RoS Wizard Tools (updated for v2.6.4)

Wizard
1 2 3 13 Next
I created this set of tools for my own use and decided that they could be of benefit to others. The tools are designed to remove a lot of the guess work from gearing choices and give you a as accurate an estimate of your wizard's potential in various aspects as possible.

What it includes:

-Tool to help with calculating the eDPS of various spell combinations
-Tool to calculate the APoC and LoH returns of spells and their "spam-ability"
-Tool for calculating Mitigation and Sustain
-Tool that calculates changes in DPS, Mit & eHP with stat changes.
-Tool for calculating Cooldown Reduction and Cost Reduction
-Tool for calculating the Firebird 6-piece DoT damage and infinite DoT threshold
-Tool for calculating damage within a Tal Rasha 6-piece skill rotation.
-Tables for all breakpoints (Yes, they still very much exist in RoS).
-Reference page of stats for skills with some notes on behavior

(Requires Microsoft Excel or compatible spreadsheet software)
Download location:
http://www.olynick.net/d3/tools

VOD of the Wizard Tools Workshop on April19, 2015:
http://www.twitch.tv/vizjereiclan/c/6569262

Let me know what you think.

-dolynick
12/21/2013 05:37 PMPosted by dolynick
http://www.olynick.net/d3/tools

Pretty obvious keylogger.
12/21/2013 05:55 PMPosted by EmperorMao

Pretty weak troll.

-dolynick
Thanks, doly!

Will definitely check this out when I get home. Quite interested in your findings on meteor and how they'll work with my skill set.
12/21/2013 06:36 PMPosted by dolynick

Pretty weak troll.

-dolynick

It can't be a weak troll if it's not trolling.
12/21/2013 09:05 PMPosted by EmperorMao

I won't lose any sleep if you opt not to use it.

-dolynick
12/21/2013 07:18 PMPosted by MrDuMa
Thanks, doly!

Will definitely check this out when I get home. Quite interested in your findings on meteor and how they'll work with my skill set.

You're welcome Duma. Let me know if you find it helpful or not.

-dolynick
It's going to take me a while to wrap my head around all the details but looks like a pretty useful spreadsheet.

Don't worry, key-logger free.
12/21/2013 09:20 PMPosted by dolynick

I won't lose any sleep if you opt not to use it.

-dolynick

I wouldn't think so. Losing sleep over a small joke isn't healthy.
12/21/2013 09:29 PMPosted by Ley
It's going to take me a while to wrap my head around all the details but looks like a pretty useful spreadsheet.

Don't worry, key-logger free.

The latest version that I uploaded a few minutes ago has a light-gray fill on all the fields where you are actually supposed to modify/enter values of your own. It might make it a bit easier to work with if it seems a bit overwhelming. I've also tried to color code things for various types of related fields for the same reason. Still, something like the eDPS calc tool is just simply a complicated thing just because of all the factors that come into play for the final number - especially if I am trying to include as many factors as possible.

-dolynick
Took a fresh look at it this morning and it started making more sense. The color coding helps a lot and the light-gray definitely helps clarify how to use it.

I was going to ask a bunch of questions but after messing around with it, I seem to have answered them for myself.

I can't imagine how much work you had to put into this but it shows, thank you.
So very well done Doly!
Ley,

I'm glad to hear that adding the shaded input cells and color coding has made it a little more self-explanatory. That was the goal.

Melk,

Thanks. I thought you might like this.

-dolynick
Nice work. But how certain are you regarding the proc coefficients?
I have only tested very few and only on PTR, not beta. But there's already quite a few differences between what your sheet says and what I found. Here are my preliminary results for Magic Missile and Shock Pulse:

Magic Missile
    0 - No Rune : 1.0 per hit
    1 - Charged Blast : 1.0 per hit
    2 - Glacial Spike : 0.93 per hit
    3 - Split : 0.31 per hit
    4 - Seeker : 1.0 per hit
    5 - Conflagrate : 0.995 per hit plus 0.995 once for the DoT (not stackable?) wtf?

Shock Pulse
    0 - No Rune : 0.93 per hit
    1 - Explosive Bolts : 0.93 per hit
    2 - Fire Bolts : 0.93 per hit
    3 - Piercing Orb : 0.77 per hit
    4 - Power Affinity : 0.93 per hit
    5 - Living Lightning : ~0.05375 per hit

All tested with 400 LoH. And yes, those numbers are weird.
apo,

I'm glad you approve of the tools.

To answer your question: I'm not really sure of the procs for all of the skills yet. That is one of the things that needs further exploration. I have started with the numbers that Tekk reported from the F&F beta for now.

I have tested only a few myself but it's not really my strong suit. I have a 920 LoH amulet I've been using so far as I get the chance but it's slow going. Once I get the major functionality of things settled, I can hopefully devote more time to testing of values.

Magic Missile - Conflagrate
Behaves very strangely.
Gives an immediate 2 proc rate on hit (~1.99 actually, both LoH and APoC) but nothing else over the DoT. The DoT definitely does have a proc rate though, since it can proc SA like crazy but somewhat inconsistently. I'm currently working calculating it as a proc of 0.2 with a tick rate of 3 for 3s (so 0.2 + 0.2*(0.1*9)=2). It gives me the proper APoC and LoH numbers but allows for an SA calculation that works as well.

Arcane Orb - Scorch
Another odd one.
Proc of 0.8. Can only proc LoH on the initial hit. APoC procs over the dot as well though. A tick coefficient of 3 (so 3*aps) plus 1 for intial hit seems to give me the best fit for the APoC returns I see with it at both 30 APoC@2APS w/70Cc and 20 APoC@1.36APS w/ 69CC. No other formula I've considered seems to work for both cases.

