Legendary "timer" is already in?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
01/22/2014 07:04 PMPosted by TheSaint
You are right, that isn't how it works, it is set to a global percentage. There is no way it individually tracks each player, as it would be a ton of bandwidth and a ton of processing power.

Sorry, but you're completely wrong. The only way it would take a ton of processing power and band width is if you tried to track individual players at a global level. A game has a max of 4 players. Even a weak VM could track dozens of real time statistics for each individual player with that low of an in game player count.
01/22/2014 06:48 PMPosted by Kirishima
I doubt that's how that works. If I build a tank with no dps and spend an hour to kill an elite pack, I get a legendary every 10 elite packs? That's too easy to exploit with a bot. It's obvious there are extra layers to the timer that Blizzard isn't telling us.

the timer is a safety net to fight too much rng, if you are content getting a leg every 4hours or so, then yes this should work for u. Otherwise actively killing stuff should net you one leg every 1 1/2 hours on average. If rng cheats you, rng gets changed until u get one ... at least that is how it is supposed to work, apparrently it is bugged ....
01/22/2014 07:49 PMPosted by page
I doubt that's how that works. If I build a tank with no dps and spend an hour to kill an elite pack, I get a legendary every 10 elite packs? That's too easy to exploit with a bot. It's obvious there are extra layers to the timer that Blizzard isn't telling us.

the timer is a safety net to fight too much rng, if you are content getting a leg every 4hours or so, then yes this should work for u. Otherwise actively killing stuff should net you one leg every 1 1/2 hours on average. If rng cheats you, rng gets changed until u get one ... at least that is how it is supposed to work, apparrently it is bugged ....

No, I think its working right now, however Travis Day never said you get a legendary weapon or armor every 10 hours, he said you get a legendary. If I have to pick up 9 recipes or griswolds crafting crap for every 1 legendary item, it's still 100 hours per legendary item.
I can pretty much confirm it's nothing to do with just being in combat :p as soon as I read about Travis post I wen't onto the PTR on Torment 2 and had a skeleton hit my Wizard for 3 hours straight, then played for half a hour after that and no Legendary.

Really curious how that hidden system works, and if speedfarming a lower difficulty will be the way to go.

More testing tomorrow x)

BTW nice stealth nerfs Blizzard! I can't stack attack speed anymore with multiple Time Warps stacked onto each other with Mirror image and Teleport decoys.
01/22/2014 08:57 PMPosted by Brad
BTW nice stealth nerfs Blizzard! I can't stack attack speed anymore with multiple Time Warps stacked onto each other with Mirror image and Teleport decoys.

That doesn't sound intended. So yes, nice stealth nerfs indeed.

Clever use of game mechanics it was, there was nothing bugged about it, there's much more funny stuff in 2.0 >.<
01/22/2014 08:49 PMPosted by KhaoS
I can pretty much confirm it's nothing to do with just being in combat :p as soon as I read about Travis post I wen't onto the PTR on Torment 2 and had a skeleton hit my Wizard for 3 hours straight, then played for half a hour after that and no Legendary.

Really curious how that hidden system works, and if speedfarming a lower difficulty will be the way to go.

More testing tomorrow x)

Except that's not a scientific test. Travis Day said it's impossible under the current system to go 18+ hours without a legendary. He never said it's impossible to go 2 hours without a legendary, he merely said the global average drop rate was 2 hours on the current beta server.

"Average" is not the cap, the actual cap is an ~18 hour timer.
01/22/2014 08:44 PMPosted by Kirishima
No, I think its working right now, however Travis Day never said you get a legendary weapon or armor every 10 hours, he said you get a legendary. If I have to pick up 9 recipes or griswolds crafting crap for every 1 legendary item, it's still 100 hours per legendary item.

Actually, he did say "once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material".

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11307900907?page=15#293
01/22/2014 07:40 PMPosted by page
Once a legendary drops for you, actual item not crafting recipe or material, we reset that timer.

uh @ thesaint: this very much sounds like an individual timer ...

It has to be.

WTF @ a "Global" timer...

It doesn't take a lot of bandwidth to have a running timer of how long you're in combat. That takes almost no computational power at all because all it has to do is reference the current system time.

Making in game timers is incredibly easy and basic.

In fact, if you take a look at something like the XNA framework you'll see that the entire system revolves around GameTime

It's no different than tracking a cooldown or a swing timer and creates no more overhead than that.
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o

How is this even possible? There must be a catch to that timer. Otherwise I could just sit idle for 10 hours and then open the first chest and get a legendary? More likely Travis Day isn't giving you the full story, more like "kill 10,000 monsters or 10 hours of game-play, which ever happens second, then drop a leg on next kill."

Not sure what stance you're taking or what point you're trying to advocate with that post but thats the silliest thing i've read today. Why the hell would anyone do that? Who is this hypothetical person?
Normally I would stay out of someone else pissing match but saint is quite....wrong...take it from someone who is a programmer by profession.

Let's assume the timer is based on combat, and that combat is defined as engaging an elite pack (it shouldn't be.....but lets assume)

Player 1 engages an elite pack
Timer start
Player 1 defeats an elite pack
Timer stop
Check if a legendary item dropped
If yes, reset player timer to zero
if no, calculate time spent in combat (end - start) and add to current timer
if timer now exceeds the rate (2 hours). Set a flag to drop a legendary item on the next elite kill

This is a basic rudementary example but honestly, it's not all that different. This is a simple get,set and post operation, you don't even need a real time timer....it's merely a variable being stored somewhere
now that we have timer, can't we have it somewhere on the screen where we can see

"20 minutes left until next legendary drop?"
01/23/2014 08:56 AMPosted by TheSaint
01/23/2014 08:51 AMPosted by jackpot548
it's merely a variable being stored somewhere

Haha like where? Client side?

You're Droths grenade.

Clearly server side. Not sure what a grenade is unless we are talking a war munition
01/23/2014 08:56 AMPosted by TheSaint
01/23/2014 08:51 AMPosted by jackpot548
it's merely a variable being stored somewhere

Haha like where? Client side?

You're Droths grenade.

No server side...

How do you think the server tracks cooldowns and swing times?

DING DING DING! TIMERS!

The code is basing the whole thing on the system's clock and all it needs to know two variables, the start time and the end time, then the 3rd which is a collective amount of combat time captured.

Then it's basically this.

TotalCombatTime += (CombatEndTime - CombatStartTime)

Or you could do it the painful way which would bet to instantiate a timer each time it is needed, but you don't need to do that. You just overwrite the CombatStartTime and CombatEndTime with new values each time.
BattleTag: Drothvader#1215 | Twitter: @Drothvader | Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Drothvader
"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy! But here's my BattleTag! Add me maybe? O.o
They'll never tell us obviously but it'll probably be tied to kills for ease of use. If they did a formulation of kills + time spent in combat that would work too.