PTR experience

General Discussion
Posted on PTR Feedback forum:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/11864303/

------------

Today I took my D3v HC barb to see how would be the transition to the new patch, and this is what happened.

I just reached inferno and stopped playing (booored), my stats were really poor:
http://i.imgur.com/ACm2reF.png

With these stats in PTR, the best I could start was 'Hard' difficulty. With around 29k DPS, risk something harder wouldn't be good.

Then I played it for 6 hours, and this is what I got:
http://i.imgur.com/Ohe4iKD.png

A total of 7 legendaries, and a bunch of rares that were upgrades as well. With these new stats (not so great DPS [78k], but a good toughness [887k]), I could "tank" Torment1, and kill quite nicely.

With this experience, I'd like to say a few things:

- Drop rates are fine. Every 20-30 minutes I found an upgrade. Every 45-60 minutes I found a legendary. The number of useful gear will obviously reduce as my gear gets better, but these drop rates are good enough, otherwise I'd hit a gear wall VERY VERY QUICKLY.

- The curve of damage reduction from 'All Resists' from vanilla to PTR seems to be very different. I'm not sure about the numbers, but looks like 600 AR in vanilla are like 300 AR in PTR. What I noticed is that I could drop a few items with AR to get more damage and it barely affected my toughness. This helped the transition a lot.

- XP in PTR seems to be high, but I think it is in a good rate. I leveled 20 paragon levels in 6 hours, and the paragon XP bar was starting @ 70% or so (for tests, I suppose?). If you think about the benefit of a single paragon point and the rate you get it (1 point every ~35 minutes, start @ 70%), it isn't fast at all.

- The 'Trifecta effect' still exists and is very annoying. Despite the loot you get be useful and some legendaries have those awesome affixes, I was still looking for the necessary 'CC > CD > AS', and 'Main stat > Vit > AR'. I'd suggest to make 'CC > CD > AS' and 'Main stat > Vit > AR' to roll only on a few types of gear, like gloves and rings, and 'Chest/pants armor', respectively. Since the other pieces wouldn't roll these stats, we could look for other stats that are considered 'crap' in the current mechanics.

- PLEASE, make gems and crafting mats be picked up automatically. I obviously want to get all of them (just like gold and health potions) and it's very annoying to click-click-click them everywhere. Also, all them became fixed items in my inventory. They will be looted anyway and they will stack to 1000, so why bother stashing or w/e? :P

- After playing only 6 hours, I could handle Torment 1. Unless the difficulty through Torment levels scale a lot, I'm afraid the game will need a BIG boost in difficulty. I think drop rates should stay like this so the player can feel rewarded, but the difficulty needs to get way higher on every step.

Comments? Thanks.
02/09/2014 09:29 PMPosted by Khaoz
- Drop rates are fine. Every 20-30 minutes I found an upgrade. Every 45-60 minutes I found a legendary. The number of useful gear will obviously reduce as my gear gets better, but these drop rates are good enough, otherwise I'd hit a gear wall VERY VERY QUICKLY.

I have found no upgrades with more PTR time playing. As you say, it may be because my gear gives 220dps in PTR. But this to me is the problem. We were led to believe we would get better gear, and more drops, giving a real choice as to what combinations we could play.

As it is, I do not believe we will ever find a set or good legs or rares without many excessive hours of grinding through reduced mobs and nerfed skills.

Most of my gear has been self found, swapped or given to me from mates (who I also helped out).
The Innas and Witching Hour were GAH. But over the time from day 1 until now, I found/crafted items regularly enough to keep interest going. I cannot see this happening now from what I have found on PTR and read on forums.
02/09/2014 09:55 PMPosted by Eribuss
I have found no upgrades with more PTR time playing. As you say, it may be because my gear gives 220dps in PTR. But this to me is the problem. We were led to believe we would get better gear, and more drops, giving a real choice as to what combinations we could play.

