Travis Day on drop rates

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 9 Next
01/22/2014 04:53 PMPosted by Vresiberba
I think this is funny as hell that the auction house haters are now absolutely salivating at the opportunity to buy their gear. What the hell happened to "play the game" in order to find your loot?!

This is most certainly not true for all of us.

Not that I think you can in any reasonable way compare AH to gambling.
01/22/2014 04:53 PMPosted by Vresiberba
wow. glorious days for AH haters.

I think this is funny as hell that the auction house haters are now absolutely salivating at the opportunity to buy their gear. What the hell happened to "play the game" in order to find your loot?!

Good point, is Kadala the "New AH" for obtaining legendary items? If so what an ironic twist 4 the anti AH crowd...
I've cancelled mine and my wife's pre-orders of RoS after reading Travis's reply.

Good luck ActiBlizz
it is still a good move tho. at least you are required to play the game to obtain blood shard for gambling. ohhh... the Helfire ring event was a pilot test.

new worries. carries.

Glorious RoS.
01/22/2014 04:21 PMPosted by DeadRu
Great thirteen more for the /ignore list. Getting easier to read the forum every day. It is amusing they whine no contact, then a blue post and now it I'm quitting because I don't like what he says. These people will not be happy unless they are handed the items they want every day. We see all this D2 love but as I remember it it was doing meph runs ad nausea. Now they need a legendary every few hours. I guess they forget you can't sell them anymore.

I found the section on fixing the split farming exploit more interesting. I was waiting for it. When I read Tias whine about it I knew it was going to be addressed.

I just had a furnace drop for my WD when I killed Diablo. It is a 2 handed mace but I think I'll give it a try for the fun of it. I was running with a Thunderfury that worked well but had a yellow dagger drop that does much more damage. Been swapping them out on Diablo runs to see how they work.

Edit has to up the /ignore from eleven to thirteen.

You're starting to smell like Daywalk3r.
01/22/2014 04:55 PMPosted by Shadout

It's an alternative source for loot using an in-game currency as a means of trade. Sounds like the auction house to me. Both are even subject to setting the drop rates so low that you basically have to use it.

The irony here is amazing.

Good point, is Kadala the "New AH" for obtaining legendary items? If so what an ironic twist 4 the anti AH crowd...

As a member of the anti AH crowd I cannot agree more. This is stupid.
01/22/2014 04:44 PMPosted by Vresiberba
This is absolutely hilarious. Really. The OP and the lemmings who followed him in this thread...priceless!!!!

Travis's post reads like this to me (because I actually read and re-read the whole thing)...

"...Over the course of F&F the unanimous feedback both internally and from the community was that the drop rates were too high..."

then...

"...For the record, I literally told people internally that I actively wanted to hear the feedback that drop rates were too low. We decisively found where too high was, we needed to find the lower bounds of reasonable

then...

"...we always intended for Kadala to be able to generate legendary items. More specifically she was intended to help give players more direct control over their ability to find specific items they were after..."

Translation;

1- "We set the drop rate extremely high at first so people could get items and test them. It was an unrealistic drop rate and we knew it."

2- Testers and the community confirmed this during the beta by saying unanimously, "Drop rates are too high!".

3- Since we now know what too high is, now we have to figure out what too low is. I lowered the drop rate accordingly and although I feel we're almost there, there's still some tuning that may occur.

4- Kadala is another way for players to obtain Legendaries IF they are not willing to farm for them.

...and now we have the usual squawking from an OP who either did not read or understand Travis's post, and a bunch of people (who are clearly as lost as he is) parroting him.

Oh Diablo 3 forums, I could never quit you...you amuse me.

What... are you talking about?

The hyperventilating mass of posters in this thread who completely misunderstood Travis's post.
01/22/2014 05:13 PMPosted by Wurger
Great thirteen more for the /ignore list. Getting easier to read the forum every day. It is amusing they whine no contact, then a blue post and now it I'm quitting because I don't like what he says. These people will not be happy unless they are handed the items they want every day. We see all this D2 love but as I remember it it was doing meph runs ad nausea. Now they need a legendary every few hours. I guess they forget you can't sell them anymore.

I found the section on fixing the split farming exploit more interesting. I was waiting for it. When I read Tias whine about it I knew it was going to be addressed.

I just had a furnace drop for my WD when I killed Diablo. It is a 2 handed mace but I think I'll give it a try for the fun of it. I was running with a Thunderfury that worked well but had a yellow dagger drop that does much more damage. Been swapping them out on Diablo runs to see how they work.

Edit has to up the /ignore from eleven to thirteen.

You're starting to smell like Daywalk3r.

Naa I remember him. He would not know a fact it it bit him. I put them on ignore because if that canceled or are not going to ros they have nothing of interest to hear. I don't need to wade through columns of hate and negativity from people that are not even in the game.
01/22/2014 05:23 PMPosted by Zaskaszh

What... are you talking about?

The hyperventilating mass of posters in this thread who completely misunderstood Travis's post.

Yeah, I kind of got that. But what are you saying?
" If Kadala is representing too large a portion of the incoming legendary items than I will address that. She's meant to be a bonus, not the primary loot acquiring mechanism. " - Travis Day

What I don't understand is: If she is meant to be a bonus then why did drop rates need to be lowered to compensate for her? Doesn't that clearly make her not a bonus but an obligatory source of legendary items?
01/22/2014 05:18 PMPosted by Vresiberba

It's an alternative source for loot using an in-game currency as a means of trade. Sounds like the auction house to me. Both are even subject to setting the drop rates so low that you basically have to use it.

The irony here is amazing.

The AH allowed you to find the exact Legendary you wanted. It provided an easy, reliable way for players to obtain items farmed by other players. Name search...pay...done.

Kadala is a NPC who gives you a % chance to randomly obtain specific Legendary items.

Yeah. The similarities are just striking. :\
How about you guys read his other posts instead of his first one?
No hope lost here, in fact after reading Travis' post. I am going to finally buy the expansion for pre-order.

Thanks Travis
01/22/2014 05:30 PMPosted by Zaskaszh
Yeah. The similarities are just striking. :\

So the only difference is, one is the exact item and the other is a specific item, everything else is near identical. I'd say that this is smack in the middle of a ballpark 'similar'. Pun intended.
WE DO NOT FORGIVE, WE DO NOT FORGET, WE ARE LEGION, EXPECT US.
With drop rates being in the "ballpark" and Blood Shards only available in Adventure Mode, who will ever play the Campaign Mode?
01/22/2014 05:48 PMPosted by TheNix
With drop rates being in the "ballpark" and Blood Shards only available in Adventure Mode, who will ever play the Campaign Mode?

Who's going to play vanilla since Kadala is a RoS only feature? Or are Blizzard planning on releasing a different patch to vanilla? If so, why isn't that patch on PTR?

Well, I don't know.
Sounds like they want to screw over everyone who doesn't buy the expansion.
01/22/2014 05:53 PMPosted by James
Sounds like they want to screw over everyone who doesn't buy the expansion.

Whether they intend that or not, it's certainly what they're accomplishing.