How about adding one skill slot ? 7 skill slots !

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
Since there is always one primary skill needed... I feel kind of frustrated to waste a skill slot for it.
Primary skill as in the skills with no/low resource cost?
Not exactly needed. Just very useful in many cases.
01/03/2014 01:40 PMPosted by Lyth
Since there is always one primary skill needed...

not true at all.

there are many, many builds for all classes where you dont need a primary/resource-generator. doubly so with loot 2.0.
-

six is plenty. and the limitation is need to keep build variety a reality. open it up too much and everyone would be the same, thus no point in 'builds'.
Once a month this is brought up.
I know Poe has 5 slots plus left/right/middle mouse skills for a total of 8 skills assigned.
Marvel has 6 slots plus left/right mouse skills and a toggle option. Total 8 skills. Then there is F key toggle options.

So maybe this will happen eventually. I personally like only having 6 skills in D3, as it makes combat easier and smoother.
01/03/2014 01:54 PMPosted by Socs
I personally like only having 6 skills in D3, as it makes combat easier and smoother.

me too. i think 6 is perfect.

also the number six IS perfect =)
Going to echo a similar response I gave to a thread that asked this same question a few months ago. Apologies for the overlap, but the answer hasn't changed since then. :)

So! No current plans to increase the 6-skill limit. We still feel that 6 is a good number, enough to give you flexibility in your build choices, but not too much to where you don't have to make thoughtful decisions about what you put on your bar. (We actually had 7 skills available for a pretty substantial period of time before Diablo III shipped; however, after lots of testing and feedback rounds, we reduced the number to 6. So, this is definitely something we've not only considered, but also evaluated heavily in the actual game environment.)

We know that some players may disagree with that approach (example: the OP). Totally cool, but let me turn the question back on you and then add a few more, because learning why you prefer one gameplay feature over another is super meaningful. Also, sometimes it can be pretty fun, too.

• How is having only six skill lots negatively impacting your gameplay experience right now? If you can cite specific examples, even better!
  • On the flip side, how would having an extra skill slot improve your game experience?
  • If you had a 7th skill slot, what additional spells or abilities would you add to your bar (on top of the builds you use currently)?

Note that players will get a 4th passive slot at level 70.
01/03/2014 04:59 PMPosted by Lylirra

Hmm I think much more than that, they aren't called Passive Skills but many of the new Legendary affixes may very well have been a Class Passive Skill, which is only more fun though.
How is having only six skill lots negatively impacting your gameplay experience right now? If you can cite specific examples, even better!

I'm forced to choose "the best" skills for an average range of conditions rather than having situational abilities available for when they're needed. Because of that, I never equip the situational skills. The need for spamming mass damage output occurs more often than the need to fight in a certain way, so my damage spells win out over the others.

On the flip side, how would having an extra skill slot improve your game experience?

I would be much more likely to make long cooldown skills part of my arsenal. Right now, there is very little reason for me to use an ability that won't be available half the time when I can use something else that is almost as effective but always available.

If you had a 7th skill slot, what additional spells or abilities would you add to your bar (on top of the builds you use currently)?

As a Hardcore WD, I'd be trying a lot more crowd control skills, skills that I don't use now because the game is so heavily weighted toward doing as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. Having more ability slots allows me to still do high damage when I need to and have abilities that help keep me alive rather than choosing between the two (which isn't a choice given that DPS is king).
Going to echo a similar response I gave to a thread that asked this same question a few months ago. Apologies for the overlap, but the answer hasn't changed since then. :)

So! No current plans to increase the 6-skill limit. We still feel that 6 is a good number, enough to give you flexibility in your build choices, but not too much to where you don't have to make thoughtful decisions about what you put on your bar. (We actually had 7 skills available for a pretty substantial period of time before Diablo III shipped; however, after lots of testing and feedback rounds, we reduced the number to 6. So, this is definitely something we've not only considered, but also evaluated heavily in the actual game environment.)

We know that some players may disagree with that approach (example: the OP). Totally cool, but let me turn the question back on you and then add a few more, because learning why you prefer one gameplay feature over another is super meaningful. Also, sometimes it can be pretty fun, too.

• How is having only six skill lots negatively impacting your gameplay experience right now? If you can cite specific examples, even better!
  • On the flip side, how would having an extra skill slot improve your game experience?
  • If you had a 7th skill slot, what additional spells or abilities would you add to your bar (on top of the builds you use currently)?

A question first from me would be why a hard 6 exactly should be the cut off point?

