Are we just way too mean to Blizzard?

General Discussion
Activision has very little to do with the creative process Blizzard Entertainment

I love people who believe this.

You don't spend that much to go in with a company if you have absolutely no say of the business.

An earlier poster said it best, Blizzard Entertainment has stopped making PC games for PC gamers. The head honchos in business suites realized that they could squeeze out a pretty penny out of casual people who never had to blow on a cartridge to make the game work or got so mad at a Nintendo game they threw the controller.

These are people who would rather play a game with their debit card, don't care about back story/lore, etc.

The second the news came out that Blizzard merged with Activi$ion, that's when hope started to die for me. Activi$ion latches onto companies, sucks them dry and then finds someone else.

That's what Bobby Kotick LOVES doing. Look up interviews with him and famous quotes from him... he doesn't care and has probably never touched a controller in his life.

Blizzard was at its peak when it was being ran by a CEO that was a true gaming nerd. Every year, quality gaming gets ran into the ground for the sake of filling a man's pocket who already has more than he knows what to do with.

Look up Bobby Kotick's salary, go ahead.. if you feel bad for him, write him a check.
01/24/2014 08:02 AMPosted by googoogaga
Why are you all so daggon mean?

Because they don't listen?
01/24/2014 11:24 AMPosted by Mathenzo
That's what Bobby Kotick LOVES doing. Look up interviews with him and famous quotes from him... he doesn't care and has probably never touched a controller in his life.

He claims hes a gamer, or at least used to be one. He once rambled off some list of games for some "gamer cred". As if it would be hard to remember a bunch of popular (or even unpopular) game names and ramble some off.
This thread "A short history of Activision Blizzard" over at teamliquid says it all:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252
01/24/2014 09:57 AMPosted by TeRRaRiZeR
Activision has very little to do with the creative process Blizzard Entertainment has already established when designing games.
What you (as a gamer/customer) are really experiencing regarding Diablo ||| is Blizzard Entertainment spreading themselves very thin between several game projects so, naturally there is going to be a drop in quality. I could understand if Diablo ||| was their only title and no other games being in development but research how many titles they have out there and draw your own conclusion.

This is a myth Blizzard is happy to let you spread.

Since 2010, Activision's Thomas Tippl, COO (a guy who just bagged in $6M in salary and bonuses this year, and an ex Tide-laundry executive) has been running Blizzard. Tippl only reports to Kotick.

In other words, Activision is overseeing both Activision projects AND Blizzard projects, and has been for nearly 4 years now.

Maybe that's a hint that gamers should wear clean clothes?

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOendGlanrs
Because a AAA game designer salary is where the real trenches are.
01/24/2014 12:38 PMPosted by JaqenHghar
They better worry about hurting OUR feelings. At the end of the day, we will make them or break them with our wallets.

Now, THAT is the smartest thing I've read all day...

...and the day ain't even over, yet!

:)

On another note, has anyone seen this indie movie called 'The Controller'?

"Armed Combat Professionals"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VRu8Evx1HI
The amount of vitriol I've read here directed towards Blizzard implies the question posed in the thread title is true.

Are there problems? You betcha. Could feedback be provided in a more constructive way? Yes.
Being positive can actually be far worse for everyone when you're encouraging aspects detrimental to the game.

Negativity has brought about some of the best aspects of Diablo 3, however few there may be but things like Ubers, Paragon level and being able to progress in Inferno without skipping every mob or abusing invulnerable glitches, removing enrage timers, makin Legendary items not 100% lame...These were all changes we can attribute to negativity.

What can we attribute to being positive about something we know is going to brutally fail? I guess we can spare ourselves the wasted money and have a laugh at the poor saps who buy into it but I'm not a big fan of schadenfreude myself.
01/24/2014 01:07 PMPosted by OneL
01/24/2014 01:00 PMPosted by Shadowblastr
Could feedback be provided in a more constructive way? Yes.

Were you around during the D3 beta? These forums were full of polite, constructive, and above all LONG essays on how to fix the broken game. it did bugger all. that's why these days this forum is a haven for trolls, because not being a troll didn't work. might as well be a troll now...

I agree with the first part of your post.

