Q about upcoming Bounty hotfix

General Discussion
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11204340564?page=5#90

01/27/2014 12:45 PMPosted by Nevalistis
Our first step will be the above referenced hotfix that will prevent players from receiving a reward if they are not in the relevant area when a bounty is completed.

What if I complete 90% objectives and just go back town to salvage trash and someone else finish it?
Unfortunately I still see a flaw in bounties. Players skipping everything to reach the bounty as fast as they can. They should make the objectives with elites in mind somehow. For instance. Killing the skeleton king, should involve killing all the Elites on the map to open the chamber. 50 regular mobs is really pointless.
The bounties are just too rewarding. If killing monster was more rewarding nobody would not skip them. The less rewarding map with bounty should just be more rewarding than the more rewarding map without bounty to make bounties appealing.

The bounty is on the better map, it is perfect. If the bounty is not on the better map, do both the better map and the map with the bounty. The purpose of bounties is to incite players to not do always the same map. Right now this not working because they skip 90% of the map contents.
Players now need to be within 100 yards of each other in order to benefit from the Strength in Numbers buff.*

How big is this area in relation to what is rendered on screen?

Groups will just split up as usual and "prep" the bounties individually like players do now with festering woods for crypt runs. The reward system doesn't scale with difficulty enough at the moment, its not worth doing bounties as a group because split farming is quicker, easier and just as rewarding as higher difficulties where you have to work as a team.

Bounties maybe need to work like Boss encounters, a player would find and engage the bounty and all other players would be asked to accept the challenge and be teleported to the fight (town portal disabled until encounter is finished). Could also add unique affix of instant arena, 100yds from the bounty a wall of hellfire/rock/ice or inverted slowtime bubble would apear. Would be interesting in caves, dungeons and map boudaries :D
I'm a little concerned about the 100 yard limit.

I don't actually know what this translates to in game but if players are knocked back from the boss or if the boss is fast and retreating when it's killed I could easily see this screwing over players who are farming legitimately.

I would think being in the same zone at the time of completion should be sufficient. For boss kills you could add that the player must at least damage the boss in question as well (so players don't just camp in the zone).
I don't think the 100 yard limit will do much. This is still exploitable as stated by sedlTion.

Here is a pretty good idea to solve split farming:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11424912635#8

The problem is now leechers and prepping. Instanced would not do much, as they can just prep it and wait in a safe spot. Suggested barriers are just too much work and too restricting to the map.
01/27/2014 09:25 PMPosted by Logic
What if I complete 90% objectives and just go back town to salvage trash and someone else finish it?

If you aren't present when the bounty is completed, you won't receive the rewards (gold, experience, or Blood Shards). However, you will receive completion credit for the bounty, so that you qualify for finishing Tyrael's quest.

01/28/2014 03:05 AMPosted by sedITion

Should be about a screen and a half, if my estimates are correct. Try it out and be sure to let us know how these changes feel!

Groups will just split up as usual and "prep" the bounties individually like players do now with festering woods for crypt runs. The reward system doesn't scale with difficulty enough at the moment, its not worth doing bounties as a group because split farming is quicker, easier and just as rewarding as higher difficulties where you have to work as a team.

Right now, we want to see exactly what kind of behavior pans out as a result of these fixes. We're definitely keeping an eye on what's going on when it comes to this style of gameplay. The intent is to have players in multiplayer actually playing together in the same area, and we're dedicated to working towards a goal that both encourages and rewards that kind of behavior.

As you all experiment with these changes, we're taking copious notes and seeing what further needs tweaking. =)
01/28/2014 04:17 PMPosted by Nevalistis

If you aren't present when the bounty is completed, you won't receive the rewards (gold, experience, or Blood Shards). However, you will receive completion credit for the bounty, so that you qualify for finishing Tyrael's quest.

Should be about a screen and a half, if my estimates are correct. Try it out and be sure to let us know how these changes feel!

Right now, we want to see exactly what kind of behavior pans out as a result of these fixes. We're definitely keeping an eye on what's going on when it comes to this style of gameplay. The intent is to have players in multiplayer actually playing together in the same area, and we're dedicated to working towards a goal that both encourages and rewards that kind of behavior.

