Concern over Blizzard Advertsing

General Discussion
1 2 3 25 Next
reread the mystic description [copied below described by Blizzard for RoS (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11337855)]:

"Enchanting:
Have you ever looted an item whose stats were almost perfect, but one property just wasn't quite what you had hoped for? Or perhaps you found an item you love, but are starting to outgrow its power? With Enchanting, you will be able to reroll one property on a Rare or Legendary item simply by speaking to Myriam, opening up her Enchant menu, and then paying a material cost. It's that easy!

While not all properties can be rerolled, most can, and you'll be able to reroll a single property over and over again, as many times as you like. This allows Enchanting to feel meaningful, while still allowing lots of room for you to hunt for even better base items (which, of course, you can then Enchant into even more powerful items, and so on)."

To answer your question Blizzard, I have looted an item that I would love to reroll. I pre-ordered RoS so I could, but now you say I can't :-( Is this fair? Appropriate?
Same could and has been said about pvp/team pvp. They say or promote only to strip away! I have yet to understand what they are thinking along these "id like to say, So called promises" !
I am not here to agree or disagree with the decision, but to point out the advertisement is legally correct whether we like it or not. They never specifically state that Legacy items can be enchanted and have long said that the Mystic was an expansion only feature. In quite a few games legacy items that are not part of the expansion can't be used with expansion mechanics. That is why players keep asking "can we enchant Legacy Legendaries" - because it is not clear from the description what can and can't be enchanted. The game is still under development and they have made it clear lots of things are being tested and changed. This is why I try not to get too attached to any feature/process I see in Beta and when I answer player questions I try to preface it by saying "this is how it currently works"
02/05/2014 08:33 AMPosted by MissCheetah
I am not here to agree or disagree with the decision, but to point out the advertisement is legally correct whether we like it or not. They never specifically state that Legacy items can be enchanted and have long said that the Mystic was an expansion only feature. In quite a few games legacy items that are not part of the expansion can't be used with expansion mechanics. That is why players keep asking "can we enchant Legacy Legendaries" - because it is not clear from the description what can and can't be enchanted. The game is still under development and they have made it clear lots of things are being tested and changed. This is why I try not to get too attached to any feature/process I see in Beta and when I answer player questions I try to preface it by saying "this is how it currently works"

its unfortunate that due to the drip feed of information by blizzard players pounce on everything they say, blizzard know this and have often commented this is one reasons why they hold back on information until it is clear.
With this in mind the blue posters are extremely influential with the player base. Blizzard fully understand this. This decision could of been taken months ago, instead the gravy train of the rmah has rolled on until 5 weeks berfore its officially closed. Now, dont anyone be cynical oc. Sorry for you guys that have spent 1 cent on it.

I think it says a lot that you feel you have to come into this equipped with the 'from a legal standpoint...' argument. Whether Blizzard has the legal right to pull the rug under peoples feet is completely irrelevant.

Regarding what's clear and what's not, I think it couldn't possibly become more clear than this:

While there is sure to be a plethora of new weapons, exquisite armor, and other trinkets to discover in Reaper of Souls, what item looks are you eager to collect for Transmogrification purposes after Reaper of Souls launches? Do you have any current items you're looking forward to Enchanting? Let us know in the comments below!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11337855
02/05/2014 08:59 AMPosted by Vresiberba

I think it says a lot that you feel you have to come into this equipped with the 'from a legal standpoint...' argument. Whether Blizzard has the legal right to pull the rug under peoples feet is completely irrelevant.

Regarding what's clear and what's not, I think it couldn't possibly become more clear than this:

While there is sure to be a plethora of new weapons, exquisite armor, and other trinkets to discover in Reaper of Souls, what item looks are you eager to collect for Transmogrification purposes after Reaper of Souls launches? Do you have any current items you're looking forward to Enchanting? Let us know in the comments below!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11337855

I think you are reading a lot into the statement "from a legal standpoint". In any case, it was in context to a prior post above and is also true (the green's reply).

