Issues with MP10

Monk
Hi everyone,

I'm kind of new to my Monk again. Been browsing the forums to try and get a build to play MP10 on and went with EP/Bells. I still find that I'm dying quite a bit and not taking down elites particularly fast. Is there a glaring issue with my Monk or is it just playstyle? A quick snapshot of my stats:

HP: about 50k
Armor: about 4.9k
DPS: 180k (unbuffed)
AS: 2.21 (dual sword)
LS: 5.8%
Dex: about 2.9k
AR: 600 (w/ OWE)
EHP: 525k (last I checked...)

I seem to be at the law of 5s but still failing. Any suggestions?
I think it's playstyle. Your stats seem fine. The EP/Bells works best for white mob farming. It gets trickier for elite farming cause you do tend to die more. Here are my thoughts:

1. Try swapping out Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap for Quickening to get spirit faster so you can drop bells faster. Drop a few bells once your spirit pool hits 80%, replenish, repeat. Don't let your pool drop all the way since you need to counter certain situations.

2. Also, if you are gunning for elites, use Resolve instead of Exalted Soul to keep you alive.

3. You probably need a mobility skill. Most dual wielders use Dashing Strike Quicksilver. Use that instead of Breath of Heaven.

4. With Quickening, you'll get spirit faster so you won't need Palm - strong spirit. Switch to Flesh is weak to do do more damage.
Thanks for the quick response! I've been swapping skills in and out trying to stay alive more.

02/06/2014 10:50 AMPosted by Ireneaus
The EP/Bells works best for white mob farming. It gets trickier for elite farming cause you do tend to die more.

Ohhh yeah. Noticed that big time. Mainly just trying to get to 5 stacks and then do crypts.

1. Try swapping out Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap for Quickening to get spirit faster so you can drop bells faster. Drop a few bells once your spirit pool hits 80%, replenish, repeat. Don't let your pool drop all the way since you need to counter certain situations.

Yup, had that in previously. Upped my attack speed by going 2x sword instead of axe/sword to see if then I could use thunderclap. No is the answer. Back to quickening I go!

2. Also, if you are gunning for elites, use Resolve instead of Exalted Soul to keep you alive.

Just trying to get my 5 stacks. I'll stick w/ ES then!

3. You probably need a mobility skill. Most dual wielders use Dashing Strike Quicksilver. Use that instead of Breath of Heaven.

Had this on my toolbar too... I need to get better with it. It was frustrating me so I went with BoH to try and get a little more pop (and no success with that). So back to DS:Q I go!

4. With Quickening, you'll get spirit faster so you won't need Palm - strong spirit. Switch to Flesh is weak to do do more damage.

There's the oomph I was looking for then. I'll have to swap that tonight.

Thanks for your help! I know I have to work on my playstyle a bit more. I didn't see a glaring issue of why I was getting pounded. Practice makes perfect I guess. Thanks again!
Oh I see what you are doing now.

I am farming EXP with white mobs as well. The only change I make for the elites is that I swap in a Stone of Jordan to kill the elites faster then swap it back out once I get 5 NV.
AHHHHHH! Awesome. I have a SoJ to use and everythin. I"ll give that a go tonight. Thanks again. Much appreciated.
I find blinding flash/FITL to be very useful for this build over blazing wrath. Allows you to "burst" your damage and quickly detonate EPed packs before they can disperse. Is also great for bursting damage against elites--with exalted soul and a full spirit pool you can hit blind and drop 5 bells in a row on them.

Your stats are looking very good so i think once you get more practice/experience with the playstyle survivability should improve greatly.
Awesome! Thanks Reeby! I'll have to give that a go as well this weekend. I like that I have options. Good to hear my stats look good as well! I'll just start banking for RoS now and not worry about gear really and just concentrate on play and gaining levels until RoS. Thanks!!!
Hi AMazzing bro,

I'm running EP/Bell as well (among other builds like Nirvana) on MP10 with similar stats to yours on my monk. No problems so far although I have less resists compared to you.

IMO, if you swap out Quickening for Rising Tide, it will help with your spirit regeneration when you're mobbed. Also, you're lacking a mobility skill to get out of bull charges, frozen etc. Hence I'm suggesting you swap out FitL for DSQ or TR.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I was trying out FitL for group play and seeing how that would work out for nice burst damage. I might go for DS:Q to help me live. Also I want to try rising tide. I'm intrigued. Thanks for your help!
ep/bells is super overrated no matter what anyone says. the videos they post don't show how many times they die trying to stand in the middle of a pack with a slow skorn and use ep. even with a skorn i like using nirvana over ep/bells every time. same goes for fot quickening and cw rising tide, too slow with a 2h to sit there in a pack and use without dieing plenty of times. ive worked hard on my gear and have tried several different gear combos and builds since i started with my monk on d3's release date, and i have also played with a couple high level monks with absolute god gear and they still die a lot trying to use ep bells on mp10. nirvana is way better period. you can also drop sweeping wind if you want to add ep or blinding flash for even better damage. dont get me wrong, ep is good in party play and good in the combo strike builds, but with bells it becomes slow clumsy way too often.
Honestly skorn using LTK is far more damage than bells given the spirit regen plus you can rune in the stun with it. Bells damage is huge but not nearly as useful a spamable stun when you spec properly. Rising tide plus 100 fist runed for AS with dual strikes = easy mode. I found using TR to avoid damage to be far better than trying to use dashing strike, though it still better for fast travel. I have almost zero spirit issues, damage or healing problems on my skorn monk. At this point I find EP useless except for burning during crypt runs because I knock out so much damage with LTK. I also find that cyclone generation with CW rising tide comes close to that of DW against packs while still able to crank out 1.5m+ crits. Doesn't hurt that base cyclone damage is also higher.
@xApeiros - I gave Nirvana a try. It was fun. I messed w/ Transgression as well as Overawe for mantras. Both fun. Dropping infinite bells for 5s was a lot of fun. I like it about the same as EP/Bells.

@
Madholm - I'm not a big fan of Skorn. Just a personal preference. I prefer to DW.
playstyle, i have lower def stats than you with single LS. add me in game and i can show you builds that will work without requiring you to purchase upgrades in ah.
Awesome thanks DEATHLOCK! I will add you tonight.