As you all experiment with these changes, we're taking copious notes and seeing what further needs tweaking. =)

no one cares about exp, gold and bloodshards. (gambling has been nerfed to the ground). people want as much (and fast) bags as possible...so splittfarming is still the best way, atleast in beta =)
I'm not part of the Beta, but as an unbiased perspective, I can tell you how to fix this. Penalties suck. Try rewards. People do amazing, time consuming, damage sacrificing things in this game just to get an edge at a reward. Getting 5 stacks just for some extra MF, using a puzzle ring, cranking up MP levels, etc. So you know it works. Example: when 2 players are in the area, leg chances go up, or multiple (2x, 3x, etc)puzzle goblins could spawn per player in the area or you could implement a Nef stack system like Live has. Give incentives. It works!
so wont players still complete most of the bounty split...then tp to each other to complete the bounties as a group?
As long as you can see other players in your team on the minimap without arrows pointing outwards I feel it should be OK.

I do however dislike this change and are going to find alternative solutions as best as I can within the next couple of days.

I would feel that "Adventure mode - your game, your rules" are a bit pushed aside cause of this "new" change. I do however fully understand the changes.
@Corgon
The inventive is the exisitng 30% MF in the 4-man group play, you run ahead of the grp then you will lose it.

It's a good idea afterall to make the team stick together and work on missions. I have countless experience of team mates running ahead of others killing stuff and leaving the whole group behind (*cough* *cough* not only barbs XD), or those pub game MF leecher's who can't follow up lol. This change definitely ask them to calm down and sit back together with the team.

I ran a WD with 50 yard pickup radius and that's about the whole vertical portion of a 1080 resolution screen. Not quite the entire horizontal resolution at 1700ish though.
01/28/2014 04:17 PMPosted by Nevalistis

[/quote]

so.. split farming for bounty bags (horadric caches) aren't fixed... and that is what split farming was really used for imo
01/28/2014 05:20 PMPosted by lyfredaheero
@Corgon
The inventive is the exisitng 30% MF in the 4-man group play, you run ahead of the grp then you will lose it.

It's a good idea afterall to make the team stick together and work on missions.

Agreed. However, the trick with carrots is that they only work when they're in front of the mule - when they're obvious. How obvious is it to players that they are getting (or not getting) the carrot the devs are offering? If the presence/absence of the reward is tucked away in a menu or other obscure UI element, it loses much of the desired effect.
Perhaps having an internal system that shows in game:

Quest XXX: 56% complete
Player A 20%
Player B 30%
Player C 6%

- Percentage based on total damage contributed per player
- Percentage based on total group / buff contributed per player

Reward broken down based on percentage tiers as well?
2 player game
40% per player to receive full individual reward

3 player game
30% per player to receive full individual reward

4 player game
20% per player to receive full individual reward

*also to encourage players stay in group (in proximity)
2 screens max radius
monk provides extra spirit / source / fury / hatre regen for group at X%
barb provides extra armor buff for group at X%
wiz provides extra all resist buff for group at X%
wd provides extra MF buff for group at X%
dh provides extra moving speed buff for group at X%
crusader provides extra chc buff for group at X%

Rules:
- group must stay together and travel no further apart than 2 screens to create synergy bond
- synergy bond builds up over time for group buff to take effect (1 min)
- once a player leaves the group too far, player will lose group synergy bond buff
- barb moves too far ahead and loses entire synergy buff, while the other 3 players still benefit from synergy bond for max 5 mins before losing barb's extra armor bonus %
- each role can only benefit from other role's synergy bond buff (all 4 different roles in game)
- 4 wiz in a game can receive synergy bond buff from each other but reduce by 50% per same role

so having 4 wiz = 1.75 x XX% of all resist buff, wiz A gets from wiz B (1), wiz C (0.50), & wiz D (0.25) = 1.75 times XX% of all resist synergy bond buff. so yes they can stack.
Why not significally increase the dmg the monsters do in grp play if you don´t stick in groups.
So when the group splits and makes all their own bounties, the monster dmg scales up. And if they stick to the group, the dmg stays the in normal range (as it is now, scaling in grp play).

This would lead to a situation where nobody wants to run alone in grp play.
Of course the rewards should be good as well in grp games, so that it is equal (or better) to singleplayer rewards.

Just my thoughts.
Feel like the range should be about 3 screens. I just hate the bad habit random folks seem to have to run ahead while you're still busy fighting mobs and oftentimes it becomes a fair distance due to them wanting to clump the next pack, too.