought it was going to be. Diablo is and has always been an arcade hack n slash game. There has never been character development where you make important choices that determine how the rest of the game unfolds, and there never will be. If you don't like that kind of game play, then go play another game. It's that simple. This kind of a game is almost a background thing, where you listen to music, chill out and enter an almost meditative state of mind.
There will be an iteration of Planescape:Torment.
Which has the potential of greatness.
I suppose they'll use d&d ruleset and with it comes an enormous amount of customization. Haven't checked up too closely on the development though.
It always stand the chance to be a horrible and pale shadow of the original.
I sincerly hope they pull through, their kickstarter was more than successful.
12/02/2013 09:52 AMPosted by TheEscapist
People get so angry that this game isn't what they thought it was going to be. Diablo is and has always been an arcade hack n slash game. There has never been character development where you make important choices that determine how the rest of the game unfolds, and there never will be. If you don't like that kind of game play, then go play another game. It's that simple. This kind of a game is almost a background thing, where you listen to music, chill out and enter an almost meditative state of mind.

You are correct in the basics of Diablo, hack n slash arcade game. But Diablo took it to the next level. No longer did you have to shove quarters into an arcade game to continue playing. It brought in the old school feel of D&D with saved progression and in-depth roles. And like in D&D, the decisions you made were not easily reversed.

I figure the move away from 'permanent' builds is to please the masses, but it was also a move away from what made it great. Having repercussions to your actions is a good thing, even when it is a bad thing.