Survival bonus is happening?

General Discussion
01/17/2014 11:26 AMPosted by Narull
It seems to be percentage based off your current lvl, A pool gives I think(I have a horrible memory so could be wrong) 0.5% of your total exp for that lvl as bonus exp.

Just wanted to note that there's a display issue with the bonus being provided. I described some of the other Pool of Reflection mechanics here, but I'll bullet point myself for visibility's sake. =)

• Despite the bonus being listed at 0.25% experience, it's actually providing 25% bonus experience. This is a known bug.
  • Each additional Pool of Reflection claimed increases the duration of the buff by 10% of the experience required for you to reach your next level/Paragon level.
  • You can see how much bonus experience you have left to benefit from by hovering over your Experience bar.
  • The bonus experience persists on logout, but is lost if you die.

As one more point of clarification, this experience does affect all experience gains (including Quest/Bounty/Rift Completion/Event experience bonuses). However, the bonus isn't currently reflected in the UI at this time.
01/15/2014 02:48 PMPosted by Shadout
So after getting a nice Blizzard answer on BoA, we might get survival bonus too? Best RoS-hype day ever...

From Diablo-fans

UIToolTips.txt

TipBonusExperience
Pools of Reflection Bonus:
Experience gains increased by {s1}%
Bonus Pool remaining: {s2}
This effect is lost if you die.

Please 1001 gods, let it be true.
Would make SC so much better.
Though it should also add MF, but hell, an improvement is an improvement, even if it is not perfect.

What do people think about a survival bonus like this (regardless if it actually happens or not)?

I rather have experience loss on death. Survival bonus makes level progression slower when continuous deaths, experience loss makes it impossible when continuous deaths.

I know there are way more casuals than hardcore players, and that current rules are meant to please the majority. That said, if each and everyone would always follow what the majority says we'd still be in the Dark Ages. Unhindered progression is the same as God Mode progression, no matter what you do you always earn experience points per session.
01/21/2014 07:11 PMPosted by Nevalistis
It seems to be percentage based off your current lvl, A pool gives I think(I have a horrible memory so could be wrong) 0.5% of your total exp for that lvl as bonus exp.

Just wanted to note that there's a display issue with the bonus being provided. I described some of the other Pool of Reflection mechanics [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11290499012#11"]here[/url], but I'll bullet point myself for visibility's sake. =)

• Despite the bonus being listed at 0.25% experience, it's actually providing 25% bonus experience. This is a known bug.
  • Each additional Pool of Reflection claimed increases the duration of the buff by 10% of the experience required for you to reach your next level/Paragon level.
  • You can see how much bonus experience you have left to benefit from by hovering over your Experience bar.

As one more point of clarification, this experience does affect all experience gains (including Quest/Bounty/Rift Completion/Event experience bonuses). However, the bonus isn't currently reflected in the UI at this time.

get rid of boa please
I have a suggestion Nevalistis, is pool of reflection really a proper name?

I felt a bit confused the first time I saw it since I expected it would be related to reflect damage mechanics, so I tested being hit around for a couple minutes ending with no noticeable results a premature death haha.

What about pool of wisdom? I would definitively watch the XP bar closely after that.
I am glad this thread is here so I can thank the dev team for these changes. I can't post on RoS threads. :P ;)

Love the idea of a survival bonus! Why? It makes softcore more exciting for those who don't have the time of patience for hardcore. :) Penalty that hurts at times, but not needing to start over... I wouldn't mind more survival bonuses.

I'm personally not into death penalties, games are meant to be fun and this is negative. I really enjoy the ability to respawn at the place of death so I can keep playing instead of being really upset I need to run all the way back to where I was at yet again... It still affects efficiency if you die, and adding a benefit for surviving is exactly the same as a penalty for death, but is positive instead...

Really looking forward to faster paragon leveling! More content, less grind. And paragon levels will actually be worth working on at higher levels and benefit more frequently. Diluted gameplay is being pushed away when changes like this are made. Infinite paragon levels are fine, but for most people they can't even come close.
01/21/2014 07:13 PMPosted by OneL
ok, survival bonus sounds good. so when are we getting the meaningful death penalty?

