Are we just way too mean to Blizzard?

General Discussion
You ever wonder if they are sitting back and feeling victimized by many of the posts on the forums? As if we are making their jobs a living hell and they hate us so much!?! I can at times picture the CM's as bearers of constant negative feedback to the developers as the leads listen to it at meeting while drinking heavily. I suppose that would be the only way I would be able to cheer myself up with all the hate on the forums at times. Especially with Droth and TheTias all threatening to quit over some drop rate change and what not and being so immature.

Why are you all so daggon mean?
they probably don't give a damn nor should they; a job's a job. if you're complaining on the forums all day you're not championing a great cause, you're not hurting anybody's feelings, you're just wasting your own time.

your concern is kind but unnecessary. I work in marketing, worked in insurance b2b before that, and defense/security contracting before that. Thatv's like the holy trifecta of "jobs people hate"; advertisers, salespeople and mercenaries. couldn't care less, just in it for the money. It's what I do with the money I care about.

So maybe the devs who like to play diablo might have some cares about the changes being made, but what the unruly masses here are getting mad about is absolutly a waste of their own time and breath. nobody is having trouble gong to sleep because someone on the forums is complaining about their product, they're going home and living their lives and doing things they enjoy when they're done working all day.

I.e. i gonna play some diablo when i go home :)
I'll give the OP an analogy.

Let's say blizzard built furniture, everyone purchased an IKEA type table from them. You bought it, you go home, you start building it and lo and behold the legs of the table are not in the box. They tell you it will arrive asap so don't return it just yet. Nearly 2 years go by and all they sent you were cardboard cut outs of legs. As much as you try to prop the table on those cardboard cut outs they give way and the table continues to fall.

What you essentally are saying is: Don't be mad that a company that sold you an unfinished table set, promised to fix the issue, then abandoned you otherwise their "feelings" will get hurt.

Think about it.
Drama much? People complaining on the forums they never visit make their lives a living hell? Heck, I doubt it even bothers the CM's. They probably laugh at most of the stuff on here, and email each other particularly funny posts.
This is the first Blizzard title that I have ever felt did not meet expectations. Id have said nothing either if I felt I was alone in my opinion. The only way to really tell a company that you are not a happy consumer/sheep is to deny them the one thing they want. $$$$$$$.

If you feel that this game did not meet your expectations of either Blizzard or Diablo, tell them by not purchasing their product until it meets your expectations.

The problem with Diablo3 was that it sold quite well IIRC. A high quality brand name generally does. So the "popularity" of the series and the developer directly influenced more than a few purchases. But top selling titles are not always up to snuff.

Bottom line. This game was designed for a console release. It just happened to go to its "home" on the PC first. Its just another activision console dumb-down. Par for the course when them clowns get involved.
People might be "mean" to them, but as long as we don't enter the territory of real life threats and such (which some people do enter), then people are welcome to complain.
It must be annoying for Blizzard to always hear complaining, but that is kinda the industry they are in (like any industry dealing with customers pretty much - this one is just so unlucky to be enhanced by the power of "anonymity on the Internet").
Hopefully they can deal with it, even if they might not particularly like it :D
01/24/2014 08:31 AMPosted by Whippy
This is the first Blizzard title that I have ever felt did not meet expectations. Id have said nothing either if I felt I was alone in my opinion. The only way to really tell a company that you are not a happy consumer/sheep is to deny them the one thing they want. $$$$$$$.

If you feel that this game did not meet your expectations of either Blizzard or Diablo, tell them by not purchasing their product until it meets your expectations.

The problem with Diablo3 was that it sold quite well IIRC. A high quality brand name generally does. So the "popularity" of the series and the developer directly influenced more than a few purchases. But top selling titles are not always up to snuff.

Bottom line. This game was designed for a console release. It just happened to go to its "home" on the PC first. Its just another activision console dumb-down. Par for the course when them clowns get involved.

I agree with a majority of your opinion, however, Activision has very little to do with the creative process Blizzard Entertainment has already established when designing games.
What you (as a gamer/customer) are really experiencing regarding Diablo ||| is Blizzard Entertainment spreading themselves very thin between several game projects so, naturally there is going to be a drop in quality. I could understand if Diablo ||| was their only title and no other games being in development but research how many titles they have out there and draw your own conclusion.
Ill be mean with my credit card.
01/24/2014 08:56 AMPosted by HEF
01/24/2014 08:31 AMPosted by Whippy

I agree with a majority of your opinion, however, Activision has very little to do with the creative process Blizzard Entertainment has already established when designing games.
What you (as a gamer/customer) are really experiencing regarding Diablo ||| is Blizzard Entertainment spreading themselves very thin between several game projects so, naturally there is going to be a drop in quality. I could understand if Diablo ||| was their only title and no other games being in development but research how many titles they have out there and draw your own conclusion.

It isn't necessarily quality though. It is the fact the Blizzard South just didn't have the kind of team and experience that Blizzard North did. After Vivendi's corporate load of dung changed things up for Blizzard, quite a bit Blizzard North dissolved due to so many leaving. Since then things have been far too corporate and what not. I know this because I chatted it up with a guy who used to work at Blizzard and he mentioned that when corporate crap started taking place things really started going down the toilet.

However, despite all the corporate garbage taking place it really wasn't Blizz South's specialty when it came to Diablo. They had their own way of doing things that was different from the old Blizz North; This is according to David Brevik who I will take at his word. Due to this the old style that you all came to love and play quite a bit had pretty much been done away with. This in essence is like a different Bioware (Austin) studio taking over Mass Effect (Montreal) when they had a completely different style of doing things due to the different nature of games they were building.
I dont care why, why is for people who make excuses. Just get it done.
01/24/2014 09:40 AMPosted by Zaino
I dont care why, why is for people who make excuses. Just get it done.