As it is, I do not believe we will ever find a set or good legs or rares without many excessive hours of grinding through reduced mobs and nerfed skills.

I think it's logical that we would have a hard time on finding upgrades if we have top-tier gear on vanilla, but I understand the frustration here. Perhaps this could be solved by making what some players suggested already:
- Add twice as more legendaries as we have now.
- Add more, better and different affixes to legendaries, to synergyse with skills, other items, environment, etc.
- Make trifecta less mandatory.

- PLEASE, make gems and crafting mats be picked up automatically. I obviously want to get all of them (just like gold and health potions) and it's very annoying to click-click-click them everywhere. Also, all them became fixed items in my inventory. They will be looted anyway and they will stack to 1000, so why bother stashing or w/e? :P
Does someone else had a similar experience?
You should repost this in the appropriate PTR section.

Some good points made in here. I have repeatedly asked for auto pick up of gems and crafting mats. Not sure why that is so difficult.
I am currently walking through the game myself. Not at lvl 60 yet, but recently killed diablo.

My report so far is here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11674147755

I think this forum section is best for reports like yours. Nice read.

Can you maybe repost in the PTR section?

And can you maybe tell -why- you felt this current boringness?
02/09/2014 09:29 PMPosted by Khaoz
Today I took my D3v HC barb to see how would be the transition to the new patch, and this is what happened.

I just reached inferno and stopped playing (booored), my stats were really poor:
http://i.imgur.com/ACm2reF.png

With these stats in PTR, the best I could start was 'Hard' difficulty. With around 29k DPS, risk something harder wouldn't be good.

Then I played it for 6 hours, and this is what I got:
http://i.imgur.com/Ohe4iKD.png

A total of 7 legendaries, and a bunch of rares that were upgrades as well. With these new stats (not so great DPS [78k], but a good toughness [887k]), I could "tank" Torment1, and kill quite nicely.

With this experience, I'd like to say a few things:

- The curve of damage reduction from 'All Resists' from vanilla to PTR seems to be very different. I'm not sure about the numbers, but looks like 600 AR in vanilla are like 300 AR in PTR. What I noticed is that I could drop a few items with AR to get more damage and it barely affected my toughness. This helped the transition a lot.

- XP in PTR seems to be high, but I think it is in a good rate. I leveled 20 paragon levels in 6 hours, and the paragon XP bar was starting @ 70% or so (for tests, I suppose?). If you think about the benefit of a single paragon point and the rate you get it (1 point every ~35 minutes, start @ 70%), it isn't fast at all.

- The 'Trifecta effect' still exists and is very annoying. Despite the loot you get be useful and some legendaries have those awesome affixes, I was still looking for the necessary 'CC > CD > AS', and 'Main stat > Vit > AR'. I'd suggest to make 'CC > CD > AS' and 'Main stat > Vit > AR' to roll only on a few types of gear, like gloves and rings, and 'Chest/pants armor', respectively. Since the other pieces wouldn't roll these stats, we could look for other stats that are considered 'crap' in the current mechanics.

- After playing only 6 hours, I could handle Torment 1. Unless the difficulty through Torment levels scale a lot, I'm afraid the game will need a BIG boost in difficulty. I think drop rates should stay like this so the player can feel rewarded, but the difficulty needs to get way higher on every step.

Comments? Thanks.

You know they have a PTR general feedback forum right? Just saying...
02/10/2014 06:25 AMPosted by xxxLawDogxxx
You should repost this in the appropriate PTR section.

I posted there:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/11674517795

02/10/2014 06:25 AMPosted by xxxLawDogxxx
Some good points made in here. I have repeatedly asked for auto pick up of gems and crafting mats. Not sure why that is so difficult.

I hope some blue read them, at least. :/

02/10/2014 06:31 AMPosted by RobinHood
And can you maybe tell -why- you felt this current boringness?

I didn't feel bored in PTR!! I was bored back in vanilla... I'm actually having a blast in PTR! ^_^