Survival bonus is happening?

General Discussion
So after getting a nice Blizzard answer on BoA, we might get survival bonus too? Best RoS-hype day ever...

From Diablo-fans

UIToolTips.txt

TipBonusExperience
Pools of Reflection Bonus:
Experience gains increased by {s1}%
Bonus Pool remaining: {s2}
This effect is lost if you die.

Please 1001 gods, let it be true.
Would make SC so much better.
Though it should also add MF, but hell, an improvement is an improvement, even if it is not perfect.

What do people think about a survival bonus like this (regardless if it actually happens or not)?
I actually liked the Nephalem Valor counter set up we still have in live.
That gives a "sort of" survival bonus, as in you have to play a little bit before you get the bonus drop.

I always thought that you should lose a valor point on death.
That would be a deterrent to people attacking mobs that were too over their level.

Oh well. I still can't wait for the expansion and what new goodies the bounties and adventure mode hold for us.

PAFisher
01/15/2014 03:17 PMPosted by mikeab7925
i actually think there should be a greater penalty for death in SC. this would prevent people from playing higher content than they can handle. keeping people from leeching off of others. there should be a 10-15% exp and gold loss each time you die, along with the gear durability reduction. if they were to steepen the penalty then your reward for not dying would be to continue progress level wise.

Yeah.
A survival bonus and a death penalty are, if designed with the same goals in mind, virtually equal though (except a few psychological differences). So I dont really care if it is a bonus or penalty.

Blizzard prefers survival bonus as it sounds happier, with unicorns and flowers and stuff. So be it.
Well, losing 1 million xp on death ought to have the same result in the end as losing 1 million future XP on death, due to a lower XP bonus. Both slowing your paragon lvling the same way.
Same for Gold find - both a bonus and a penalty slows the ability to use mystic, craft etc.
A little harder to make the comparison between losing future item drops with MF vs losing items you already found.
The better comparison there would be the difference between getting a survival bonus of 100% MF for example vs getting a debuff on death with -100% MF - Both slowing your progress into higher difficulties.
i see ppl quitting the game if they die and joining/starting another

surely they can do better
Losing 10% lvl would just be the same as losing the same amount of future xp though. Still just a matter of balancing the survival bonus as I see it.

For me, the survival bonus in sacred 2 remains one of the most clever death penalty systems around, despite being a bonus system.
The survival bonus increased enemy lvl, so it gave both more xp, better item drops, but came with the trade-off of making the game more difficult too. That in itself was a quite interesting dynamic - but irrelevant for this topic.
However the better item drops you could gain from higher lvl monsters meant that losing the buff was huge.
It felt like "semi-HC", since building up to high survival bonus after losing it could take many days played.
Too harsh a loss for Diablo 3 of course/sadly, but imo it exemplified how a survival bonus can still have a great impact.

01/15/2014 03:56 PMPosted by ElDiablo
i see ppl quitting the game if they die and joining/starting another

surely they can do better

What would starting the game again do?
Hell yeah, good design.

Survival XP is alright. Survival MF with full effect for legendaries would be even better.
01/15/2014 02:48 PMPosted by Shadout
So after getting a nice Blizzard answer on BoA, we might get survival bonus too? Best RoS-hype day ever...

From Diablo-fans

UIToolTips.txt

TipBonusExperience
Pools of Reflection Bonus:
Experience gains increased by {s1}%
Bonus Pool remaining: {s2}
This effect is lost if you die.

Please 1001 gods, let it be true.
Would make SC so much better.
Though it should also add MF, but hell, an improvement is an improvement, even if it is not perfect.

What do people think about a survival bonus like this (regardless if it actually happens or not)?

Love the idea.

Keep in mind that it *is* datamined, but it would serve to spice up my playtime a little more. Although obnoxious instakills are about to become even more frustrating >:|.
Awesome! I agree this is sorely needed.
I really like this addition. Hopefully it makes it to the PTR so I can try it out, as I'm not in the RoS Closed Beta...

As for how it relates to the XP penalty in D2, I always hated the XP loss in D2. I liked that you could recoup a bit of it IF you successfully get your body back, but I don't feel like it ever really prevented people from exploring content, it just meant people would get powerleveled trade up gear so they could clear particular content. At least if this is a Survival Bonus, you still have the standard gain, but with the extra incentive of more reward.

Plus, giving a high enough XP bonus may mean the Paragon XP curve, which seems really strenuous to level up in, may be less so when a player is doing something as basic as not dying. It ends up providing the same bad feeling upon death, without setting your progress back hours.

Only thing I fear...this may make more people run on lower difficulty levels more than they already do, because clearing zones without dying is easier. My hope is...they'll scale this survival bonus somewhat, or maybe scale the XP on higher difficulties, to the right degree that running Normal repeatedly and taking advantage of the Survival XP bonus isn't getting you as much yield as running, say, Torment 1-6 and getting the same Survival bonus.

Ultimately, I think the devs want us to vary up builds and gameplay to add more defensive styles in and not just offense offense offense death...offense offense death offense offense.
01/16/2014 07:46 AMPosted by CardinalMDM
Only thing I fear...this may make more people run on lower difficulty levels more than they already do, because clearing zones without dying is easier. My hope is...they'll scale this survival bonus somewhat, or maybe scale the XP on higher difficulties, to the right degree that running Normal repeatedly and taking advantage of the Survival XP bonus isn't getting you as much yield as running, say, Torment 1-6 and getting the same Survival bonus.

Good point and good suggestion
01/16/2014 08:54 AMPosted by TheNightOwl

Good point and good suggestion

Yeah good point.

Could have higher cap on it with each difficulty or similar and it would be fine.
Can anyone who's tried it give us more details on how it works exactly?
Doesn't seem to be in the patch :/
01/17/2014 10:37 AMPosted by Shadout
Doesn't seem to be in the patch :/

It is, you can see it by mousing over your Exp bar.

I'd post some screenshots but the beta is currently down for maint. Pools of reflection give a set bonus exp which lasts as long as you don't die. It stays on logout etc as well.

It seems to be percentage based off your current lvl, A pool gives I think(I have a horrible memory so could be wrong) 0.5% of your total exp for that lvl as bonus exp.
Pools of reflection are health wells that are colored yellow instead of the normal red.

They give a .25% bonus EXP factor, for a set amount of EXP per paragon level until you die. Hitting more then one reflection pool did not seem to have a noticable effect (didn't stack).

To see your bonus factor and current pool remaining hover over your (now working) paragon EXP bar. The bonus stays through game switches, log outs until it is exhausted, or until you are killed.