Pull Monk and CoB WD...Clarification

Hardcore
I have some history of playing WD and monk. But my zdps monk is new.

One day during a crypt run a CoB WD picked on my monk.
While he was channeling CoB, he brought up his build status and looked at his own dps.

"I am not seeing any buff... make sure you refresh overawe!!!" he said.
"I have been refreshing it... " I told him.. I don't know if he believed me or not.
but there was some fundamental flaw in his claim after all....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facts:
1. there are 2 types of damage buffs:
(Type 1) applies to your dps. You will see your paper dps number go up when it happens. The other one (Type 2) only applie to the mob: they will take additional damage (mostly in the local area); players' dps numbers won't go up.

2. CoB is a (snapshot) channeling skill.
All the buffs apply to CoB has to be done right before the start of CoB channeling. Once it's channeling, the (type 1) buff will make your paper dps go up, but your CoB has to be restarted to get the real buffed damage. However, if CoB has started channeling at the moment when the (type 1) buff is applied, the increased damage won't go away until the channaling stopped.
Examples:

1. BBV slam dance is just summoned and soul harvest have 5 stacks. The WD (with the paper dps increased at the moment) started channeling CoB for 24hours. Although the paper dps number goes down to normal, the CoB will enjoy the damage buff for the whole 24 hours until the channeling stopped.

2. A WD started channeling CoB and is killing mobs. While channeling, the WD has 7 yard pick-up radius and he picked up a few health globes. The paper dps goes up, mana and life both will get refills. However, the increased dmg will be applied to his current CoB channel....not until he restarted his CoB channel (during the buffed period).

3. A skorn WD started channeling his CoB. CoB button is not on the mouse and he can swap his skorn to a 10 cc mojo+ 1h (very low dps) weapon. In this case, the damage will remain the same.... however, the crit chance is now increased. He will see more crits.
Reference:
COB guide (PaulNg)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fifWy1Dx6WHJ8lbIkdRkbGGWaP3HQWAKEEv6_DWPjDM/pub
or
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9377379828

Proc Rate Coefficients:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgL5S3Revw9ddEhScEpSLWhnRDZKV25OaWZJcHdkN0E#gid=7

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7166796695?page=1
i dont get what the point youre trying to make is :S

overawe doesnt increase your dps, it does increase the damage to the mobs. what hes probably thinking of is guiding light...which you should use.
He was probably thinking of GL. You need to apply a direct heal on your allies for it to work. I use CS-Soothing Breeze to apply GL. Others will use dual mantras (MoH to apply GL then they use Overawe for debuff to monsters).
01/16/2014 04:54 PMPosted by Isolation
i dont get what the point youre trying to make is :S

overawe doesnt increase your dps, it does increase the damage to the mobs. what hes probably thinking of is guiding light...which you should use.

I was using overawe. No guiding light.
Anyone looked at his own paper dps and complaint about me not refreshing overawe is not right.

If I used guiding light, I would have to do a pull healing right before WD cast CoB.
if I do pulling (healing rune) while WD is channeling CoB, he will not get the guidinglight buff (even the paper dps will show a bigger number) until WD restart CoB.
So he complained that Overawe didn't show an increase in his paper doll DPS? Who was this?
01/16/2014 06:26 PMPosted by jco310
So he complained that Overawe didn't show an increase in his paper doll DPS? Who was this?

just someone anonymous has some mis-conception. People make mistakes once in a while...
Here is another thought about WD pickup radius (PUR).

"What do you do with the PUR on your (pure CoB) WD?"

Grusome feast buff doesn't apply to WD immidiately if the WD pick up the health globes while he is channeling CoB. To get the buff, a WD has to restart the CoB (this is the snapshot effect of CoB).

Unless you really need health globes to refill mana or vital during CoB, or unless you immidiately restart your CoB for right after you picked up a health globe...
you may be wasting the health globe damage buffs.

Snapshot effect was documented by PaulNg in his CoB guide. (post #3).
All credits...(or curses if any) belong to him ;p
Great info Luffy.

Your skill set looks fine.

From my experience as a ZDS monk up to MP10, if you are running in a good group already, Blinding Flash (as you are using) > Guiding Light. From my memory I have saved at least two WDs with Blinding Flash (both a DC situation), couldn't have done it with Guiding Light.
01/16/2014 06:47 PMPosted by Luffy
Here is another thought about WD pickup radius (PUR).

"What do you do with the PUR on your (pure CoB) WD?"

Grusome feast buff doesn't apply to WD immidiately if the WD pick up the health globes while he is channeling CoB. To get the buff, a WD has to restart the CoB (this is the snapshot effect of CoB).

Unless you really need health globes to refill mana or vital during CoB, or unless you immidiately restart your CoB for right after you picked up a health globe...
you may be wasting the health globe damage buffs.

Snapshot effect was documented by PaulNg in his CoB guide. (post #3).
All credits...(or curses if any) belong to him ;p

lots of health globes in my experience tend to mean things are dying, in which case grave will fill your mana anyway so that snapshotting isnt too bad (whats nice is moving from group to group, so youre always at 5 when you start because you pick up globes as you leave the previous pack). i dont think ive ever picked up a health globe for health on WD XD.
whats really nice is youre no longer bound to a totd if you have a dedicated pull monk (since everything is confined to a few COB radii). i use 2 slots of PUR and its no problem (gained around 15k dps over my old totd)

and yeah, WD didnt know what he was doing like most wds lol, even giving him the benefit of the doubt its still a dumb argument he was making XD
Just keep pulling and they will be happy.
Another common mistake:
A team of cm wiz, and 3 CoB WDs go for ubers.
After cm wiz has perm frozen the ubers, the WDs tend to stack multiple BBVs (with different runes) before CoB... this is wrong.

With multiple BBVs, multiple attack speed buffs will be stacked. The WDs will start channeling CoB at very high attack speed. They will run out of mana, can't keep their channels up till the uber die.... by the time WDs run out of mana, BBVs are gone and on cooldown; WDs lost the snapshot of the BBV buffs and cannot get another one anytime soon.

The correct way is to use only one BBV (slam dance). All WDs start channeling CoB and snapshot of ONE BBV buff. The dmg buff will last for the whole game till all ubers die...(if they all got frozen for the whole game). If anything happens, the other WDs can still have BBV available to re-take the buff snapshots.

I don't know how many times I've explained this to the WDs in uber games....
"I am not seeing any buff... make sure you refresh overawe!!!" he said."I have been refreshing it... " I told him.. I don't know if he believed me or not. but there was some fundamental flaw in his claim after all....

Sounds like a terrible WD

Signed,
Infamous