---but don't you understand?
Corporate bureaucracy prevents things from getting done in a timely manner.
Hef:

Thank you for engaging in an intelligent debate.

I think that Bobby K's philosophy of company management affected this title adversely. I do agree that Blizzard certainly has other titles and other projects, but in the past they certainly released a higher quality product across the board. From what I read, development of this title began in 2001ish, and was announced in 2008....to be delayed again until 2012. That is a VERY VERY long development cycle....It wasn't DNF long, but still over a decade in development.

Now, the rumor is that the game was "overhauled" 3 times.....My theory:

First version was Bliz North
Second version was Blizzard "South"?
Third version Activision.

I think that after the merger, BobbyK and company pretty much put the current team in a do-or-die situation. "Sell it, or we will find someone who will.....Oh and you will be unemployed also." I don't agree with most of what BobbyK says, but I would agree with him 100% that 11+ years of development requires a ROI......

Blizzard has been in the past a company who refused to release a product that did not meet standards. Activision-Blizzard under command of Bobbyk is quite the opposite....

So you have blizzard who was used to taking their time, and they could afford to. Wow was making them have all the funding needed to make a great game....

We as gamers don't care about development cycles etc....I don't care if a game takes 15 years so long as it is good. Blizzard could have plugged along forever until it was perfect....

But Activision sees this as a waste of time and manpower. They don't see WoW making bank, they see an decade of development with a half baked idea to show for it. What's bad for the shareholders is bad for the customer. No matter how much a company makes, they still manage to view long development cycles as a loss. Totally different mentality between the 2 companies.

The only reason Blizzard is even mentioned in the name of the company is because of WoW.

I agree that activision had nothing directly to do with the creative process, but I am 100% they influenced completion and release of this title in a way that ultimately hurt the Brand and Studio's reputation.
Activision has very little to do with the creative process Blizzard Entertainment has already established when designing games.

This is a myth Blizzard is happy to let you spread.

Since 2010, Activision's Thomas Tippl, COO (a guy who just bagged in $6M in salary and bonuses this year, and an ex Tide-laundry executive) has been running Blizzard. Tippl only reports to Kotick.

In other words, Activision is overseeing both Activision projects AND Blizzard projects, and has been for nearly 4 years now.
01/24/2014 08:28 AMPosted by Hammerskalds
Let's say blizzard built furniture, everyone purchased an IKEA type table from them. You bought it, you go home, you start building it and lo and behold the legs of the table are not in the box. They tell you it will arrive asap so don't return it just yet. Nearly 2 years go by and all they sent you were cardboard cut outs of legs. As much as you try to prop the table on those cardboard cut outs they give way and the table continues to fall.

you forgot to say that they charged you for the cardboard legs.
01/24/2014 09:54 AMPosted by Whippy
Hef:

Thank you for engaging in an intelligent debate.

I think that Bobby K's philosophy of company management affected this title adversely. I do agree that Blizzard certainly has other titles and other projects, but in the past they certainly released a higher quality product across the board. From what I read, development of this title began in 2001ish, and was announced in 2008....to be delayed again until 2012. That is a VERY VERY long development cycle....It wasn't DNF long, but still over a decade in development.

Now, the rumor is that the game was "overhauled" 3 times.....My theory:

First version was Bliz North
Second version was Blizzard "South"?
Third version Activision.

I think that after the merger, BobbyK and company pretty much put the current team in a do-or-die situation. "Sell it, or we will find someone who will.....Oh and you will be unemployed also." I don't agree with most of what BobbyK says, but I would agree with him 100% that 11+ years of development requires a ROI......

Blizzard has been in the past a company who refused to release a product that did not meet standards. Activision-Blizzard under command of Bobbyk is quite the opposite....

So you have blizzard who was used to taking their time, and they could afford to. Wow was making them have all the funding needed to make a great game....

We as gamers don't care about development cycles etc....I don't care if a game takes 15 years so long as it is good. Blizzard could have plugged along forever until it was perfect....

But Activision sees this as a waste of time and manpower. They don't see WoW making bank, they see an decade of development with a half baked idea to show for it. What's bad for the shareholders is bad for the customer. No matter how much a company makes, they still manage to view long development cycles as a loss. Totally different mentality between the 2 companies.

The only reason Blizzard is even mentioned in the name of the company is because of WoW.

I agree that activision had nothing directly to do with the creative process, but I am 100% they influenced completion and release of this title in a way that ultimately hurt the Brand and Studio's reputation.

If anything, I believe Blizzard Entertainment has an opportunity to learn from Activision because they are a senior entity in the entire video game industry. Think about this...

Would Blizzard Entertainment have had the resources, personnel and knowledge to pull off their latest accomplishments without Activision?

I'm following you. It just may be a bit premature to assume anything about anyone especially when you call out their name without any useful information or cold, hard evidence of what your concern is. I believe it is fair to say that everyone gathered everyday at Battle.net want nothing but the best from Blizzard Entertainment because they certainly have given us (gamers) the best in the past... and we expect better.

:)

...and it's HEF, not Hef

:)
1) don't buy their games.
2) don't post in their forums

dead forum, low sales = dead blizzard.

now shoo.
Criticism is GOOD

Go watch a documentary called
Inequality for all (2013)
Nope, Blizzard is intelligent enough to consider the source.