Basically, I'm puzzling things out and working backwards on some of the mechanics to explain what I see happening in game.

I was really you might be one of the people who read and responded to this thread. If you have testing numbers, please pass them all along. The good news is that I have set up the spreadsheet so that it's pretty easy to adjust it all by changing a single value in the Skill Info sheet (it's like a master variable list). I tried to plan ahead for future changes in numbers so they are more than welcome if anyone has updated info.

Are you certain that was over a full 8 ticks for the cast? Maybe a dumb question, but I just want to be sure before I replace the existing value I have in place. LL can be tricky because of it's variance tick hits per target.

-dolynick
Doly, I'm sure everyone appreciates the hard work and effort you put into this tool, so thank you. Tools like this are extremely helpful as well as discussion threads.

You were nominated as one of the top theorycrafters in Jaetch's awards. There's a reason I started calling you "the Professor" and hush the noise in the channel with "Listen to Doly!"
Oh okay. I was just confused because of the differences. Those two above are literally the only ones I have tested. I didn't want to put that much effort into it at this point. Numbers are likely to change and even if they don't... I still have to check every patch, because they might have.
And people don't seem to be as interested in proc coefficients as they were when CM was still around.

Magic Missile - Conflagrate
Behaves very strangely.
Gives an immediate 2 proc rate on hit (~1.99 actually, both LoH and APoC) but nothing else over the DoT. The DoT definitely does have a proc rate though, since it can proc SA like crazy but somewhat inconsistently. I'm currently working calculating it as a proc of 0.2 with a tick rate of 3 for 3s (so 0.2 + 0.2*(0.1*9)=2). It gives me the proper APoC and LoH numbers but allows for an SA calculation that works as well.
Yes I thought that was weird. I haven't done any testing with SA or APoC. What's interesting is that if you cast on a target that already has the DoT, you don't get any extra LoH besides the "impact" for 0.99 or whatever it is.
So somehow the DoT has stacking damage (right?), non stacking LoH and crazy APoC/SA. This will definitely require further testing.

Arcane Orb - Scorch
Another odd one.
Proc of 0.8. Can only proc LoH on the initial hit. APoC procs over the dot as well though. A tick coefficient of 3 (so 3*aps) plus 1 for intial hit seems to give me the best fit for the APoC returns I see with it at both 30 APoC@2APS w/70Cc and 20 APoC@1.36APS w/ 69CC. No other formula I've considered seems to work for both cases.

Ugh... This and what you report about MM - Conflagrate reminds me of how Deep Cuts works on live. One initial LoH proc and high frequency SA/CM procs during the duration of the DoT.
So seems like Blizzard decided to expand that really crappy idea of different mechanics for different kinds of procs.
It would've been such a great opportunity to remove all those downright irrational mechanics :/

Are you certain that was over a full 8 ticks for the cast? Maybe a dumb question, but I just want to be sure before I replace the existing value I have in place. LL can be tricky because of it's variance tick hits per target.

No that was one single hit/tick on one monster.
12/22/2013 12:44 PMPosted by apo
Oh okay. I was just confused because of the differences. Those two above are literally the only ones I have tested. I didn't want to put that much effort into it at this point. Numbers are likely to change and even if they don't... I still have to check every patch, because they might have.

That's my thought as well. For that reason, I've focused mostly on getting the tools working with previously tested values for now. The exceptions are previously unavailable skills with unknown tick/skill mechanics (like Conflagrate and Scorch).

The good news seems to be that it sounds like you intend to keep maintaining a proc coefficient list in the future. I will be sure to reference it when the time comes to make sure I have the right values for the live product.

And people don't seem to be as interested in proc coefficients as they were when CM was still around.

That's somewhat understandable but it's a mistake to stop considering them from here on out. They're still critical for APoC, LoH and SA.

Yes I thought that was weird. I haven't done any testing with SA or APoC. What's interesting is that if you cast on a target that already has the DoT, you don't get any extra LoH besides the "impact" for 0.99 or whatever it is.So somehow the DoT has stacking damage (right?), non stacking LoH and crazy APoC/SA. This will definitely require further testing.

No, I hadn't noticed the non-stacking LoH thing before. Yuck.

Ugh... This and what you report about MM - Conflagrate reminds me of how Deep Cuts works on live. One initial LoH proc and high frequency SA/CM procs during the duration of the DoT.So seems like Blizzard decided to expand that really crappy idea of different mechanics for different kinds of procs.It would've been such a great opportunity to remove all those downright irrational mechanics :/

I'm fully in agreement with that "Ugh". It makes things so much more difficult to figure out. A consistent system would be so much cleaner and simple. I forgot to mention that the DoT on Scorch cannot proc SA at all.

No that was one single hit/tick on one monster.

Sorry, that's what I meant. I assumed you tested with a total sum of ticks on monster and divided by tick number (hence the 8 question). Still, I'm glad they raised it, even if it's marginal.

I'm really surprised by the increases on some of the other runes. I did not expect those to change.

-dolynick
12/22/2013 12:13 PMPosted by jenpeezey
Doly, I'm sure everyone appreciates the hard work and effort you put into this tool, so thank you. Tools like this are extremely helpful as well as discussion threads.

You were nominated as one of the top theorycrafters in Jaetch's awards. There's a reason I started calling you "the Professor" and hush the noise in the channel with "Listen to Doly!"

Thanks Jen. <3

I figured I'd better do something to earn that nomination ;)

-dolynick
Looks very good, wow.