Did alot of your friends bought LoD or stayed with D2V

General Discussion
I didn't play Diablo 2, but would like to know if anyone knew the situation or have a guess as to how many people bought the LoD expansion for D2. Did alot of people stayed and just played D2V?
I bought LoD when it came out and enjoyed every minute of it. I will also buy RoS to. I haven't pre ordered it yet but I'll get around to it eventually.
the amazon basin mostly stuck with classic hc and kept to a no-hacks playstyle. i had a lot of fun playing with that bunch.
My friends and I all bought Diablo 2

Then we all bought the expansion for it because we all thought Diablo 2 was amazing.

none of my friends play Diablo 3 anymore, and it almost certain none of them will buy the expansion. I certainly wont be buying it.

funny how that works....
All of my buddies bought the expansion, it was terrific. The changes introduced were something to be excited about. Naming an item, socketing & charms!
Every single person I played with bought the expansion. Back than I only played with a core group of RL friends. Now days I play with people from all over the globe. Unfortunately most of them have quit D3 or play very seldom. I supose that's what happens when we are all 40 something with kids and FT jobs.
I don't know anyone who stuck with regular D2 once LOD.

Until yesterday I didn't even know it was possible to still play D2 classic after LoD hit.

Personally I don't see why anyone would want to keep playing a game but not the current version. Everything you do is obsolete so why bother?
I purchased D2 expansion and thought it a very good improvement. It also provided higher display resolution if I remember correctly.
01/01/2014 05:35 AMPosted by TheNightOwl

Until yesterday I didn't even know it was possible to still play D2 classic after LoD hit.

Personally I don't see why anyone would want to keep playing a game but not the current version. Everything you do is obsolete so why bother?

It was a different experience with different challenges.

Then you could convert your characters to Expansion, and start the difficulty you ended in, keeping quest progression.

I play D2 without LoD sometimes.
But most of all, I miss the guided arrow piercing targets multiple times. ... DAMNIT! Rant incoming!

[Rant]
Which reminds me of how the D3 devs failed to incorporate so much of the other great stuff:
-50% enemy poison resistance on a wand -- and monsters actually having meaningful resistances.

Removing monster resistances was like removing Armor and Resistances from all monsters in Dungeons and Dragons, or even in Diablo 2:
You always hit and your type of damage does not matter, ever, in Diablo 3.
I mean.
What. The. Actual. Hell were they thinking when they decided to make all monsters bags of flesh and all damage types Generic?

Not to mention the removal of meaningful resistances for players:
A fiery dungeon? No need to change gear -- All resistances takes care of fire damage.
A static, stormy, humid charged mountaintop? No need to change gear -- all resistances takes care of your lightning resistance needs.
A cave filled with incorporeal ghosts? No need to change weapons nor strategy: Physical weapons work the same.
An icy cavern completely swamped with thick-haired beasts and golems forged from evil spirits and ice? NO PROBLEM -- MY COLD SPELLS ARE JUST AS EFFECTIVE AGAINST THEM AS AGAINST ANY OTHER MONSTER.
01/01/2014 05:35 AMPosted by TheNightOwl

i still play diablo 1.

i installed d2 vanilla on my alt machine, very first version. i like to compare the games and play more for the atmosphere and the rp aspect. d2 vanilla had a better menu (music and background) and idk why, but i dont mind playing very outdated versions of a game, especially when it is so different. even vanilla, today, is still fun for me to play.