This board, blogs, youtube videos, etc. provided endless books of feedback. This might as well have been the amateur game designer forum.

Instead of Blizzard doing anything with that feedback (probably for some reason that ties to profitability), they instead send their, clever, well written, PR (community team/managers) to tote the company line -- a total insult to our intelligence (examples):

Something we talk about a lot in the office
Definitely on the table
We haven’t decided on it yet
A number of options have been discussed
We don't have an ETA
Will continue monitoring your feedback
This topic is still very much in the air

This board hasn't turned into a troll fest.

It's a community of people who were so positively affected by what Blizzard used to contribute to the industry, and so dumbfounded by what the company has become.

It's frustration, cynicism, and the feeling of loss all rolled into one.
Frankly, sometimes they (Blizzard) do bring this upon themselves. The development team rarely speaks to us, and what people hate worse than bad news is no news at all. It's not ever good business practice (in my opinion) to leave your consumers in the dark. It only leaves room for misinterpretation, slander or negative theories.

However, I never supported attacking developers and the community team outright in posts. There's a huge difference between offering constructive criticism towards improving Diablo and simply bashing someone who's doing their job. People then tend to make the excuse of saying constructive criticism rarely works around here. Well, verbally attacking them never helps either.
01/24/2014 09:47 AMPosted by HEF
---but don't you understand?
Corporate bureaucracy prevents things from getting done in a timely manner.

This. Is what I have been saying.

Also: the dev team can't just stop what they're doing and come on here and say something. They all have to sign contracts. They all have to agree to keep information proprietary or lese they not only would be fired, they would be blacklisted from getting a dev job at any other company. Only certain people can communicate to us in the forums. There is a hierarchy, just like with any other corporation.

This isn't an Indie startup. This is a multi-million dollar company who has products in all corners of the globe. The devs designing the games are little more than peons. They are caught between us, the public, and the corporate officers, who have their own beliefs about what the end product should do or offer.

I believe that everyone has a right to complain. They have a right to not support the game anymore with their wallets. But there's a way to state what you aren't happy with, without resorting to "EVERYONE IS STUPID WHY DON'T THEY LISTEN".

Anyone who has ever had to work with the public knows that you may not agree with your company's policies, but they're the ones that sign your paycheck.
01/24/2014 11:24 AMPosted by Mathenzo
I love people who believe this.

You don't spend that much to go in with a company if you have absolutely no say of the business.

Depends.
Depends on what the agreements entail, and who did the signing on the dotted lines. Does it make good sense to have little control over final product? Not to me, but money talks, and unfortunately it can talk really loudly.
01/24/2014 01:58 PMPosted by Baconan
Negativity has brought about some of the best aspects of Diablo 3, however few there may be but things like Ubers, Paragon level and being able to progress in Inferno without skipping every mob or abusing invulnerable glitches, removing enrage timers, makin Legendary items not 100% lame...These were all changes we can attribute to negativity.

So as some seem to be saying, nothing gets fixed or improved without noticeable negative feedback. Simply giving them feedback that is constructive alone and providing level headed reasoning doesn't grab their attention. Being loud, angry, annoyed and showing it is what needs to happen to see change. Especially repetitively so since that boosts the exposure of those complaints.

Negativity = Change

Another group is placing the blame for all Diablo 3's faults for not living up to their hopes on corporate issues (Which I sort of alluded to myself, but only because the original team didn't work on D3). Vivendi, Activision, and whatever the heck else and that they sold out and are nothing more then corporate pawns. They see this as the means to make the game better somehow, or just rage about it to vent. This however doesn't really do anything to remedy anyone's concerns.
01/24/2014 03:23 PMPosted by googoogaga
01/24/2014 01:58 PMPosted by Baconan

So as some seem to be saying, nothing gets fixed or improved without noticeable negative feedback. Simply giving them feedback that is constructive alone and providing level headed reasoning doesn't grab their attention. Being loud, angry, annoyed and showing it is what needs to happen to see change. Especially repetitively so since that boosts the exposure of those complaints.

Negativity = Change

Nobody complains about the drooling idiots who are mindlessly happy about every good change so I see no sense in complaining about the drooling idiots who complain about every bad change.

Negativity doesn't preclude constructive criticism.