Never, being punished isn't fun, and games are meant to be fun. A survival bonus is win/win for everyone.
The penalty is clearly the fact that if you die you lose the experience bonus. That is a pretty big penalty especially with the numbers Blizzard is talking here.

The question is are we going to die enough for it to matter?
01/21/2014 07:13 PMPosted by OneL
ok, survival bonus sounds good. so when are we getting the meaningful death penalty?

Pretty much the same thing, man. I had 3 pools of reflection stacked and decided I could try tackling Torment and be okay. nnnnnnNOPE!

I felt sufficiently punished. :)
01/21/2014 10:49 PMPosted by Brad
Slightly off topic, your avatar looks like a ghost mopping/sweeping the floor. :P

That's not off-topic at all.

It's a dreaded corrupted angel wielding its deadly croquet mallet.
Actually, I do not see this working as intended.

It is going to be fantastic for hardcore characters!
But for softcore, I can guarantee you that this is NOT going to stop me
from playing harder difficulties, even if it means I die a couple of times each game.

You can take away my bonuses, all day, every day, doesn't matter.
But I promise you, you start taking away my already earned xp, at a 10% increment, and I'm going to notice!!

Especially once, the first time I've lost a Paragon level! You do that, and I'm going to start playing softcore, like hardcore!!!
01/21/2014 08:48 PMPosted by Gibs
The question is are we going to die enough for it to matter?

It depends how rare that pool of reflection is, not how often you die.
If you can just die and find another pool in less than 5 minutes, then yes it's pretty useless. It has to be extremely rare, not like a health pool, much much rarer. Like 1 every 50 pilons/pools (or 100). And thus the refill must be consequent enough to last you until you find another one.

Suggestion:
Make that pool rarity (and duration) increase with your paragon level (/evil-smile)

(and make sure it can't be exploited joining a group with someone lower level who has a pool spawned...How? Each pool spawn with a hidden paragon level, the one of the highest P-level in the party. If a higher P-level later joins the party to try and "steal" that pool. The game says "you are too high level for that" when the player try to take the pool. Or make the pool bound to the players who spawned it.)
People with less hops to the server already get an in-game bonus of less latency and now, to further disadvantage those that pay a higher price for the game and don't get a server on their continent, you want to make our lives harder. There should be a reduction in experience, for anyone with less than 400 latency and an increase for anyone with more that 400 latency. I often play at 1,500. This would be more fair than further disadvantaging those who aren't properly supported by a local server.
01/21/2014 07:11 PMPosted by Nevalistis

Just wanted to note that there's a display issue with the bonus being provided. I described some of the other Pool of Reflection mechanics [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11290499012#11"]here[/url], but I'll bullet point myself for visibility's sake. =)

How exactly does it make sense to have a "duration" on a survival bonus? :D
Shouldn't death be the only thing that ends it?

Also, do you really consider 25% to be a meaningful bonus?
Seems to me it will have virtually no effect as an incentive to stay alive.
Playing a glass cannon that has a very high risk of death, but much higher dps, easily wins over a 25% XP bonus.

Also, why have a survival bonus that is randomly gained by finding pools?
Why not let it build up like Nephalem Valor did for example?
Again it does not seem to actually reward staying alive.

It depends how rare that pool of reflection is, not how often you die.
If you can just die and find another pool in less than 5 minutes, then yes it's pretty useless. It has to be extremely rare, not like a health pool, much much rarer. Like 1 every 50 pilons/pools (or 100). And thus the refill must be consequent enough to last you until you find another one.
No, it should not come from a pool in the first place.
It is kinda crazy to have a survival bonus that comes from a random thing found in the game-world.

If they are common, then there is no loss, as you point out.
If it is rare, then it does not work as a survival bonus anymore, but just as some random bonus.

A survival bonus should build up by killing monsters. It should not be random.
I like the idea of the pool, but in my opinion there should be more.

Ok, say I'm a pool farmer, that's fine, get to the max where all the xp gain is at the highest (same as you max level xp) I would like to see it rise higher than 25%

How: I thought this, an hour or 15min there is an increase of 1% of course that is combat time.
otherwise you would have plp just sit for it to go up.
I think this would be a more gratifying way for a survival bonus and you would eventually use up all of the bonus xp to start over again.