Who canonically defeated the Prime Evil?

Lore and Story
Canonically it was my female Wizard who defeated the Prime Evil.

The reason of why it has to be the female Wizard is because only the female wizard actually makes use of the power of being a Nephalem by being the only one who channels and uses the magic that is heightened by being such a powerful Nephalem.

The Wizard's story however is all about how super powerful the Wizard is and how she continuously seeks to grow even stronger, how she seeks to constantly increase her power so that she can overcome even death itself and anyone else who might seek to challenge the authority she can assert because of her incredible power.

That's really the same reason why DBZ and Yu Yu Hakusho worked the way they did. The only thing that made a difference between any of the characters was how much energy they could generate and channel in their attacks and defenses. The more energy you could generate and put into your attacks, the more powerful those attacks become. Conversely the more energy you could channel into your defense the more damage you could nullify and defend against. That's why Mr. Saitan who is supposed to be a really skilled fighter could never defeat Goku, as Mr. Satan can't channel any energy at all whereas Goku can channel an incredibly massive amount of energy. That also explains the difference between Goku and his BFF Krillin, Krillin could never defeat Goku or anyone on Goku's level because he simply can't channel enough energy to overcome the amount of energy that Goku passively channels into his body to act as a defense.

The other characters in the game, the Barb, WD and DH, don't actually channel their energy into their attacks so their attacks and defenses are limited. I would argue that those characters don't even use energy at all. The Barb relies on his armor and weapon to do damage, his attacks and energy being limited by the materials and the laws of physics. The DH is the same as the DH relies on crossbows and physical items to deal damage. The WD relies on spirits and animated corpses to deal damage (and corpses are probably the most useless source of damage considering that they are dead bodies that are literally falling apart while being animated). The Monk perhaps also channels energy, but there is just something about the Monk's ideology and beliefs that make me believe that they just don't have it in them to defeat Diablo and become the Nephalem. The new Crusader has the same problem as the Monk, she just doesn't have the mindset that would enable her to seek out and acquire the power that would be needed to defeat Diablo nor the ability to bring a tremendous magical power to bear against the Prime Evil.
03/23/2014 06:15 PMPosted by Dreadman
Hmmmm ... Tyreal says "Go find the Nephalem!" at the end of the RoS cinematic.

.... It's awfully convenient that "Nephalem" is both singular and plural ..... ;-)

Lord Dreadman

Well it's like this in english, but in german (for example) it's either

"Geh, finde DEN nephalem" (singular)

or

"Geh, findeT DIE nephalem" (plural)

So they had to decide this at least in the german version ;-)
But since I'm playing the english version I can't tell you how they translated this :D
03/28/2014 11:57 AMPosted by Ishtar
The reason of why it has to be the female Wizard is because only the female wizard actually makes use of the power of being a Nephalem by being the only one who channels and uses the magic that is heightened by being such a powerful Nephalem.

Wait... What? Just because the Wizard uses magic the most doesn't mean that canonically she was the one to defeat the Prime Evil.

To me it seems that Nephalem power comes more from strength of will which amplifies whatever they are trying to do(Tho I guess you could say that their strength of will is the magic that is doing the amplification.). Take a look at Bul-Kathos, a Nephalem that believes in martial discipline strength more so then spiritual/magical strength(tho he won't deny that magic can be strong too.).

Because of that it means that any character could canonically be the one that defeated the Prime Evil... if blizzard decides to say that it was only one hero instead of a group.
04/17/2014 07:05 AMPosted by Takuma
03/28/2014 11:57 AMPosted by Ishtar

Wait... What? Just because the Wizard uses magic the most doesn't mean that canonically she was the one to defeat the Prime Evil.

To me it seems that Nephalem power comes more from strength of will which amplifies whatever they are trying to do(Tho I guess you could say that their strength of will is the magic that is doing the amplification.). Take a look at Bul-Kathos, a Nephalem that believes in martial discipline strength more so then spiritual/magical strength(tho he won't deny that magic can be strong too.).

Because of that it means that any character could canonically be the one that defeated the Prime Evil... if blizzard decides to say that it was only one hero instead of a group.

Not to mention he claims "Only the female wizard uses the power of the nephalem.." with that line of thinking. Why can't the male? Who says the male doesn't? That doesn't make sense.
I've got a feeling that a fair number of every classes' abilities do things that "normal" versions of their groups can't do.
For example, the barbarian summoning the guardian spirits of Arreat at will, and calling down a bolt of lightning through the power of he or she being just that angry.
The story is 'written' by our characters, the nephalem.

Might be different from the topic but, who do you think is the most fit as the canonical hero? I have my opinion but I'll comment later.
Since short stories make it clear that hero of each class was going to investigate the fallen star, the answer is really simple. They all defeated Diablo, together.

Some Barbarian; Anajinn and Lilsa; Valla; unnamed, but respected monk of unknown gender; unnamed male heretic Witch Doctor; and Li-Ming met either in Tristram or nearby and after some discussion decided to join their efforts and fight evil together.

And yes, they all were Neplalem since this word is not a name or a title of one single person, it refers to the entire race.

I am only not sure about the Barbarian. Kehr Odwyll is said to be guarding the Iron Path but the story doesn't tell us for how long or where did he go next (probably to his lover Tehra in a far away land?) The problem here is that every other story mentions the player's character one way or another. Every each one, except Barbarian's. Also, Barbarian in game says he is old and only death awaits him. Which kinda hints he is not Kehr. But there are no mention of other Barbarians in that story (apart from those who perished when the Worldstone blew up)
Of course, the answer is deliberately vague. That said, if there were to be a canonical hero, I'd go with one that fits well with the overall story.

The monk and the witch doctor seem too out of place to be canonical heroes. Ivgorod and Teganze aren't even mentioned in the campaign if you play as another character.

Although I haven't played as the crusader, the corruption of the Zakarum church plays a large part in their background story but it's not really a theme in Diablo 3, so they also seem a bit out of place to me.

The wizard has a connection to Caldeum and the barbarian has a connection to Arreat Crater so their background at least ties in with certain parts of the story. If the story were ret-conned with multiple heroes, I feel like the wizard and barbarian should be the ones who slew Belial and Azmodan, respectively.

Otherwise, that leaves us with Valla, the demon hunter. She has a nice, generic background that seems to fit in well with Diablo 3's story.
I believe the nephalem is plural just as Uldyssian called his followers the Edyrem.
05/22/2014 12:24 AMPosted by DesmondTiny
I believe the nephalem is plural just as Uldyssian called his followers the Edyrem.

Yes, "Nephalem" is singular and plural.
The answer is here, on this site all along. Follow the link and read:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/the-story-of-diablo/?page=27

The official story repeatedly refers to the Nephalem heroes in plural.