If it was me, I'd say I'd like to have as many Active Skill slots available as possible, so I could use the best one at any given moment. The only restriction is available keys on keyboard to keybind, but this is up to the players to manage, Also, by allowing more skills to be used at the same time there could be times where it could allow for new builds to be created
01/03/2014 05:13 PMPosted by DaFemaleBoss
A question first from me would be why a hard 6 exactly should be the cut off point?

limited slots makes people decide what they want most which creates builds and build diversity. having more skill slots decreases the decision making when choosing a build and creates more builds that blur together. mathematically more skills and less slots means more combinations of skills in slots, while more slots means less combinations (if position isnt important, which in this case it isnt). the only problem with this would be builds or skills considered op which take away the decisions, thus causing nerfing and buffing for balancing to make more skills enticing and some less overshadowing.
01/03/2014 05:23 PMPosted by OneL
Then why does D3 have very little build diversity?

01/03/2014 05:19 PMPosted by Sycoticpyro
the only problem with this would be builds or skills considered op which take away the decisions, thus causing nerfing and buffing for balancing to make more skills enticing and some less overshadowing.

If we consider that we only had 2 at Diablo 2, you guys already improved that by a lot ;) While many dislike your skill system, I really think its tons better than at D2. We have a much larger build diversity now, at D2 most classes had 2 or 3 viable specs and that's it. Everyone was the same.

First we had those orb or FW sorceress then with the synergy system for a short while the nova, then it all went FB / Meteor - it was not much fun at all.

At D3 we have at least more viable specs now and that's great.

Still,

my favorite stays the D1 system where we could be whatever we wanted to be. To find spell tomes and then adding those to our skill book, was just so much better :)
01/03/2014 06:11 PMPosted by Espinosa
D2 most classes had 2 or 3 viable specs and that's it.

i think its more accurate to say D2 most classes had 2 or 3 optimal specs. my favorite thing to do in D2 was use underused skills or make odd builds and for the most part could handle all of hell with something like a fireball pally or zeal sorc. lots of them required some specific items, some costly others found easily and some were just as do-able with the same gear used for the optimal builds. but as always, people gravitate towards the "best" things and only few tend to stray from those builds for long.

Makes sense doesn't it. Extra passive slot. Extra skill slot.

Considering you've changed the UI to incorporate the fourth passive and other things, surely you could incorporate the same style thing for another skill. Blacked out like they are while levelling and unlocked at say level 61. Then runes/passives etc. each level after. Way to make the expansion just that much more appealing.

Now, there is nothing wrong with the 6 slot system. In lots of ways you can justify and reason why it is fine. But an EXTRA slot grants so much more.

Not only at any one time you have a skill available for use without having to switch over, but it also opens up more possible builds.... WAY more.

Adding an extra skill that syncs with whatever builds are already out there for a start. But think of the builds that could be made BECAUSE of then 7th slot.

Full on cooldown build anyone? Having enough slots to be able to overlap certain cooldowns strategically would be awesome. Considering cooldowns are already in the game (which I don't like) then this would not only make them more usable to people that may not even have one on their bar at the moment, but open up possibilities of being able to actually strategically create builds based on time vs damage/CC. These builds could encourage SKILL.

I love the idea of unlocking an extra skill slot through levelling in expansion. :D
On a side note, if you think that an extra passive and an extra skill may be too much. Considering there would be 4 passive slots now, perhaps you could make some passives (the really powerful ones) take up 2 slots each. Another build changing method causing a choice between 2, 3 or 4 active passives. :D

This could even be a great idea on it's own for the new Crusaders passive "Heavenly Strength"? If you are struggling to find ways to balance that (because -10% movement speed is not enough of a downfall vs the bonus), then this could be a perfect counter benefit.
It would be nice to have a 7th skill slot unlock at a higher level. It would certainly help me get a more rounded out build and have one skill for AOE, one for single target dps, and one resource builder, and then the other 4 would be armor abilities, crowd control abilities, etc. for example.

This will not be OP, from personally experience with games the 6 slots isn't enough, especially for D3. There's many games who got 10+ slots and have the same skills +- like D3. If this happened it will improve gameplay no wonder about that!
Only 1 point will change and that monsters may be a little weak for you, but this will not be a problem since you have monster destiny (in RoS). Torment 4+ are great and OP, whice you need 1 more skill slot. Don't forget that 1 slot means more resources or time (cooldown)

For example- I'm playing with my Wizard, except 2 primary slots i've 4 another 4 slots. Blizzard, Metro, Ice Armor, Magic Weapon. All the time i'm using those, what about the other skills like Archon, Teleport, Slow Time, ?! why do they exist ? to use them, I feel so limited with using skills.
Totally agree.