I think everyone should just take a deeeeeeeep breath and not be too hasty here. It's a free game anyway... the way some posters talk, it's as if their tax payer dollars are being blown on hookers and blow.
the advertisement is legally correct whether we like it or not.

Bait and switch marketing may be "legally correct," but that doesn't make it any less reprehensible.

The Beta Streams who have been exhibiting RoS are the primary marketing tool for Blizzard, (even as evidenced by their recently "paid vacations" to Paris.)

For months the streamers have been showing the player base how legacy items could have a single stat re-roll as a major feature of the X-pac.

Now in the 11th hour, Blizzard is reneging.

As Adastra just wrote on the Beta forum: "Night before the Wedding: By the way honey, there will be no reception after the wedding."

I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised though, should we Blizzard?
02/05/2014 09:04 AMPosted by Sepulchura
It's a free game anyway
false
I tell you guys, they are just baby stepping towards not allowing almost anything to go from vanilla to RoS. I said when RoS was announced that you'd have to make new characters and leave it all behind, and people laughed. But that is how it has worked in virtually every other ARPG with an expansion.

The truth is Blizzard just feared to drop that bombshell at that time, when it was all so hostile.

Expect them to continue to baby step towards you having to give up everything. Because it makes zero sense to have a new game with a new economy and new items, etc, and allow any legacy crap in at all. That defeats the whole purpose.

2 Things:

1) Blues up until yesterday stated D3V items could be enchanted
2) This is not some obscure post that was pointed too. It is Blizzard's original and "current" description of the mystic. (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11337855)]:
The game is in beta they can change whatever they want. There is no bait and switch because they never stated that the old gear could be upgraded. The streamers are playing beta, you do understand that right?
I plan on playing the game as replacing gear as I go.
I have laugh. First Boa and now the third party sites are stuffed with soon to be useless gear. It can't get much sweeter.

It is a game remember. If you can't except changes you should take a deep and hard look at your life.
Keep in mind:

This game is made by Activision-Blizzard. Blizzard as a company ceased to exist as its own in 2008. Similarities include the logo, and some employees.....Activision's name is first on the bill for a reason. $$$$$$$$$$$$ dictates what the customer wants, not the customer.
02/05/2014 09:30 AMPosted by DeadRu
There is no bait and switch because they never stated that the old gear could be upgraded.

They most certainly have been implying it, so maybe it's "technically legal," but it's still a bait and switch practice that's morally reprehensible.
I think you are reading a lot into the statement "from a legal standpoint".

I don't think so. The excuse (because it really is an excuse) that 'it may be a-holery, but it's legal a-holery' is scraping the barrel, really.

In any case, it was in context to a prior post above and is also true (the green's reply).

Wrong. No-one had brought up the legal consequences of the false advertising point before MissCheetah's post.
02/05/2014 09:30 AMPosted by DeadRu
The game is in beta they can change whatever they want.

Yeah, sure. The they-can-do-whatever-they-want is probably, ney, the worst excuse of them all.
02/05/2014 09:28 AMPosted by MicroRNA

2 Things:

1) Blues up until yesterday stated D3V items could be enchanted
2) This is not some obscure post that was pointed too. It is Blizzard's original and "current" description of the mystic. (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11337855)]:

Would that be the one that has the header
"Reaper of Souls™ First Look: The Mystic"

because it is not clear from the description what can and can't be enchanted. The game is still under development and they have made it clear lots of things are being tested and changed. This is why I try not to get too attached to any feature/process I see in Beta and when I answer player questions I try to preface it by saying "this is how it currently works"

Well now you have the definitive answer
"Posted by Nevalistis
In the next Beta patch, Legacy items (or items that drop prior to Patch 2.0.1) will no longer be able to be enchanted".

So there we have it. like it or not, agree or not you have an answer. People ask why doesn't blizzard give more information and this is a good example. Ant thing someone likes that may change is considered a lie. I guess we glossed over the First Look: The Mystic" part of the title. First look is not a conclusive statement.